• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Opposites collide (closed)

Grimwulf

(It's really hard to find a good picture of a Nord guy, so I had to settle.)

It was cold today. Winter was around the corner and signs were showing that the first snowfall of the year was coming. Soon the guards would have to switch to their winter uniforms. They would be crowding around fires and focus less on actually doing their jobs. Which didn't really matter since everyone would be snowed in. The first snow was always the heaviest and coldest. Not of it really mattered to Damon anyway. He had always lived in the snow and it didn't bother him.

He was a fresh face to the guards on Windhelm. He had joined them a month back after he had come into the city on his own with barely enough to get a room and food. He had a decent understanding of swordsmanship and was welcomed into the guards since he was a full blooded nord. There were absolutely no non nords allowed. They were barely allowed into the city. Most stayed in the grey district which housed mostly dark elves. Damon himself didn't hold the prejudice that most of his kind held but to fit in and keep his job he played along.

So he would help scare the occasional dark elf that came to close to the better side of town. If he was on a patrol through the town with other guards he would join in if they ruffed up a dark elf shop or two. It made him sick of himself but he was scared of being kicked out and with no place to go, little money, and winter coming it would be a death sentence. He wasn't very skilled. Using a sword was about the only thing he could do, and he wasn't very good at that.

So as winter crept closer Damon found himself patrolling the streets on his own. He didn't wear his helmet since uniform policies were a little lax, but he still had his armor and sword at his side. He was deep in thought and just took what ever street he felt like. Soon he found himself close to the grey district and he received dark looks from the non nord citizens. He just kept walking down the street. He felt a little uneasy being alone out here but he tried not to let it show. He would just take the quickest rout out of here.

tumblr_nfd8hgDffN1rnzh8wo1_1280.jpg

((i realize this might be huge....but i don't have it on a smaller format))

The shift in weather and temperature became obvious as the wind blew through the streets, causing a draft in most of the homes that were located in the grey quarter. Most inhabitants have been collecting and hiding wood all year around so none of the guards would take it claiming it was stolen only to use it for themselves. Most Dunmer could only handle so much cold before it ached their bodies even after years of living in this country. Madali wasn't as seasoned as most of them living here, she only came upon request of a friend who lived in Ravenrock.

He had said it would be easier for her to see him if she lived near the port in Skyrim that gave regular transport back forth from the Island. Rather than remaining in Morrowind and not gain any access across water at all. She had been lucky that they had allowed her to leave Vvardenfell. She had heard the warnings and stories of the other dunmer that lived in Windhelm, about the Nords. She had heard of it but never thought that it would have been this extreme.

Working for one of the elder Dunmer in exchange of a place to stay and some food she ran basic errands, such as sweeping the dusty floors of the in as well as trying to keep the cold air out. She had only been here a year and it had almost killed her, the cold was nothing she was used to, She was from the warm Ashlands of Vvardenfell and had little experience with cold or snow. With a sigh she put the hammer down having fixed yet another leak. This place was falling apart and the guards were not helping it. She knew what they did.

The owner often ushered her into the secret storage. Saying it was too dangerous for her to be there…a pretty Dunmer girl would be too tempting, he said. She shuddered at the thought. She had been staying up late at night gazing at the stars and praying to Azura for a way out of here. A better way of life for her people, but with the corruption between the houses in the mainland she was sure the Daedra had been busy trying to fix it.

She pulled on the thickest robed she owned along with her hood and grabbed a basket. It was time to get dinner. She placed a few bottles of sujama, which the owner brewed in the secret cellar, to trade for some fish from the Argonians. She covered the bottles with a piece of cloth so none of the guards would see them and stepped outside. She walked outside flinching at the cold wind and began walking towards the port.

Using the back alleys she wanted to avoid any guards if possible. She moved out to the main road only to bump into someone dropping the basket. One of the bottles rolled out and she quickly grabbed it glad that neither of them broke. Looking up she froze still on her knees in the street, her crimson eyes going wide. She had run into a guard. “My apologies I should have been looking where I was going. “ She quickly placed the bottle back into the basket and stood up holding it behind her back. Not noticing the guards coming patrolling from behind.

