• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Kingdom of Blades Online (SAO Fanfic)

Issenkraal

So, this is a story I've been working on for a bit now. It's my first time doing anything like this, so I'm looking for all the feedback I can get! Lemme know what you think, guys! :)

Kingdom of Blades Online

The Deal

The obnoxious sound of the school bell brought the entire class to attention. Jason sat up in his chair, blinking to reveal startlingly blue eyes, like the bottom of a glacier. His silver-gray hair was unkempt, but still looked like it fit perfectly atop his head. “Enjoy the rest of your day, students!” The teacher, a pretty little thing just out of college herself, said. At the announcement of their release, Jason hurried out of the room. He didn’t even bother to talk to any of his friends before heading home. Today’s the day!! He thought, grinning to himself. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and headed towards home. Today was the release of the first ever Virtual Reality MMORPG, Kingdom of Blades Online. His friend, Xander had been a beta tester and told him all about it. Jason waited in line two days just to get one of the last 1,000 copies, since only 10,000 had been released. He was drawn from his thoughts when he realized he had made it home. As soon as the impatient teen got inside, he went straight to his room and dropped his bag on the floor. Sighing in relief, he plopped onto the bed. Within seconds, the Enviro-Grid, which was used to play VR games, was over his head and he was shouting the activation command. “Link Start!”

“Link Start!” Moments later, icy-blue eyes opened, taking in the world around him. The game included a HUD, with an hp gauge and the name Issen in the top left corner of his field of vision. Several blue auras announced the arrival of other players into the world of Aegis, the world within KBO. The starting city waited before him. Issen grinned once more. So this is the world I’ve been waiting for? It was astonishingly real. He held his hands in front of his face, They sure look real, he thought. Upon inspection of his bag, he found a simple beginner’s sword and some basic armor. He equipped it, taking a look at himself in a mirror. The armor was a simple plain white, with a light blue trim that matched his eyes. Not bad at all. He thought as he headed into the main district of the city, running one hand through his messy, silver-grey hair. Several players walked beside him, with weapons and armor of their own. However, some of the obviously newer ones hadn’t even gotten that far yet. Issen wasted no time gathering a few supplies throughout the city before heading out into the field to get some early training done. The low level mobs were easy targets for Issen and the few other people training nearby. “Phew,” he huffed, taking note of how he himself felt exhausted from all the effort, even though he knew it was just the program. It’s so strange, having to move to make an action happen, Issen thought to himself as he defended against a low level wolf. The creature howled, swiping at Issen again. He side-stepped to the left, slicing upwards as he did. Before the wolf could react, he followed through by slicing downwards then spinning quickly and slicing the monster from head to tail. The monster roared in pain as it shattered into thousands of blue crystals which quickly faded into the air. <<LEVEL UP: 3>> “Yes!” Issen cheered, throwing his fist into the air.

The sound of a bell ringing spread throughout the field, drawing the attention of most the players. Without warning, Issen found himself transported to what he recognized as the main district within Ash town. Thousands of other players crowded the large area. Suddenly, red panels replaced the previously clear blue sky. Issen gasped in shock as a crimson red liquid began to seep through the panel lines until it looked the sky was raining blood. “Greetings.” A booming voice swept across the town. “My name is Evan Reave, the creator of Kingdom of Blades Online.” The owner of the voice was a hooded figure floating in the sky. His robe was an ominous crimson red, with gold trim. The fact that you couldn’t see his face made him that much more intimidating. What’s going on? Issen wondered, struggling to remain calm. He spotted the avatar of his friend Xander nearby. “Alistar!” He shouted, using Xander’s in game name to address him. Alistar turned, flashing a smile. “Issen! I knew you’d be here!” His brown hair was spiked like usual, and his light purple eyes seemed to stare right through Issen. “Do you have any idea what’s going on?” Alistar asked, rubbing his head in confusion. Issen laughed before replying, “I was actually going to ask you the same thing.” Before either could continue the conversation, the figure floating in the sky answered for them. “Some of you may have noticed by now, the log out function has been removed from your main menus.” Most of the figures within the area opened their menus to confirm what Reave had just said. “This is not a bug, but a feature of KBO.” He continued. “In this game, if your health reaches zero and your avatar is deleted, you die as well.” Several players shouted in protest, claiming it wasn’t possible. “Of course it is.” Reave chuckled menacingly. “In the event of your avatar’s death, the Enviro-Grid sends a powerful microwave, frying your brain. The same will happen if the Enviro-Grid is removed from your person by anyone in the living world.” By now, most everyone had figured out what was going on. Kingdom of Blades Online, the first ever VRMMORPG had been turned into a death game. “Welcome to my world.” The figure floating in the sky laughed once more. “The only way any of you will live to see your friends and family again is if you’re able to clear all 100 floors of Aegis. I’d like to make it very clear, though… If at any time throughout this game, your hp depletes to zero, your avatar will be lost forever. Simultaneously the Enviro-Grid will destroy your brain.” Nobody within the town said a word, afraid they’d miss anything else important. “Good luck, players.” With that, the figure ripped open a hole in the sky, revealing what looked to be the system itself. The cloaked man stepped through, letting the rift close behind him.

“How can he get away with this?!” Issen shouted in protest, turning towards Alistar. Alistar’s brow furrowed as he considered the implications of Reave’s words. “I’m honestly not sure, Issen.” Most the players were running around in panic, colliding with one another. “For now, follow me.” Alistar turned, walking down a nearby alley. Issen followed obediently. In short time the two boys found themselves at the local inn. Alistar paid the NPC and they made their way to a room. “We can talk here and figure out a plan.” Alistar sat down on the surprisingly soft bed, placing his sword and shield beside him. Issen sat on the bed opposite him, placing his sword next to him as well. “So..?” Issen asked after a few minutes of silence. Alistar looked up with an oddly serious look on his face. “You’re not gonna like this,” he began, “but I think it’d be best for us to go solo right now.” Issen’s jaw dropped. “Are you kidding me?!” He looked at his friend once more, noting the studded royal blue jacket and black pants with a matching pair of black gloves and boots. Alistar had obviously already completed a few quests and was ahead of Issen. He’d been a beta tester, so it wasn’t very surprising. Alistar began to explain, but was cut off by the sound of arguing just outside their room. It subsided shortly, and the two focused on each other once more. “If you ever need my help, you can message me and I’ll be there. For now, however, it’d be best for you to go without me. You know the system well enough to get by, and I need to be here on the front line for those who don’t.” Issen’s initial anger disappeared. “I get it.” He smiled at Alistar. “Then if that’s what you think is best, I’ll find my way on my own.” Alistar sighed, glad that Issen hadn’t remained upset. “One day though, I’ll be fighting right next to you on the front lines, so don’t do anything stupid!” Issen added. “Of course not!” Alistar replied, holding his hand in front of him. Issen took it, shaking it once. “It’s a deal.”

Chance Encounter

Issen shivered against the cold wind. It was night time, and he had been out a little longer than he expected. Most players didn’t venture out at night, or anywhere near as far from the Ash Town as he had. They were too afraid, and reasonably so. It had only been about two weeks since KBO first went online. Nobody had even found the boss room for the first floor dungeon, and not many were trying. I wonder how Alistar’s doing? Issen himself was level eight, which was pretty impressive. The sound of a twig snapping behind him brought Issen’s attention back to the world before him. In an instant, his sword was in his hand and he stood at the ready. “Who’s there?!” He shouted, not really expecting an answer. Suddenly, a figure emerged from the woods Issen had just left. “Were you following me?” The bewilderment was apparent on his face. The figure before him was clad in midnight black plated armor, with intricate patterns detailing the set in viridian green. Obviously he had the makings of a powerful tank player. He wielded a simple sword and a black tower shield with the emblem of a roaring dragon that matched the green of the armor. “My name is Ephixio.” The man, who looked to be about 18, introduced himself. Issen grinned, “Name’s Issen. Nice to meet you.” At that, Ephixio smiled as well, catching Issen’s attention. He studied Ephixio’s appearance, trying to recall if he had seen the player before. The man’s neatly kept blonde hair and stunning blue-green eyes immediately drew Issen’s attention, but it was his smile that made Issen stare. It was the one of a kind, genuine smile that could light up an entire room. “What are you doing all the way out here?” He asked. Ephixio shrugged, “I got lost. I was actually hoping you could help me get back to town. Issen sensed that Ephixio wasn’t telling the whole truth, but he let him get away with it. “Well that’s a first! Not many people get lost out here and live to tell about it.” Ephixio chuckled, “I’m not so bad at this myself. I got this rare armor from a random event the day after this death game started.” Issen’s eyes narrowed. “I knew that armor couldn’t be normal.” He couldn’t help but be a bit jealous. “Anyway, the town is this way.” He sent a party invite to Ephixio before turning around and heading back towards Ash Town.

“I can finally see it!” Ephixio shouted happily. The town had just gotten back into view. “Yup, we’re almost there!” Issen confirmed, picking up the pace. “Thanks for all the help.” Ephixio turned towards Issen, smiling once more. Issen turned away, feigning indifference. “It was nothing really.” Ephixio frowned, “Most other people wouldn’t have even been out there, let alone willing to help,” he argued. Issen smiled to himself. “I suppose that’s true,” he conceded. Moments after entering town Ephixio spotted the nearest restaurant, dragging Issen with him. “I owe you!” A short time later, Issen found himself seated in front of a plate full of steaming hot food. His stomach growled obnoxiously and he blushed slightly as Ephixio’s light hearted laughter filled the room. “I knew you’d be hungry!” Ephixio smiled, taking his fork in hand and attacking the plate in front of him. Within minutes, the food was gone from both plates. “That hit the spot,” Ephixio sighed, a look of content sprawled across his face. Despite his light complexion, and short stature, something about him was simply captivating. Issen couldn’t help but pay attention. What the hell is wrong with me? The silver haired warrior wondered. This is a guy! In a video game, no less. He chided himself for thinking such strange thoughts. “You ok?” Ephixio asked, noticing that Issen had been staring into space. “Yeah, I’m fine.” Issen replied, shrugging away the thoughts that plagued his mind. “Alright! I have an idea.” Ephixio announced, grinning with excitement. “You and I are a team now!” Issen began to shake his head no, but Ephixio wrapped his arm around Issen’s neck, pulling him in. “No choice, bud!” Ephixio let Issen go, laughing as he fell to the floor. “Now, we need to find a place to stay for the night!” With that, Ephixio left the restaurant. Dumbfounded, Issen slowly got up to follow.

Issen stared up at the ceiling, unable to sleep. He and Ephixio had managed to find a place nearby that was affordable. Unfortunately, this place only had one bed and Issen had drawn the short stick. Issen turned to look at the sleeping figure in the bed across from him. Ephixio, now in a simple pair of black shorts, was fast asleep. His slow and steady breathing caused Issen to smile. What am I getting myself into? He wondered. Ephixio’s blue-green eyes fluttered open. “Issen?” He whispered, “You still awake?” Issen nodded. “I’ve always been somewhat of an insomniac.” He shrugged. “Oh, I see.” Ephixio nodded as if he’d expected it all along. “You can join me up here, if you want.” Ephixio offered, patting the empty spot next to him. “Even if it’s virtual reality, these beds are pretty comfy.” Issen shook his head, “I’m alright, thanks.” Ephixio chuckled, “Suit yourself.” He closed his eyes and for a moment Issen assumed he had fallen asleep once more. “Why do you continue to fight?” Ephixio asked, surprising Issen. He hesitated, shocked at the abrupt question. “Ummm…” He replied, struggling to think of the best way to put his feelings into words. “I guess… It’s because I know some people here aren’t strong enough to fight for themselves. So, I’ve got to be strong for them.” Ephixio smiled bigger than Issen had seen yet. “That’s a good answer,” he mumbled through a yawn. Issen, now curious, asked, “Why do you fight, Ephixio?” Ephixio’s face grew solemn, “To be honest, you found me just as I’d given up…” His blue-green eyes clouded over. “I just can’t see anyone in this world living to the end.” He admitted. “If you hadn’t found me, I’d be wolf food by now.” Issen’s eyes went wide with shock. How could somebody as naturally powerful as Ephixio have an attitude like that? Issen realized his initial impression was off. Ephixio wasn’t some great legend of an RPG player, he was scared just like everyone else. “Hey Ephixio?” Issen asked, after a moment of silence. “Is that offer still open?” Ephixio smiled. “Sure!” Issen opened his menu, switching into a pair of shorts of his own before climbing into bed next to Ephixio. He met Ephixio’s eyes before blushing and turning to face the opposite direction. He’s right, these things are pretty comfy. Issen thought to himself. Issen was surprised to feel Ephixio’s arm wrap itself around his waist and pull him a little closer. He felt the warmth of Ephixio’s body heat against his back and decided not to complain. Maybe this isn’t so bad? He thought to himself. A few minutes later the both of them were sound asleep.

The Forest’s Edge

After a few days of exploring different dungeons together, Ephixio and Issen decided to attend a meeting that had been called for all the strongest players in the game. Issen had been invited by the person hosting the meeting, Alistar. Ephixio and Issen strode into the meeting and sat near the back, observing the other players that had gathered. It was a discouragingly small group; only 30 or so people were there. “Hello everyone,” a familiar voice reached Issen’s ears and he began to smile. “My name is Alistar, and I’m the one who has gathered all of you here today.” Alistar’s familiar face came into view as he stood up to address the group of players before him. A few of them mumbled a greeting. “What we’re here to discuss is how we’re going to clear the game.” Alistar continued. “How are we supposed to do that?” A man with short orange hair scoffed. Alistar continued, ignoring the character. “Yesterday, me and my party traveled deep into the Forests at the far end of the map. We found a dungeon there, and we think the floor boss is gonna be holed up in that dungeon somewhere.” Several players gasped. The orange haired man stood up before shouting, “Where’s your proof?!” he asked in a demanding tone. “There was a powerful direwolf, like a boss, in the field before it. Thanks to the open range, me and my parry were able to coordinate and avoid his attacks while dealing enough damage to take him down.” Everyone was paying attention now. “The dungeon boss will be much more difficult, for it will be in an enclosed area. We won’t be able to avoid it’s attacks and we can’t take them as a single team. We need a coordinated effort.” The orange haired man interrupted again, “You can’t seriously be thinking about going in there? It’s suicide!” A few players nodded their heads in agreement. “You’re wrong.” Alistar replied, “I was a beta tester, I’ve cleared this boss easy.” Without stopping to let anyone interject, Alistar continued, “With an over leveled group this big, we shouldn’t have any trouble with this guy.” Issen looked at the players around him, wondering what level they were. I’m level 11 and Ephixio is level 10, which is pretty high compared to most… Are these guys on par with us? He thought to himself. Alistar’s voice dragged him out of his thoughts. “We’ll be forming a raid group with parties of six, go ahead and prepare those now. Starting tomorrow, we’ll launch a full scale effort to locate the boss room and take the first step to gaining our freedom back!” Sensing their dismissal, the players split into groups and went back to their own schedules.

