My character - not a submission

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
I have a character I want to share. I was hoping you all could help me fill in any holes or inconsistencies. I dont have the CotI book but it is in the mail, so my Mentor has yet to be identified as one as I dont really know anything except what was said in the main book.

Born and raised in Gem, a typical child of the south. Black hair, brown sandy skin. Superstition and Astrology was ingrained in me as a young child. It was the way of the southerners to be that way. I had a good childhood. I had all the things I wanted. My father was a gem hunter, and a good one at that. That is how he made his living and I was proud to follow in his footsteps. I was a renowned gem hunter as I strived in every way to make my father proud. Such a drive makes for a lot of practice, a lot of practice makes you pretty good at what you do.

My father eventually passed away. He was a very hard worker and it had worn him down over time. I guess it had to happen eventually, but I still took it pretty hard. My mother took it especially hard also. So much so that she also died about a year later from compounding illnesses brought on by grief. She took the death of father in a different way than I did. She grieved herself to death. I worked even harder to make my father even more proud.

One day about 3 years later, while working the dunes I happened across a small Hearthstone. Ofcoarse at the time I didnt know what it was. I thought it was just another gem. It was very different than any I had found before though. Some of the others had seen me pull it up and were looking at it also. I guess word gets around. The local thugs of Rankar came knocking on my door requesting I have the stone appraised by an "inspector". There was a huge fuss over it, so I knew I had something special. Rankar VII, in is infinite respect for his people, then ordered his cronies to confiscate my favorite gem. Obviously I didnt give it to them. I lied, I told them that I had lost it on one of my trips around town. They put my home in shambles looking for the thing, but my little hiding place was too descrete. That, still, was too much to handle. The governing forces of Gem, for as long as I can remember, had pushed its people around as they pleased. I felt the need for a change, the only way I was going to get a change was by force. I formed a small militia to start a revolution in Gem. I thought we had a pretty good plan of action. I had thought incorrectly. My band of visionary fighters were quickly dispatched by one of the local strong arms of Rankar VII. All he need do was order one of his powerful units to squelch our whisper of a usurpation. Most of my comrades in arms were slain in the fray, the few that were captured, besides me, were publically executed as an example. I, being the brainchild of the "progressive movement", was given a special sentence. I was dragged naked, tied by the ankles, by horse to a far off, desolate region of the desert. I was strung out in the shape of an X and left for the vultures.

The sun beat hard on my naked body the following day as I grew very thirsty. Day two was even worse, as the sun had seared my flesh to the point that every grain of sand that blew against my body felt as if I were being stung by a thousand scorpions. On the third day I had had enough. I was exhausted and my body wouldnt work if I were to be freed. I had given up. During my last moments, as I look to the sun with my painfully dry eyes, the sun that would be my death, the burning sphere in the sky spoke to me. With profound words of encouragement and purpose, gave me the strength to brake free of my bonds. The symbol on my chest a reminder of whom I owe my life. As of he had been branded from my instillation of power. With my new found energy, I made the journey back to civilization. I had knowledge of how to survive alone in the forsaken areas that I had not previously had. I was able to find shelter, food and water, all I needed to survive on my journey home. I knew home wouldnt receive me well though. I had made a plan as to how I would go about getting into my house to reclaim that which I needed and what I actually needed to take with me.

About a week after being freed I was upon the city I USED to reside. The night came and I made my move. It seemed as though I was being guided when to move and where to move without being seen. My home had been ransacked. Obviously they were looking for the gem. I was happy to see that they didnt find my hidden stash with it and other gems. I would be able to survive with the money I could get from them for a decent amount of time. I put on some of my clothing that had been thrown to the floor in the raid of my home and turned to leave. My way out felt just as guided as my way in. In and out without a fuss, they way I had hoped. I then went to my little hiding place to pull myself together and figure out what to do next. I wanted so badly to change Gem, I still do, but not right now. It is not time for me to die. My mind pondered thoughts of revenge and what I would do when I would return to Gem. All the way back to my hideout my mind was racing. I remember it gave me the worst headache.

I got back to my hideout and made myself a little fire and cooked up a tiny meal. I still had to eat even at a time like this. I was so preoccupied with everything else, it took me atleast 10 full minutes to see that someone had been here. I stayed calm in case they were still around so to not let them on that I knew. I moved my eyes around to see if I could catch a glimpse of anyone. Once I had convinced myself to get up, I had a thorough look around. They had gone whomever it was, but had left an exquisite piece of armor and a scimitar. Both a brilliant golden color. A note attached read only this;

*Gifts to help you on your way.*

~A friend

How thoughtful I thought sarcastically. This was absurd. How could anyone know that I had survived, let alone be a friend. I took the "gifts" anyway, and proceeded to pack up and head out. I didnt like the idea of anyone whom knew me knowing where I was.