Damon was looking for the nearest street out of the grey quarter when he bumped into a dark elf woman. She had thought of helping her but the look of terror in her face when she looked up stopped him. She was afraid of him because he was a guard and it hurt him to think that. He didn't want people to fear him, but he was a guard. He was about to help her when he saw two other guards coming the other way. Another patrol but this meant he had to play along again. So he took a deep breath and put on his guard voice.

"You damn dark elf watch where your going." He grabbed her wrist and pulled her closer to him. The other two guards were still out of ear shot but they were coming this way. He looked her in the eyes."I'm really sorry for what I'm going to do." He said in a whisper. The second of grief on his face was replaced by a cold look. He spoke loud again as the other two guards walked up."You'd be lucky if I don't throw you in chains for being ignorant."

One of the guards came up and pulled down the woman's hood."Hey look what we have here. A real cute one." He smiled to the other guard."Maybe we can take her back with us so she can... make up for her wrong doings." The other guard nodded with a sick smile on his face. This happened all the time and Damon knew how things ended up. It was his fault that the woman was in the position. He had run into her and now she was in trouble. So he tried getting her out of it.

He stepped between the first guard and the girl."Now wait a second Ricky. You ain't taken this girl anywhere before me." He said with an angry look on his face.

Rick stepped up and got in Damon's face."Boy you better have a good reason for this."

Damon still looked defiant."You still owe me for covering your butt when you were to drunk to go on patrol, twice. I'm calling in those favors and I'm taking the girl first."

Rick looked ready to punch Damon in the face but finally he just spit on the ground."Fine then boy but you don't get anymore, and bring her oer to us when your done." The two guards left and Damon waited until they were out of view before turning back to the woman.

"Are you OK?" He asked concerned."Your not hurt are you?"

Madali couldn't react other than flinching at his words before he grabbed her pulling her close. She gave him a confused look as he apologized not knowing what was happening he had just insulted her and was apologizing for something that is to happen. She was about to open her mouth after he spoke once more threatening to throw her in chains. Only to be cut off by the other guards.

She let out a small scream as they pulled her hood of rather roughly, pulling some of her long hair in the process. She had tears in her eyes as they began talking about her like she was some piece of meat. She knew what they wanted her to do and it made her sick to her stomach. She prayed for aid but none came. She glared at the young man who stepped up and claimed he should go first and called in the favors.

Everything that had just happened made the bile rise in her throat she was angry, even furious. She should have stayed in Morrowind, at least there she would have been treated with respect. Looking up at the young man fire burning in her eyes. She knew Dunmer were shorter than nords, and it didn't help that she was considered short among the Dunmer.

She didn't want to speak she was afraid of would happen if she did but her anger burned too strong to be ignored. “I am okay now! Until they come for me…just like you promised them” She held the basket tightly and kicked him in the shin, probably not her best decision but she did not regret it. She ran, she ran as fast as she could to the docks.

Breathing heavily she arrived by the Argonians and traded the liquor for some fresh fish. Thanking them she bowed before turning to walk back, she glanced upon the ship said to sail to Ravenrock and frowned. Someday she will be able to afford the fare and return to the Ash. She stood at the docks her hair flowing in the wind as she gazed onto the horizon. Shaking her head she went back into the city.

“Azura give me strength to carry on…I have no idea how much longer I can endure this.” Mumbled as she walked only to stop in front of a pair of feet which belonged to a guard. Looking up she noticed it was the young man she had kicked. “If you want me so badly at least let me deliver the fish first…so it does not go bad” there was bitterness dripping from her words.

Damon felt horrible when she had kicked him and ran off. He knew he deserved it. Even if he was just trying to fit in with the guards what he did still made him a bad person. He needed to apologize to her. He wasn't sure why he needed this, maybe he just wanted one person to see he wasn't horrible. He wasn't sure what he was going to say to the guards when he showed up without her. He would deal with that later. For now he needed to find the girl and try to talk to her again. Even if it didn't go well, which was what he thought would happen anyway. So he went off in the direction she had run to.

He ignored the looks he got when he got on the main street. The docks were this way and with the bottles she had maybe she was going to trade them. It was his best option at the time so he went with it. The docks were pretty busy with all the trade. There weren't a lot of guards out here which was good since he didn't want them to see him. He went through the people looking for her. He was given a large birth since no one wanted to be close to him.

