• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Paizu Mountains] A Sheep in Wolf's Clothing

Vaudivolt

Rusty from the Rain
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
This roleplay is part of the Isekai Hell setting. More information regarding the world and its denizens can be found [here].

This roleplay will follow Ceylan as he comes across a lonely ranch on his way to the Holy City of Vegard.

Ceylan will be played by Elvario Elvario

Narration will be provided by me, Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

North of the Paizu Mountains lies a little ranch most peculiar. The location of this lonesome little place gave the 66ef4d85d1a55398e3eb4cfa081ecca8.jpgimpression that the owner was a person that shuns others, but that could not be further from the truth. Nestled in the sparse hills, close to the mountains, the ranch provides a chance for wandering souls to find shelter before – or after – braving the unforgiving nature of the Paizu Mountains. Because of this, the place has earned the name 'Last Chance Ranch' for many miles around. And while some do not understand the ranch's purpose, and refer to the owner as the Mad Cow for living so close to the mountain range, others simply know her as Nona Stoutwalker. A minotaur lady that wishes to extend a helping hoof to those in need. But now it appears she is in need of help...

Nona Stoutwalker
Despite being located on the doorstep of a tremendously dangerous area, the mornings at the ranch were usually as peaceful as any other rural location around the Republic. The natural calm was accentuated by the sounds of chirping birds, carried through the air by a mild breeze that played with the sails of the ranch's prominent windmill. A landmark for many that gratefully used it to avoid accidentally wandering into Paizu territory. Yet, upon closer inspection, the wooden structure appeared to have had better days. The wood was splintering in places as if somebody had taken an axe to the structural beams. And the fencing keeping the wandering sheep from straying too far looked no better.

The small flock of sheep appeared on edge as they searched the wild fields for their grassy breakfast, scanning their surrounding after every bite of green. And entirely avoided the grass that had streaks of red covering the blades. Warded by the faint scent of iron lingering there. The trail of crimson led from the field towards the shed aside from the larger farmhouse – thinning out into stray drops as the trail approached the shed's door. It was left slightly ajar and marked with a red handprint. “Easy there, Dotty, you'll be alright, missy...” A shaking, but comforting voice spoke from beyond the door, muffled and accompanied by the weak bleating cries of a sheep.

Last edited:
Ceylan

720px-Npc_zoom_3030074000_01.png

Ceylan (Event) - Granblue Fantasy Wiki
Languages: Common | <Beastial>
Mentions: Nona Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

After his adventures with the Tanuki folk in the south-west, he found himself in a familiar area whilst he was travelling all the way to the north-east. Truthfully, part of him had wanted to use a portal to quickly get past this place, the Paizu Mountains. Another part told him to face whatever fear of this place might linger. Having had his legs nearly bitten off, being kidnapped by the ogre's that kitsune man commanded... yet also having met a cardinal of his faith and having been foretold his ominous future. This place truly gave him mixed feelings.

As he walked, he kept looking around him. Part of him enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Another part of him glossed over his shoulder, checking for ogre's or kitsune's. His tail was a constant dance between slight wagging and sudden drooping. Even so, it was around this area, the outskirts of the mountain ranges, where he'd be needed the most. Hence he'd braved this place once more. As a [Wandering Saint] it'd be bad if he'd led his fears make him stop wandering.

This time around, his travels brought him to a place he'd only recently learned about. Apparently someone was foolish, or brave, enough to have a ranch in this area. At first, the place looked serene and peaceful. As he got closer, however, his tail drooped further and further. Some woodwork looked damaged. Some fencing seemed broken. The sheep seemed unease. Things kept starting to grow more and more suspicious and nerve-wrecking. That's when the feint scent of blood hit his nostrils. As a healer, he knew that scent all too well.

He noticed the trail of blood leading into the farmhouse, which made his heart skip a beat. What if the attacker was still there? He had no way to fight, so he'd be killed, or he'd kidnapped yet again. Should he run? No. Of course not. That was never an option. Summon allies? Yet how could he rely on the celestials for every little thing? No... He'd just need to check first. Carefully. Slowly. Steadily. He could summon aid if it turned out there truly were enemies here.

Slowly approaching the building, he could hear a voice from inside. It didn't seem like anyone was actively fighting. That was good. A bit of relief washed over him. Then he gathered his courage. “Hello? Is anyone there? Is everything alright?” He called out, standing back a bit, hoping that he was correct in his judgement and that whatever had attacked was no longer present. His luck had somehow saved him from gnolls, bandits, ogres and witches, but even that luck might run out. He held his catalyst firmly, just to be safe.

Nona Stoutwalker
tumblr_1845b946ed9dd3c51c488a169cc6ec63_f5c14a44_1280.jpgThe voice from beyond the door fell silent, and it suddenly felt as though somebody was staring intensely at the closed door. For the moment it lasted, it felt as though Ceylan's question had made the world fall into icy stillness. “That depends on who you are, stranger.” A grave tone of voice cut through the silence. “If you can get me a veterinarian, I'll be in your debt. However! If you're back for seconds...” The sharp sound of metal dragging over a wooden floor accompanied the threatening promise. “I'll be ready to repay blood with blood.”