Knowing the exact direction of Gem, I was able to make my way to The Lap. The closest city to Gem. Being that it is such a vast distance to cover, even for being the closest city, I had to find a means of transportation. I had my gems though, so I was able to buy a way. A caravan headed there from Gem. I knew this caravan, they made trips every so often so I knew they would know nothing of me. I was expected to be dead so why would there be wanted posters for me? I helped the caravan with what I could on the way so as to not be dead weight. It took 3 full moons to get to The Lap. The ride was long, I was very excited that it was over. I immediately took in the surroundings and familiarized myself with the local places of interest. The inn, the pub, the convienience store. I was able to get settled after a couple weeks. I found work helping man the squash farms. I was able to rent out a small hut to live in. All in all it was good. I had my peace and quiet at night so that I could prepare for the journey ahead.

On the 18th night since I arrived at The Lap, I got a wrap on the door of my small hut. I had a couple friends already from the farm. I figured that it was probably just one of them. I opened my door and there was a slender man that I had never seen before. My first thought was "they knew I was alive and have found me". I kept my composure though, and politely asked "may I help you?". The man said he had come to talk about some things. I asked "what things?". The man said "I'm A friend". I felt I was in no immediate danger from this man, and remembering the note, I let him in. He stayed for a good amount of time, explaining to me my recent experience in the desert. I had assumed that with all this information, he must be a patron of the Unconquered Sun. This went on for a couple more weeks with him coming by at night and staying for a good amount of time. He even helped point me in the direction I was to go next. I had a "feeling" that what he said was true, and that I would have done so myself. I had a feeling that there was someone I needed to meet in ________. I had seen it in the stars.

==========================================================================

Reason for exaltation - (my ST is really anal about why we were chosen to be exalted)

Because I took on a leadership role to combat what I felt was unjust, I was chosen to be exalted in my time of need. I still hold a strong desire to rid the realm of unjust governence and is driven further by my exaltation. Signs from the Unconquered Sun point me in this direction to "cleanse" the realm of what is corrupt and unjust. To take back the realm from the Dragon-Blooded.

Aspect of Fire Dragon-Blooded of house Cathak w/ Red Jade Artifact weapon laden with hearthstones as shown on p31, example A.

Name: Crimson Tiger, Crimson Lion, Crimson Wolf, Bronze Tiger, Bronze Lion, Bronze Wolf,

Ruby Tiger, Ruby Lion, Ruby Wolf, Silken Tiger, Silken Lion, Silken Wolf.

Caste: Zenith

Archtype/Nature: Visionary Rebel Leader

Compassion: 2

Conviction: 2

Temperance: 3

Valor: 2

Willpower 7 (4 freebie points)

Backgrounds:

-Mentor: 2

-Artifact:2 (Orichalcum Breastplate, p.346)(Orichalcum Scimitar)

-Manse: 1 (Hearthstone)

-Resource: 2

Str. 3 Cha. 4 Per. 2

Dex. 4 Man. 2 Int. 3

Sta. 4 App. 3 Wit. 2

Melee 4 (Specialty Sword x2, 1 freebie point)

-Excellent Strike

-Hungry Tiger Technique

-Golden Essence Block

-Dipping Swallow Defense

-Solar Counterattack

Athletics 3

-Increasing Strength Exercise

Investigation 3

-Ten Magistrate Eyes

Endurance 3

-Ox Body Technique

-Essense-Gathering Temper

Performance 3

-Masterful Performance Exercise

Presence 1

Survival 3

-Hardship-Surviving Mendicant Spirit

Resistance 3

Lore 2 (1 freebie point)

Occult 1 (Specialty Astrology, Horoscopes x2) (1 freebie point)

Combos

Satisfying Retaliation (Solar Counterattack + Essence-Gathering Temper) (2 freebie points)

Cost: 4 Motes, 1 Willpower

Duration: Instant

Type: Reflexive

Savage Tiger Strike (Excellent Strike + Hungry Tiger Technique) (2 freebie points)

Cost: 1 Mote + 1 Mote per die, 1 Willpower

Duration: Instant

Type: Supplemental

Merits & Flaws

Superstition (1 point flaw)

Equipment:

Orichalcum Breastplate (artifact 1): L:8/B:6 Fatigue -0, Mobility -0

Orichalcum Scimitar: Speed +4, Accuracy +2, Damage +2L, Defense +2

Silk Clothing: Cloak, Shirt, Pants. Red sand colored.
The underline in my storyline is there to allow my storyteller to fill in so that I can easily meet with one or more of my group members. I dont know if the points on the character add up yet. I think it should, but I'm not sure. The multiple names are there because I havent yet decided on one. Maybe some input on that too? All my listed abilities are my favored. I dont have any points in unfavored abilities. If you think I should take some, please give reason and what I should trade for it. Also, is there anything that should be added or removed from the backstory for consitency reasons? Anything that might just be cool if added? Possibly some information about the Dragon-Blooded guy since I dont know much about DB's. If I can get this character to a good completion I will put the refined character into the submissions thread.

As a long time resident of the exalted world I commend you on the creation of an interesting back story for a character. There is very little wrong with it, and will make for a fine gaming experience.

As I am a storyteller myself, however, I have developed an attention to detail that you may or may not find useful here, or you could find it as aggravating as I do (sometimes), we'll see:

1: One does not simply find a hearthstone (of any level) just lying around. They are found in manses and are typically protected, being the most important part of the manse. It's beating heart, so to speak. Even if it were placed there or had dropped there or was taken off some corpse (a distinct possibility) The likelihood of this "master" gem hunter stumbling across it, with merely a 2 in perception and no awareness to speak of... Is at best abysmal... especially with other gem hunters in the area. But even if he had (for the sake of argument), just because he has the hearthstone doesn’t mean he can use it. Finding a hearthstone is merely the first step in a quest. He would then have to find the manse it belongs to (and its owners if any) and attune to it.

2: At what point during all this striving to become the best in the gem-hunting business did he have the time to pick up (let alone master) the art of swordplay? I find that most people don't think too hard about where the character would have dots, only where the dots will do the PLAYER the most good. This is a subtle distinction that can make a world of difference in the way this character gets played. There is an easy way to avoid it, though. After creating the character go back over it and find your best die pool. Does that die pool mesh with the background? Currently your highest die pool is Dex+Melee when wielding a sword. This pool is at a 10. Keeping in mind that a highly trained veteran soldier who has had combat experience in a variety of situations has a six in that same die pool. Of the die pools commonly used in finding gems (Perc.+ Invest or Awar, Int+ lore or occult, etc...) Your average pool is a 5... Hardly the best mortal for the job...

3: Another easily over-looked point of character creation is the choice of caste. This one can be quite hard, as it requires a bit of impartiality. This person is a seeker of gems and a tradesman. He also prides himself on being one of the best in gem (a tall order to say the least). This is a very Twilight sort of beginning for an exalt. Or Eclipse with a bit of social tweaking... Then, when confronted by the law, despite having nothing in his past or present to indicate skill at ducking authority, he lies to the big men who show up at his house. Now your average thug can be quite intimidating, Rancor VII employs the best money can buy. They can be willing and even quite eager to hurt you if it will loosen your lips a little. He takes a very Night caste approach to the situation. A damn ballsy one to, given his valor and conviction ratings. Then realizing the depth of Rankor’s depravity he feels he has no choice but to take up arms and lead the people in a coup. While he justifies it to himself in a zenith fashion, I guarantee the Unconquered Sun sees this as an aspirant dawn. Finally when staked out for the sun he gives up! Then is exalted… This is troublesome to say the least. As an exalt he will no doubt find himself in worse predicaments than that, and the last person the sun wants “giving upâ€

I'm not offended at all. I am happy that someone actually took the time to read it and respond. I left some holes in my backstory on purpose to give my ST an opportunity to fill them in with reasons for certain things that happened so that I would not know about them. The hearthstone is one. Why would Rankar VII want this 1 point hearthstone so badly? Maybe it was lost by someone. I dont know, I leave that to my ST.

My melee pool. I agree that I need an explanation here, I just dont have one yet. I feel I am required some sort of combat ability or our campaign will die in about 4 sessions. There is a ton of time in my backstory to explain. I never really said that I was the best or even among the best at gem hunting either. Just that I was renowned and was good. I could have been renowned for the painstaking time I spent doing it. Which could make the explanation for melee even harder. On the other hand, there could be some that can just go out there and "see" where the gems are. I didnt feel it would be of much use to an exalt so I felt no need for the essence to increase these abilities. I guess that is how I explain away a good part of my melee, the essence that came into my body was a fighter in the past. I still need some explanation for atleast some melee though, I will work on that.