Finally he found her again as she started to walk back. He stopped in front of her to get her attention. She was bitter when she spoke and Damon wondered again why he had bothered to come here in the first place. He realized people were watching him and he just hoped that word of this didn't get back to the other guards.

"I'm not going to take you anywhere." He said in a low calm voice."I don't want to take you anywhere. I...." He paused trying to find the right words."I wanted to make sure you were really OK and to apologize again. Also don't worry about the guards. I'll come up with some excuse." He didn't wait for a response, it would probably just be more hate. So he turned and left before more people stopped to watch. He hoped this didn't come back to bite him in the rear end later.

Madali had stood and listened to him. She didn't know what to think, but the right thing was simple and clear. She waited for him to finish shifting her wait from foot to foot. Looking up as he turned she let out a sigh, she started walking quick enough to catch up with him.

“Thank you…” She turned to him as she walked next to him before walking ahead and back into the city. She needed to get home before the other guards searched for her. This time she was being more cautious as she waked through the grey quarters. She managed to avoid the patrol and walked back into the house.

Hanging her robes and hood she smiled at the old Dunmer who ran the place. “This should be enough…some of these we can dry in salt… or I can make soup we should have some potatoes left.” The old male smiled and helped her in the kitchen making them dinner. She had learned a few things while living here with him. And could now use them without his supervision.

She heard a commotion coming from the other room and a recognized the voices to be the other guards from today. She cursed and silently hid some of the food she had made. She then moved to the pantry to hide. She could hear them roughing up the place probably breaking the boards she had fixed.

She noticed one walking into the kitchen and getting close to the food she had hid. Against her better judgment she stepped into the light and made the guard turn to look at her. She then rushed into the main room only to run into a guard who she remembered as Ricky. Who was now grabbing her wrists roughly.

“Please spare her, she is but a child not even half a century. I ask you to not take her innocence away...” The other Dunmer tried to plead for her but was only beat down by the other guards. “No Neldam! Leave him be! I swear Oblivion shall take you all and appease my lords!!” She was furious and another guard came to restrain her.

Damon had finished his patrol and was back in the barracks. He felt better about himself and was Surprised when she had told him thank you. He hadn't expected that at all and it came as a pleasant surprise. He had walked back with a small grin on his face. He had the next day off and he could spend it away from the other guards. Maybe he would go outside the city for the day. At least that was his hope until word came around that some guards had grabbed a pretty dark elf, and Ricky was there.

Damon was already out of his armor and in regular clothes but he grabbed his sword and made his way to the Grey quarter as fast as he could. He didn't know where they were but he searched anyway. Then he saw Ricky dragging her out of a building and into the streets.

He went up and stopped in front. There were four guards with the girl and Damon had no clue what he was doing. Was he going to risk his job and his stable life for this girl? Why was he doing this? He didn't even know her name.

"Damon what the hell happened? I told you to bring her back when you were done. You let her go and now I'm pissed." Ricky looked angry and tried to walk past but Damon grabbed his arm.

"I didn't bring her cause she is mine. I know half the guards here have someone they don't share. So this one is mine."

Ricky wasn't the agreeing type."You ain't been here long enough to have that yet. Get some years under your belt." He started to walk away with a grin.

Damon was desperate so he tried something he didn't want to do at all. "Then I'll fight you for her right now!" He drew his sword.

Ricky sighed. "If it will shut you up then fine."

(I'm on my phone so sorry for the quality. Also I picture the towns and world being bigger. Like an actual town would be.)

Madali screamed and kicked as the soldiers dragged her out in the street. She noticed th other inhabitants of the grey quarters watching and looking at her with pity. As well as some other Dunmers bowing their heads and folding their hands in prayer for her.

She cursed the guards every single one of them by the end of the day she would have sworn on every single Daedric prince to take her soul if they would take theirs as well. “I swear…May the Vid swallow you!!” she was trying to fight them of but she wasn’t strong not physically.

She stop thrashing around when she saw the young guard again. Damon….that was his name, what was he doing. He was risking his livelihood for her but why, wasn’t she just another grey skin to him.