Then, there was movement inside the shed, and the voice came closer to the door. “You know which one you are, don't you? Either enter or leave!” She insisted before the door swung open. In the back of the shed laid a wounded sheep wrapped tight in pressure bandaging, and blocking the way to the animal stood a large minotaur woman brandishing a scythe. Her leather apparel was stained red with the now-dried blood from her hands. And upon laying eyes on Ceylan... she broke down.

Her eyes widened, and the scythe slipped from her hands. Landing on the floor with a loud clanging. “Oh, thank the gods.” She gasped in relief and placed her freed hands on either of Ceylan's shoulders. “I am so sorry!”

“I need someone to tend to Dotty, now! Do you know anyone who could?” She continued, shaking Ceylan before letting go of him. “I'm sorry, I'm sorry...” She rattled on and began pacing around the small shed while repeatedly looking over at her sheep, Dotty, laying on a pile of rags to keep her comfortable. “That large mut is gonna get it... Sooner or later! I promise him that...”

Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

He was rather surprised by the type of reply he'd gotten. It was sort-off aggressive, but in a more defensive manner? It was a little intimidating to hear metal dragging along the floor, but well, one good thing about him being himself was that you'd have be practically blind to consider him a threat. So... this woman would likely realise he wasn't 'back for more' in the slightest soon enough. That was a soothing thought, as he'd rather not pick a fight.

When he saw all the blood, he was shocked. Someone had been seriously injured, that much was clear. He'd have to heal them quickly, so he rushed to check for the patient with a few simple worlds. “Don't worry, I'll do what I can to help.” However, when he spotted the actual patient, he was take aback. A... sheep? This woman was this level of concerned over a mere sheep? Something that others would consider 'lunch' had really gotten her up in arms, literally, from what he'd gathered.

The absurdity of it hit him hard. Weeks ago, he'd been at a war where he was unable to save some Tanuki soldiers from dying horrible deaths against a corrupted Hill Toad spewing acids and poisons. If the healers from back then would see someone this concerned over a mere sheep, they might call it preposterous and a waste of talent to use his healing on a sheep. Luckily enough, he wasn't them and they weren't him. His faith was very simple, bring forth the most good, which was easy to do in this situation.

“Don't worry, ma'am, she'll be back in shape in no-time.” He said, as he held his hands above the sheep and offered [Healing Prayer B] to heal the sheep of its injuries. Truthfully, he had to think a while on recalling the right type of gods of the flock, herd, or wild that might even answer a prayer to heal a sheep. Luckily, his religious knowledge was deep enough to recall some names to call upon. With the sheep hopefully cured, he'd look back at the Minotaur woman. “I'm afraid my healing can't help her recover lost blood, so she'll need to rest for a while and make sure she eats and drinks well. Other than that, she should be good again in no-time.”

Having done his job, he turned back to the woman who'd shaken him around like a reed in the wind. “I believe it would be proper to introduce myself. I am Ceylan, Bishop of the Syncretist Church. I travelled through here on my way to the Holy City of Vegard. Now, could you please inform me of what happened here? From what I gathered, it sounds like more than a wild animal attack. Was it, per chance, a monster's doing?”

Healing Prayer – Healing B, Religion B, Energised B, Persuasion F – Character asks the gods for their aid when healing someone. - Grade B e – 3 Post Cooldown.

Nona Stoutwalker
tumblr_1845b946ed9dd3c51c488a169cc6ec63_f5c14a44_1280.jpg“Oh, are you sure, stranger?” Nona questioned as she made space for Ceylan to work his miracles. “Do be careful, will you?” She added while looming over his shoulder with tangible nervousness and concern for Dotty's wellbeing. And woefully unaware of the distraction she was becoming.

“If there's anything, and I do mean anything, I can do, you let me know.” She insisted before the [Healing Prayer B] began to take effect. Silencing Nona with the sight of wounded Dotty patching up with the aid of some unknown but kindly sheep deity. She stood by anxiously while making a mental note that she should consider thanking that deity with a prayer tonight. Even after seeing the result of Ceylan's work, Nona could not seem to move a muscle. It was as if a freezing spell had taken hold of her, only to be broken once Ceylan turned away from Dotty. Then, she suddenly did not know how fast to thank her hero.

“Oh, bless your heart, stranger!” She elatedly exclaimed and shamelessly moved in for a tight hug. “I'll make sure she gets her rest and anything else she needs, thank you.”

“And-- Oh...” Nona suddenly became aware of her uncouth actions and released Ceylan for the second time during their short interaction. Then, she extended her hand towards him, attempting to salvage a sliver of normalcy for her proper introduction. “Nona Stoutwalker, bishop, the pleasure is all mine!”