Only Issen, Ephixio, Alistar and his party remained. “Issen, how have you been?” He asked, pulling his friend into a hug. “I’m glad to see you’re still around.” Issen laughed, “With this guy here, there’s not a lot to worry about.” He gestured to Ephixio who held out a hand in greeting. “My name’s Ephixio, it’s nice to meet you.” Alistar replied in kind before introducing the three other members in his party. “This is Seraffia and her familiar, Artemis.” He pointed to a girl with olive colored skin and forest green eyes. Her expression was fierce, but not uninviting. She wore a dark gray studded leather armor with brown boots, lined with silver fur and matching gloves. A silk ribbon hung from her side that was colored like the most beautiful starry night sky, and a pair of daggers were strapped to her belt. Her familiar, Artemis was a large wolf with black and silver fur, with a diamond shaped patch of fur on his chest. Clearly, the two of them were capable fighters. ”Pleasure to meet you.” The small girl stepped forward to shake both their hands. “This is Inarius.” Alistar continued. The man standing next to Seraffia nodded his head in greeting. He had medium length black hair that settled rather plainly on his head. His eyes were a mesmerizing gray color, and his skin was a pale white. Inarius’ apparel was as dark as his hair, and as fantastic as the rest of the people in the party. It looked pretty light, but solid; obviously right in the middle of heavy and light which meant he focused on speed. The armor was detailed to look almost like scales. The most notable thing about his appearance was the lethal looking Katana that hung from his side. The sheath alone was extravagantly decorated in light blue trim, and what looked to be some sort of ancient language engraved into the side. It was more than likely an extremely rare weapon, likely a drop from one of the mid-level bosses. Standing on his other side was another female character. She had snow white hair, and pretty brown eyes. The female wore what appeared to be a simple set of intricately designed cloth armor. Her armor was a deep ruby red, with white trim that seemed to dance over the base color like a flame. A large bow, carved inctricately from white oak, was strapped to her back next to a quiver full of black arrows with white feathers. She offered a wave to Issen and Ephixio, “My name is Ayame.” Issen and Ephixio both introduced themselves. Standing next to this group, Issen felt even weaker than he already had next to Ephixio or Alistar.

“Me and Ephixio are in a party together, but that’s it.” Issen replied, feeling somewhat dumb. “Well why don’t you join us?” Alistar offered. “If you think you can handle it, that is. We’re going to be leading the main charge once we find the boss.” Issen’s eyes widened with surprise. “Are you crazy?” He asked. Alistar shook his head, “Nobody else could pull it off and you know it.” Issen nodded. What Alistar had said was definitely true. “Alright then,” Issen smiled, “I guess we’ll join you then.” Alistar and the rest of the party smiled before sending the invites and making the necessary changes. “Let’s head back to town, everyone.” Alistar turned, leading the group home.

Once they were back in town, the party gathered supplies for the day ahead of them and met at the meeting place they had previously decided on, a local tavern to discuss a battle plan. “Alright, if what took place in the beta test remains true, and it has so far, the boss will be a ghost knight. It should have skeleton mobs guarding it. We’ll need to coordinate groups blocking and attacking, and make sure some are holding off the mobs.” Alistar didn’t hesitate to begin divulging his knowledge from the beta test. The rest of the group nodded as he continued to explain the battle plan. “We’ll be the main attack force. Parties A and B will switch to handle defending. Parties C and D will take care of the skeleton mobs.” Alistar sat back and folded his arms as he finished. “That sounds like a perfect plan to me!” Ephixio nodded his head in approval and smiled. The rest of the group murmured in agreement. “Alright, then we’ll stay here for the night. I assume everyone has money for a room?” “Ummm… Not me.” Ephixio dropped his head in embarrassment. Issen grinned slightly, “That’s alright, you’re just gonna have to share a room with me.” Alistar clapped his hands, “Sounds like we’re set then. I’ll get the message out to the other players and see you guys in the morning.” At that, the group purchased rooms and retired in short time.

“Guess they only have rooms with one bed.” Issen immediately noticed as they entered the room. “Would we really need two?” Ephixio said, grinning devilishly. Issen laughed before blushing slightly at how blunt Ephixio was on the subject. Ephixio quickly changed into the same pair of black shorts he usually wore while Issen changed to his white pair. The two climbed into bed. Issen turned to look at Ephixio, surprised to see his blue-green eyes open and gazing at Issen. Without saying a word, Ephixio leaned in and kissed Issen. Issen’s eyes went wide with shock, but he closed them quickly, savoring the brief moment that their lips intertwined. It was absolutely amazing. He noticed Ephixio staring and immediately blushed. The silver haired boy turned away, trying to hide his embarrassment His heart was pounding so loud he swore Ephixio could hear it. “Anything?” Ephixio asked, chuckling slightly. Issen began blushing even more. “I’ve uhh… Never really done anything like this before.” He admitted, staring at the ceiling. “Whatdya mean, ‘this?’” Ephixio asked, smiling that adorable smile once again. “There’s nothing going on between me and you!” Ephixio joked, adding a wink. I must be going insane. Issen thought as he turned to look at Ephixio once more. He smiled, before adding confidently, “No, I think I want there to be something.” Ephixio’s smiled turned from playful to pure joy. He pulled Issen into a hug and kissed him again. “I think I’ll be just fine with that.” Issen smiled, laying his head down on Ephixio’s chest. He quickly fell asleep, listening to the rhythmic beating of Ephixio’s heart.

Auroch the Fallen

The next morning the raid party met at the edge of the forest. Everyone was decorated for battle. They all looked prepared, even if somewhat frightened. Alistar stood at the front of the group, turning to address them all. “This is it, everyone. You’ve all worked hard to get here, and this is an amazing pace to be at last.” The crowd had eyes for Alistar alone. “Remember your roles in the battle to come. Fight hard, and send a message to the other party leaders the instant you discover the boss room.” “The other five party leaders nodded. Alistar grinned, raising his fist into the air, “Today we take our first step to reclaiming our freedom!!” The group roared in approval, throwing their arms into the air as well. The group separated into their pre-decided parties and headed in different directions. Within moments, the clearing before the dungeon was empty.

Eight hours had gone by with no message from the other parties. Ephixio dashed to the front of the group, raising his massive shield as if it weighed nothing. A loud crash resounded throughout the murky woods as he blocked a vicious attack from an Undead Knight wielding a massive black two handed sword. Issen and Alistar dashed forward in sync, slashing the creature in a V shape. The Undead Knight’s heavy armor protected it from taking any serious damage. It recovered surprisingly quickly, lunging at Alistar. Before the attack could land, an arrow pierced the Knight’s arm, causing it to screech in pain. Seizing the opportunity, Inarius leapt into the air, spinning once before slamming his katana into the Undead Knight’s helmet, effectively cutting it in half. Issen panted slightly, “That’s one hell of a weapon.” Inarius nodded in thanks before turning back to the path. “Not much for talking, is he?” Issen asked, turning towards Alistar. “Never really has been.” Alistar responded, shrugging his shoulders. Suddenly Alistar’s eyes flitted to the bottom right corner of his screen. “Is it a message?” Issen asked, spotting the movement. “Indeed it is!” Alistar exclaimed with a smile. “We know where the boss is!” He reported, turning to the party. “They’ve even sent the coordinates.” Seraffia huffed, “About time. Let’s get a move on.” Her hair flared as she turned sharply in the appropriate direction. Not questioning her, the rest of the party followed suit.

The coordinates led to an opening that revealed a seemingly peaceful grove. The raid party waited just in front of the clearing. Alistar’s party was the last to arrive since they had apparently headed off in the opposite direction, originally. Alistar wasted no time reaching the front of the group. He offered no words and simply raised his sword, before turning around and walking calmly into the grove. As soon as the entire raid party had entered through the opening, brilliant blue flames lit up the center of the grove as pieces of ancient armor collected from the ground arranged themselves into a set and snatched a double edged blade from the ground. The weapon looked like a simple double edged sword until the ghost knight picked it up. That’s when the blade transformed and assumed a hilt made of bone. As soon as this happened, the same blue fire engulfed the two blades. A pair of eyes lit up the inside of the helmet and a menacing laugh echoed throughout the clearing. Four green bars rose next to the monsters head, next to the name Auroch the Fallen. “Well… That’s different, they gave it a name.” Alistar noted, not surprised by the sword’s transformation. As soon as the creature was complete, blue flames rose from the ground on the outskirts of the clearing, offering an ominous light to fight by. The creature snarled and raised both his arms upwards. Skeleton Warriors erupted from the ground, wielding a myriad of weapons. A separate group of Skeleton Archers rose from the ground simultaneously. “And they added Skeleton Archers.” Alistar rolled his eyes with annoyance. Thinking quickly, Alistar shouted to the group. “Two members from both parties A and C will help take care of the archers along with Seraffia and Ayame from my party!” Players from each indicated party split off and joined Ayame and Seraffia, waiting behind the rest of their party. “Other than that, we stick to formation! For Freedom!!!” he roared, charging forward. The rest of the raid party charged behind him, shouting battle cries of their own.

Auroch howled in pain and dropped to one knee. Inarius leapt forward, slashing the creature. A rainbow of sword skills followed, dancing through the air. The players hacked away, trying to deal as much damage as possible before the boss recovered. Without warning, he slammed his fist into the ground, sending out a shockwave. With that last barrage, they had managed to take away two and a half bars total. Seconds later, Auroch was on the offensive once more, slashing in a wide arc towards Alistar’s party. “Party C, block! Party B, switch!” The group followed his commands, thwarting the attack flawlessly. However, the flame from the sword had burned several members of party C, leaving them badly injured. “Party D, switch!” Alistar commanded as he dashed towards the boss. He swung his massive sword, glowing blue at the activation of a sword skill, aiming right for Auroch’s ribs. The Knight reacted too fast, twirling his sword to deflect the attack and rip through Alistar at the same time. Alistar fell to the ground clutching his side. Ephixio sprinted in between them, shielding Alistar from the deadly attack. His massive shield prevented the flame from damaging either player. Issen took the opportunity and slashed Auroch across his stomach before twirling to kick him squarely in the chest, sending him crashing to the ground.

Seraffia eyes glinted with excitement as she danced across the battlefield. Her daggers glowed one color after the other as she chained combos, dashing from one archer to the next. Her armor gave her moves extended reach, allowing her to dash from one enemy to the next with little effort. Artemis leapt onto a nearby Skeleton Warrior, ripping it’s blade from it’s grip. With a savage howl and one mighty swipe, Artemis sent the Skeleton Warrior’s head flying across the grove. On the other side, Ayame launched one arrow after the other, each finding their mark and claiming one skeleton after the other. When they saw Alistar go down, they immediately sprinted to the center of the battlefield, returning to their original party.

Issen took over in Alistar’s stead. “Squads A and C regroup and concentrate on dealing with the Skeleton Warriors. Squad’s B and D, turn your attention to the Archers!” He shouted, preparing himself for the next stage of Auroch’s assault. The Ghost Knight howled, heaving fire between his jaws. Ephixio reacted instantly, putting himself between Issen and Auroch. The fire rolled harmlessly off the shield and past the two. Ephixio grunted with effort as he rushed forward, remaining behind his shield, to bash Auroch and give Issen an opening. Issen ran directly behind Ephixio, leaping out at the last second to slash the boss in a ward arc across his entire torso. Two arrows whizzed past his head, slamming into the boss. Auroch howled in pain, as a wave of fire exploded from his chest, colliding into Ayame. Ephixio had protected Alistar and Seraffia, leaving them with only minor damage from the attack. Issen had managed to avoid most of the attack by performing a spin technique right as the fire reached him. Ephixio dashed at Auroch, drawing his long sword for the first time, he spun once and slashed the creature horizontally before lunging forward and stabbing a hole through his stomach. Issen leapt from behind him, shouting as he spun in the air and slammed the heel of his boot into the Ghost Knight’s helmet, crushing him into the ground. Issen landed lightly on his feet, then turned and thrust his blade through Auroch’s heart, causing him to burst into a million blue shards of data, as if he were any other monster.

<<CONGRATULATIONS, YOU’VE CLEARED THE FIRST FLOOR BOSS AND RECEIVED THE LAST ATTACK BONUS DROP>> An item appeared in front of Issen. <<BLADESHIFTER>> It looked exactly like the sword the monster used, before he picked it up. Issen accepted the item and quickly equipped it. Once the sword appeared in his hands it glowed a brilliant white light and transformed just as it had in Auroch’s hands. The hilt had become a snow white, with what looked like diamond dust scattered across it as if to imitate snow. The blades had taken on a more simple look, only curving slightly towards the edge before ending in a deadly sharp point. “That’s incredible!” Issen gasped. The others looked with astonishment. Alistar, having been restored to health with a potion, stepped forward. “That must be Bladeshifter. You’re one lucky guy, Issen. There’s only a 1% chance for that item to drop, and you only get one go at a floor boss.” Issen’s eyes went wide with shock, “Are you serious?!” Alistar nodded, “Not only is that an extremely rare and unique item, but it’s one you’ll never have to replace. As you’ve already seen, the blade changes with it’s owner, which means it will grow more powerful as you do.” Ephixio grinned, “About time you found something useful!” He laughed, intentionally bumping into Issen. Issen blushed and averted his gaze from the others. The raid party behind him congratulated their party and his individual success. Issen thanked them all in turn, speaking on behalf of the party. With that, they all followed him into the light through the doorway that had appeared after Auroch’s demise.

Issen breathed in the fresh air of a pleasant morning breeze. They had been in the dungeon all night. He smiled, throwing his arms around Ephixio, who had joined him at the top of the stairs. Alistar raised his eyebrow, watching the two of them. After a moment, he shrugged and looked at the town in front of them. Once the entire raid party had reached the second floor, he addressed them one last time. “You see? This is not impossible! We are strong enough to beat this game, and now we have proof!” The group cheered in approval. “We can return to Ash Town and bring hope to the people. Hope for the strength to keep going on! Hope that this death game is conquerable!. Hope for a brighter tomorrow! Hope for freedom!” Alistar shouted out to the crowd who roared their agreement! Issen smiled, leaning against Ephixio. I couldn’t think of a better group for the job.