She felt a strong pain shoot through her body when she thought of herself as that term someone didn’t like it. She looked around and noticed a female Dunmer she hadn’t seen before standing there calmly.

Madali heard them talking about her and she became angry. “I am no one’s! I rather my soul belong to Molag bal than any of you Nords!”

Some of the Dunmer gaped at her, for wishing such a thing. Willingly wishing to belong to the lord of domination and king of rape, while others looked at her with a smile for having such pride and confidence.

Tears of fury burned in her eyes…burned...burning...fire. She focused and tried to call forth her ancestors flames but she could not something was preventing it. She saw the Female Dunmer again who shook her head before vanishing. “Azura…why…”

(its quiet alright, and i agree on the towns and such being larger)

He wondered what he had gotten himself into. Ricky was no master sqordsman but he was far greater then Damon. He knew a fight like this between guards stopped at first blood but if he lost he knew exactly what would happen to the girl. She would be passed around until the men were bored of her, by then she would be broken in body and spirit like all the others.

The street cleared for the two guards as swords were drawn. There was a moment of silence before the two came together in a clash of metal. Damon knew he couldn't beat Ricky in strength but he could out think him. He was dumb as a bag of rocks. The only problem was that he was strong as an ox. He pushed Damon back and back and back. Soon Damon was backed against a house.

Damon ducked and rolled away from the next blow. He struck his opponent in the back but was kicked in the stomache. He swung his sword and took a few steps back but he was charged again. His arms were starting to feel like jelly and he needed to change something. That was when he saw his chance.

Ricky slipped on the loose gravel and Damon went on the attack. He wasn't strong but he was fast. Then luck was on his side again when he sliced Ricky's arm. He had won by sheer luck.

Ricky stood up holding the cut on his arm. He looked beyond pissed. "Fine then take the girl. I won't forget this." He stormed down the street with the other guards following him. Damon sheathed his sword and slid to the ground with his back against a building. He couldn't feel his arms and he was way out of breath.

Everyone on the street was watching him now. What did they expect him to do? "Go home, nothing else is happening here." He said still sitting against the building. He got to his feet. He wandered what Ricky would do to him when he got back. Why had he done any of this. He looked up to see the dark elf woman watching him. "Go home, I'm not claiming you."

Madali almost cheered as the young guard...no Damon won. She freed herself from the other men and rubbed her arms and smiled as they ran off. She watch Damon as he slid down the wall. She was relieved to see that he did not want to take claim of her. She walked over to him.

“Please allow me to show you kindness and repay you...” she held her hands out to him, there were questions she wanted to ask. And it would be done best in privacy.

“You have risked so much for me and you do not even know my name, so the least I can do is treat you…please allow me this. And shall bother you no more. “She smiled at him hand still held out.

“I have questions for you…questions I rather ask in private. If I may.” The people in the streets started moving and going about their regular business and chores. “The name is Madali...Madali Vendu...just in case you were wondering.” Standing before him she smiled softly as the wind blew through her long hair.

Damon's body was still hurting and he didn't feel like going back to the barracks for a while so he gladly accepted Madali's offer. "I'll take you up on your offer. I'm not sure how many questions I can answer for you though." In reality he wasn't sure how many answers he had for himself. He was still wondering why he had stuck his neck out like this for this woman.

He took her hands and stood up. They were soft in his and she was pretty but was that why he had done this? "Knowing those guys I'm not sure if they will stay away for long. I'd keep low if I was you or by the nine they will grab you again." He let go of her hands and moved his arms around to try and get feeling in them again.

He was glad most of the people in the streets were gone. He didn't like to be the center of attention. "I'm sorry for all the trouble you've gone through today. I mean it." He still felt like this was all his fault to begin with. He at least made it up to her, or he hoped he did. "So where is it you want to go to?"

Madali smiled at him glad that he accepted her offer. "I want to see them try...and in the name of the 16 they will pay for it.." she brushed her hair behind her ear and began to walk. "my home...i have to check on Neldam..he stuck up for me...the least i can do is heal him." She walked back to the building from which she had been dragged out of in silence on ocassion she would glance at the Nord but that is all. Once she reached the building she opened the door. "Neldam?" she walked over to the dunmer and began healing him.