“As for what happened...” She placed her hands back and used them to lean against the shed's workbench. Mentally taking herself through her hectic morning while looking up slightly. “You know why they call this little place Last Chance Ranch, bishop?” She asked suddenly, centering her attention back on him. “It's the last chance for travelers to rest up before heading out into the mountains. It sure is dangerous out there...”

“Well, sometimes the mountains send something down here as well...” She continued slightly more solemnly and looked over at Dotty for a moment. “This time it was a monster, alright. Some savage wolfman thinking he could come into my home and take my darling Dotty out for breakfast...”

“As tall as me, black fur, gleaming teeth the size of daggers, the whole package. I managed to chase him off into the woods beside the lake, and then tended to the flock.”

“As for what happened then, well, you were there for it, bishop.”

Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

Truthfully, he wasn't distracted at all when the minotaur loomed over his shoulders. He'd confirmed she was not a danger and he'd been fully focussed on healing the sheep. After all, compared to seeing folk die and being douses in acid, having someone watch over his shoulder was next to nothing in the ways of distracting. To that effect, he was more distracted when she just remained frozen after the fact. Well, momentarily, just as he was about to speak up, he suddenly found himself pulled up (he wasn't the biggest guy) into a tight hug.

That was... different. Very different. Had he ever even gotten one? Raised an orphan, straight into priesthood. Folk normally didn't really hug their priests. Sanctity, respect, all that stuff. Even if not forbidden, it was highly uncommon. It's why even his tail wasn't sure what to do and started swaying a bit in odd circles as he silently accepted his fate.

He wobbled a bit on his legs upon his release, trying to straighten his vestments. “You're welcome, ma'am.” He ended up replying after regaining some measure of composure. Truthfully, he was still a bit perplexed by just how much that sheep seemingly meant to this woman, but he didn't dare question it.

A nod upon how dangerous the mountains were was all he gave. He'd surely experienced that first-hand. Her answer, however, was not satisfactory. A wolfman or a monster. A half-monster? Possibly, though not likely. It seemed a bit odd. “I know some of the dangers in those mountains more than well enough, but what you describe seems rather odd. To survive in the Paizu Mountains, even as a savage or monster, one must be extraordinarily strong or extraordinarily clever to compete not only with giants, but also with other monsters able so survive the area. To make such an unplanned and seemingly uncoordinated attack and to be chases off like that seems more akin to desperation, potentially by someone or something new to the area, rather than a seasoned monster.”

Nona Stoutwalkertumblr_1845b946ed9dd3c51c488a169cc6ec63_f5c14a44_1280.jpg
“What're you saying, bishop?” Nona replied with growing concern to Ceylan's assessment of the situation. She knew the mountains well enough, even though she had not ventured there in a few years. The stories of visitors had kept her informed. And based on that knowledge, it appeared Ceylan had made a point worth following up on. “If this was an attack made out of desperation, do you think that monster will return?”

“Well! It's welcome to try!” She added fiercely, bent down, and lifted the fallen scythe onto her shoulder. “But, I'm not the type to wait and find out too late if it does.” The minotaur added, harshly expelling air through her ringed nose. She then gestured with her free hand for Ceylan to follow her, and stepped outside. Following the dirt path past the side of her farmhouse, Nona stopped at a good vantage point to oversee the lake behind her property.

“You see the treeline on the other side, Bishop?” She asked and pointed the gleaming end of her scythe toward it for clarification. “That's where it scurried off to.”

“If my scythe nicked it as much as I think it did, it should still be there licking its wounds,” Nona explained before planting the end of the scythe's handle firmly against the ground. And her head turned towards Ceylan. “I know this will be a lot to ask, but you sound experienced, Bishop. Would you accompany me on an early morning hunt? Before my poor sheep end up hunted again.”

Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

He had to think for a moment... Only for a moment. “I'm afraid so.” The despair wasn't gone, as it hadn't gotten what it came for. “Although he'd probably try to be a bit more clever about it. Coming at night, sneaking around first, scouting the perimeter. Even if he's acting out of despair, he'll have learned from this past failure.” Oddly enough, he had to agree with her. “Indeed, it'd be best to find him first. It leaves him less chance to recover and prepare.”

“Yes.” He just replied, as he did see the treeline... but truth be told, his senses were... dull. At best. Compared to the average beast, he didn't exactly see or smell well. Especially compared to other canines. If she'd expect him to sniff out the wolfman, she'd be expecting the impossible.

At her request, he hesitated. “On one condition.” He eventually stated. “If at all possible, I'd like to assess the situation first. Something about this feels off. Perhaps this needn't be a hunt, but an arrest or even a rescue.” He eventually stated, putting in some [Persuasion F].

Nona Stoutwalker
tumblr_1845b946ed9dd3c51c488a169cc6ec63_f5c14a44_1280.jpgNona fell silent for a moment and then shrugged lightly. “You've got your heart in the right place, bishop.” She admitted as her gaze wandered back to the view of the lake. She appeared displeased with the suggested condition but lacked a better counterargument than 'an eye for an eye'.

