Chitchat Military Service Q&A

Lunar

now i know how joan of arc felt
HonoredBlackandwhiteCatfish-size_restricted.gif

Hello! My name is Lunar and I am currently serving in the United States Army! yay
I am here to answer any of your questions related to myself or the military to the best of my ability!

Feel free to ask literally anything! (Though keep it within RPN's regulations.)

on a scale from 1-10 how would you rate your level of fitness?

I would rate it an 8.
I'm a pretty small guy and I should hit the gym more often but when it comes to being physically fit, I am pretty comfortable.

In the Army we have APFTs (Army Physical Fitness Tests) and I usually score fairly high on them.

Bugsy Bugsy

We call them Ruck Marches in the US Army, and the longest I’ve gone was in training during a FTX (Field Training Excercise) and over the course of 4 days we went about 60mi or so

Lunar Lunar

Ah, right - forgive the different terminology. Roughly, now much would that equate to per day? Or was each day a different distance covered?

Hi Lunar Lunar where can I sign up at the nearest penal battalion? I cannot wait to go mine-hunting with a pitchfork and blind luck! :D

Jokes aside, I was wondering your thoughts about the U.S Marine's move to the M27 as a possible replacement for all M4/M16 service rifles? As a Brit, i'm somewhat glad that we're continuing to use the L85 platform but updated once more into the A3 model and i'm rather surprised to see the Americans moving away from their beloved M4's xD Furthermore, do you think the U.S may eventually use a bullpup sometime in the future or do you think they'll continue favoring the more traditional rifle config?

Jokes aside, I was wondering your thoughts about the U.S Marine's move to the M27 as a possible replacement for all M4/M16 service rifles? As a Brit, i'm somewhat glad that we're continuing to use the L85 platform but updated once more into the A3 model and i'm rather surprised to see the Americans moving away from their beloved M4's xD Furthermore, do you think the U.S may eventually use a bullpup sometime in the future or do you think they'll continue favoring the more traditional rifle config?

Well I like the M27 as a replacement for the M4/M16s, however the Marines took it an extra step and are using the weapon to replace the M249 (SAW) as well and, as a 249 Gunner myself, I don’t believe it will have the same suppression and fire support capabilities of the SAW.

I can’t say much for other branches but as far as the Army goes, I believe they’ll stick with a lightweight carbine type rifle.

I would love to see the Army adopt a 7.62 type AK rifle because I LOVE AKs and they can shred through IOTVs (Bullet Vests/Body Armor)

Lunar Lunar

Ah, right - forgive the different terminology. Roughly, now much would that equate to per day? Or was each day a different distance covered?

It always varied, we marched mainly at night but it was also very stormy so we had to take MANY miles of detours.

Day 1 - Roughly 16 miles in wet sand and woods
Day 2 - full almost 24 hours of rucking so cant really tell how many miles
Day 3 - Set up camp and we rucked to many different events and the ranges
Day 4 - Ruck all of that distance again back to the Company (which made up most of the miles)

Well I like the M27 as a replacement for the M4/M16s, however the Marines took it an extra step and are using the weapon to replace the M249 (SAW) as well and, as a 249 Gunner myself, I don’t believe it will have the same suppression and fire support capabilities of the SAW.

From what i've heard, it won't entirely replace the M249 as they will retain some on the company level. So if say for example a platoon are to occupy a patrol base or FOB then they'd still have some M249's laying around to step up firing positions and use the M27's as a much more mobile support rifle. Makes sense considering the current arid and undeveloped terrains in the more remote regions of Afghanistan and other middle east countries. I'd rather have the heavier gear static and the lighter stuff to hand whenever possible. Sure, if the unit were much more mobile and had the advantage of using vehicles as transports then lugging around a M249 wouldn't be such a bad thing.

From what i've heard, it won't entirely replace the M249 as they will retain some on the company level. So if say for example a platoon are to occupy a patrol base or FOB then they'd still have some M249's laying around to step up firing positions and use the M27's as a much more mobile support rifle. Makes sense considering the current arid and undeveloped terrains in the more remote regions of Afghanistan and other middle east countries. I'd rather have the heavier gear static and the lighter stuff to hand whenever possible. Sure, if the unit were much more mobile and had the advantage of using vehicles as transports then lugging around a M249 wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Ah okay well in that case sounds okay-ish. Plus the gun trucks at the gates usually have a .50 Cal mounted on it. But for squad movement combat the gunner position just worries me with the M27

Ah okay well in that case sounds okay-ish. Plus the gun trucks at the gates usually have a .50 Cal mounted on it. But for squad movement combat the gunner position just worries me with the M27
I can understand your concern, the British Army are also putting away their version of the M249 as well so my first reaction was one of confusion. It's a fantastic piece of kit, able to put alot of rounds down range and has become a core part of the infantry squad.

However, the infantry as important as they are ~ are a piece of the total combined arms tactics we use today. Helicopters, planes, tanks, IFVs, APCs, mortars, static weapons and so on.. all of which support the infantry who's job it is to get up close to the enemy and take ground from them ~ something that is all the more difficult to do if you're the one lugging around a light machine gun and a decent amount of it's ammunition. With all this modern day support, it's understandable that they want to make the infantry lighter, more mobile, more self sufficient (I know you can use standard 30 round magazines in the M249 but it's very unreliable with them) and able to do what they do best ~ get up close to the enemy and take ground from them.

Of course, I wouldn't want to see the M249 completely replaced and I don't think it will. As with the M240, it'll be a situational piece of equipment than a standard issued kit. Sometimes they'll be kept in the static positions as very accurate, suppressive machine guns or can be taken out with the squads when they need a bit more firepower to hand if they perhaps intend to engage in a very intense fight.. etc.. etc..

Relevant to this is a video by a very favorite Youtube channel of mine, InRangeTV and they've also discussed the application of the M27 ~ correctly remarking it to the Soviet RPK as both are able to take standard infantry rifle magazines and are very mobile pieces of kit to use:

Last edited:
Oh man, well, since you're the active duty bloke here, I guess I can answer questions about the National Guard.

I'll start off by saying, please don't join the National Guard reserves if you're desperate for a good income. XD

Oh man, well, since you're the active duty bloke here, I guess I can answer questions about the National Guard.

I'll start off by saying, please don't join the National Guard reserves if you're desperate for a good income. XD

Its a steady income but you can't live off of it in the guard LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back