Chitchat Lacking emotional introspection?

Fluquor

Carpet Shark
So I'm... a bit curious. Is there any real way to 'feel' what emotions one's experiencing at the moment? The only ones that I'm truly capable of realizing are humor/amusement and agitation. Other than that I don't usually feel, well, anything. Granted, I am on the autism scale - the high-functioning end of a case of Aspergers - so that is likely the majority of my problems there... (And I ask that you excuse me in advance if I call myself an unkempt retard, etc... I like occasionally mocking myself.)

Which leads me to really kind of pose a question to anyone interested enough to answer. What kind of symptoms go with which emotions? I'm not entirely looking for a way to experience them per say, but learning how other people identify what they feel is something I believe would prove extremely helpful given my impairment on the matter.

{For example; my stepdad had to point out that my attempts to comfort my mother while she was sick was proof that I could experience familial love.}

That's not that big of a problem. Amusement and anger are all you need.

I mean, it's not like I do the same shit! Ha-ha-ha, I am completely in control of my emotions and am familiar with all of them. Ha-ha-ha.

Considering I'm the type of person who delves a lot into schadenfreude, I'm the wrong person to ask about this.

When someone's having a bad day, especially if it is someone I detest then I'm having a good one, even though it was shitty to start with.

I can say rage gives me something akin to a "runner's high" after I start to cool down.

It doesn't seem like a lack of emotions but rather an inability to recognize them when they occur. There's a word I would like to introduce to the discussion but I won't overstep by suggesting it applies to you personally. Alexithymia is a trait where people lack the words to express their own emotions.

Alexithymia is a personality characteristic. Here is how wiki defines it:
  1. difficulty identifying feelings and distinguishing between feelings and the bodily sensations of emotional arousal
  2. difficulty describing feelings to other people
  3. constricted imaginal processes, as evidenced by a scarcity of fantasies
  4. a stimulus-bound, externally oriented cognitive style.
As for your true question about what symptoms go with which emotions....hmmmm. That's a complicated one. Maybe things like.... your voice getting louder while talking would indicate excitement.

I don't know. Maybe look into studying psychology and sociology for better answers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back