“Alright then,” Nona exclaimed after she made up her mind, “trusting your methods is the least I can do for Dotty's savior, right?” A smile returned to her face, and she pulled the scythe up. With the handle resting over her shoulder, she began leading the way - on their lakeside walk.

Despite being little further than the sparse fencing that indicated Nona's property, the lakeside felt more untamed. As if hidden away deep in wildlands - and not some rancher's backyard. Birds circled above the calm waters, and occasionally one of them dared to dive down in hopes of catching a fish that swam near the surface. The surrounding plant life appeared sparse and mostly consisted of grasses, ferns, and trees adjusted to the mountainous area.

As the pair followed the lake's edge and the tree density slowly increased, Nona turned her head towards Ceylan. “Say, bishop, would you tell me about your work?”

“Apart from the occasional wanderer, I mostly live alone with my animals.” She explained with a hint of regret hidden behind a friendly smile. “I imagine you're quite the opposite, bishop, and having a moment of solitude is rare, right? Do you have any stories to share to pass the time?”

Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

He was glad he got the minotaur to agree. Especially as he knew there'd be no way for him to stop her if she hadn't done so. “Thank you.” That'd make the possible future encounter weigh a little less heavy on his mind. Although, of course, he could still be wrong and face an actual full-fledged monster. At least now he'd be prepared in case his gut feeling that there might be a tad bit more to it was turning out to be correct.

Although the tense situation of what they'd encountered somewhat ruined it, he couldn't deny he liked being out and about in a place like this. The nature was gorgeous, after all. It nearly made his tail wag, but the reason for why they were here made it abstain from swaying.

It was rather surprising to be asked about his work, but he didn't mind talking about it. Even though her assumptions were rather incorrect. “I'm afraid I've been more of the mentioned wandering type up until now, as I've only gained my bishop title recently. Up until now, I've wandered through Kuridan, Ryke and a part of the See, to see where my aid was needed and to go there. I've had a lot of time in solitude travelling between destinations as a result. Right now, I was on my way to the Holy City of Vegard, where I'll be officiated as a Bishop. I'll become their patron Saint, but the title will be mostly symbolic, as my Syncretist faith requires me to go where I can do the most good.”

He fell silent for a bit. What story could he tell? “As for my stories... A fairly long time ago, when I was still a simple priest, I nearly got caught by a gnoll in a forest in the east of Ryke. I was travelling to a village near the East Empire border to officiate a wedding, along with an alchemist that was send there to deliver potions. We weren't aware of gnoll activity in that forest, not until we saw it having strung up all sorts of animal corpses from the trees for some sort of dark ritual. It was a rather gruesome sight. The gnoll was planning to sacrifice us as well, but we managed to free a sheep-girl it'd captured, whom in turn managed to defeat the gnoll. Truthfully, hearing its yapping, laughing and taunting whilst we were running from it in the midst of night was absolutely terrifying. If we hadn't run into his prisoner and managed to somehow set her free... I don't think we'd have lived to tell the tale.”

That was probably one of the more 'tame' stories he could tell. Then again, he wasn't sure how much to even tell of it. He doubted she'd want to hear the even more gruesome details and he'd rather not say he got drugged up on mushrooms along the way. He also doubted explaining how he'd healed most of those in the Holy City of Vegard, saved a tree deity or fought in Tanuki wars would be fitting just to pass the time.

Nona Stoutwalker
tumblr_1845b946ed9dd3c51c488a169cc6ec63_f5c14a44_1280.jpg“You don't say!” Nona replied in surprise, and the corners of her mouth pulled into a smile. The hint of regret on her face melted away entirely. “I didn't take you for the traveling type, Bishop, but it sounds like you've gone further than I have!”

“Say, bishop, I don't attend church enough to know if this is appropriate. So, please forgive me.” She continued while her smile changed into a slight grin, and she gave Ceylan a firm pat on the back to reward his achievements. “But! Congratulations on becoming a Saint!”

Treeline.pngAs the pair traveled further into the woodlands, Ceylan told his story. And Nona initially wondered if their surroundings had influenced the chosen tale. It was akin to a ghost story - coincidentally about the local area. As she listened, she could not help but notice the trees surrounding them growing denser. Even the morning light struggled to keep the path ahead cast in sunlight through the canopy.

Nona had never encountered a gnoll in these woods. The area was too sparse for that. But, then again, the monster that attacked Dotty had been an unexpected threat as well...

“A dark ritual, Bishop?” Nona asked and clutched the handle of her scythe. She had no desire to be sacrificed for some dark purpose. And additionally, it was unthinkable to leave Dotty to fend for herself.

“Strung up anima--” The disgust in her words was tangible, even though the words were cut short by the sudden sound of metal scraping against metal emanating from further ahead - the sound of metal chains. However, the forest underbrush hid the origin of the sound well.

