Story Of Man and Coconut | Dialogue Practice

StorybookParagon

Mattering Not
EXT. MAKESHIFT SHELTER - CLOUDY DAY

MAN sits across from COCONUT. He is malnourished and thirsty.

MAN cannot keep eye contact with COCONUT. He does not know what to say to COCONUT, failing to start sentences.

His stomach growls and MAN lets out a sigh as he gazes sorrowfully at COCONUT.

MAN
(softly)
You've been a very good friend to me.

COCONUT is on its back; its eyes upwards and away.

MAN (CONT'D)
Only thing that's kept me sane on this island, but...

COCONUT continues staring blankly. The wind rocks the COCONUT, making it stare directly at MAN.

MAN (CONT'D)
Don't give me that surprised look. I don't want to have to eat you, but... I can't find any food. My throat is on fire and...

COCONUT
(defiantly)
You won't.

MAN
I'll... have to.

COCONUT
See this shell? You're in no shape to crack it open.

MAN
I'll have to.

COCONUT
Then what?

MAN
What do you mean?

COCONUT
Then what's going to happen? You eat me, you drink me, then you'll be left hungry, thirsty, and alone. That's even worse than where you're at now.

MAN
I-don't-know. I don't know. But, I can't keep going without something. I can feel it. I've been dying out here ever since that storm... All that food... water...

Storm clouds darken the island, casting it in shadow. The campfire is the only object that lights up the surroundings.

MAN makes a grim face. He doesn't know what to do as he stares into the fire.

COCONUT
Fine. Do it.

MAN
Aren't you--?

COCONUT
I'm not afraid. Pick me up. Look me in the eyes.

MAN crawls over and picks up COCONUT in his hands, having COCONUT face and stare at him.

COCONUT (CONT'D)
That pity is going to be wasted. I wouldn't be able to stand looking at you moping around. At least I can face death with dignity.

MAN
You won't be angry?

COCONUT
No. I'll be dead.

MAN takes in a breath. He looks over to a nearby, sturdy looking rock. He crawls over to that rock and holds COCONUT above it. MAN hesitates, hands shaking.

COCONUT
Don't be the coward. I'll not have a person uncertain of what they're doing kill me. It's the least you can do.

MAN
I don't want to have to kill you.

COCONUT
It's okay. We'll still be friends.

MAN grips COCONUT tightly. He raises COCONUT high above his head and lets out a scream. Nobody except the plants can hear him scream.

A dull, loud thud echoes around the island.

MAN
I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

COCONUT only has a single crack in it. MAN raises it above his head. Another dull thud echoes around the island. This time there's a thunderous crack that follows it.

MAN (CONT'D)
Forgive me. Please, forgive me.

THE END

I like this story. It’s very dark, and for me it provokes the question of whether the man was actually sane. Was he, and was the coconut really alive and speaking to him, or was he just under an illusion of sanity and actually insane?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back