After the rest of the parties had left, Alistar turned once more to his own. “Guys, you were all amazing. There was no way we could have pulled this off without anything less than what you guys were able to do.” The party thanked him, but it was Issen who said what was on all their minds. “None of this would have been possible without you to lead us, Alistar.” He bowed in thanks, but cut to a different subject. “I have a proposal, if you are interested.” Without pausing to hear if they were or not, he continued. “On the fifth floor, we gain the ability to make Clans. I want you all in mine.” The group shared astonished expressions. Alistar turned to Issen, “And I want you to be the leader.” Issen’s eyes went even wider, “Why would you possibly want me?” Alistar grinned, “You showed me in our battle back there that you’re more than capable for the job.” Ephixio, Ayame, and even Seraffia nodded their heads in agreement. “Alright then, if we accept,” Issen began, “What will we be called?” Alistar smiled, “Well, I was thinking…”

The Enforcers

<<Floor 10: Grell>> The remaining 9,000 or so players had been trapped in this death game for four months now. The top players had been working to clear the dungeons. This included Issen, Ephixio, and the rest of their new Clan, Oriex Enforcers. The Clan had been an immediate success. After all, who wouldn’t want to be a part of the strongest Clan in KBO? Issen strapped his sword to his back as he watched the familiar scene that follows a defeated monster. He jumped with surprise as he felt Ephixio’s strong arms wrap around his waist, pulling him in for a hug. “Do you have to do that every time I manage to kill something?” Issen asked, attempting to hide the fact that he was blushing immensely. He turned to see Ephixio’s smiling face. “Of course not,” Ephixio replied, “But I want to.” “Hey love birds, there’s still more!” Alistar called, blocking an attack from the treant in front of him. The creature, which looked like a large tree possessed by some sort of demon, drew back it’s fist for another attack. Before the attack could even gain momentum, Artemis howled and a rush of dark energy slammed into the treant from the side. A few floors back they discovered that they had the ability to add elemental attributes to their attacks, depending on their weapon. Inarius, who was fighting a separate treant a few feet away sidestepped an attack, spinning to land a solid kick in the treant’s face as he did. An arrow immediately pierced the side of the creature’s rotting flesh. Issen turned his attention to the two remaining treants left from the surprise encounter. One held it’s palm outwards, aiming at Ephixio. A flurry of razor sharp needles burst forward, flying through the air faster than Issen’s eyes could follow. Luckily, Ephixio’s shield was raised and only a few managed to graze him. Roaring, Ephixio charged forward as an emerald green flame engulfed his sword. He swung, slicing right through the creature and igniting both halves. Without pausing, Ephixio deflected the attack of the last remaining treant then retaliated with a massive vertical slash. A large red gash appeared and the treant hissed in annoyance. It slammed both fists into the ground, causing spikes to rise from the earth in a line aiming at Issen. Issen grinned, stabbing his sword into the ground as well. A slab of ice materialized in front of him, stopping the stones in their tracks. “All yours, Ephixio.” Issen called out from behind the protective barrier. “Gotcha!” Ephixio called, before sweeping the treant’s legs out from under him and stabbing his sword through. <<LEVEL UP:35>> The notification appeared in front of Ephixio for everyone to see. “Congratulations!” The entire group shouted as a whole. “I’d say it’s about time to return to base.” Alistar suggested. Issen nodded in agreement and the group pulled out their teleport crystals. In unison, the group shouted, “Teleport! Hale!” A blue light enveloped the entire party and within seconds they had disappeared.

<<FLOOR 22: Ilos>> Issen stepped through the blue light around him, waiting for the rest of the party to appear. Once they had joined, he led the way towards their home base in the town of Hale. It was a decently big sized town, home to the other top Clan: Ebonvale. The home of the Enforcers resided on the west side of town while the home of the Ebonvale Clan was kept at the east. Most of each Clan’s members kept to their own, save for when a floor boss was discovered and cooperation was required. Issen stopped in front of the Enforcers’ base, taking in the view once more. A large banner hung above the entrance, depicting two crossed swords, surrounded by fire: the Clan’s insignia. The Clan building itself was massive. It held enough rooms to house the entire Clan, along with a meeting room for the leaders, two recreation rooms, a dining hall, and a leisure area. Along with that, NPC maids roamed the halls, serving the players as they needed. The group had been down on floor 10, gathering resources for the Clan’s reserves. “Greetings, Clan Master Issen!” Kotaru, one of the Clan’s first members greeted Issen with a salute as he walked through the door. “Hellos Kotaru, good to see you.” Issen replied, moving past him to the couch where he normally sat. Ephixio sat down next to him, and both changed into their non-combat apparel. Issen wore a plain white v-neck, with his usual pair of white shorts. Ephixio donned a black t-shirt with green lines dashing from his right shoulder to his left hip and the same black shorts he always wore. Alistar and the rest changed into more comfortable clothes as well, before taking their own seats. Issen sighed, resting his head on Ephixio’s shoulder. “Having a Clan is harder work than I expected.” Ephixio laughed, “But you’re a natural leader, and one hell of a player!” Issen turned to stare into Ephixio’s blue-green eyes. “Whatever you say.” He sat up and leaned in, giving Ephixio a quick kiss on the cheek. Issen smiled, thinking to himself, What a crazy thing. Trapped in a game where death here means death in real life, and I find this amazing person. He still hadn’t entirely gotten used to the idea of seeing himself with another guy. Then again, Ephixio wasn’t just any other guy. Issen sighed once more, returning his head to it’s previous resting place. “What’s left to do for today?” He asked, looking over at Alistar, his second-in-command. “That was all we had on the agenda. We completed it a lot faster than expected.” Alistar replied. Seraffia leaned back in her chair, “Does this mean we have to go train now?” She asked, closing her eyes. Alistar turned a questioning look towards Issen who shook his head. “We’ve done enough training this week, you guys deserve a break.” Ayame jumped up with excitement. “This means we can go out!” Issen nodded, “You guys have the day to yourselves. Enjoy it.” At that, he pulled up his menu and sent a message out to the rest of the clan, notifying the players of their temporary break.

Proving Grounds

<<Floor 19: Vanna>> “Hurry up, Seraffia!” Ayame called, waiting impatiently at their destination. She had decided that the two of them needed a little ‘girl time’ which was not something Seraffia was particularly fond of. Why did I agree to this? Seraffia wondered to herself, before hurrying to catch up. Ayame was already inside the house by the time Seraffia reached it’s entrance. “What are we here for, anyways?” Seraffia asked, rolling her eyes in annoyance. Artemis found the nearest corner and laid down, resting his head between his paws. Ayame was talking to the NPC and hadn’t heard Seraffia’s question. After finishing the conversation, an accept/decline option appeared in front of Ayame, which she quickly accepted. “We’re going on a quest!” She shouted excitedly. Seraffia rolled her eyes again, “A quest?” Ayame nodded. “That’s right! It shouldn’t be anything too difficult.” The two had already changed into their combat apparel before leaving the Clan, since that was one of Issen’s rules. “Let’s go!” Ayame grabbed Seraffia by the wrist before heading off towards the appropriate dungeon.

<<Floor 19: Field of Sorrow>> “Alright, we’re here,” Seraffia gazed upon the grassy field in front of her, “What’s this quest about, anyways?” Ayame smiled, “We’re searching for something that couple lost!” Without giving any more information, she left Seraffia’s side, heading down the path. Seraffia quickly caught up to her, grabbing her shoulder. “What kind of item?” She asked. Ayame calmly removed Seraffia’s hand from her shoulder. “You’ll know when you see it, trust me.” Ayame continued down the path, obviously not willing to give any information. After a few minutes of walking in silence, Seraffia was the first to speak up. “Hey, Ayame,” She began, “Why did you bring me with you on this quest, anyway?” Ayame replied without hesitating, “I just wanted a chance for us to hang out without being around those brutes!” She flashed a smile at Seraffia. “Oh, right.” Seraffia responded rather dumbly. She frowned, obviously in thought, then opened her mouth once more. “If I’m stuck here with you, I might as well get to know a little more about you.” Ayame nodded from in front of her. “That was the pl-.” Suddenly, a large bird with maroon feathers that had green tips, flew out from the base of the mountain in front of them. It let out a blood curdling screech before diving at the two females. “I’ve never seen a flying mob that large!” Seraffia gasped in surprise. Ayame didn’t say a word, but simply let a single arrow fly. The arrow hit it’s mark, stabbing into the bird’s breast. The bird cawed in pain. It flapped it’s wings, causing a powerful wind to knock Seraffia and Ayame to the ground. Within seconds, it was on top of Seraffia, clawing a massive gash into her shoulder. Artemis snarled, jumping on top of the bird and biting at the back of it’s neck. Moments later, the bird shattered into blue crystals. “Are you okay?” Ayame knelt down next to Seraffia, offering her a potion. Seraffia pushed the potion away, leaning up on her elbow. “I’ll be fine, it was just one hit after all.” Suddenly, a flock of seven more birds emerged from the mountains, all the same size as the previous. “Shit!” Seraffia leapt to her feet, ignoring the gash in her shoulder. “Ayame, you try and keep as many of them in the air as you can, Artemis and I will handle the rest!” With that, Seraffia charged forward, throwing a few daggers into the air. Two hit their mark, right in the chest. One bird shattered, the others screeched in fury and dived at Seraffia. Four arrows sailed through the air, scaring a few birds away, and Artemis howled as a shadow like aura surrounded him. Seraffia held her daggers in front of her, deflecting the attack of one bird, but missing the other, earning her a large scratch down her back. “Seraffia! Get out of there!” Ayame shouted. “Don’t worry about me!” Seraffia argued. Her eyes glinted with excitement. This was just what she loved to do. She jumped into the air, spinning as she did. Her weapons glowed with a silver light and they tore through the bird in front of her, leaving shards of data behind. Ayame took her chance, piercing another bird through with an arrow imbued with fire. Seraffia laughed, “We can handle this, Ayame! We’re two of the strongest female players in the game!” Ayame smiled, encouraged by Seraffia’s confidence. Artemis snarled, launching a ball of energy at one of the birds. The bird dodged, chirping with annoyance. It dived at Artemis, but was intercepted by another of Ayame’s arrows. Seizing the opportunity, Artemis jumped onto the nearby bird, exerting a massive shadowy pressure that engulfed the bird and caused it to shatter. Just three more remained. Sensing their inevitable defeat, the birds retreated to their home in the mountains. Seraffia got to her feet, dusting herself off. “What was all that about?” She asked. Ayame shrugged, “I guess they were trying to scare us of?”

<<Floor 19: Frost Mountain Encampment>> “We’ve come pretty far,” Seraffia noted, pausing at the break in the dungeon, “We must be close to the end.” Ayame nodded, before sitting down with her legs crossed. Her pretty brown eyes drifted to rest on Seraffia’s tough frame. “Hey Seraffia,” She began, “I know it’s not polite to ask about the real world in here, but how are you so strong?” Seraffia chuckled, “I figured that’d come up.” She sat down as well. “You see, when I was younger, I had no parents. I was an orphan, left to die on the streets.” Seraffia stated so matter-of-factly that Ayame gasped. “Oh, I’m so sorry.” She put her head down. “I didn’t mean to bring up anything so personal.” Seraffia shrugged, “I really don’t mind. It’s not like being upset about it will make it go away. Besides, it’s made me stronger now. I learned to fight, to fend for myself.” Ayame listened intently as Seraffia continued her story. “By the age of eight I had a full time job working for a local gang. Eventually, though, I bought my way out of that. I got a real job, and a good one at that, even though it’s more than likely gone by now. I found myself solace in the realm of MMORPGs, since they were the one place where I could be someone else. Someone who had a normal past, and a brighter future.” Ayame nodded, most people played MMORPGs to find something they didn’t have in the real world. “Look where I am now!” Seraffia stood up, holding her hands out in front of her, as if some grand treasure lay between her palms. “I’ve managed to find myself a family, and some amazing friends!” She smiled, holding her hand out to Ayame. Reaching up, Ayame accepted her hand, before being hoisted up by Seraffia. “it’s about time we got moving, isn’t it? We need to get back before nightfall.” Seraffia said, before returning to the dungeon’s path. “Yeah, you’re right.” Ayame agreed, before following behind Seraffia.

<<Floor 19: Frost Mountain Peak>> A fierce blizzard tore at Seraffia’s and Ayame’s cloaks as they stepped into the opening, leaving the cave behind them. “There!” Ayame spotted a small figure, huddling at the far end of the mountain’s top. “We came here to rescue a child?!” Seraffia asked in surprise. “That’s what the quest said.” Ayame replied, shielding her face from the harsh wind as she started towards the figure. Suddenly a blood-curdling screech resounded from above them. A massive hippogryph appeared before them. <<Roch>> The title appeared over the creature and four bars of health filled up just below it. “Of course there’s a boss.” Seraffia sighed, drawing her daggers from their sheaths. Ayame’s bow was already in her hand, and she fired two arrows towards the creature. With one flap, a powerful gust of wind knocked the arrows out of the air. Seraffia growled and launched herself at the avian hybrid. “I don’t plan on dying here!” The same silver light glowed within her daggers as she slashed the creature’s legs. Two large, red gashes appeared across it’s legs and Roch cawed in pain. It reared up on it’s two legs, flapping it’s huge wings to send forth another gust of wind. Seraffia was blown backwards, slamming into Ayame, and tumbling across the ground. Seraffia and Ayame stumbled to their feet. Ayame’s brown eyes glowed with determination. “We’re not going to die here!” She notched another arrow, which burst into flame. Shouting, she loosed it at the massive bird, following through with two more arrows. Each hit their mark, piercing through it’s right wing. Seraffia grinned, “That’s more like it! We’ll see how well he can use that wing now!” Three bars of health remained. Artemis howled, launching a ball of shadowy energy at Roch. The ball connected, erupting into a massive explosion of shadow energy. Roch crashed to the ground, screeching once more. It’s red eyes glinted with rage. It stood on it’s hind legs once more, taking off into the air. “You can’t run away forever!” Seraffia shouted, hurling one dagger after the other. Roch responded in kind, flapping it’s wings to send crescent shaped blades of wind at the small party. After a few rounds of this, it landed once more, returning to it’s original attack pattern. “Now’s our chance!” Seraffia shouted, “We have to take out it’s wings before it can move to it’s second attack stage!” Ayame nodded, loosing a barrage of arrows at Roch. The creature stumbled as most of them found their mark, leaving it’s right wing to hang limply at it’s side. Two bars left! Seraffia dashed forward, lunging at the creature’s feet. Before she could attack, the creature jumped towards her, pinning her to the ground with it’s powerful legs. Artemis roared in anger, seeing his companion in danger. He charged Roch, shadows flaring with each step he took. Roch howled in annoyance as the large wolf slammed into it’s side, leaving a shadowy mark on it’s left wing. The shadowy aura slowly enveloped the wing, causing it to deteriorate. Seraffia leapt to her feet, following through with a flurry of lightning fast slashes. Ayame continued to fire one flaming arrow after another, chipping away at the monsters health. One bar remained. Seraffia panted, wiping the sweat from her brow. She retreated next to Ayame, waiting to see if the monster’s attack pattern would change. Sure enough, the creature screeched and several of the maroon colored birds from before flew up from below. Undeterred, Seraffia charged forward once more, piercing two birds through the chest with thrown daggers. Artemis took two more out with his signature shadow attack. “Ayame,” Seraffia shouted, “Take care of the rest of them!” Ayame nodded, as three arrows already soared through the air. “You can count on me! Just finish that thing off!” Seraffia grinned, that was exactly what she had planned. With a cry, she leapt at the creature, lodging both her daggers into it’s side. Using them as leverage, she clambered onto it’s back. Before the creature could buck her off, she let loose another flurry of deadly slashes, using her power over light to accent her attacks. Artemis joined in the onslaught, clawing at the creature’s legs and side. A few seconds later, Roch exploded into data, and Seraffia fell through the empty air beneath, landing in the soft snow. <<CONGRATULATIONS>> “We did it!!” Seraffia smiled, standing up. Both players had received a level up notification as well, leaving them each at level 34. “Of course we did, we’re two of the strongest female players in the game, remember?” Ayame smiled, standing next to Seraffia. “Now, let’s get this quest over with already!!