She turned to Damon, "could you help him into a chair...he needs to eat to regain his strength. She rushed to the kitchen and grabbed the fish soup she had prepared, heating it back up. Once it was hot again she brought it out to the older dunmer and smiled as she served it with a piece of bread. "Thank you my child, Azura please you and your kindness..." he gave a weak smile as he began to eat.

Madali smiled at her elder and bowed. "I only do as it should be done, You are my elder and deserve my respect and gratitude.." she gave a smile before she grabbed Damon by the hand, before speaking in the dunmer tongue. She pulled him up stairs to her room and lit a small candle and took a seat on the bed, and gave the spot next to her a pat for him to sit.

"I wish to thank you...you risked everything today for me...more than once...three times if i have counted correctly. and i may have said thing in my fit of anger...i wish to apologize.I know your people worship the divines..and i don't i am dedicated to the Daedra...bu i'm sure that it was obvious..i know i might have offended you so i will apologize for that as well" She looked at him in the dim light with a light smile on her lips.

Looking him over in the dim light she had to admit that he was rather handsome, and she could not deny this. "but i was wondering..why, why you have done all this for me?"

Damon followed Madali into the house. He was glad to be off the street. Inside the house was an older dark elf. He seemed a little ruffed up, no doubt thanks to the other guards that had come in here. He felt hate for them but also for himself. How many times had he been a part of a group going into people homes? He was no better then they were. He helped the old man to his chair and waited for Madali to bring the soup in. When that was done he followed her up to what had to be her room. He sat on the bed next to her as she spoke to him.

"You don't have to thank me. They way I look at it is that it was my fault for running into this morning and starting all this. I was unfocused and I wasn't doing my job." The whole point of being on patrol was watching your surroundings but he had been oblivious to the world at the time. "I'll be honest, I don't like the Daedra for my own reasons. You don't seem like a bad person so I won't judge you on it." He didn't want to get on the subject of the Daedra. He hated them but he wanted to be respectful so he said nothing more.

"I've been asking myself why all day since I ran into you. I can't give you an answer because I don't have one for myself. But here I am and I can't take it back. I've never held any hate for the other races of Skyrim. It's just that the city guard gave me a home and food when I had none. I needed to fit in and I was afraid of being kicked out if I didn't act like them." He sighed and looked down. "I know I'm no better then the rest of them for the things I've done."

He wanted to find someplace else but he didn't have enough money to start over in another town. He didn't know anyone that could help him out. The guard here payed small wages and it would take him a while before he felt like he could leave. He thought of going to Whiterun since it was the center of Skyrim and a huge trading city. He could find a job there, maybe even travel around working for a merchant.

"I will respect those reasons...I appreciate you not casting judgement upon me for my believes." Madali gave him and understanding smile. She sat silently besides him as she listened to him thinking of what was being said. She had no idea what to say or do other then sitting next to him in silence.

"What about other towns...i'm sure they could use guards as well..." She brushed her hair that fell behind from behind her ear back in its place. She moved to her nightstand pulled out a coin purse that looked empty. Looking inside she frowned she had ten gold. closing it she threw it back in the nightstand.

"I have been trying to get out of this city and get a real job..so i can earn some coin... and pay the fare to Ravenrock...i have family friend there...running an inn... said i should join him work for him. Reason i moved her it was closer and easier. Morrowind doesn't allow passage that way for...casual passengers, but since the ebony mine bled dry even he is having a hard time..So i am stuck here." She turned to him unsuire on why she had told him that.

"what about you have you always lived in Windhelm..or are you from another part of Skyrim..?" she picked at her sleeves of her tunic frowning as it started falling apart.

"I want to move to Whiterun if I can. I don't want to be a guard though. I don't like it. I want to work on a merchant caravan and travel around. Maybe even take a trip out of Skyrim. It's going to take me a while to save up though." He frowned. "So I'll be stuck as a guard for a while. Maybe next year I can earn enough to get out." He wasn't very skillful though. He didn't have a lot of options ahead of him. That's why he trained all the time with his sword. It was the only thing he knew.

"I lived with my family in the woods south of Windhelm. My Father hunted and sold the extra meat and furs." His voice grew a little bitter. "But thing's happened and they are dead so I live here now." It was a subject he didn't want to get into. He wanted to change the subject so he decided to focus on Madali.

