Lovecraftian Horror/Adventure

Grey said:
I gen'rally feel it can be effective to prime players with exposure to things like police brutality, negligent parenting, and the gruesome results of some corrupt governance. Even moreso if you have NPCs doing horrible things for what they believe to be the right reasons.
Because then the veil is drawn back and it provides that alteration of perspective that can push a character to breaking point - these awful things done, all that suffering, and it turns out to be for nothing.

I got great results from making players witness the atrocities of a third world dictator for an hour and half before any Mythos stuff showed up at all.
Noice. I don't really know how I could really implement that in the given setting though. The inhabitants of Arkham are not necessarily "welcoming" but they're not outright violent.

It is trickier in the modern day. Could always play up police brutality, or homophobia, or racism, or Islamophobia or particularly nasty political corruption. Try to tap into the fears of the age and how they can bring out the worst in people.

Or so I'd advise; naturally I wouldn't hold you to any of this.

Grey said:
It is trickier in the modern day. Could always play up police brutality, or homophobia, or racism, or Islamophobia or particularly nasty political corruption. Try to tap into the fears of the age and how they can bring out the worst in people.
Or so I'd advise; naturally I wouldn't hold you to any of this.
I don't think it would really add that much to the setting to make the NPCs particularly brutal. A bit leery with detestable opinions, but not evil.

It is trickier in the modern day. Could always play up police brutality, or homophobia, or racism, or Islamophobia or particularly nasty political corruption. Try to tap into the fears of the age and how they can bring out the worst in people. Or so I'd advise; naturally I wouldn't hold you to any of this.

If you know anyone who would want to participate or if you want to yourself, the interest check is up. 

I'm afraid I don't do freeform, but if I'll almost certainly recommend it to people I know who would.

Meanwhile, I've put an interest check up for something in a thematically similar space, if you'd be interested. It's not directly related to Lovecraft beyond his work being one of my creative influences.

I'm afraid I don't do freeform, but if I'll almost certainly recommend it to people I know who would.

Meanwhile, I've put an interest check up for something in a thematically similar space, if you'd be interested. It's not directly related to Lovecraft beyond his work being one of my creative influences.

I will check it out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back