• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Paintbrushes and the Complexities of Love

MyUsualTriumph

Chocohoe
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Does anyone else start writing in character and find these backstories you didn't know existed? A brief drabble for two of my favorite OCs that turned into something I didn't quite expect. I kind of like the way it turned out, and might go back and edit it later so that it's not so rough.

- Simply

~

“I'm an artist, I'm allowed to be covered in paint.”

“You're a sociology major, and-” Kieran let out a rather undignified “umph” as something cold and wet was spread across his face. With the back of his hand, the tall boy wiped his lips. He should not have been surprised when his hand came back purple. “As I was saying, I'm pretty sure this is the first time you've held a- hey!” This time his “friend” dragged the paintbrush across the front of his shirt. Kieran recoiled at the cold, staring at his shirt incredulously.

“Just because this is the first time I've held a paintbrush, doesn't mean that I'm not an artist.” Finn calmly assessed his friend, tapping the end of the paintbrush to his lip as he considered his next move.

“Yeah, well, you're getting more paint on yourself and on me than on the canvas.” Kieran stared down at his shirt in disdain. The paint was never going to come off. He'd have to go to the store and get a new shirt. A pity, really. This one had been perfect. It buttoned snugly to the top button and was neither too short nor too long for his lanky frame. Shirts like this didn't come around often, but he couldn't bring himself to be frustrated with his friend.

“Maybe I don't wanna paint the canvas anymore.” Finn smirked, and that made Kieran nervous. Finn never smirked. They had only known each other a few months, and Finn was always full of smiles. Never smirks. Smirks were reserved for when he was planning something, and it usually wasn't something that Kieran would like.

“Okay...” Kieran began. He watched cautiously as Finn walked around behind Kieran and towards the kitchen of Finn's studio apartment. It was small, but Finn preferred it to the dorms on campus. Kieran was beginning to find that he held similar sentiments. Hell, he had stayed over so many times, he should probably be on the lease at this point. “Well then maybe I could change and we could pick up something else to paint. Don't they sell wooden boxes or something that you can- hey!”

Kieran leapt forward at the cool touch between his shoulder blades. Goosebumps rose across his forearms and he whipped around to face his friend. Finn appeared quite pleased. Blue eyes sparkling with delight.

“Or I could just paint you.” Finn's voice was soft. It sent a shiver down Kieran's spine, and an ache to his heart. “Purple really is your color...” The older boy mused. “It really highlights how pale your skin is.” Finn dragged the paintbrush down Kieran's jawline. It was total bullshit, and Kieran knew it. Yet how was Finn's bullshit so arousing.

“Finn...” Kieran breathed. Noticing for the first time exactly how close the two were. If he wanted to kiss him, all he'd have to do is lean in.

And he did.

Their lips met. Fire ran through Kieran's blood. He had to have him. Had to have him closer. Kieran parted his lips to explore, when Finn abruptly pulled away. Kieran blinked at his friend, confusion in his eyes. “Finn, what's wrong? Did I misread? Are you okay? Did I-”

“No.” Finn was quick to cut him off. “You did nothing wrong. It's just...” Finn let out a labored sigh. “It's just… This isn't right.” Finn looked out the window, out over the city skyline, anything to avoid looking his friend in the eyes. He wouldn't be able to look himself in the mirror if he acknowledged that he had hurt his friend that badly.

“Kieran...” Finn began cautiously, placing a hand on the younger boy's shoulder in an act of reassurance. “If this is about… If this is confusing at all...” Kieran laughed. Perhaps he shouldn't have. The notion was just too ridiculous.

“You think this is about sexuality? About me being nervous to admit to liking guys?” Kieran laughed again, an empty sound without humor. “Believe me Finn, that ship sailed a long time ago. Physical attraction being restricted by gender? That's ridiculous.” Kieran laughed again, then winced. “Do you really think this is some kind of experiment for me? That I'm just testing the waters because you're safe?” Kieran's voice was barely above a whisper.

“Kieran…” Finn began and his friend turned away from him. “Look.” Finn frowned and ran a hand backwards through his hair, tousling his black locks into wildly different directions. How could he say this? How could he communicate what he was feeling and protect his friend's feelings. “I love you. I love you Kieran, truly, I do. But,” Finn took in a breath, searching his mind for the best way to continue.

“Not in the same way you think you love me.” Finn's voice was hesitant, testing the waters. “You're my best friend, and you're my soul mate. That much I'm certain of. But soul mates come in all sorts. Romantic, platonic… Antagonist soul mates are probably a thing too. Things are perfect right now, and I don't want them to change.”

Finn should have stopped there, but the rapidly impending silence terrified him. “Look, maybe you just romanticize me because I'm the first friend you've made here at school, or maybe because-” “Are you saying it's just some phase? That I'm just protecting my loneliness onto you?” “I mean maybe-”

“Are you saying that my feelings aren't valid?”

“Kieran.” Finn frowned. “You know that's not what I'm saying at all.” Kieran let in a shaky sigh. He was visibly tired, and clearly disappointed.

“Look, I'm going to go get some fresh air.” Finn wanted to call out, to stop him, but he was already out the door. Finn tossed his paintbrush into the sink and grabbed his phone.

But we're still on for pizza and Halo tomorrow night, right?

The reply was almost immediate.

You're so going to lose.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to comment on this ever since stumbling across the thread, but haven't had time until now.

Your writing style is quite enjoyable to read, and even though you commented it as being 'rough', I felt like the story flowed smoothly. Though this was the first time meeting your OCs, I was able to get a good grasp of their personalities and their exchanges felt organic. :)

thistle said:
I've been meaning to comment on this ever since stumbling across the thread, but haven't had time until now.
Your writing style is quite enjoyable to read, and even though you commented it as being 'rough', I felt like the story flowed smoothly. Though this was the first time meeting your OCs, I was able to get a good grasp of their personalities and their exchanges felt organic. :)
Thank you! Nice words are always great to see popping up in my notifications ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back