• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion Notification Suggestion?

Lord of the Frogs! RIBBIT!
I had a suggestion, I know that much. It seemed like a good idea to me at the time too. But I forgot what it was, so, I figured I'll ramble until it comes back to me. I wish it was a suggestion about adding frog themes to the color theme, but it wasn't that. Still a good suggestion. Also, I dunno if staff members see this stuff.

Actually, the last sentence I typed reminded me of what I had in my head. So, notifications. The email ones are already good. I can have multiple ones, I can click on the mail icon to see, and click one to read/respond/eat the mail, or in this case, the conversation, and the other notifications just stay there. In fact, if I want to ignore the RPN owner or something, the notification is there later. But, when I do the same with non-PM stuff, alerts, if I click to check my notifications, all 9 of them, whether or not I check something, they all go away. So I have to open all of the notifications in new tabs, just to avoid possibly forgetting about them.

Unless that's a bug, like with the online members. It may not be a big deal for others, may just be me, but, I have a terrible memory, and I'm easily distracted, so I sometimes don't reply to people by accident, so I have to take big measures filling out my tabs in order to not forget.

Oh yeah, I'm also super lazy, so, I only glanced over the first page for another thread like this. If anyone knows of one like this, suggesting something about the notifications for alerts, it'd be great if you pointed me to it. The more threads showing with the same thing seems good to me, right? Unless I'm wrong, then don't do it. But you can always send me cute pics of frogs. P.S. All frog pics are cute. <3

If you click on your username in the top bar, like you were about to go to your profile, and click 'Alerts' it will bring you to a page containing all your read and unread pings. That way you can come back to them later. (:

If you click on your username in the top bar, like you were about to go to your profile, and click 'Alerts' it will bring you to a page containing all your read and unread pings. That way you can come back to them later. (:

That's all good and dandy, but if my suggestion works already on conversations, is it really such a big deal to ask to make it work with alerts? Also, you can also get there by click on alerts and then clicking show all. The problem is still there that I have to open all of them in new tabs to avoid forgetting them later. I'm just making a suggestion for a little bit of ease. I know there are ways to get back to the threads, and I understand most people may not have an issue with it, like you, but it's still something I'd like to see. :)

That's all good and dandy, but if my suggestion works already on conversations, is it really such a big deal to ask to make it work with alerts? Also, you can also get there by click on alerts and then clicking show all. The problem is still there that I have to open all of them in new tabs to avoid forgetting them later. I'm just making a suggestion for a little bit of ease. I know there are ways to get back to the threads, and I understand most people may not have an issue with it, like you, but it's still something I'd like to see. :)
The thing is, there are many ways for you to review or mark unread alerts to keep them "active." You can always mark your alerts as "unread."
0101.png

You can always go directly into your alert feed; https://www.rpnation.com/account/alerts which hosts all your alerts, and still allow you to mark them as 'unread.'

We mostly look to addons to add featured content, but the problem is adding too many addons can cause issues themselves. Not to mention we need the funds to go to addons we want to return that we previously had before, such as badges for our supporters. Those have top priority over a feature that only a singular member may have interest in using. We're still trying to resolve the many notification issues some are seeming to experience, as such adding in a new alert feature would only have the probability of increasing issues.

You can always just go back and review all your alerts, rather than tabs as it's pretty much the same thing, just one window with all your alerts vs tons of open tabs. I mean, I'm a tab-holic myself. You can ask StoneWolf18 StoneWolf18 >_>;; Honestly, it'd personally drive me nuts to have my alerts constantly "on" and then having to mark them as 'read' rather than 'unread' for the ones I find important to review later.

The thing is, there are many ways for you to review or mark unread alerts to keep them "active." You can always mark your alerts as "unread."
View attachment 431043

You can always go directly into your alert feed; https://www.rpnation.com/account/alerts which hosts all your alerts, and still allow you to mark them as 'unread.'

We mostly look to addons to add featured content, but the problem is adding too many addons can cause issues themselves. Not to mention we need the funds to go to addons we want to return that we previously had before, such as badges for our supporters. Those have top priority over a feature that only a singular member may have interest in using. We're still trying to resolve the many notification issues some are seeming to experience, as such adding in a new alert feature would only have the probability of increasing issues.

You can always just go back and review all your alerts, rather than tabs as it's pretty much the same thing, just one window with all your alerts vs tons of open tabs. I mean, I'm a tab-holic myself. You can ask StoneWolf18 StoneWolf18 >_>;; Honestly, it'd personally drive me nuts to have my alerts constantly "on" and then having to mark them as 'read' rather than 'unread' for the ones I find important to review later.