"Why come to Skyrim though? Not just Skyrim but to the one town where your people are hated the most?" He wasn't sure why any non nords moved here. Nords made up most of the population of Skyrim and they weren't afraid to let everyone know who founded and owned the country. He was a proud nord but not to the point of hating the other races. He didn't see things changing anytime soon though. Hopefully Whiterun was better then this place.

"I see.....i'm sorry to hear about your family....i understand." Madali sat quietly for a while and looked at him. "I told you because it would have been easy to get to Ravenrock..." She stay quietly not mentioning she had visited the shrine of Boethiah nearby. Or the fact that she had planned on traveling to the shrine of Azura in winterhold.

"I have a reason i came to skyrim..but i know you do not care for it..." She turned to him and smiled. "Whiterun seems like a good choice...its centrally located. Making travel easy" She had considered going there she did not have enough coin for the carriage. DShe had things and gems to sell but she would not sell them here, they would cheat her out of money.

"do you think you have enough money for the carriage to whiterun?" Madali looked at him curiously. "I have gems i could sell..once there to get some money....i do not wish to sell them here i would not get the money that they are worth or have the guards take it were they to find it." She had to leave this city as soon as she could, she don't want live for Neldam to be miserable because of her and she knew those guards would be back for her.

"I could sell the money and share it with you so you can get a room at the inn as you look for a job...i need to leave Windhelm. I will bring nothing but trouble to Neldam...and after all he has done for me i do not wish that.." She looked at him her crimson eyes shining in the dim light of the room.

"I can't except your offer. We don't even know each other and I can't except someone else money." He was surprised that she had offered to go with him. He could see she wanted to leave Windhelm and the guards would be looking for her now. He couldn't take her money though. His family had never been one to accept charity and he didn't want to start now. Also he didn't know her that well. They got along now but Whiterun was a five day trip. What if something happened and she didn't want to help him? Then he would be without a job and stranded in the wilderness with winter coming.

"Jobs will be harder and harder to come by with the merchants as winter gets closer. I was hoping to join as a caravan guard. I'm not great with a sword but I'm getting better. I'm just worried that I won't find a job and I'll be a burden to you." His last option was always becoming an adventurer. A lot of people tried it, most because they were poor and had no other job. There was the occasional person who struck lucky and found hidden treasures or made a name for themselves and joined a guild or got a good position in a town guard, but most died or were never heard from again.

"I just worry to much. I think the worst will happen so I can plan for it." He looked up to her. Madali's red eyes held him for a time. She seemed honest and he knew if she didn't leave then bad things would happen. "Give me time to prepare, two days, and I'll go with you." He needed to leave to. His life had no meaning here and at least this was him trying to change that. If it all failed at least he tried.

"Please view it as payment for saving me from a horrible faith upon the hands of those men..." Madali frowned not deeming them worth being called men. She turned to him and smiled brightly excited when he had accepted the offer. "Great two days it is...and then we both can leave this cold city behind us..." She looked at him with a smile.

She placed a hand on his knee and smiled as comforting as she could. "Thank you for taking this chance with me, i know some magic and spells...but i have sworn to only use it when in need too...i had problems in the past of losing control..reasons i did not use it against the guards.." She looked down into her lap.

"I know you do not care for the Daedra, but they are what guide me and prevent me from losing control...I guess I wish to ask you to be patient with me on our journey and respect my wishes to give a prayer when I need too.." Madali knew he wasn't fond of them but she had to ask him for this favor. She respected his believes and expect him to do the same.

Realizing her hand was still on him she pulled it away and looked out the small window. "It's getting late...you should be going....two days it is...I will let Neldam know...once again...thank you, Damon." She placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled before getting up and walking to the door.

Opening the door she turned to him, with a unclear expression. "I do hope you do not go back on your word....and leave without me....I will find you if you do" There was a hint of warning in her voice as she smiled sweetly

"I don't care if you pray. I'm just glad to be getting out of here." In truth it did unnerve him that she would be praying to the Daedra but she was helping him and he wasn't going to say anything. "Hopefully you won't need to use your magic on the trip." Damon hoped the trip to Whiterun would be uneventful but he knew the roads could be dangerous the farther away you were from one of the big towns. Maybe the coming winter would slow any bandit activities.