The Lords of the Forsaken

<<Floor 22: Ilos>> Issen strolled through the large, empty corridor within the Enforcers Clan Base. He had received an urgent message from one of their Clan’s information brokers. <<Meet me at the usual spot. It’s important. ~T>> He burst through the door to the Clan Master’s room, startling Ephixio. “What’s going on?” Ephixio asked, rubbing his eyes. Issen smiled, “We gotta get up, something urgent.” Even though his heart was racing and his mind was clouded with worry, he still couldn’t help but smile at the man before him. “Sure, whatever you say,” Ephixio replied, stumbling out of bed and equipping his armor. “I’ll go wake up Seraffia and Ayame, you go get Alistar and Inarius.” Issen said, before turning to head towards the east wing of the base. Ephixio nodded, heading in the opposite direction. Issen was at the entrance to the girls’ rooms where Artemis waited, wagging his tail as he saw Issen approaching. “Artemis, go get the girls!” Issen commanded. Artemis barked quietly in response then disappeared through the door behind him. Moments later, Seraffia and Ayame appeared, already geared up. “What’s going on?” They asked in unison. Issen shook his head, “I’m not sure yet. Just follow me.” He sped back the way he had come, heading towards the entrance hall. Ephixio was already waiting there, with Inarius at his side. “Where’s Alistar?” Issen asked. Ephixio shrugged, “He wasn’t in his room.” Issen didn’t pause, but continued out the door with the rest of the party behind him. “We’ll just have to worry about him later.” He held his teleport crystal into the air before shouting, “Teleport: Nox!” A blue light swallowed him up, leaving nothing behind. The rest of the party followed suit, getting devoured by blue lights of their own.

<<Floor 31: Nox>> Issen stood beneath the large fir tree that marked their meeting place, tapping his foot impatiently. Seraffia leaned against the tree, petting Artemis’ soft black fur. Ayame stood nearby, lost in thought. Ephixio took his place beside Issen, reaching down to grab his hand. Their fingers intertwined and Issen leaned against Ephixio. “I’m worried about Alistar,” He admitted, sighing loudly. Ephixio smiled, “I think Alistar is the person you need to worry about the least. If anyone can handle themselves, it’s him.” Suddenly, a small figure draped in a black cloak came into view. “Terra is here.” Ephixio pointed to the figure who was quickly approaching them. Issen stood up straight, staring at Terra as she finally reached the group. The girl, standing at about 4’6” wasn’t much to look at it. She removed the hood of her cloak, revealing hazel eyes and shoulder length black hair. Her skin was naturally tanned, and nearly flawless. Her stern gaze didn’t waver as she began to speak. “I’ve got intel on the Lords of the Forsaken.” Issen frowned, “I expected as much. What’s going on?” He asked. His heart began to beat a little faster. “They’ve been moving suspiciously. I haven‘t seen their old leader, Gitarex, in a few weeks. I don’t know if he’s gone into hiding, or if he’s been replaced.” Terra replied, pulling her cloak tighter around her. Issen’s face showed obvious concern. It was Ephixio who spoke next, “What exactly do you mean by suspicious movement?” He asked. Terra shrugged slightly, “They’ve been going out later and longer than normal, and, like I already said, Gitarex is now out of the picture for some reason. They’ve also taken to calling themselves the Lords of the Wraiths of Ending now, so I’d assume there’s someone else in charge.” Issen’s eyes narrowed with suspicion. Why does that name sound so familiar to me? He wondered to himself. Though it was unknown to the majority of players, there were actually three Clans in the running for the strongest. Oriex Enforcers, the one which he lead with Alistar and the others, Ebonvale, and now the Wraiths of Ending. However, the Wraiths of Ending were unlike most other Clans in the respect that they didn’t help to clear the front lines. They were a Clan full of murderers. Red players that took advantage of other players and PK’d them. “Very well,” Issen said, “Keep an eye on then and let me know if you find anything else out.”

<<Floor 22: Ilos>> Issen collapsed onto the massive bed that awaited him within the Clan Master’s room at the Enforcers base. Ephixio plopped down next to him, looking into his eyes. “What are we gonna do, Issen?” Issen turned to Ephixio, staring into his beautiful blue-green eyes. “We’re going to keep doing whatever we can to get as many players out of this world as possible. If that means we have to intervene with any plans that the Wraiths of Ending put into motion, so be it.” A look of determination flashed across his face as he talked about clearing the game. Ephixio smiled, “You always did put the safety of others first.” Issen nodded, smiling as well. “We’ve earned our strength in order to protect those who can’t protect themselves. Both him and Ephixio were now lvl 73, and among the top players in the game. The rest of their main party was at least lvl 70, with Ayame being the lowest. “This death game has been going on for eleven months now. eleven months too long.” Issen continued, clenching his fist in anger. “We’ve cleared the first forty nine floors. We’re nearly half way there.” Ephixio added, snaking his fingers into Issen’s fist and lacing them through. “I know you’ll be the one to save us all, Issen. Nobody could do it but you.” He continued, causing Issen to smile. Issen turned towards Ephixio, kissing him softly on the lips. “You give me a reason to be strong.”

“Ephixio,” Issen began, “What happens after this game?” Ephixio’s eyes fluttered open. “What do you mean?” He asked. Issen sighed, resting his head on Ephixio’s chest. “What’s going to happen to me and you, and everyone else after this?” Ephixio looked up at the ceiling, considering his response. “Well, in regard to everyone else, I doubt they’ll be able to return to life as it was before. Not immediately anyway.” Issen looked up, locking eyes with Ephixio. “Think about it. A few hours after the game went online, everyone’s avatars went offline for a little while. No doubt they moved everyone to some sort of hospital in order to keep them alive. Who knows how long they plan to keep us there before losing hope?” He asked, holding Issen’s gaze. “I don’t know,” Issen admitted, “But we can’t afford to let that discourage us.” Ephixio nodded, “You’re right about that.” He wrapped Issen in a hug, kissing his forehead. “As long as I’ve got you with me, I don’t think that’ll be an issue. Still, that definitely gives us a deadline to clearing the game, as if it weren’t challenging enough.” Issen poked Ephixio playfully in the side, causing him to squirm. “You still haven’t answered my question.” Ephixio laughed, “I don’t really know. They’ll probably lump all of the younger players together in some sort of school or something, since we’re all behind by nearly a year now. Most people will likely take months to recover physically.” Issen nodded, “Yeah, that’s gonna suck.” Ephixio wrapped his arm around Issen’s waist, holding him tight. “As for me and you… I don’t wanna leave your side. Being trapped in this world was horrifying, until I met you. You gave me hope that there was something worth fighting for. You showed me that just because we’re trapped here, doesn’t mean we can’t live our lives just as fully as in the real world. Sometimes, I feel like I’ve lived my whole life here, and when I picture spending a whole life time with you, I feel like the luckiest guy in the world.” Issen blushed, grinning stupidly. Ephixio continued, “I don’t wanna lose you, in this or any other world.” Issen’s grin widened into a genuine smile. “I feel the same way, Ephixio. I wouldn’t want it to be any other way.” He leaned on his elbow, running his hand through Ephixio’s dirty blonde hair. Their eyes locked, and Issen’s heart began to beat a little faster, just like it always did when Ephixio looked at him. Ephixio leaned forward, pressing his lips against Issen’s. The two held there for a moment, before Issen pulled away and blushed even more. “For now, let’s focus on what we have to do.” Ephixio said calmly, pulling Issen down next to him and turning to wrap his arm around his waist. “Our first priority should be finding out what happened to Alistar. Issen nodded, “First thing in the morning.” He laid his head on Ephixio’s arm, closing his weary eyes. After a few minutes, he was fast asleep. Ephixio stared at the mess of silver-gray hair lying in front of him. “I want to be with you forever, Issen.” He mumbled, before closing his eyes as well.

The Trial of Three

<<Floor 22: Ilos>> The next day, Issen and the rest of the party set out to search for Alistar. According to their friend list, he hadn’t moved from his position inside a dungeon on the 50th floor. Issen, Ephixio, Seraffia, Ayame, and Inarius sat in the meeting room with Kotaru and Illyria, two of the Clan’s senior members. “This will be an effort that includes the entire Clan.” Kotaru and Illyria nodded. “Both of you will be leading parties of your own, along with Ravage, Milos, Venn, and Callos.” The other four party leaders were currently out gathering supplies for the extended expedition. “Now, it’s time to get down to business.” Issen leaned forward, resting his elbows on the large round table in front of them. “According to this,” Issen rotated his friend list so everyone in the room could see, “Alistar is located in the Magma Caverns, in some sort of secret room. It’s likely that it’s a safe zone, but also a zone that nullifies teleport crystals.” Inarius sighed, “Isn’t Magma Caverns the strongest dungeon discovered yet?” Seraffia nodded, “According to our scouts, it’s one of the most difficult dungeons to clear because you have to pass through two equally difficult dungeons just to reach it’s entrance.” “Most players believe the floor boss will be located there as well,” Ayame chimed in, “Should we ask Ebonvale for assistance?” Issen shook his head, “This is an Enforcers problem. We can solve it on our own.” He stood up, pacing around the table. “Our first step will be conquering Volt Plains, in order to make our way to the Glacial Palace. Both dungeons will have several mob types with strong elemental affinities, as will Magma Cavern. We’ll have specialists concentrating on handling mobs and defending while the rest of us take out the boss.” Issen paused in his pacing to look at Ephixio. “When we reach the bosses, you’ll be in charge of the defensive teams, since your tetra shield gives you protection from the four main elements.” Ephixio smiled, “You can count on me, hun.” Issen smiled at the nickname before continuing, “We don’t know what kind of enemies will be waiting for us, so we’ll be concentrating on defense until we figure out their attack patterns. Once we’ve determined that, we’ll switch and begin our offensive. As usual, we’ll be the group focusing on the boss. I have full confidence that we’ll be successful in this endeavor. After all, we are the Oriex Enforcers! We’re the best of the best and this is where we’ll prove it.” He thrust his fist into the air and the rest of the room cheered in response.

<<Floor 50: Volt Plains>> Issen stood before the entrance of the dungeon, which was an invisible barrier that activated the dungeon itself once you passed through. “Alright guys, we have a map to the boss room for each party. Each party leader will be holding one, so you need not worry. We’re going to be moving through the dungeon separately, but we’re going to take down the boss together. Remember, keep your eyes sharp and your sword sharper.” With that, he waved his hand and dismissed the raid party. “Come on, guys, we’ll be going right down the middle.” Ephixio and the others nodded before matching the brisk pace Issen had set. After a short amount of time, they encountered a pride of lions. The lions were much larger than normal, with golden yellow fur and dagger sized fangs. Issen’s party made short work of the standard mob group, even being short one player. The group forged onward, battling more difficult foes as they neared the boss room. Finally, they reached a small clearing. “We’ll rest here for a moment.” Issen said, sitting down to lean against a large rock. The rest of the group took a seat as well. Inarius sat down next to him, causing Ephixio to grumble slightly. “Issen, I know you’re worried about Alistar, but are you sure we can handle this?” He asked, which was a rare thing indeed. Issen turned to study Inarius, which he hadn’t often done. The man was tall, well over six feet. He had a strong build, which accounted for his skill with the katana. He was more than likely some sort of athlete outside of the game. “I believe we can.” Issen finally responded. “We’ve got some of the strongest players in the game on our side, and our Clan has the highest stats over all. If anyone is going to clear the 50th floor dungeon, it’ll be us.” Inarius frowned, “We still don’t know anything about the bosses in the first two dungeons, just how to get there. Nobody’s even been in the third dungeon since the first two are so hard to clear. I can’t handle letting any of our friends die here.” Issen’s eyes went wide. This was a side of Inarius he had never seen before. Inarius was usually calm, cool, and collected. He treated others with indifference and was never afraid to dive into the heat of battle. Perhaps it’s different this time because he knows we’re up against something we’ve never encountered before. Something far stronger than anything we’ve fought yet. Issen put his hand on Inarius’ shoulder, “You don’t need to worry, Inarius. I’ll do everything I can to keep our Clan members alive.” Ephixio playfully tapped Issen’s head. “We should be going now. I’m sure the other groups have caught up to us at this point.” He grabbed Issen’s forearm, pulling him to his feet. “You’re right about that, let’s head out.”

Ayame picked up her normally leisurely pace so that she could match Issen’s faster one. “Hey Issen, I wanted to talk to you about something.” Issen turned to look at her, “What’s up?” He asked, slowing down a bit to make it easier for Ayame. She rubbed her head slightly, “I think I know why he’s so worried about people from our Clan dying in this dungeon.” Her brown eyes glanced over at Inarius. Issen frowned, “Well I think all of us are worried, as we should be.” Ayame nodded, “Of course, but it’s a little different for him,” She turned back to make sure there was enough distance between the two of them and the other three party members, “I actually sort of knew Inarius before we ever partied up with Alistar.” She looked down at the ground, tapping her hand against her leg nervously. “I’ve never met him in real life, but we were both friends with Thalos. Thalos brought us together in a party back on the first floor. He was one of those rare people that had a natural magnetism. Just like you. The kind of magnetism that could reassure people and convince them everything was going to be alright.” Issen smiled at the compliment. “Inarius was different back then. He smiled, he laughed, he joked along with the rest of us. Unfortunately, nothing perfect lasts forever.” Ayame continued, clenching her hand into a fist. “We were working through the forest back on the first floor, when Inarius got overwhelmed by a mob. At the last second, Thalos jumped to his aid, giving up his own life in the process.” Issen’s icy-blue eyes narrowed into slits. “That’s absolutely horrible!” Ayame glared at him, warning that he was getting too loud. She continued, “That’s not even the worst part… The rest of the group blamed Inarius for the death of Thalos, then banished him from the party and told him he was better off dead.” Issen put his hand to his face, covering his eyes so Ayame wouldn’t see the anger there. “Some friends,” He hissed, “No wonder he’s so concerned about the Clan. He probably blames himself just like the rest of your party did.” Ayame nodded. “That’s when he changed. He stopped caring about others as much. He shut everyone else out entirely, even me. He was only concerned with protecting himself.” A single tear slipped down her cheek. “It was horrible. I couldn’t stand to see him like that, which is why I pushed so hard for him to become a part of this party and Clan. When Alistar told us about his friend Issen, I knew you would have what it takes to bring the old Inarius back.” Issen’s mouth dropped. “I’m nobody special.” His gaze lowered to the ground and he brought his hand to his chest. “I’m just trying to get by, like everybody else.” Ayame shoved him playfully, “You’re wrong about that and you know it. The fact that Inarius is concerned about the rest of the Clan shows that you’ve helped him start to change already. We’ve all heard Ephixio talk about how you saved him back in that same forest nearly a year ago. Even Seraffia, who said she’s never had a family before has claimed the Enforcers as her home. You’ve done amazing things for these people,” Ayame paused, stopping to look him straight in the eyes, “And I know you’ll continue to do great things.” Issen smiled, then turned to look at the rest of the party who had caught up with him. “C’mon guys. The boss room is just ahead.” The party picked up their pace, reaching the entrance shortly.