Nona fell silent and placed a warning finger to her lips before inching forward. When she reached the edge of the obstructing bushes, Nona raised her scythe with both hands. The glinting blade caught a few beams of sunlight piercing the canopy before it sliced through the bushes. The collapsing plants revealed a man in leather clothing knelt before a large tree. His back turned towards the duo, and his scarred arms were busy untangling the heavy metal chain caught around the tree base.

“Of all times...” He appeared to mutter something to himself in a distressed tone. Yet, most of the words were muffled and drowned out by the sound of dragging metal. And the same noise made him unaware of the duo approaching behind his back.

Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

Indeed, for as docile as the doggo was, he'd covered a fairly big territory whilst wandering around. “Possibly so, though I've yet to gather courage to travel to the Kingdom or West Empire and the East Empire will likely remain off-limits. Perhaps I'll set my sights on the Sky Kingdom, in the near future. Being so close to the heavens often inspires the divine, or at least, that is what I'm often told.”

The firm pat on the back nearly knocked him over, but he managed to smile it off. “Thank you, and it whilst it might not be appropriate within a church or within another place of worship, we're not currently in one, so it's all good. Though... I'd rather you warn me next time.” He added, part as a joke, part serious. “Even so, the official event has yet to take place, so other than being a [Wandering Saint] I'm currently just a Saint-to-be.”

He realised he'd chosen his story well... or bad... when he even got himself nervous thinking back upon those events as the woods grew thicker. That was not exactly his intention. Then again... were this a gnoll again, he'd have a strong ally... hopefully? He doubted this woman would just back off at the first sign of trouble, at least. Besides, this probably wasn't a gnoll. Right? Right. Definitely not possible.

She heard the sound before Ceylan did, but he quickly fell silent upon her gesture. Honestly, he had net to no stealth ability, so his best option was to silently follow behind Nona as best he could whilst trying to get a better sight on what was occurring. He doubted he'd need to summon aid right now, but he did use his [Sixth Sense [Malicious Magic/Curses] D] to see if any of what was going on here was linked to the magical realms. After all, he had no clue what to make out of what little he saw and heard otherwise.

Nona Stoutwalker
tumblr_1845b946ed9dd3c51c488a169cc6ec63_f5c14a44_1280.jpgAs the sun slowly moved higher into the morning sky, the rays of sunlight shifted accordingly. Filtered by the canopy, the rays danced across the trees and forest floor – creating an almost fluid motion across the natural surfaces. Avoiding only the man knelt before the central tree. And only to Ceylan's magical senses. A black and purple swirl seeped out of the man's form. It surrounded him like a coat made of jinxed fabric that shifted violently before expanding upward into the shape of a shadow-born beast with a wolfish grin.

Then, announced by the loud rattling of chains, the miasma faded back into the shadows of the forest. And the wolfish grin was replaced by the expression of a man who had made a terrifying realization. Dropping the chains from his hands, he backed away into the tree base – cornering himself. “The minotaur!” He gasped in shock and, in a pleading gesture, extended his open palms forward. “Please, I can explain! I never wanted this to happen!” The man insisted with tangible desperation. “You have to let me explain!”

Despite the genuine appeal, Nona appeared unfazed. Staring into the eyes of Dotty's assailant, she instinctively gripped her scythe tight enough to turn her knuckles pale. “Forgive me, bishop...” She uttered quietly before slowly approaching the man. “I understand I made a promise, but I am weak...” She admitted. The words were intended as an apology to Ceylan, but her speech appeared disconnected - addressing nobody and anybody all at once.

michael-david-antinucci-viking-slave-full-body-bright.jpg“No, please! No, no!--” The man grew increasingly loud and desperate before freezing in place – paralyzed by the sight of Nona lifting her scythe and catching the sun's rays once more. “Life is repaid with life, stranger...” She added before forcefully bringing down the blade...

...To slice it deep into the tree. The wood forced the blade to halt inches from the man's frozen form. “And no life was taken...” Nona suddenly explained as she wedged the scythe's blade from the tree. “If you want to explain yourself, speak to the bishop.”

“I owe him Dotty's life, and you now owe him yours.”

Despite his life flashing before his eyes moments prior, the man did not hesitate to start talking. “Cenric!” He spat out before attempting to catch his breath. “My name is Cenric... And I have a monster in me!”

“I swear it's the truth!” He insisted fervently, grabbing the chains around him with a trembling hand and tossing them in front of Ceylan's feet. “One of the links shattered in the night, that's why it was able to attack that farm. I never wanted to do it! You have to believe me!”

Elvario Elvario

Last edited:
Ceylan

Mentions: Nona/Cenric Vaudivolt Vaudivolt

Well, his instincts turned out to be rather spot-on. His sixth sense revealed this man had been cursed in no unclear manner. It reminded him of the shrine he'd cleansed back in the south-west of the country. The same dark, shadow-ish shapes. Except this one almost seemed to be grinning, adding another eerie layer to an already eerie visage.

