Legal Question

Flagg

The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment
Is it a violation of copyright if I were to make available for download the Exalted PDFs that drivethruprg.com has given away for free?

I'm assuming there's something in the fine print forbidding it, but I decided I'd check to see if anyone knows for sure.

-S

The best thing to do is pop a note off to the nice folks at WW.  Ask them what their policy is regarding PDF formatted material, and stress that your site is concerned about the legality of providing such material, as you've had requests from your users regarding such items. Stress that you are not interested in providing such materials if they consider such documents as infringements on their copyrights--that you understand that they control the distribution rights, and if such items violate their right to control distribution that you will not allow said materials to be hawked through your site.      

Ask them their general policy about PDF's as well--so that you can police your site for possible activity--because if WW wants to come down like a sack of hammers, you don't want your site being  hit with suit.

In general--if it's published, and is on sale--then you need to respect  WW's  right to distribute material as they see fit. That's the real problem in most P2P transfers is that it violates the copyright holder's right to distribute product.  It's basic ass covering.  

Pop a note off to WW and see what their policy is, and  let that be your guide. Stress that you want to know what the policy is, that your site is new, and as a new webmaster, you want to be sure what they would consider well and meet, so that you can moderate your forums appropriately.

Of course, that may mean scrubbing posts later on  from folks who are interested in distributing materials illegally.  Which, makes you The Man.  Congrats. You, Da Man now. Enjoy its sweet taste...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back