The large clearing lit up with bright flashes of color as the Oriex Enforcers took on the boss, known as <<The Harbinger>> and it’s associated mobs. The boss was a large stag, with snow white fur that had blue streaks running along the length of it’s hide. Arcs of electricity dance along it’s antlers and flared with each stomp of it’s hooves. The boss roared and it’s body became coated in electricity as it charged towards Issen. Ephixio calmly stood between the two, raising his shield and preparing himself for the attack. The Harbinger slammed into Ephixio’s shield at full force, causing electricity to spark in every direction, damaging both players and his own minions. Ephixio slid a few feet away, barely keeping his shield in his hand. “This thing is tough!” He noted, panting slightly. The fight had been going on for about half an hour now, and the Enforcers were growing weary. Issen stood towards the back, shouting commands like usual. “Don’t worry, we’re nearly there!” He called out. “Only one bar of health remains! Now, rally to me!” He raised his sword into the air before charging towards the stag. Bladeshifter, the sword he’d been using since the first floor glowed white as it charged up a powerful attack. With one swing, ice coated the ground around the boss, including it’s legs. The boss roared in annoyance, sending out electric pulses. The pulses slammed into the raid party, knocking some of the lighter members to the ground. A few of the Clan’s lower leveled members screamed in horror as their health depleted to zero and they shattered into blue crystals. Issen’s blue eyes darkened in fury. “NO!” The word echoed around the clearing, leaving a pained feeling in the air. He dashed forward, twirling his sword in his hand before bringing it down on the monster’s skull. The Harbinger dropped to one knee, . “Now’s our chance, everyone! Finish him off!” The Clan roared as one, enraged by the death of their Clan members. A rainbow of colors filled the air as gashes began to coat the creature’s body. After a minute of attacking all out, the creature shattered.

Issen fell to his knees, catching himself with his hands. “I’m so sorry.” He slammed his fist into the ground repeatedly. “I wasn’t strong enough.” Nobody said a word as the usual <<CONGRATULATIONS>> message appeared in front of them. Beneath it appeared a large blue portal, which presumably led to the second dungeon. Ephixio squatted next to Issen, putting a finger under his chin and forcing him to look up. “Issen, it’s not your fault. We all came here knowing we could die. We all agreed to follow you just the same.” Issen flinched away. “No, I promised I’d take care of everyone.” He whispered between sobs. This was clearly the first time Issen had seen anyone’s life taken in battle. Inarius moved to stand next to Ephixio, leaning down as well. “Issen,” He began, “It’s alright.” Issen looked up in disbelief. “But Inarius… Those people died because of me.” He hung his head in shame, switching to a seated positon. “You’re wrong.” Inarius held up a finger authoritatively. “Those people died fighting for their own freedom. Those people came here knowing full well that they could lose their lives. Still, they fought on regardless. It's our turn to do the same. If you give up here, their deaths will have been for nothing.” Inarius continued, “I know it’s hard to realize now, believe me. I’ve been through this, so I really do understand. It took me a long time to realize that no matter what I did, nothing could have changed. You helped me realize that, and made me realize that I needed to get stronger so I could help others and not just myself. I’m asking you to do the same now. Don’t make the same mistake I did and wallow in self pity.” Issen nodded, wiping the tears out of his eyes. “You’re right… I couldn’t have done anything, this time…” A look of determination flashed across his face, “I’ll just have to train harder so I can be even stronger next time.” He stood up, leaning against Ephixio for support. “Alright everyone, let’s get through that portal and see what’s waiting on the other side.” The rest of the Clan nodded, filing through the portal obediently.

<<Floor 50: Glacial Palace Entrance>> The Glacial Palace stood before them at the end of a snow-laden path. The Palace was made entirely of ice like crystals that jutted from the ground in random directions. Near the Palace itself, tree like structures stabbed through the snow, reaching towards the heavens. It towered over them, casting a massive shadow over the freezing party. Issen rubbed his hands together, stepping in front of the Clan once more. “Alright everyone, we’re going to be changing things up just a bit this time. You six parties will merge into three dual-parties while we make our way through this dungeon.” The large group nodded in understanding. “Kotaru, you’ll be with Milos, Illyria with Venn, and Ravage with Callos.” The parties shuffled to their assigned sections. “We’ll be camping here for the night. Kotaru’s party will be in charge of gathering firewood, Illyria’s will provide food, and Ravage’s will set up camp.” Issen held his hand up, with the palm facing outward. “Let’s hurry up and get this done so we can rest. I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a long day.” The parties hurried off to their assigned tasks, leaving Issen’s party alone to discuss the day ahead of them. Ephixio and Ayame combined their powers over fire to get a temporary camp fire started. The group huddled around it, holding their hands in front of them to draw in the warmth. Seraffia sighed, her warm breath leaving behind a small cloud that quickly dissipated into the air. “I hate the cold!” Ayame huffed, pulling her knees as close as possible to her chest. “What are we gonna do about this dungeon?” She asked, looking at Issen. “We’re going to approach it the same as we did the last dungeon. I combined the group into dual-parties since the mobs will more than likely be slightly more difficult.” Issen replied, gripping Ephixio’s hand in his own and huddling next to him for warmth. “I’m less worried about our party than the others.” Inarius nodded, “We’re able to handle ourselves better than the rest.” The party continued to discuss the plans before breaking into small talk to pass the time until the rest of the Clan returned. About an hour later, the camp site was fully constructed. The entire Clan gathered around the massive bon fire, trading stories of feats in battle and narrow escapes. Seraffia and Ayame enthralled the Clan with the retelling of their conquest over Frost Mountain. Kotaru recounted the time that the Clan fought through Aeon Forest on the 34th floor and fought the Goblin King with the help of Ebonvale. The Clan talked into the night, enjoying food and good company before retiring to their tents.

Issen parried the heavy blow, allowing the ice blade to crash to the ground next to him. The boss, a Frost Giant titled <<Chron>> howled in anger, releasing a furious wind that floored the raid party before him. Ayame managed to avoid the piercing wind, loosing three arrows at the boss. As they hurtled towards the target, the arrows burst into flame. Upon impact, the fire exploded, knocking Chron flat on his back. The rest of the Clan took the opportunity to recover. They re-established their ranks, letting the tanks and shield users take the front lines, with the ice type specialists shortly behind them. Issen and Ephixio took the lead for their group, charging at the boss. Ephixio’s sword flashed with the same emerald green fire as always, and Issen’s Bladeshifter glowed white. Both players unleashed their sword skills at the same time, causing two large red gashes to appear across the giant’s chest. Three health bars still remained. Chron snarled, sweeping his massive blade across the field. Issen backflipped as the blade approached, leaping safely over it. Ephixio managed to deflect the majority of damage with his shield. Inarius joined the two of them, “This guy’s tough. Are you sure we can manage Issen?” Issen nodded. “That last attack was the same one it opened with, we know it’s pattern now. We can avoid the majority of damage until it switches it’s tactics when we drop it’s health low enough. Until that happens, we’ll switch to a more offensive approach so we can take him out as quickly as possible.” Inarius nodded, calling out Issen’s orders to the rest of the Clan. The group adjusted, preparing themselves for the next attack. The boss charged forward, ramming into the wall of the small room. The ground rumbled and massive icicles began falling from the ceiling. Issen rolled out of the way as one crashed to the ground near him, sending shards into Issen’s left leg. “Shit!” He shouted, clutching his leg. Ephixio caught Issen as his leg gave out from beneath him. “Here take this,” Ephixio took an advanced health potion from his inventory. Issen accepted it, gulping down the disgusting red liquid. Issen stood on his own once more, “Thanks Ephixio.” He wiped his mouth, clearing it of the foul taste. The boss stood before the two of them, holding his blade behind his head in preparation of it’s slam attack. “Not this time! Ice users, with me!” Issen, Kotaru, and about seven other members charged forward, readying their attacks. A flash of white followed by blades of ice slashed across Chron. The force of the powerful elemental attacks caused the bosses entire body to freeze. “Now’s our chance to deal some damage, everyone attack!” The Clan charged forward, each weapon glowing as they prepared an attack. Before anyone could land it, the boss began to shake and the ice coating his body shattered. He roared in annoyance, slamming his sword into the ground. Ice spikes lunged from the ground in all directions, damaging the host of players. Most only suffered scratches, though a few suffered more debilitating wounds. Issen howled in anger. He twirled his sword, unleashing a flurry of small ice spikes at Chron. Artemis’ body became coated in shadows, which he launched at the Frost Giant. Inarius dashed towards the vulnerable boss who was still recovering from his attack, and chained together a combination of slashes too fast for the eye to follow. “Look out!” Seraffia shouted, calling back Artemis. The boss had recovered and was inhaling a large amount of air, preparing to unleash his ice breath. “Tanks and shield users, take the front!” Issen commanded, taking his place behind Ephixio. The boss exhaled, releasing a blizzard like torrent of wind that tore at the combatants. Issen shielded his eyes from the harsh wind. “Everyone get ready to avoid his sweep attack!” He shouted, preparing to leap into the air once more. The boss launched the next attack in his pattern, sweeping his massive blade across the small field. Issen did a front flip, landing on the blade itself. He charged forward, brandishing his sword in a wide arc and slicing Chron’s neck. The Frost Giant fell to his knees, clutching at his neck. His sword fell to the ground beside him. They had managed to drop him down to only a bar and a half of health. Furious, Chron slammed his fists into the ground, causing the ice to cling to him like skin. Where his hands were now sat two deadly looking blades. He charged forward, leaping at Issen. Issen nimbly avoided the attack, side stepping both blades with ease. He parried one furious blow after the next, with Ephixio by his side blocking the attacks Issen couldn’t. “We’ll focus on taking care of it’s swords, everyone else press the attack from behind!” Seraffia roared, charging forward with her dual daggers. They glowed a brilliant silver light as she carved the pattern of war into Chron’s back. Numb to the pain, Chron continued his attack on the pair of players in front of him. Issen spun out of the way of the next attack, flipping upward to slam his heel into the creature’s skull. Ephixio followed through, slamming the edge of his shield into the creature’s stomach. Chron gasped as the air was forcefully knocked out of him. Two flaming arrows pierced the creature’s arms, causing them to hang limply by his side. Artemis appeared between Ephixio and Issen, with Inarius behind him. The two lunged forward, unleashing a deadly combo of shadow based attacks. Issen rolled forward then flipped into the air, his sword glowing the same deadly white. In seconds, he had maneuvered himself on top of Chron’s massive shoulder, stabbing his sword through Chron’s heart. Chron doubled over, grasping at his chest as ice slowly creeped across his entire body. Moments later, the now frozen statue crumbled before shattering like the beasts of this world did. <<CONGRATULATIONS>> The same usual notification appeared to all the players, while a smaller one hovered in front of Issen. <<Cloak of the Frost King>> Issen accepted the reward, opening his menu to equip it. A long, flowing white cloak appeared over him. The Cloak came down to his knees, covered in a crystal like white lining, with cyan blue trim lacing up and down the sides. The trim itself was reminiscent of a snow storm on a cold winter night. The rest of his armor had changed as well. His shoulder pads grew small spikes of ice that jutted towards the sky, curving slightly. His gloves gained a white fur that wrapped around his wrists, and the gloves themselves now reached to the middle of his forearms. His sword changed as well. It had the same crystalline handle, but the blades had gained a much more deadly appearance. The only accurate way to describe it was the essence of a blizzard captured in the form a blade that arced outwards, grasping towards any prey in reach. The Clan had made it through this fight without any casualties. Ephixio and the rest of the party surrounded him, congratulating his success. Issen shook his head, “This was a success for all of us. For all your hard work. We’ve come further into this dungeon than anyone else. Congratulations Enforcers, we’re officially the best.” The small speech earned a cheer from the Clan. “However, our task isn’t done yet. Now we’re going to take it one step further and conquer the next dungeon so that we’ll officially be halfway done with this death game!”

Magma Caverns

Issen stepped through the portal into the dungeon before him. The first thing he noticed was the overwhelming heat. It was suffocating. Lava pits dotted the barren landscape leading to the dungeon’s entrance. The entrance itself was a gaping hole carved into the side of a volcano. The rest of the Clan emerged behind him, reacting much the same as he had. The group reequipped into lighter, heat resistant armor before setting up the tents just as they had the night before.

Ayame sprawled across the floor of the tent, letting out an impressive sigh, “I’m so tired!” She complained. Inarius was already lying down and attempting to fall asleep. He lifted his head slightly to look at her, “Then go to bed.” Ayame rolled over, looking into Inarius’ light grey eyes. “I don’t want to sleep yet! My body is physically tired, but my mind is racing. I’m kind of worried about tomorrow. It’s a dungeon nobody has gone into yet.” Inarius rolled his eyes, “Why can’t you just believe in Issen and trust him to make the best decisions?” Ayame laughed, rolling onto her back to stare at the ceiling of the tent. “Of course I trust Issen! And Ephixio, Seraffia, and you. I mean, I was right when I knew Issen could help you. I have faith that he’ll be here for the rest of us too, just like he’s being there for Alistar right now.” Inarius’ eyebrows furrowed slightly, “Help me? You planned that when dragging me here with you? That was your reason?” Ayame turned away from Inarius’ stern gaze. “I couldn’t stand to see you in the shape you were in. It was horrible.” Inarius chuckled slightly, “But why would you care? I’m just a nobody. Someone that you met once and got stuck in a party with. Somebody who’s too weak to protect his friends. Somebody worthless. Why would you care about me?” Ayame’s eyes went wide, displaying shock across her face. “What are you talking about? Before the accident, which was never your fault, you were somebody worth knowing. You were kind to others, and joyful, and fun. Seeing you like that, how could anyone not care?” Ayame turned to look at Inarius once more, studying his slim but built physique. “Call me a fool if you wish, but I couldn’t leave you like you were. If you’re so insistent that you’re not worth it, why did you let me convince you to join Issen’s Clan, or let me come along at all?” Inarius’ normally pale complexion darkened as he blushed slightly. “Ayame, you are the single most beautiful girl I have ever laid eyes on,” He replied, staring down at his hands. Ayame brought her hand to her mouth, covering the gasp that followed. What kind of nonsense is he talking about? She wondered, hoping he had been joking. There’s no way that someone like him could like something as plain as me. Inarius grabbed Ayame’s hand, wrapping it with his own. “I’m not joking, and I’m not crazy.” He stated, as if reading her thoughts. “The reason I got stronger is so that I could be myself again, yes. More importantly, though, I wanted to protect you. To make sure you never ended up like the others.” Ayame smiled like a fool as a tear rolled down her cheek. “Inarius, that’s the most incredible thing I’ve ever heard.” She was crying without reserve now, as one tear followed the next. Inarius panicked, grabbing her shoulders. “Don’t cry, Ayame! What did I say? I’m sorry!” Ayame laughed, filling the air with a musical like beauty. “I’m crying because I’m happy, silly! I’ve liked you since the first time I met you. I’ve held on to that thought this entire time.” Inarius’ blush darkened about three shades and he stumbled over what to say next. “B-but… How c-could you…? It’s my fault you were kicked out of our other party, how could you not hold that against me?” Ayame smiled once more, “That’s where you’re wrong. It was my choice. They invited me to come with them but I declined.” Inarius’ eyes widened. “How could you turn down such an offer on my behalf?” “It’s pretty simple,” Ayame laughed once more, rolling over so that she was face to face with Inarius. “I knew there would be something better in store with you.” She leaned in, pressing her forehead against Inarius’. “I never stopped believing in you.” Inarius pulled away, kissing Ayame on the forehead. “I’ll make sure you never have to.” He rolled over, leaving Ayame to stare at his back. “We’ve got a lot to do tomorrow, we should get some sleep.” Ayame rolled over as well, “You’re right. We have to get Alistar back tomorrow, so we need to be ready for whatever comes at us.” The two quickly fell asleep, with smiles fresh on their faces.

