New forum role player, looking for tips.

Generic Italian

Very Very Very Generic
<p>

Title explains its self, I am open for tips advice and general help for getting myself started with forum role play.

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the rabbit hole of roleplaying... Where to begin?

My main advice would be try everything. Start with the things your interested in, then maybe go into genres or formats you might not have considered. You might not learn sci-fi roleplays are your favorite until you get your hands dirty first. It's okay to dabble, as long as you let the people your with down gently if you decide it's not right for you. It's most important that you enjoy what your doing so you can crank out those posts with enthusiasm. Also, make sure others are enjoying the RP with you. Be courteous, considerate, etc. etc. and you'll do fine.

If you're concerned about your style or how RP flow works around here, dig up some examples around the forums and skim their posts. See how they write, format, and interact with other characters. However, everyone is going to be different, but don't sweat your style, because finding it is half the fun.

Good luck!

@Generic Italian

My recommendation to you would be to start with casual and simple ones as well until you get a feel for things and feel ready to move into detailed (I find it's a whole different ballgame and one that you shouldn't just jump into). As well, only join at most 2-3 roleplays. It might seem fun to join twenty that you find really cool, but that can become overwhelming really easily and can make your experience here worse. Get a feel for what you can and cannot handle, and then adjust accordingly. Maybe you can only handle one roleplay, maybe you can handle up to ten. Either way it's better to start small and slowly join more roleplays. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions to the creators of roleplays. I've only made a few in my time, and only one on this site, but I can say that it is always really lovely to hear. If you have a question about how things work, it's better to ask, always! Also, maybe don't make a roleplay of your own right off the bat. Again, it's better to get a feel for things first before delving right in, and making a roleplay and managing it is a hell of a lot of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back