Lunar Limt Break

Djalan Pride

here's how it reads

"the player makes a willpower roll for his character whenever he is first struck by the light of the full moon. if the roll fails, add one point to limit. if it botches, the lunar automatically suffers limit break and is overcome by his animal nature for the rest of the night and will only revert back to normal at daybreak.  if it is successful, the character can resist the effects of the Great Curse for one hour for each success he gains on the willpower roll."

couple qestions on this.

1.  does this happen all three nights of the full moon?

2.  if he succeeds on his initial roll, if he doesnt get at least 8 successes (rough guesstimate for how many hours the moon is out on average), is he going to limit break for a few hours of the night anyway?

3.  ever notice how white wolf in it's effort to represent both genders in the descriptive aspects of the game, they always seems to place men on the shitty side - great curse, falling, dying, victim of artful maiming onslaught, etc. and women always seem to be used in the description of perfect defences, smiting of the enemy, martial art pinnacle charms and the like.  what gives?

1. Yes

2. No. We've always run it like so: during those hours given by a successfull roll they were immune to effects of the curse, and after that no worries until the next night as the rules say "First struck by moonlight". What I'm trying to say is they don't suffer a break at the end of the grace period, but during that period they can do things that would normally raise their limit without doing so.

3. Yes, I've noticed, and it's kind of sucky...  :cry:

3.  ever notice how white wolf in it's effort to represent both genders in the descriptive aspects of the game' date=' they always seems to place men on the shitty side - great curse, falling, dying, victim of artful maiming onslaught, etc. and women always seem to be used in the description of perfect defences, smiting of the enemy, martial art pinnacle charms and the like.  what gives?[/quote']
Never noticed...

~FC.

First, let me say that the quoted passage is one of the shittiest, most confusing rules ever printed in the game. It could have been made MUCH clearer if they had used a few more sentences.

Why they chose to order it "fails/succeeds/botches" is beyone me, and only serves to make it more confusing.

I run it thusly:

• If the roll succeeds, nothing happens, but the Lunar has to make another check in X hours. If he can keep succeeding until daybreak, it's over, at least until the next night of the full moon.
  • If the roll fails, the Lunar gains 1 Limit, with the standard consequences.
  • If the roll botches, he flips out immediately, regardless of his Limit level, but only for that one night. His Limit resets to 0.

I think that's pretty straightforward.

-S

On the subject of Lunar Limitbreaks, do I have to resist the limit break. I mean, if I feel like I'm in the mood to play out "Curse of the Raging Bull", can't I just have my character intentionally give in?  While under the effects of the Curse of the Raging Bull, the character cannot fail valor checks. I mean, that sounds like a nice trade-off for brazeness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back