The Enforcers stepped through the dungeon’s entrance, beginning their dive into Magma Caverns. “We’ll follow this dungeon the same as we did the last.” Issen said before breaking away from the rest of the Clan. “We have no intel on this dungeon, or any idea of where the boss is, so keep your guard up. Let everyone know as soon as you’ve discovered the location of the boss room.” The Clan split up into the same four parties they had the day before then set off in separate directions. “We’re heading straight down the middle, once again.” Issen turned away from his party, setting off at a calm pace. Before they had even passed through two rooms they were ambushed by a group of goblins with dark black skin and red glowing armor. “Great. We get to deal with these guys now.” Issen rolled his eyes in annoyance, drawing out his new and improved Bladeshifter. The glowing double-sided blades of the sword gave off a chilling aura, reflecting the light of the flames around them. Before the rest of the party could react, Issen was already on top of the mob party, cleaving two of the goblins in half. “I almost feel bad for them,” Seraffia whispered to Ayame before dashing after Issen. Her dual daggers glowed with a silver light as she danced across the field, leaping from one enemy to the next in a relentless combination of lightning fast attacks. Artemis trailed close behind, clawing any enemy that got too close. “I guess we can’t leave those two to do all the work.” Ayame sighed as the Goblin mobs rallied behind a slightly larger one. Seraffia panted, “These guys are tougher than anything we’ve fought yet.” Issen didn’t stop to reply as he brought Bladeshifter down on another unlucky foe. Ephixio leapt into the fray, brandishing his sword and shield. Inarius dived after him, his katana spelling death for any enemy he set his sights on. He parried an attack, but was caught off guard as another Goblin followed through with a second attack. “They’re more intelligent too.” Inarius gasped as he stumbled backwards. A large red cut now ran the length of his torso. Three arrows slammed into the chest of the assaulting Goblin, causing it to stumble backwards as well. Artemis launched a ball of shadowy energy, finishing the creature off. Issen ignored the various cuts that covered his body, relying on his high regeneration skill to keep going in battle. His new cloak also offered protection from flame based damage. “We can still kill them, just like any other mob.” He growled, lopping off the head of an unfortunate mob nearby. The largest Goblin, which was obviously the leader, leapt at Issen. Issen parried the following attack, jumping backwards to keep the distance between the two of them. He raised his sword, and it began to glow like usual. Ice erupted from the edge of the sword, piercing through the creature’s chest and lifting it into the air. Moments later, it shattered, and an empty silence filled the hollow. “We can do this. This dungeon is no less beatable than the rest.” Issen strapped Bladeshifter to his back once more and continued through the dungeon, not looking to see if the others were behind him. Ephixio pulled the others in, whispering so Issen couldn’t hear. “Guys, Issen is obviously a lot more concerned about Alistar than we thought. They knew each other in real life, after all, so it makes sense. Still, he’s worrying me. He’s acting a lot more reckless than normal.” The rest of the party nodded. “Don’t worry, Ephixio. With all of us here, we’ll be fine.” Ayame patted Ephixio’s shoulder. “Now, let’s hurry and catch up to him before he leaves us behind.”

“We’re almost there!” Issen cut down another Flame Elemental, which shattered into crystals, causing the remaining elementals to go into a frenzy. They doubled in size and the flames surrounding them grew much more volatile, flaring in every direction. “Great… We killed their friends so now they’re mad.” Issen groaned, holding Bladeshifter to the side. One of the Elementals hurled a fire ball at Issen, which Ephixio easily deflected. “Are they seriously toying with us?” Inarius asked, preparing an attack. His sword glowed a shadowy purple before he sliced it in an arc through the air. A massive crescent wave, constructed of dark purple energy hurled itself at the Elementals. The massive creatures dodged the attack nimbly, leaping to the cavern walls and ceiling with amazing dexterity. “Clearly these guys got a lot more than just a power boost.” Ephixio held his shield up, preparing for the next attack. “We can’t lose here!” Issen shouted, charging forward. “Alistar is just beyond this room! Which means the boss is probably close as well!” His sword glowed a soft blue light as he swung it at the nearest Elemental. The creature constructed a sword of it’s own, made of pure flames, and deflected the attack. Issen pressed on, his sword glowing brighter as his attacks gained in speed and strength. He shouted with effort, chaining together one slash after the next. Spinning and crouching at the same time to sweep kick the Elementals legs from beneath it, then slashing through the creature before it could even hit the ground. The chain of attacks was so powerful and swift that the creature got lifted from the ground by the momentum of the attack. Finally, it shattered in one massive burst of energy as Issen slammed his sword into the ground, creating an explosion of cyan blue energy that damaged every enemy in the vicinity. “These creatures are as killable as the rest.” He said coldly, before turning to the next target. The Elemental took advantage of the temporary pause, lunging towards Issen. The fire blade stabbed straight through his stomach. His health had dropped dangerously low, into the orange range. “Get out of there!” Ephixio shouted, leaving the Elemental he had been fighting to run to Issen’s aid. His shield collided with the Elementals blade just in time. Ephixio pulled his arm pack, punching the fire creature right in the face and sending it sprawling across the ground. Issen collapsed to the ground, clutching at his stomach. “Hurry up and take a potion.” Ephixio ordered, shielding Issen from the onslaught of the Elementals. Issen did as he was told and stood up, holding his double-sided blade in front of him. “Let’s do this!” The two of them dashed forward together, carving perpendicular gashes into the Elemental in front of them. Not stopping to wait for a reaction, the two of them continued their attack, twisting opposite each other to carve two more slashes into it’s sides. Issen leapt into the air doing a front flip as he fell down and carving another body length gash into the massive creature. Ephixio leapt backwards, charging up an attack before dashing forward to deliver the final blow. The Fire Elemental shattered in front of them. Next to them, Inarius and Ayame had just taken down one of their own, while Seraffia and Artemis made short work of the last remaining one. The party sat there for a moment, collecting their breath. “Those guys were monstrous. They could have been mistaken for low leveled bosses.” Seraffia panted, looking through her HUD to observe the other’s hp gauges. Issen and Ephixio still had 3/4ths of their health, not much surprise. The rest of them were lower than half. Seraffia herself was nearly in the red zone. “We’ll rest here, we don’t know what’s waiting for us in the next room.” Issen said, leaning against the wall behind him.

After a short time, the party’s health had restored and the group continued into the next room. Alistar was waiting in a small corridor to the side. He waved at Issen and the others, calling them over. The group passed through the barrier leading into the safe room. “Alistar!” Issen rushed forward, pulling him into a hug. “What on earth happened to you?!” Alistar stared at the ground beneath him. “I was jumped, and forced into service by the Lords of the Forsaken.” Issen’s eyes began to glow and he clenched his fist tightly. “Those bastards.” He looked into Alistar’s eyes. “What happened to make them leave you here?” Issen asked. Alistar laughed, “Those fools made me lead them through the dungeons. They wanted all the credit for clearing it, but they were too weak to take on the boss of this one. They got pushed back and ended up teleporting out. I barely managed to escape from the boss room and hide here. They took my crystals so I had no way to escape myself.” Issen nodded, “That sounds like something they’d do alright. Those cowards.” Alistar held his hand in front of him, “The Enforcers are here now, though. I know we’ll be able to take it down.” Issen grabbed his hand, shaking it firmly. “That’s right. If any can the Oriex Enforcers can!” He opened up his menu, sending Alistar a party invite and trading him some spare health potions. “Let’s move on and hurry up to the boss’ room.” Alistar left the safe zone, pointing to the room just to the left of them. “It’s just beyond that room, after a surprise encounter with a Fire Golem.” Issen moved past Alistar without hesitation, heading for the final room.

Issen stepped through the small barrier into a small cavern with a lava pit at one end. A bridge lay in the middle of it, leading to a door on the other side of the room. Alistar entered behind him. This is the Fire Golem’s room. Be careful, it’s a lot more powerful than most other enemies.” Issen took Bladeshifter from it’s spot on his back. “We’ve made it this far fighting one member short, I think we’ll manage with our second-in-command by our side.” He opened up his menu, sending the coordinates of the boss room to the other three parties. “The rest of the Clan should be here shortly, let’s take care of this guy.” Issen walked to the center of the room, with Ephixio and Alistar on either side of him. One massive hand, the size of a large dog slowly emerged from the lava. Followed by another hand and a rocky face. The Golem, which looked to be crafted from molten lava, finally lugged it’s massive frame onto the platform, roaring to announce it’s arrival. The party remained calm, not flinching from the mighty bellow. The creature roared once more, burping up balls of fire that hurled themselves at Issen’s party. “Move!” Issen commanded, diving towards the left. Artemis reacted a little late, whimpering as the large orb of flame collided with him. “Don’t you dare touch him!” Seraffia shouted, dashing at the Golem. She threw one knife, which stabbed the creature in the eye. Then she followed through, leaping on to the creatures face, ripping the dagger out, and slashing it in an X before backflipping to safety. The Fire Golem covered it’s injured eye while swinging lazily at the agile Female. Ayame fired two explosive arrows, nailing the creature in the chest. It stumbled backwards slightly, growling. The growl turned into a snarl as it slammed it’s fists into the ground, causing fire geysers to spurt from the ground sporadically. Issen responded by stabbing the end of his sword into the ground, coating the ground under the Golem’s feet in ice. The oversized creature slipped, landing on it’s back. It roared angrily, leaping to it’s feet with abnormal ease. It lumbered over to the party, swinging wildly as it went. In it’s blind fury it landed a lucky attack, smashing Ayame into the wall. Her health bar dropped, leaving it in the yellow zone. Issen avoided another blow, slashing at the monsters feet then leapt into the air to carve a large gash across it’s chest. Inarius appeared behind it, running his blade along the length of the Golem’s large torso. “I’d say it’s about time to be done with this,” Alistar said before cartwheeling to the side and leaping onto the creature’s back. With one sweep of his large two-handed sword, the Golem’s head fell to the floor, rolling slightly before coming to a stand still. “Well, that wasn’t so bad.” Ayame stumbled to her feet, holding her sides in pain. She drank a minor health potion, restoring her health in full. “I’m honestly scared to see what kind of boss waits for us.” She shuddered. “I won’t ruin the surprise.” Alistar grinned, crossing his arms in front of his chest. “So what’s next, Issen?” He asked, turning towards the player next to him. “Now we wait for the rest of the Clan. Then, we carve our path to glory.”

The large crimson red doors opened slowly, creaking as they went. Issen and the rest of the Enforcers walked through them, holding their chests out proudly. “This is our battle to fight!” Issen shouted, “This is our foe to conquer! This our dungeon to complete! And this is our game to win!” He continued, whipping the crowd of players behind him into a frenzy. The room before them seemed to be the center of the volcano. High above them Issen could see a black circle, which he assumed was the night sky. Plumes of fire danced around the large hollow, lighting up the room with eerie shadows that creeped along the walls. “So… Where’s the boss?” Ephixio asked, looking around the empty room. As if to answer his question, a piercing screech filled the air. “It’s above us!” Seraffia shouted, pointing towards the mouth of the volcano. A large red bird with fire for wings swooped down, releasing a gust of wind as it landed. <<Faux>> The title hovered over the creature as five bars filled with green health. “We’re fighting a freaking phoenix?” Ayame shouted in disbelief. Alistar nodded, “Impressive, isn’t it?” Ayame shook her head, gripping her ivory colored bow with determination. “It’s going down, just like the rest.” Without warning, the boss took off into the air, causing a circle of fire to pulse outward. “Shield users, take the front!” Issen and the rest of the guild hid behind the row of protected users. “Archers, take your mark! Fire!” A volley of arrows flew into the air, lighting the sky like fireworks as the individual skills activated for each player. Ayame’s exploded into the side of the Phoenix, knocking her out of the sky. “Melee users, advance!” The Clan moved forward as a unit, wary for any surprise attacks. As expected, the creature reacted before they reached her. Faux reared on her hind legs, releasing a torrent of flames from between her jaws. The attack soared past the melee users, headed right for the now defenseless archers. Issen sprinted towards the group of un-protected players. Before the fire could reach them, he slammed his sword into the ground, raising a wall if ice that disintegrated as soon as the flame touched it. Nevertheless, it served it’s purpose, leaving the rangers nearly unscathed. He turned back towards the Phoenix, just in time to see a large fiery wing slam into him, sending him flying. A heavy thud resounded in his head as he collided with the wall. Faux soared around the battlefield, just above the ground. She used her wings to barrage the players with fierce gusts of wind and even fiercer flames. “Come on! This bitch is annoying!” Ephixio complained, defending against another attack. Issen took a quick view of the players in the arena. Most still had green health, though a few were dropping into the yellow. Faux still had four bars of health left. “This is going to be one long fight.” He sighed, preparing himself for another attack. The Phoenix landed on the ground, then dashed forward, folding both it’s wings in protectively. “What the hell is it doing now?” Ephixio asked, leaping backwards to stand next to Issen. “I’m not sure. Shield users, at the ready!” After a moment, Faux’s health began to regenerate. “Shit! Everyone, after it!” Issen dashed forward, launching ice spikes at the Phoenix. The spikes melted mid-flight, stopped by an aura of fire. The players stopped in their tracks, not willing to test how sturdy the shield was. “So it can regenerate health and has a presumably impenetrable shield while doing so?” Ephixio asked, stating the obvious. Issen ignored the question, launching even more ice spikes. “Inarius, Ayame, with me!” Inarius charged his sword with shadowy purple energy before launching a crescent shaped blade at the boss. Three flaming arrows followed close behind. To finish the combo, Issen slashed at the air, spinning twice to continue the maneuver. Three massive ice discs hurtled toward the aura, slicing through it to smash into the beast’s wings. Faux took no damage, but was blown backward, leaving her vulnerable as Inarius and Ayame’s attacks slammed into her. “We can counter it, and we can defeat it!” Issen shouted, rallying the rest of the Clan to him. They charged forward together, dodging as the creature launched a swarm of fireballs through the air. A few of them landed on target, knocking the unlucky players to the floor. One player erupted into crystals, disappearing into the air. “No!” Issen gripped his sword tightly, slashing in front of him to launch another flurry of spikes. Faux flapped her massive wings, knocking the spikes out of the air. Before she could launch a counterattack, the Clan was on her, casting one skill after the other. Faux cawed in annoyance, launching attacks in every direction. Their frenzied assault slowly lost momentum as her attacks became sharper and more accurate and their strength began to wane. “Everyone, fall back and regroup!” The Clan halted their offensive, leaping backward to put distance between them and the massive opponent. Everyone used what remaining healing items they had. Issen took another look around the battlefield. Most the players were in green health, with a few barely in the yellow. Faux’s two and a half bars of health hovered next to her, taunting the Enforcerss. “We’re halfway done, soldiers. Don’t give up now!” Issen shouted, dashing towards the Phoenix. As if to mock him, Faux folded her wings in, preparing to regenerate. “Don’t give it the chance to recover!” The players with ranged abilities launched them at the shielded avian. Most the attacks disintegrated upon contact with Faux’s shield, a few managed to get through but did little to no damage. “Wait a minute, something’s different.” Issen paused mid-attack. Faux’s health hadn’t gone up at all. She flared her wings out, sending out a massive pulse that collided with the unsuspecting players. Some managed to dodge the attack, though the majority of them took it with full force. Issen leapt over the attack, charging towards the fire bird. His sword glowed the same light blue as it had previously and he began the special attack. One slash landed after the other, leaving the Phoenix’s body riddled with cuts and scratches. “Come on! Faster!” He shouted, willing himself to move with every fiber of his being. Slowly, his attacks gained in momentum, chipping away more of the bosses health with each successful blow. Screeching in anger, the phoenix counter attacked, slashing away at Issen. One and a half bars remained. “I’m not done yet! His sword danced through his hands, spinning unimaginably fast as both ends of the sword landed one attack after the next. Finally, Issen leapt into the air, spinning and kicking Faux in the face with a three hit combo before spiraling down and slamming his blade into the ground, completing the combo with a massive explosion of cyan-blue energy. Faux cawed in pain, collapsing to the ground. The BladeHearts cheered behind their leader, who backed away warily. “It’s not done just yet.” Issen panted, leaning on his knees in exhaustion. Faux’s body burst into shadowy purple flames as it stood up once more, screeching in anger. The previously normal colored phoenix had taken on a sinister dark color scheme. The purple flames replaced the normal red ones, and a dark aura now surrounded the creature. Are you kidding me?! Issen shouted to himself. Now it has three elemental affinities! Confirming his theory, Faux launched a giant beam of dark energy at the host of players. “Ephixio! Don’t let that reach it’s target!” Issen shouted, leaping out of the way of the attack. Ephixio nodded, sprinting to intercept the massive laser, grunting with effort as it slammed into his shield. Luckily, his armor did it’s job and protected him from any serious injuries. Faux took off into the air, following it’s previous pattern with the extra bonus of shadow attacks. Scores of players were sent sprawling across the field as spheres of purple fire and dark energy collided with them. Issen and his party dashed forward, dodging the onslaught of attacks. Luckily, though the attacks had changed, the pattern remained the same and Faux landed in the same spot. Already waiting for him there, Issen, Inarius, Ephixio, and Alistar attacked. The massive bird chirped in surprise as the players hacked away at her legs and wings. The rest of the Clan saw their opportunity and jumped in, unleashing a furious barrage of attacks. Finally, Inarius leapt onto the creature’s back, impaling his katana into the back of Faux’s neck. With an anguished cry, Faux collapsed to the ground once more before shattering. <<CONGRATULATIONS>> The standard message appeared for all the players to see. A smaller message appeared in front of Inarius <<Cape of the Fallen>> He quickly accepted the powerful item and equipped it. A flowing black cape that appeared to be made of black feathers appeared on his back. “We did it, guys! We beat the 50th floor!” Issen fell to his knees, dropping Bladeshifter next to him. His health bar had dropped dangerously low in his attack on the massive creature. Ephixio ran to him, crouching down beside him. “What the hell were you thinking?!” He asked, anger and concern coating his voice. “I-I’m sorry…” Issen mumbled, “I couldn’t let anyone else die.” Ephixio’s stern gaze softened, and he lifted Issen’s head so that they were staring eye to eye. “You idiot. What do you think would have happened to everyone else if you had died?” Issen chuckled softly, “Obviously I wasn’t thinking that far ahead.” Ephixio shook his head, smiling. “Of course not, you never do.” The rest of the Oriex Enforcers cheered, raising their weapons into the air. Issen raised himself up, steadying himself on Ephixio’s shoulder. “Come on, everyone. Let’s get out of here.” he waved his hand, commanding the party forward after everyone had healed themselves. “Let’s go tell everyone else the good news.” Before any member could move, a figure cloaked in black appeared before the guild. A menacingly dark voice seethed through the cloak. “Not so fast…”