I thought hard on the reason for being exalted Zenith too. I followed the core book well on this. I dont really understand your point. The book straight up says that people in their greatest time of need can be exalted. Its not the only time or reason that people are exalted, but its one of them. At some point, even the most die-hard people will give in to exhaustion. I am a natural leader, something that does fall under Zenith. I also rose up to combat authority for reasons I felt were unjust. If I had the book on me I would quote it to clarify but my ST has them all to ready the campaign.

About the charms. I want soo many charms, but I only have so many points. I have 4 charms in Zenith abilities. I have 5 in Dawn. I used to not have Solar Counterattack but I picked it up with the 4 points I had from freebies. In my mind, it didnt make much sence to go crazy on the leadership ability charms. I kinda picture it like an unrefined warrior being spotted by a master to have great potential. Because of my deeds to put my life on the line, great potential to be a leader was saw in me. Endurance, Resistance, and Survival fit more closely, but the charms are not good representations of what I would have. Maybe there will be better suited charms in those trees in books I have not yet seen. If so, I will switch my Solar Counterattack over to one of those.

What if I did something like this.

-1 Melee

- Solar Counterattack

-1 Investigation

+2 Awareness

+ Sensory Acuity Prana

Also add a little more time for training in my backstory so that I can justify my 3 in Melee. I cannot possibly put it any lower than that or I risk making my character utterly useless.

You make some good and valid points. And as a storyteller of Exalted myself, I feel you made a good call in leaving some things wide open for your ST to explain and incorporate into his game. Do not, however, assume he will be willing to tie up these loose ends for you. If these things go unanswered, or even unaddressed don’t take it personally. It is good, however, that you left room for it.

I whole-heartedly agree with the dropping of a dot in melee in exchange for some ability in awareness. I think, however, that your dots in investigation are fine where they are. Might I suggest dropping your resistance instead. Your stamina is high enough that you can afford a one or two point drop, and your awareness could sure use the boost. This would help to round out the character a little. As for charms, I know what you mean about there being a lot of good ones to choose from. Every time I create a character myself I feel like a kid in a candy store when it comes time for charms. Believe me though, you don’t need so many melee charms! If you have a Dawn caste (and what group doesn’t have on or two), you are going to be taking a second fiddle role in any combat, charms or no charms. And if you don’t, then you are really screwing the Dawn’s chance to shine, and really cut down on his usefulness. A melee of 3 with no specialty still leaves you with a seven in your die pool before accuracy bonus. That with stunt dice leaves you more than capable of mopping the floor with all but the best-trained extras, and even they will have to mob you before you go down, if even then. All this without spending a mote of your essence! As for “boss-fightsâ€

I like your character history. I find it pretty cool that you have a background at all, and not just a summary of his exaltation. I think the character should have some skills I think a gem-finder wouldn't live without. Like Awareness, Larceny, and a higher Survival (but perhaps that's just me.) Also, I don't really agree with him acutally perchasing the background Manse. Your storyteller might view it differently, but in my opinion, I wouldn't purchase the dot until you're attuned to said manse. In the meantime it's kinda a wasted dot for just a simple little rock that doesn't do you any good. Especially if it's just a plot hook to get Rancor VII to notice you. It could just as easily be spent into Contacts or Allies (being the people he's since met in the Lap.) Speaking of which, I'm sure there are plenty of towns between Gem and The Lap, just none big enough to get their own dot on the big generalized map. He could have sought refuge in one of those smaller citties. But that's a minor point I just thought I'd bring up.

Overall, it's a nifty character and I hope you like playing it. Last Question though. Are you completely sold on this whole [ Color ] Tiger, wolf, Lion thing? Because maybe it's just me but I think those kind of names are horribly cliche. There is a kick ass name generatior that I recomend for you. It's made and maintained by a dude on the Exalted Wiki named Voidstate. Name Generator of kick assness.

Actually, I hate these kinds of names. My ST is pretty hard headed when it comes to this though, as he thinks it is the common naming pattern to be named after things in creation. I would rather have a NAME, preferably a Japanese name.

My ST also said the same thing about the Manse. He said he could just give me the Hearthstone since its not a big deal and doesnt really effect game play and that I should take some contacts or allies. The hearthstone is the one point fire one that makes elements (heat, cold) have a lesser effect on me.

I dont want to raise survival because my ST doesnt like me having more than 3 in things. I am the one in the group that gets the most critiquing so I usually end up with the low end statwise. I think everyone else in the group has a couple 4's. I dont mind though, there isnt much of a difference in rating.

The thing about having 4 melee charms though. I think people are looking at it biasly. Think how many people have 2 archery and 2 dodge charms. I am doing the same thing. I just happen to have my offense and defense in the same base ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back