More worrisome, however, was the Minotaur threatening to go back on her promise. There wasn't exactly much he could do to stop her, should words not work. So he tried the latter. “Does this situation not make you wonder what's going on for as much as a single second?” He pointed towards the chains. “Clearly, there's more to this story. At least let him speak.” He'd try to talk down the Minotaur with some [Persuasion F]... only to realise it hadn't been needed. Well... at least he'd helped sell her act?

He sighed. “I know you spoke the truth, for I've seen and sensed it.” He wondered... “I've cleansed curses before, I believe I could help, but truth be told, I've never cleansed one such as this.” He looked at Nona. “You might want to ready your scythe again. Not for him, but for whatever might come out when I try cleansing him of this curse.” He spoke, not even making it a question on whether he was going to do this or not. As a Syncretist Bishop, the way forwards was clear.

Luckily, this wasn't a large-scale battle. It meant he had no need to save his energy, hold back or compromise. As such, he'd use [Curse Cleanse] with all targets aimed at the man himself. If that kind off power wouldn't help the man, only a cardinal might be able to help him. However, there was one worry left on Ceylan's mind, which was how this particular curse might react to being cleansed. That's why he'd wait for Nona to stand by, just in case.

Curse Cleanse - Magic Affinity B, Magic Range C, Magic Targets C, Sixth Sense D, Healing B, Religion B, Energised B - Uses divine senses to detect curses and combines religious knowledge with healing magic to cleanse them. - Grade B - 3 post Cooldown

Last edited:
Nona Stoutwalker & Cenric
michael-david-antinucci-viking-slave-full-body-bright.jpgtumblr_1845b946ed9dd3c51c488a169cc6ec63_f5c14a44_1280.jpgFor a moment, Cenric appeared reassured by the bishop's words. He felt he was due a stroke of good fortune - after all he had been through. And maybe this fateful encounter was just that. “Please, bishop.” He pleaded upon hearing the uncertainty about the cleansing effectiveness. “Whatever it takes...” He appeared insistent. “I would rather go through it than wake up one more morning with bloodstained hands... Please.”

His words, genuine as they were, appeared to strike a nerve with Nona. This morning that blood had been Dotty's, and she could not easily forgive him. But, frightening the cursed man by nearly slicing his head off had satiated her desire for retribution. And thus, instead of acting brash, Nona nodded at Ceylan. It was a quick, confirming gesture before her hand firmly gripped her scythe's handle. She had seen this monster mere hours ago, and an imminent encounter sent a shiver down her spine.

“Wait, wait!” Cenric suddenly exclaimed when he noticed Nona's blade trained on him. “What does that mean? Are you going to force it out?! Now?!”

“It means you better brace yourself, stranger...” Nona replied with focus, shutting down his objections.

As the cleansing energy found Cenric, he immediately keeled over. The heavy metal cuffs on his wrists clanged against each other as he grasped his waist. There was something burning his insides. As if his skeleton had suddenly burst into flames, and only his skin contained the raging fire.

It didn't contain the 'fire' for long.

Cenric's body went limp and fell to the forest floor as liquid darkness seeped out of him. A multitude of tendrils made from cursed energy shot out and latched onto the forest shadows before slowly burning away in the sunlight filtering through the canopy.

This darkness could not survive in the light of day, but that wouldn't stop it from trying. The liquid curse expanded rapidly and rose up from Cenric's body into a semi-solid form. A shadow-born beast with deep purple swirls for eyes – trained on Ceylan.

ShadowBeast.png“You DARE overstep your authority, bishop?!” It growled in [Beastial] as it lunged forward. Its body steadily tore itself apart as it crossed the burning rays of sunlight without any regard for self-preservation.

And then, as it came within reach of Ceylan, a sharp glint of light sliced through the monster's neck. The light scattered, and its head dropped to the forest floor moments before its still-standing body began to ripple from the severed neck down - like a stone dropped into a dark pond - and then it collapsed and burned. Nona's blade had found purpose, and while relieved, she rushed to assist the collapsed Cenric.

Ceylan stood alone, with the beast's head at his feet. The wolfish grin mocked him as it spoke its dying words. “Watch your shadow, bishop... wolves... are pack animals...” Then, after expending the last of its strength on a veiled threat, it burned up in the sunlight. Leaving nothing but the unconscious body of Cenric behind.

Elvario Elvario

Last edited:
Ceylan

Perhaps as a self-fulling prophecy, or perhaps just due to having good senses, his guess had been correct. The curse wouldn't be cleansed just like that. No, a far more gruesome sight of it manifesting itself appeared. “<You were the one to overstep your boundaries by entering these realms. Your kind has no place here.>” For someone totally unable to defend himself, he found his words rather quickly and confidently.

Perhaps he'd just put all his dog-treats on Nona doing exactly what she did. Ridding the monster of its head just before it could reach him. Still, its last words were rather ominous, so Ceylan tried, through [Empathy D], to see if this was just a last-ditch taunt or if it carried any actual truth. Either way, he knew that he'd already made many enemies by dark forces, so to a degree, he wondered how much one more of them would matter. His main concern was if this meant this Cedric wasn't the only one cursed... something he figured he'd rather know as soon as possible.