Frost Lord Issen

“Who the hell are you?!” Issen demanded, taking a step back from the imposing figure before them. The player didn’t respond, but laughed rather insanely. Seconds later, the entire Enforcers Clan was surrounded by similarly dressed characters. Issen’s eyes widened. “You guys are the Wraiths of Ending, aren’t you?!” He shouted, raising his sword. “Oh goodie, you figured it out!” The frontrunner laughed once more. “We’re here to kill you, Frost Lord Issen. You think you’re so special? With your double edged sword and your shiny cloak. And you, Ephixio the Emerald Dragon with your impenetrable defense and shiny green flames.” The figure pointed an accusing finger at each player in turn. “Ayame the Red Rose. Twilight Queen Seraffia and her loyal mutt Artemis. Inarius the Fallen. Alistar of the Fell Blade.” He spat each name and title out with disgust. “You filthy people don’t deserve such gaudy titles. The frontrunners of KBO and the most powerful Clan in the game?! Absolute bullshit!” The figure dashed forward, slamming his sword into Issen’s. “You’re nothing special. You didn’t even notice an entire Clan following you!” His eyes were frenzied and insane, leaving Issen unnerved. He deflected the attack away, launching a counter. “We earned those titles! We earned our gear! And we earned the right to call ourselves the strongest Clan in the game!” The player leapt backwards, avoiding a vicious slash. “We’re here to show you that all those titles are without meaning, as are your lives!” He pressed the attack once more, fire enveloping his blade. Issen parried one blow after the next, waiting for a slip in his opponent’s technique. There! He spotted his opening, launching a massive ice spike at the attacker. The attack landed, piercing through the players shoulder. “You’re not as weak as you look!” The player’s maniacal laugh filled the air. “It’s time everyone! Let’s wipe the Enforcers from the face of Aegis and show them who’s really the strongest Clan!!” The rest of the hooded figures roared, dashing forward.

Issen parried another vicious blow, spinning to kick the unnamed figure square in the chest. He took advantage of the momentary respite to see how everyone else was doing. Inarius was trading blows with two members of the Murder Clan, barely managing to hold his own. Ayame was on the outskirts of the battlefield, launching one arrow after the other as a few players from the Wraiths of Ending chased after her. Alistar, who was nearby, had just cut down one of the enemy players and ran to help Inarius. Ephixio was right behind Issen, easily warding off the attacks of three furious Wraith Clan members. Seraffia and Artemis held to their usual routine, not sticking to any one opponent, but moving lithely across the field damaging each opponent that came into reach. Issen came to attention as another player launched an attack. He fended them off easily, ramming his shoulder into the player to send them flying. Issen sprinted over to Ephixio’s side, helping him incapacitate the three players in front of him. “We need to get everyone through those doors and onto the next floor!” He shouted to be heard over the sounds of battle. Ephixio nodded, blocking another attack. He began to slowly maneuver towards the other players within Enforcers, passing on Issen’s message. Issen found his way to Seraffia, Ayame, Inarius, and Alistar, relaying the same orders. He watched as his generals slowly rallied the entire Clan to them, pushing through the Forsaken Clan members as a unit. “C’mon everyone! They may have more numbers, but they’re nowhere near strong enough to compete on our level!” The rest of the Clan roared in agreement, fighting even harder under the command of Issen. Alistar brought up the rear of the advance group, fighting off one opponent after the other and suffering minor injuries as the weak players barely managed to harm him if they hit him at all. Issen flourished his sword, sending an arc of ice blades through the air. Most of them managed to collide with enemy players, forcing them back. “Now’s our chance!” He shouted. The entire Clan responded, pushing through the red players and sprinting to safety. Issen’s core party remained at the rear, holding off as many players as possible. Once the rest of the Clan had broken through, Issen turned to follow behind them, before the enemy Clan managed to mount a counter attack. “Let’s go everyone! We need to get out of here!” The rest of the party nodded, hurrying through the doors. “Alistar, come on!” Issen shouted, before stepping through the door himself. Alistar turned to follow, sprinting towards the door. Issen looked behind him, expecting to see Alistar’s face. What he saw instead shook him to his core. One of the Wraiths of Ending had managed to slow him with an ice attack. Alistar freed his frozen legs, but it was too late. The portal was one way, and was already beginning to shut. “Alistar, no!!!” Issen shouted, slamming his fist into the barrier. “ALISTAR!!!!” Ephixio wrapped Issen in a bear hug, yanking him away from the barrier. The last thing Issen saw before the doors closed was a collection of blue crystals scattering through the air.

<<Floor 22: Ilos>> Issen slumped onto the bed that awaited him within the Clan Master’s chambers. He laid there, not moving but for the rise and fall of his chest. Alistar… Not Alistar! He thought to himself. My best friend in the entire world, the one I’ve known for as long as I can remember. How can I have let this happen?! He covered his face in shame as he felt hot tears streaming down his cheeks. A sob escaped between his lips as he rolled over, clutching one of the many pillows. A knock at the door distracted him from his torment. “Issen?” Ephixio’s voice drifted through the room. “Can I come in?” Issen’s reply was barely audible through the thick wooden door. “Sure.” He rolled over, burying his face into the pillow. “What are you doing?” Ephixio asked, sitting on the bed beside him. Issen simply shook his head, weeping into the pillow. “Issen, I don’t know what to say other than I’m sorry… And that I’m here for you if you want to talk.” Issen pushed himself into an upright position. “What’s there to talk about?” He asked, holding his arms out wide for emphasis. He continued, through sobs and tears, “He was my best friend in the entire world. Now he’s gone and I was powerless to stop it. Do you know what it’s like to see your best friend murdered right before your eyes?” Ephixio shook his head, staring hard at the elegantly designed blankets. “We were on the same soccer team as kids! We went to the same schools since we were little! We lived in the same neighborhood!” Issen’s voice grew louder with each statement until he reached the point where he was yelling. “Can you imagine what his family’s going through right now?! They just lost their son to a group of murdering fanatics inside a video game!!” He slammed his fist against the wall, causing the entire room to shake. “And it’s all my fault! For not being strong enough, or careful, or smart enough! They’ll know it was my fault too! They’d know that we would stick together in a situation like this! They’ll know that it was my fault he died!” Issen fell backwards once more, sobbing uncontrollably. His thoughts drifted to Alistar’s family. Who’s gonna show little Quade how to ride a bike, or throw a football?! He thought of Alistar’s younger brother in real life. Who’s going to explain that he’ll never know his big brother because of some cheap thrill? Who’s going to tell him that his brother’s death was at the whim of some lunatics? His thoughts drifted to the first time he had met Alistar, or Xander, as he was known in the real world.

Jason tentatively walked through the doors of Bright Wing Academy. “But mom, I’m scared.” He whimpered, clinging to her side. “Don’t worry, hun. Your first day of kindergarten is something to celebrate! By the end of the day, I know you’ll come home smiling!” Jason looked up, staring into his mother’s beautiful blue eyes. “You promise?” She nodded, patting him on the head. “I promise, ok sweetie? Now hurry up or you’re going to be late for your first class.” Jason waved goodbye before running off in the direction of his first class. He found the room quickly, taking the last seat available. A boy with short, brown hair sat next to him. “Hi, I’m Jason!” He waved to the small boy next to him. The boy looked over, blinking to reveal light purple eyes. “My name is Xander!” He smiled, waving back at Jason.

Jason was ten years old now, sprinting down the side of the field with the soccer ball between his feet. “Pass it!!” He heard the voice of Xander calling from across the field. One of the opposing team’s players slid towards Jason, aiming for the ball. Jason did a 360, moving the ball to his side and out of the other players reach as he did. Seconds later the ball was soaring through the air, a perfect kick! Xander dived, hitting the ball squarely with his forehead. It nailed the back of the net, just out of reach of the Goalie’s hand. Score! The loud sound of a buzzer announced the end of the game. Jason sprinted over to Xander, tackling him in a hug. The rest of their team followed suit, piling up on the two boys like a small mountain. “That’s it! The team from Bright Wing Academy has won the game! Naming them the champions of this tournament!” The announcer shouted energetically. The crowd cheered, leaving Jason in awe at the incredible volume. What would it be like to hear this every day?! He wondered.

Ninth grade, Jason was fourteen now. His silver-grey hair was as messy as ever as he strolled down the sidewalk, headed towards the busses that waited for him at the school. This was the year that him and everyone else in his class got transferred over the Bright Wing Academy’s High School division. Students stayed on campus there and only got to go home for vacation. Jason clambered on to the bus, spotting Xander quickly. He stored his belongings in the compartment above them, then plopped down in the seat next to Xander. “Are you ready for our first year of high school?” Xander asked, looking at Jason. “Of course I am!” Jason smiled. Suddenly, Xander grabbed Jason’s shoulders, shaking him. “Issen!” He shouted, looking at him concerned. “Issen! Issen come on!”

Issen’s eyes fluttered open to view Ephixio’s stunning blue-green eyes. Ephixio smiled, relief appearing across his face. “You fell asleep, but you started shaking. I got really worried so I woke you up, I’m sorry.” Issen rubbed the sleep out of his eyes, mumbling, “It’s alright. I’m feeling a little better now.” Ephixio pulled him into a hug. “I know there are no words I could say to make up for your loss, but I promise you as long as I’m here I’ll do everything in my power to make sure you never hurt again.” Ephixio pulled away, kissing Issen passionately. Issen kissed back, running his hand through Ephixio’s blonde hair. The two separated, staring into each other’s eyes. “Ephixio… I… I want to leave the Clan.” Ephixio’s eyes widened with surprise. “What do you mean?!” He asked. Issen shook his head. “I don’t know. I’m scared. I think of how bad it hurt to lose Alistar, and then I think about losing you. The pain of the thought alone is unbearable. I don’t know if I’d be able to move on if I lost you. Being in this Clan is dangerous for us, and I’ve seen more than enough death to last me for a good while.” Ephixio frowned, “But what about the Wraiths of Ending? Do you really think they’ll stop coming after us if we leave the Enforcers?” Issen’s gaze dropped. “I don’t know much of anything anymore, except that I want to be with you. If any of those sick bastards come after us, it will be the end of their life.” His jaw was set in place as he looked up at Ephixio. “Being here is even more dangerous. For all we know there could be spies within our own halls. They can track us down and follow us easily if they know where we live, but if we disappear they’d have no idea.” Ephixio nodded, “That’s true, but what about the rest of the Clan. You have a responsibility to be there for them.” Issen rolled his eyes. “Please just stop arguing, okay? I know they need us here, but right now I need to be somewhere else. Even if it’s only temporary, please come with me?” Ephixio folded his arms and his brow furrowed in concentration. After a few minutes, he sighed, “Fine, but only if you can convince Ayame and the others to go along with this crazy plan of yours.”

Issen burst through the doors into the meeting room. Inarius, Ayame, and Seraffia were already waiting there for him. “What are you guys doing here?” He asked, surprised to see them. “Issen, we know you better than anybody else in this game. If you want to leave, then so be it. You’ll be back after all.” Seraffia winked, “It’s not like you could stay away from us for long.” Issen blushed. She was right, this Clan had become as much his home as Bright Wing Academy. “I’ll definitely be back!” He gave her a thumbs up, “I just need to figure some things out first, and I don’t think I’d manage to come back alive without this guys’ help!” Issen wrapped Ephixio in a hug. “Don’t worry, Issen.” Inarius stood up, pushing his chair behind him. “The three of us will co-command the Enforcers until you get back. You won’t be missing a thing.” Issen nodded, “You guys are the only ones for the job! Be careful of the Wraiths of Ending though. We know they’re targeting us now, and we have no idea how far they’re willing to go to accomplish their goals.” Seraffia’s face changed from lighthearted laughter to deathly serious in two seconds flat. “We won’t let them hurt anyone else in the Clan, Issen. We’re going to require guards to accompany all officers, and everybody will have to report their whereabouts before, during, and after an excursion.” “Sounds like you guys already had it all figured out!” Issen laughed. The trio nodded, “Do what you need to do. We’ll be waiting for you once you get back.” Seraffia finished, ushering the pair of players out the door. “Thank you guys, for everything!” Issen shouted, waving behind him as he left the building. Ephixio looked over at Issen, shielding his eyes from the sun’s bright glare. “So… Where to?”

