Permanent charms

Cthulhu_Wakes

Black Sun in a White World
Seeing as this is becoming common practice with 2nd Ed, let's think up some more. Now, bear in mind I haven't read all of the charms yet, so I know there are some I missed. I like a lot of these ideas from Neph.

http://exalted.xi.co.nz/wiki/wiki.pl?Th ... nentCharms

Now using these ideas, what can anyone think up? Perhaps some requirements for the ideas above? I really like 'em.

Number 10 on his list now exists in 2nd Ed.

In addition to the new permanents in 2nd Ed, sidereals have a number of permanents that might inspire people. Things like regaining motes when you use virtues.

Regarding the idea of permanents that enhance anima abilities, maybe:

• Dawn - better DV bonus; reduced cost; maybe Mail & Steel benefits?
  • Zenth - return of the "aggravated damage from a distance" power; reduced cost; regeneration of wounds caused by creatures of darkness; increased soak bonus (or maybe hardness)
  • Twilight - (probably tough enough already but) reduced cost; if all damage would be absorbed, can spend 1m per level to reflect it back at attacker
  • Night - mute sorcery displays; subtract Essence from cost of muting charm, min cost 1; the veil increases difficulty by full Essence; reduce cost of veil
  • Eclipse - reduce cost to sanctifiy; ability to know when oaths are broken and by whom; reduce xp cost to learn foreign charms by Essence; no mote cost to use foreign charms.

I'm curious as to what the Dragon Blooded and Lunars will build off of the Excellencies with. The idea of a charm that reduces the cost of in-element charms for a scene while immersed in your element is in the back of me brain.

You know, I really hate those house charms for other Exalted that mimic Essence Engorgement Technique.  I think making those charms really take away from Abyssals.  I mean they're basically slaves to the Deathlords and in order to refill the blood pool they have to commit a very heinous act, so there's that drawback to that charm.  Abyssals have that charm because they need it because going back and forth between Creation and the Underworld can cause difficulties in regaining Essence.  The other Exalted don't need that because they're such a part of Creation while Abyssals are caught between Creation and the Underworld.  Yeah, Lunars hang out in the Wyld, but they're not a part of the Wyld; it's just where they were exiled to during the Usurpation.  It was because they're not a part of the Wyld that they had to consolidate three castes into one, and the three current castes remain only because of moonsilver tattoos.  And all the gods in Yu-Shan are quite used to the Sidereals beside them but even then the Chosen of the Maidens are somewhat out of place in Heaven because it is a place for gods and they are something else.  Dragon-Blooded have Breeding to increase their Essence pool, but then again, like the Abyssals, they need it.  To give it to the Solar Exalted just because Abyssals have it is silly.

Abyssal: "Well, even though I hated to do it, my Deathlord forced me to slaughter the Outcaste and his family because he was a problem for my master.  Because the patriarch had several children and grandchildren that were Dragon-Blooded, I'm all out of my essence and the only hearthstones I have are from the Underworld because my Deathlord doesn't have a presence in Creation and I can't wait for it to regain naturally because the Outcaste's Dragon-Blooded allies were alerted during the attack and now they're coming after me.  I can't escape to the Underworld because the nearest shadowland is over 500 miles away.  Now, I'll have to feed on the villagers I come across as I play a game of cat-and-mouse and defend myself from these Terrestrials.  Because of all the motes I'll have to spend to ensure my victory, this region will soon know a murderous terror that wasn't imagined even during the travails and troubles of the Contaigion.  But what can I do?  I must, for it is my master's command and my sole purpose to exist now and to betray that would be to invite Oblivion, which is worse than the death I sought to deny."

Solar: "Okay.  I'm Exalted because I'm the best and now I'm the best of all the Exalted.  Even though I'm supposed to follow the dictates of the Unconquered Sun, he's been pretty hands-off these past few millenia, and since he's the god of being the best, I'm supposed to be the best at what I do, which is killing things for no reason at all.  Because I kill so many people so often and use charms to make the splattering of blood and the splintering of bone really flashy, I go through essence pretty fast.  There were many times when after razing a village just because the fried chicken wasn't as good as I thought it should be I was ambushed by Exalted who came to stop me.  It was pretty rough when that happened, but I managed to get out of those scrapes, and it wasn't all that tough because of all the hearthstones I have mean that I wait for a coupleathree hours and I have enough of a pool to take care after anybody after me.  Now that I have Blazing Soul Discipline, though, I'm not nearly as worried as I was before, which wasn't much anyway.  I just get up early in the morning to cut down a dozen peasants with a single swing of my grand daiklaive and by the time I've collapsed all the buildings, it should be around lunchtime and then, BAM! my radiant pool replenishes.  I admit that I don't really need it but I have to be the best at what I do and having it sure does help.  Yeah it would help if I ever lose access to my hearthstones, but, then again, come on! when is that ever going to happen?"