He followed Madali out of the house and stopped when she spoke to him again. "I promise I won't go back on my word. I'll meet you here in two days." With that he walked down the street illuminated by torch light. He had two days to get out of here. He didn't have a lot of things to take with him. A couple changes of clothes and what food he could grab from the kitchen. He would have to leave his armor but he would take the sword, there was no way he would go out in the world without a weapon at his side.

When he got back to the barracks he made sure to avoid Ricky. He knew word had got around about the fight so the other guards just thought Damon was coming back from fooling around with Maladi. He wanted to keep it that way. He didn't want to tell anyone he was leaving. If he did they would start asking questions and Damon didn't want to give them answers.

He had no plans if Whiterun failed besides becoming an adventurer. He knew for most that life was short lived and he wasn't sure it was for him. He needed to be far better with a sword and it was better to travel in a group. He didn't think Maladi would want to go. He just hoped he was able to work for a merchant and none of this would matter.

Madali watched the young Nord man leave before closing and locking the door. She turned back to her elder and looked after him. She told him about her plan and he gave her a smile of encouragement. He helped Madali pack most of her things that night and gave her a few advises. She knew the wilderness of Skyrim was nothing compared to the wilderness of morrowind but she could make it, she was powerful enough to fight and defend herself if she wanted too.

The next day came and it seemed as if it was passing slower than any day before. Madali was walking through the grey quarter taking care of her chores. Most of the guards had ignored her, probably because word of the fight had spread rather quickly. She was at one of the stands making a delivery to either earn some food or coin which ever she could be given.

She kept her eyes open for one Guard in particular as the sun set and the moon rose above them as she headed back home. She was ten minutes away from home. She tried to stay among the people but they allwere also leaving. She hadn't seen Damon all day and this saddened her for some reason. with a sigh she continued to walk and almost ran into someone. She tried to turn and rush away but was grabbed by the man known as Ricky.

"Unhand me...i am not yours to fool with.." She almost gagged at the smell of alcohol on his breath as he forced her against the wall. She prayed to Azura for Damon to magically appear and safe her, but that was unlikely to happen. "I am Damons...you cannot touch me..." She tried to yank her hand free but with little success.

Most of the next day for Damon was spent finishing his plans for when he left Windhelm. It took him even longer to finish since he didn't want any of the other guards to realize what he was doing. He wouldn't be able to do what needed to be done if they knew he planned on leaving the town with a dark elf. He knew things could still get a little bumpy but he hoped things would work out for the best. He needed a knew start and Madali needed to be anywhere that wasn't Windhelm.

When he was done he had the urge to go see Madali again. Since he was free for the rest of the day he had no obligations. So he made his way towards the grey quarter in normal clothes with his sword at his side. It was not abnormal for people to carry a weapon on them since most people had at least a dagger on them.

Damon first went to where Madali lived and the old man directed him towards the market stands. He made his way through the busy market streets looking for her. He had an urge to see her but he had no clue what he would say to her. Maybe just a quick hello and plan out what they would do the next day. He started to cut in and out of alleys when he didn't find her at first. He wondered if she had already made it back to her home. So he started back that way and that was when he found her.

She was pinned against a wall by non other then Ricky. He knew exactly what he was trying and it angered Damon more then he knew. So without second guessing himself he drew his sword and charged in. He stabbed Ricky in his side and slammed the man away from Madali. He stood over the body but it was not moving. He had just killed a man for the first time. He ignored the feeling of dread for the time and turned back to her. "Are you OK?" He asked walking up to her and puting a hand on her arm. "Did he hurt you?"

Madali had winced as the man had grabbed her throat squeezing it every so often. "Stop..." she tried to fight the man but was to afraid to do anything. her eyes burnt with tears as he squeezed her throat and used a dagger to cut the fastenings of her tunic. "please....someone..." with a flash something had freed her from the mans grip.

She looked up to see Damon who had just killed the man who had tried to rape her once more. She took a moment to register his question as she looked at him. With out a thought she wrapped her arms around Damon and cried. "thank you...thank you....i was so scared...i didn;t know...if anybody could save me.." she had arms around him tightly all her fear crashing down upon her as she cried in his arms.