He'd head over to Nona. “Well done, taking care of that monster.” He'd compliment her, as it pretty much saved his life. “As for the man, I'd normally suggest letting him rest, but I'm not entirely sure what those ominous last words implied. I think, although I hope to be wrong, this man might be part of a larger werewolf pack. In that case, we need to get him to wake up as soon as possible so he can tell us whatever he knows.” He'd soon put his words to actions, as he offered a short [Healing Prayer] to see if it'd get him to wake up.

Healing Prayer – Healing B, Religion B, Energised B, Persuasion F – Character asks the gods for their aid when healing someone. - Grade B – 3 Post Cooldown.

tumblr_1845b946ed9dd3c51c488a169cc6ec63_f5c14a44_1280.jpgmichael-david-antinucci-viking-slave-full-body-bright.jpgAs Ceylan finished his assessment and approached Nona, he was greeted by the minotaur as she looked back at him. She sat knelt down on the ground, having just finished laying Cenric down in a more comfortable position. The man looked pale as a ghost. His breathing was irregular and trembled with every exhale. It was clear that cleansing the dormant shadow had rendered him unconscious.

“There's a whole world out there that ought to thank you instead, bishop.” She replied with a reserved smile, a combination of awe and an attempt to deflect the compliment he had directed at her.

“You have made the world slightly safer for the good folk.” She glanced back at the man lying on the forest floor. “But, I'm not sure we can expect him to wake up soon, bishop.”

Before she could further express her concerns regarding Cenric's well-being, she could feel the issue was already being addressed. A warm glow enveloped the unconscious man. And Nona could only describe the radiating feeling as comfort in its most tangible form. Not long after, Cenric stirred. His eyes closed tighter before they blinked open with a low, strained groan.

“How... long...” His initial words came out slow, but then his instincts took over. With widened eyes, he brought his hands within his sight. The rapid movement made his muscles ache. It forced him to wince, but at the same time, he smiled.

“They're clean...” He confirmed in a state of disbelief and laughed. His arms fell down to his sides. Spread out on the forest floor as he laughed and laughed. It was more than joy. It was a sense of relief. And freedom. “They're clean! Gods, they're clean!!”

Using [Empathy D], the veiled threat of the shadow beast lingered in Ceylan's mind – its intentions laid bare. It had been an all-consuming rage that filled the words and made them unlikely to be a false threat.

Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

From what he could've sense from the monster, it was indeed likely that there were more like it out there. How close or how likely they were to target them was another question. It didn't sit well with him. “Please keep an eye out while I talk to him.” He'd ask Nona, wanting some eyes on the treelines, just in case.

Luckily enough, he had a person that might answer that question for him, as Cenric woke up short after his healing prayer. “Cenric, was it? Listen, I need to know if there were more people like you. Just before being banished, the curse threatened to send its brethren after me and I fear that might've been more than a hollow threat.” He spoke with a sense of urgency. He didn't want to stress out the just recovered man, but this might end up being a rather pressing issue, so he'd rather get straight to the point with it.

michael-david-antinucci-viking-slave-full-body-bright.jpgtumblr_1845b946ed9dd3c51c488a169cc6ec63_f5c14a44_1280.jpgWith all that had transpired, Ceylan's simple request was all the convincing Nona needed to move from Cenric's side. “You got it, bishop.” A clear and simple response before she got to her feet. She trusted Cenric would be in good hands with him, better hands than her own. And she carried that reassuring thought with her as she took up her scythe. Stepping a few paces out from the tree, she held the weapon firm – ready for more predators to slink out of the shadows.

“Do be quick, bishop.” She called without turning her gaze away from the treelines. “We're little more than sitting dog-- ducks out here!”

As Nona stood guard, Cenric began sitting up. Resting his back against the large tree. “Cenric, yes...” He confirmed before silencing himself and paying close attention to his healer's words. After Ceylan finished, Cenric fell silent and tried to swallow some of his fears.

“My hometown...” He stated anxiously. “It's called Miller's Hollow... It's near the eastern border, on the other side of the Paizu Mountains.”

There was another fearful pause before he continued. “It's been fighting against this curse for as long as I remember... I don't understand how I got it, but when I realized I got it... I ran. I ran before I would turn and kill someone! Or got myself killed by my town...”

Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

Ceylan wasn't sure what to make of this development. The other side of the Paizu Mountains? If this man's home-town had fallen to the curse, it likely wouldn't have reached all the way here, right? He wasn't sure. “You did well.” He told the man. From the chains to the fact he ran the moment he realised what happened, this man had acted rather cleverly. He couldn't be faulted in that regard. Although the fact that Cenric remembered nothing about how he was cursed was less optimal. “Let's head back to the ranch. In the mean-time, try to remember what you can.” Ceylan decided, hoping Nona would let the man in now that she'd seen what had occurred.

tumblr_1845b946ed9dd3c51c488a169cc6ec63_f5c14a44_1280.jpgmichael-david-antinucci-viking-slave-full-body-bright.jpgIt appeared both parties had their reservations regarding a return to Nona's ranch. And while Cenric's expression immediately portrayed a clear reluctance, it was Nona who first to spoke up against the idea. She had overheard the suggestion and now faced the two instead of the treelines. “Bishop, is that really the best--”

She fell silent once her eyes found Cenric's expression. There was genuine guilt in his eyes. And while it was difficult for her to accept the man had no blame for attacking Dotty, it would be unfair not to. After all, she had always taken wandering souls into her home. This man had done nothing to be the exception. “No, you're right...”

“Let's go!” She insisted, resting the scythe over her shoulder before leading the group out of the woods. As the treelines thinned and the light of day broke through the canopy above, Cenric found the courage to address the guilt eating away at him.

“Excuse me!” He spoke up as the group exited the woods, earning Nona's attention. “I am so sorry about everything I caused... Is there any way I can repay the damage done to your ranch?”

Nona appeared bewildered by this and stared out toward the shimmering lake coming into view. For a silent moment, she watched the calm waters and sighed. “If you're not needed in your hometown, I could use an extra pair of hands for repairs...”

“Just... just keep your distance from the sheep. At least for the time being.” She added with a reserved smile and offered the man her hand. “Do we have a deal?”

“It's the least I can do!” He agreed and thankfully shook her hand. With some of his guilty conscience resolved, he turned to Ceylan. “I owe you a great deal as well, bishop. Is there anything I can do to repay my debt?”

Elvario Elvario

Ceylan

He was glad the two eventually agreed on going to the ranch. It'd have been troublesome if they hadn't, after all. He wasn't too much of a peace-broker, despite his profession. Perhaps it was just one of the many learning points he'd have to work on. That said, this situation was resolved rather well. After all, she even went as far as to hire the man. When it came to owning Ceylan a favour, Ceylan wasn't sure what to say. “Just... just tell me if you recall something. The curses' words are still in my mind. I'd like to deal with what might be left of it.” That was all he could think of.

66ef4d85d1a55398e3eb4cfa081ecca8.jpg

With the sun climbing over the Paizu Mountains, the remaining proof of any conflict would soon burn away in the warm light of midday. Dotty was well on her way to making a full recovery. Cenric was no longer a prisoner of his curse-bound shackles. And with Nona receiving the opportunity to avenge her prized sheep, it almost seemed everything had resolved before noon broke.

Almost.

As the unlikely trio returned to the Last Chance Ranch, Nona saw it fit to reward a 'job well done' by offering a hearty lunch. But, despite being seated around the dining table of a cozy farmhouse to take part in a warm meal, it did not erase the feeling of a shadow looming over them. Aware or not, the dying words of a cursed beast had already set in motion the events that would lure Ceylan to a small mountain village - a place called Miller's Hollow.

Once there, the Wandering Saint's holy light would again test itself against curseborn darkness.

And when Miller's Hollow gets caught in a snowstorm, it's not the icy wind that's howling...

The End

There are only suggestions, please wait until Grader confirms before adding!

Narrator Bonus Worth - 14 pts

Ceylan
Title
: [Dotty's Savior] - Character has saved a prized sheep from certain death, earning her friendship
Skill: Sixth Sense - Evil Spirits F - 7 pts from Narrator Bonus Worth

Last edited:
ISEKAI HELL GRADE

Aftermath/advice

Normally what would go here is the aftermath of an event since this is a 1x1 typically they don't impact the world around them. So I figured I would use this section to give advice, but no one was dinged for anything in the RP it seemed pretty straightforward first run. Just advice on my end take what you want but this is by no means criticism
🙂

The concept with Cedric was interesting, though everything built up to find the man and when the curse was brought up, it seemed a little too easy if that makes sense. There was some tension built up and then when Nona sliced through the creature in a single post as Ceylan tried to remove it from him I felt it was anticlimatic. That could have turned into a nice duel between the characters even if it wasn't a physical one or like a battle of the will. Which is perfectly fine depending on the type of Rp you want to run. If its not a combat centered one then I would recommend a round or two of a fight, doesn't need to use the effectiveness system or anything like that. The pacing was fine, it didn't seem to rushed up until the combat scene happened. As I stated earlier when Nona brought her scythe down in a single strike, I was thinking on the back of my mind why was Ceylan there then? But overall the set up was good and I look forward to seeing what other things you run!

Rewards
Vaudivolt- 10 Points to any character

Ceylan- 21 points
Acquired optional title [Dotty's Savior] - Character has saved a prized sheep from certain death, earning her friendship
Acquired skill Sixth Sense - Evil Spirits F - 7 pts from Narrator Bonus (Either Increase your sixth sense to C grade or take this as an F grade new sixth sense skill 7 points earned and spent)

Mentions: Elvario Elvario Vaudivolt Vaudivolt Novama Novama

Users who are viewing this thread

Back