wordman said:
Regarding the idea of permanents that enhance anima abilities, maybe:
  • Dawn - better DV bonus; reduced cost; maybe Mail & Steel benefits?
  • Zenth - return of the "aggravated damage from a distance" power; reduced cost; regeneration of wounds caused by creatures of darkness; increased soak bonus (or maybe hardness)
  • Twilight - (probably tough enough already but) reduced cost; if all damage would be absorbed, can spend 1m per level to reflect it back at attacker
  • Night - mute sorcery displays; subtract Essence from cost of muting charm, min cost 1; the veil increases difficulty by full Essence; reduce cost of veil
  • Eclipse - reduce cost to sanctifiy; ability to know when oaths are broken and by whom; reduce xp cost to learn foreign charms by Essence; no mote cost to use foreign charms.
I don't like charms that have to do with animas.  Animas are intrinsic to a caste while charms are techniques used to enhance skills with motes of Essence.  Charms are based on the abilities of an Exalted, not their caste.

alohahaha said:
You know, I really hate those house charms for other Exalted that mimic Essence Engorgement Technique. b]
"huh?" theirs no such charm?

I've heard of an Essence engorgement Technique... that Mimics Immanent Solar glory, but not any charms that mimic Essence Engorgment Technique.

sure your not imagining something.

alohahaha said:
I don't like charms that have to do with animas.  Animas are intrinsic to a caste while charms are techniques used to enhance skills with motes of Essence.  Charms are based on the abilities of an Exalted, not their caste.
What's your response to the canonical Prismatic Arrangement of Creation Charm that interacts with the anima banner?  Or that Lunars have Charms which are NOT based on their Abilities?

alohahaha said:
You know' date=' I really hate those house charms for other Exalted that mimic Essence Engorgement Technique. b']
"huh?" theirs no such charm?
Notice that he spoke of house Charms... As in player-created.   :)

memesis said:
alohahaha said:
What's your response to the canonical Prismatic Arrangement of Creation Charm that interacts with the anima banner?  Or that Lunars have Charms which are NOT based on their Abilities?
My response is that PAoC style is pretty silly.  The developers aren't infallible from making silly and bad decisions.  And I thought it was pretty much assumed that while Lunar and Alchemical Charms are based on Attributes and not their Abilities, they're still not based on their caste.

And, truth be told, I didn't know about Immanent Solar Glory until it was just mentioned.  Before 2E there were quite a lot of players and STs trying to come up with a Solar analog to Essence Engorgement Technique.  And to be honest, I think Immanent Solar Glory is kind of stupid itself.  At least that's my opinion on it.

theirs a valid reason for it... they dont want the abyssals to have too big an edge in summoning Demons or elementals, or imbuing amalgrams (where usualy, you spend the entirety of your essence pool)

alohahaha said:
memesis said:
alohahaha said:
My response is that PAoC style is pretty silly.  The developers aren't infallible from making silly and bad decisions.
QFE. I really hate the fact that a lot of siderial martial arts charms are on the level of solar charms. it is not logical and it does in no way fit the theme of the siderials which is far worse. don't get me wrong, I really love the siddies (apart from kejak, he is just silly), but I think the devs did do them no good here.

Celestial level martial arts are workable combat. and I didn't even mind if they had some exta perks which were a tad mightier, but SMA is just idiotic, not all of it, but chrismatic arrangement of creation surely is.

what is this "charismatic arrangement of creation"

I like prismatic arrangment of creation though.

oh... any ideas for new permanent charms?

I liked the "permanent charms that make other charms work more effectively.

at least I remembered what word it was :D

Anyway.

any ideas for new permanent charms?

I'd say enhancing social charms is good.

Iron Hide Prana

Cost: 2m Mins: Resistance 5, Essence 3 Type: Permanent (Step 7)

Keywords: Obvious

Prerequisite Charms: Iron Kettle Body

This charm enhances Iron Kettle body and allows the lawgiver to reflexively invoke the effect of iron skin concentration, i.e. for 2 motes of essence he rolls stamina+resistance against the attackers essence (max difficulty is six) and on success the attack is negated, on failure he gets the usual armour bonus. This does not count as a charm use.

I kinda like this one, I ponder on adding the following to the charm text: As soon as the exalts anima banner reaches the 11+ this power becomes automatic.

But then I would probably have to bump up essence min to 4.

one more thing...

the medicine charms... that are permanent... but you must spend this much essence to achieve a certain effect with... am I correct in assuming that because your just spending essence (not activating a charm) that you can use it and another charm without a combo.

For eample... wholeness restoring meditation and Instant treatment methodolagy.

one more thing...
the medicine charms... that are permanent... but you must spend this much essence to achieve a certain effect with... am I correct in assuming that because your just spending essence (not activating a charm) that you can use it and another charm without a combo.
No, you are wrong. As long as the charm doesn't state that this doesn't count as a charm use it counts as one... duh.

Safim said:
one more thing...
No, you are wrong. As long as the charm doesn't state that this doesn't count as a charm use it counts as one... duh.
The description of permanent Charms states "Most permanent Charms require the character to spend Essence to take full advantage of their effects, but doing so does not count as a Charm or an action."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back