She couldn't explain it, Damon made her feel safe he had stood up to her twice and now killed a man that tried to rape her in the streets. Her tears kept coming as she clung to him. It is than that she realized what happened. "You killed him...he is dead...they will know it was you.... what should we do..i am so sorry for dragging you into this." She kept on rambling unsure of what else to do.

"we cannot leave his body here....wait....here....uuh she pulled out some paper and black ink. she covered her hand in it and pressed against the paper. and placed the parchment on his body. "know they will think that assassins did it..." The black hand was a symbol she knew all to well, the dark brotherhood. she had read about them. She knew that this will give them credit so they wouldn't complain."There...lets get out of here before somebody see's us..here.." she grabbed Damon's hand and returned to her home with him.

When Madali was crying in his arms he felt a strong desire to protect her. He didn't want her to cry. So he put his arms around her and held her. He knew she was safe now but he still felt anger for letting this happen. He shouldn't have left her. He knew they would come for her again. As long as she was still in this town then she was still in danger. They needed to leave today. He was afraid of what would happen if they waited one more day. The road seemed safer then Windhelm now.

He waited for her to finish with the paper. "They might not think I did it now but playing around with the black hand can be dangerous. We must hope it doesn't come back to us." He took a last look at Ricky before following Madali. He had never killed a man before and it made him feel uneasy. He didn't regret it since he saved her but it still bothered him. He tried to block it from his mind and focused on the hand holding his. They were still not out of trouble.

Once they arrived at her home Damon brought up his idea. "We need to leave today. It's only midday so we can catch a cart to Whiterun and still put some distance between us and here before the sun goes down." He turned to her and looked her over to make sure she was alright. "I don't want us in this place for one more night. I'll go and get my things and meet you here. I can't stand this place any longer. This whole town can be forsaken by Talos for all I care."

He took her hands in his and spoke softly. "I don't want to see you get hurt again. The people in Whiterun are much more accepting of all races there. It is by fate that the gods have brought us together. We will help each other escape to a new life." He smiled. "Get your things and wait for me here. I will be back soon, and we can leave this hell." He let go of her hands and walked out of the house to retrieve what few things he had to take with him.

Madali smiled at his concern about the black hand. "Do't worry about them, they do not function as they used to....trust me..." She smiled and nodded as she listened to his plan and agreed. She watched him leave and gave a sad sigh. She packed her things and pulled on her thick coat. She looked around her home before walking into the kitchen. She had baked some bread and grabbed two loafs for them to eat while on the road.

She took out some paper and sat down writing a note in Dunmer for Nedlam, thanking him for everything he had done for her. She sealed the letter and placed it on his nightstand as she looked over him as he slept. Going back to her room she looked at it making sure she had everything. Grabbing some empty journals and extra quills and ink she moved out of the room room and walked downstairs and sat in a chair waiting for Damon to return. Opening her book of the Daedra she began to read to make the time pass faster.

Looking up at the door her thoughts processed everything that has happened. She was running away with a young nord she hardly knew. He hardly knew her and he has saved her life on more than one occasion. She didn't know why she was doing this, but she felt the urge to follow through like it was the right thing to do.

Damon had to be careful grabbing his things. Since it was midday a lot of the guards were out on patrol but there were still some in the barracks. He had a bag already prepared with his extra clothes and few belongings. He took the backdoor out and made his way into the kitchen of the castle. He knew one of the cooks and was able to grab another bag of dried meats, cheeses, and bread. It wasn't much but it would last them the three or four day trip to Whiterun.

With the two bags he made his way back to where Madali was. He made sure to take side streets and avoid any guards. It would put him in an awkward spot if they saw him leaving now. When he arrived back at the house he opened the door and closed it behind him so no one would see him. He saw Madali sitting and waiting for him.

The site of her brought a smile to his face. "I'm ready to go if you are. I want to leave this place far behind me." Damon hoped he never had to set foot in this place again. He had his way out and he was going to take it. "If the weather holds like this we can make it to Whiterun in three days." It was still a few weeks away from heavy snow fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back