The thing about keeping a single window open with all my alerts in it, rather than just opening all the tabs is I'll have to reopen threads to see if I've already read it or not. I also understand there are workarounds. I mean, I used to play my Gameboy when I was younger. A lot. It had no light, so it was unplayable at night without an external light. And playing and driving could be frustrating when you go through tunnels and such. There were workarounds for that as well, like using one of those book lights. I still prefer in-built lights, ya know?

I used to be a mechanic in the Air Force. I know how to jury-rig pretty much anything. I've already found a workaround that I'm fine enough with. I prefer my tabs over everything else. Control + Click each notification and get to it in time. I suggested this as an improvement, rather than an innovation, as I understand it's already working. I also assumed it wouldn't be difficult, since it's already in place for the conversations. It just seems a little silly that it works for one, but not the other. I also assume it's already been discussed, or it's just one of those things people got used to and don't bring it up, or just don't question it, ya know?

I'm totally fine being told it can't be done for X reason(s). I'm just giving a suggestion. I understand I have much less knowledge on the inner workings of things. I have no coding experience, so I have no idea what's capable code-wise, I can only assume that it can be done, since it already works elsewhere, and both of them are notifications.

I have a 32" monitor. I have, most of the time, three-four windows open. Each can have enough tabs that I can't read the titles of the tabs. I definitely know what that's like XD I'm also a huge bookmark fan. I recently got a new computer, so it's not as insane as my last computer, but I'll get there :P Also, thank you for reading, any considerations, and generally being awesome. (Even though I know you only skimmed through, mentioned some keywords, and likely tossed it in the trash. (I'm just teasing, please don't hate me! D:))

Keep in mind these are just suggestions for an immediate fix. We’ll consider it as something to implement in the future! ^_^

The thing about keeping a single window open with all my alerts in it, rather than just opening all the tabs is I'll have to reopen threads to see if I've already read it or not. I also understand there are workarounds. I mean, I used to play my Gameboy when I was younger. A lot. It had no light, so it was unplayable at night without an external light. And playing and driving could be frustrating when you go through tunnels and such. There were workarounds for that as well, like using one of those book lights. I still prefer in-built lights, ya know?

I used to be a mechanic in the Air Force. I know how to jury-rig pretty much anything. I've already found a workaround that I'm fine enough with. I prefer my tabs over everything else. Control + Click each notification and get to it in time. I suggested this as an improvement, rather than an innovation, as I understand it's already working. I also assumed it wouldn't be difficult, since it's already in place for the conversations. It just seems a little silly that it works for one, but not the other. I also assume it's already been discussed, or it's just one of those things people got used to and don't bring it up, or just don't question it, ya know?

I'm totally fine being told it can't be done for X reason(s). I'm just giving a suggestion. I understand I have much less knowledge on the inner workings of things. I have no coding experience, so I have no idea what's capable code-wise, I can only assume that it can be done, since it already works elsewhere, and both of them are notifications.
I mean, anything could be coded technically, but that's what addons are. They are coded modifications to the core software program done by various developers. Sadly, it was actually many problematic addons that resulted in the site migrating over to a different software for 6 months because they caused havoc and couldn't be removed without complications. It's why you'll see some ancient posts with some crazy coding and formatting problems.

So yes, technically your suggestion could be possible, but there is no demand for such an addon, so it doesn't exist.

Most of the notifications suggestions to us are "fix the alerts please!" Hence why that has the higher priority over adding anything else as an addon for alerts. As stone said, it could be considered eventually, but that could be... a year or even a decade from now. :p

I mean, anything could be coded technically, but that's what addons are. They are coded modifications to the core software program done by various developers. Sadly, it was actually many problematic addons that resulted in the site migrating over to a different software for 6 months because they caused havoc and couldn't be removed without complications. It's why you'll see some ancient posts with some crazy coding and formatting problems.

So yes, technically your suggestion could be possible, but there is no demand for such an addon, so it doesn't exist.

Most of the notifications suggestions to us are "fix the alerts please!" Hence why that has the higher priority over adding anything else as an addon for alerts. As stone said, it could be considered eventually, but that could be... a year or even a decade from now. :p

You lost me at code :P And I understand all that, but figured I'd stick my suggestion here anyways. While I consider myself pretty good with computers, I'm not good with code and such, so, I suggest something, and I'll let someone who knows what they're doing tell me if it's possible or not :P

I’ve read the thread and this isn’t so much a bug as it is how the software works.

I’ll submit an official suggestion to the xenforo devs about more alert preferences for users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back