Home Sweet Home

<<Floor 38: Bren>> Issen pulled Ephixio along behind him. “Hurry up, we’re almost there!” The two had been walking through a beautiful mountain trail, decorated with exotic fauna and flora. At the end of the trail was a large staircase, carved into the side of the mountain. The staircase led down to a beach with glistening white sand. “It’s absolutely incredible.” Ephixio gasped, staring at the ocean. Crystal clear waves gently lapped against the shore, with the occasional wave crashing in the distance. Seagulls could be heard cawing in the distance. Ephixio dashed forward, not waiting for Issen’s encouragement. “C’mon slowpoke!” He called backwards, opening his menu as he ran. Moments later he was in a pair of black swimming trunks, with green flames twisting up the sides. Issen thought back to their discussion of where to go, just the day before. I can’t believe he’s never seen the ocean. He laughed to himself. “I’m coming, I’m coming!” Issen shouted, sprinting after Ephixio. He repeated Ephixio, opening his menu as he ran. A pair of white swimming trunks with light blue lines dashing across in a zigzag pattern. Several other players dotted the long shore line, some swimming, some bathing in the sunlight, and some even building things out of the sand. Ephixio stomped into the water, splashing it all around. “This is incredible!” He shouted, smiling that same smile that had first ensnared Issen’s heart. Issen followed suit, running into Ephixio as he went. The two crashed into the shallow water, laughing. Ephixio paused to catch his breath, staring into Issen’s icy blue eyes. His eyes turned solemn. “Issen…” Ephixio began, faltering for a moment. “Don’t worry, Ephixio. I know you’re worried about the Clan.” Issen interrupted. Ephixio’s cheeks turned red with embarrassment. “You always know just what I’m thinking, don’t you?” He asked. Issen nodded, smiling sweetly. “C’mon! Let’s go in a little deeper.” Issen stood up, letting the water fall from his trunks. Without bothering to see if Ephixio was behind him or not, he began to wade into the water. “H-Hey! Wait up!” Ephixio called, rushing after Issen. He caught up to him quickly, wrapping their hands together. Ephixio gripped Issen’s hand tight, pulling him to a stop. Issen turned to look at Ephixio. “Is everything okay?” Ephixio hesitated, staring through the clear blue water to the sand below. “Issen… I… I wasn’t just worried about the Clan.” He stopped, pulling Issen into a hug. “I never want to lose you.” Issen’s eyes went wide with shock. He rested his hand on the back of Ephixio’s head, running his hands through his blonde hair and pulling him in close with the opposite arm. “You never have to worry about that, Ephixio.” Issen pulled away for a moment, staring into Ephixio’s eyes. He was surprised to see a steady stream of tears pouring down Ephixio’s cheeks. “After what happened to Alistar, I realized that even we aren’t invincible. Sure, we’re stronger than most other players, but we can die just as easily!” Ephixio continued, letting his head fall against Issen’s chest as warm tears continued to stream down his face. Issen wrapped his arms around Ephixio, pulling him into a tight hug. “Ephixio, stop.” Issen’s choked on the lump in his throat. “Please don’t cry.” He put his finger under Ephixio’s chin, lifting his face up so the two were eye to eye once more. Gingerly, he wiped away Ephixio’s tears before kissing him softly. The numerous other players paid little attention to the elite players in their midst. “As long as I have you here with me, I promise I’ll never lose. I’ll always have a reason to keep fighting on. I promise I’ll protect you, and the Enforcers, and myself!” Issen declared, pulling away from Ephixio for a moment. “I promise I will get as many people as I can through this death game. I’ll do everything I can to clear this game and set everyone free.” Ephixio brushed away the tears that were trailing down his cheek. His blue-green eyes glistened from the fresh tears. “And then what?” The franticness had left his voice and was replaced by a more solemn tone. “What happens after we leave this game? If we ever do?” Issen smiled, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. “Ephixio, didn’t we already agree on this?” His icy blue eyes twinkled with mischief. “I have a question for you.” Confusion danced across Ephixio’s face. “Yes?” Issen linked both of Ephixio’s hands with his own. “Do you trust me when I say I’ll protect everyone?” Ephixio nodded. “Do you really mean it when you say you want to stay together?” Ephixio leaned forward, kissing Issen again. “You know I do.” Issen smiled, encouraged by Ephixio’s answer. “Then answer me this one last question,” He paused, reaching into his pocket and pulling out something small. “I know it’s only a game, but Ephixio… Will you marry me?” Ephixio’s jaw dropped and his eyes began watering once more. “Of course I will!” Ephixio tackled Issen in a hug, launching the two into the water. Once they surfaced again, Issen wrapped his arms around Ephixio, kissing him softly. After a moment, their lips parted. Issen raised Ephixio’s hand, sliding the small silver ring onto the appropriate finger. “I know it’s just a game, but consider this a promise. A promise that we’ll be together beyond this game. A promise that we’ll find each other in the real world and be together again!” He gently caressed Ephixio’s cheek with his right hand. A gentle breeze flowed through the air, ruffling Issen’s silver-gray hair. That moment was frozen in their minds forever.

Issen and Ephixio walked through the mountain trail, hand in hand. Rays of light pierced through the dense canopy of the mountain’s forest. Songbirds flitted through the sky, filling the air with their soft melodies. “This place is absolutely incredible.” Ephixio exclaimed, gripping Issen’s hand tighter. Issen grinned, “Just wait until you see where we’re going!” Issen’s grin widened to a full blown smile as they reached a bend in the path where the trees became less dense. After a few more minutes of walking, the pair of players reached the edge of the mountain’s cliff, overlooking the beautiful beach below. Ephixio gasped as they exited the clearing, stepping out into the open space of the cliff. He spread his arms wide, taking in the entirety of the amazing view. The trek had taken up most of the evening, leaving the couple to enjoy the last of the sun’s dying rays. The ocean glimmered a beautiful golden orange as the sun’s light lanced across the expanse of water. Day slowly turned to night before their eyes. Issen snuck up behind Ephixio, trapping him in a surprise hug. Ephixio laughed, not bothering to struggle against Issen’s embrace. “Is this what you wanted to show me?” He asked. Issen shook his head, releasing Ephixio. “This view is incredible, but it’s not what we came for.” Issen took Ephixio by the hand, leading him down another path. This path marched alongside the endless array of trees, never swaying from their side. Issen took in a deep breath, savoring the fresh air and liveliness that wafted into his nose. The crisp night air brought with it a chilling cold, driven forth by wave after wave that lapped gently against the shore below. After a few minutes, the two reached their destination. Issen held up his hand, displaying the surprise proudly. At the edge of the mountain’s cliff stood a cozy little wooden cabin. The modest building only had two floors, though it stood tall and proud against the mountain’s cliff. “Wait a minute… Why are we here?” Ephixio asked, turning to look at Issen. Issen’s laughter disturbed the silence of the night. “This… This is our new home, silly.” Issen took Ephixio’s hand once more, walking up to the house’s entrance. A small menu appeared in front of Issen as he approached the door. <<Purchase Player Home? 40,000 Sel>> Issen selected the agree option, watching as the amount was detracted from his funds. A small key hovered in front of Issen before breaking into crystals and placing itself inside his key items menu. Issen held his palm in front of the ornately designed wooden door, causing it to slowly creak open. “C’mon Ephixio. It’s late enough as it is. Don’t you think it’s time we went to bed?” Issen cocked an eyebrow playfully at Ephixio.

The two KBO elites walked through the large wooden frame into the entryway. Polished wood floors led throughout house, and a graceful banister curved upwards towards a second floor. “Well, let’s take a look around!” Issen shouted happily, dashing into the first room. The players quickly found out that the house came pre-furnished, which explained somewhat of the cost. A simple set of black leather furniture, including a couch and two chairs decorated the living room. An elegant lamp hid in the corner, casting an incandescent light across the entire room and beautiful black trim lined the floorboards of each wall. Snow white drapes framed the windows, the lace inner curtains remained drawn, allowing daylight to enter while rendering the heart-stopping view over the beach a blur. The kitchen was fully stocked with every sort of cooking equipment imaginable. Elegant marble counters lined the walls of the kitchen, with a sink and stove at one end. Just beyond the kitchen was humbly decorated dining room. Sporting only a small, intricately designed dinner table, with matching chairs, and a glass door to an outside deck. After exploring the rest of the downstairs, Issen and Ephixio raced upstairs, headed for the master bedroom. They burst through the massive oak doors, taking in the view. A king sized bed took the center of the room, with a simple black comforter laying over it. A simple bookcase decorated one wall, lined with virtual books from head to toe. The opposite wall held a beautiful, high arched window that looked down the mountain trail leading to their house. Various paintings dotted the walls, giving the room a very homey feel and tying it all together.

Issen flopped down onto the bed, letting his arms fall next to him. Ephixio crawled into bed after him, laying his head down on Issen’s chest. “Issen, there’s something I’ve been wondering.” He looked up to stare into Issen’s eyes. “What is it, Ephixio?” Issen asked, leaning forward to kiss Ephixio’s forehead. “What was the real reason you wanted to leave the Enforcers?” Issen frowned. “Well, there was a few things.” Issen admitted, staring at the ceiling above them. “I was worried about the rest of the Clan. With Alistar gone, me and you would be the most likely targets. With us out of the picture, I figured there was less chance of a large scale attack on the guild. Also, I needed a break from the battles. I can’t stand the constant fighting, even though I know it’s necessary to get out of here.” Ephixio nodded, not surprised by the response. “But Issen” Ephixio interjected, “I know you well enough to know that’s not all. Issen chuckled, “I shouldn’t be surprised. There is something else that’s been bothering me…” Issen’s brow furrowed with thought. “It’s about the Wraiths of Ending. I can’t quite place my finger on it, but I know that name, or some sort of alteration of it, from somewhere.” Ephixio’s eyes widened. “You’re sure?” He asked. Issen nodded, still staring at the ceiling. “I wanted to leave the clan so we’d be free to operate independently.” “Wouldn’t it be better with Inarius and the others by our side?” Ephixio sat up so that Issen had to look him in the eyes. “It would, but I don’t want to put them in any extra danger. I know asking you to accompany me is selfish, but I couldn’t imagine going through this without you by my side.” Issen replied, leaning up to kiss him. Ephixio blushed, “You know I’d follow you anywhere, Issen.” Issen’s smile stretched from ear to ear. “I really don’t know what I’d do without you.” He closed his eyes for a moment, before replying. “We need to get some sleep though. I’ve got plans for us tomorrow.” Issen leaned back down, letting his head collide with the amazingly soft pillows. Ephixio leaned over him, reaching to turn off the light on the bedside table. He pressed his palm flatly against the menu, causing the minor light to recede into the orb’s depths. Silence filled the room, save for rhythmic sound of Ephixio’s and Issen’s breathing as the two quickly fell asleep.

The light of the moon drifted through the open window, bathing the elegant room in a soft, silver glow. A gentle breeze caused the drapes to dance to a tune of their own. Issen’s eyes snapped open, awoken by the sound of an owl cawing in the distance. He sat up, looking around the dark room. What time is it? He wandered, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. His elbow bumped into the sleeping figure of Ephixio, drawing Issen’s attention. Woops, I forgot he was here. Issen rubbed the back of his head, running his fingers through his shaggy hair. I can’t believe we’ve been in this game for a year now. Issen laid back down, resting his head on his hands. So much has changed. I’ve met so many people too. Issen’s thoughts drifted to the friends that waited for him and Ephixio back at the Enforcers base. Inarius, Ayame, Seraffia, and most importantly, Ephixio. He rolled onto his side, watching as Ephixio’s chest slowly rose and fell. Issen loved being able to watch Ephixio while he was asleep. He looked peaceful, and content. Issen liked to imagine Ephixio like that all the time, in a world where death wasn’t lurking around every corner. His jaw set in a determined grin. One day, I’ll get to see him like that. I’ll beat this game and save him and everyone else. Issen felt himself blushing at the mere thought of being with Ephixio outside the game. The subtle heat tainted his cheeks a cherry pink. Nights like these, spent with Ephixio, were what kept Issen going. His desire to protect others had found a root, a place to grow and bloom, just like his affections. Ephixio had given Issen a reason to truly be stronger. A reason to hope for something more, and fight for a better tomorrow.

He thought back through the time they had been together. From their first encounter, to the day they had spent together at the beach. His memories lingered at each milestone they had shared. The first time we spent the night together… His hand drifted to his mouth as he ran one finger gently across his bottom lip. Our first kiss… Issen felt his heart beat a little faster as he thought of another time. The two had spent the night in a cave, in the middle of a dungeon. He remembered the monsters being far more powerful than either of them had expected. As the two fought through the dungeon, dancing side by side in the merciless play of life and death, they grew closer than they had ever been before. As they rested in the cave, Ephixio had confessed something Issen wasn’t ready for. I love you, Issen. I love everything about you. Your beautiful silver hair, your amazing blue eyes. The way you care about others, and always put them before yourself. Your laugh, your smile. Everything. I am completely and totally in love with you, Issen. Issen of course, had responded in the appropriate way: Stunned Silence. Ephixio, thankfully, didn’t let it phase him. He continued smiling that same adorable smile that Issen had become so fond of. Ephixio groaning in his sleep drew Issen out of his thoughts. He stared down at the Ephixio’s resting body, reaching across to Ephixio’s waist to wrap him into a tight embrace. Those three magical words, that struck a sort of chord in Issen’s heart. Those three words he had never been strong enough to say. Those three words that were etched into his very soul. I love you, Ephixio. Ephixio shifted slightly in his sleep, mumbling something incoherent. Issen thought back through the past month. Despite every challenge they had come to face, Ephixio had been with him the whole time. And with each passing day, Issen’s feelings became less and less questionable. Ephixio, of course, hadn’t once hesitated to express his feelings for Issen, which left Issen feeling slightly ashamed. He couldn’t help it. The entire idea was foreign to him. It was something he struggled with daily. However, with the help of Ephixio, he was getting there. Issen curled up even closer against Ephixio, whispering softly in his ear, “I do love you...” He said, half expecting something magical to happen upon his first verbal confession. He kissed Ephixio’s cheek gently. “You are so incredibly beautiful, and talented, and far more amazing than I deserve. You really are, Ephixio, and I love you. I love you so much…” Issen faltered, staring up at the ceiling again. The sound of ruffling blankets brought his attention to Ephixio once more. “Issen..?” Ephixio’s gruff voice called out in the darkness. “What the hell are you doing awake at this time?” Issen’s face practically glowed red with flushed embarrassment. “I… Uh… I c-couldn’t sleep.” He stuttered. “Didn’t you say we had plans in the morning?” Ephixio replied, rolling over so that he was laying on his back. “Yeah, you’re right. Sorry for waking you.” Ephixio nodded, moving so that he could rest his head on Issen’s shoulder. “Just try and get some sleep. For me, ok?” “Will do.” Issen replied obediently, burying his face into Ephixio’s dirty blonde hair. “I love you, Issen.” Ephixio mumbled. Issen felt his body stiffen. Those words. Those three words. His heart began to race. “I…” Issen opened his mouth to respond, but a massive lump formed in his throat. With no small amount of effort, he managed to swallow it down. “I love you too… Ephixio…”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back