• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Into the Depths...

Hellkite

*Yawn* Really?
A vengeful priest and his hired help descend into the depths of Hell itself, in order to avenge the massacre of his parish and, perhaps, to rescue his family from their place beyond the grave. The band will all have to face countless demons- their personal hates and fears personified- in order to fulfil their mission. There is no way of knowing who if any of them will return to the Human world alive, or whether the Demon's initial assault was simply one part of a greater plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ash Hill seemed a sleepy place. The village, largely forgotten on Albastia's western border, had barely been disturbed for the last two hundred years, and it seemed would continue peacefully for another two hundred more. The village itself was a collection of rustic cobblestone houses, clutching to the heathland lest it was sucked into the forest that crept onto its outskirts. It possessed three streets- all eerily dark and silent in the dusk- which intersected in the middle of the village to form the village green, beside which sat the church and graveyard. The church itself formed a bastion of warmth, flickering candlelight visible through its ornate windows which seemed to in some small way counteract the macabre gloom of the graveyard. The graves themselves mostly looked worn and sombre- as though they'd stood there since before the village had been founded. However, closer to the cemetery gate, stood a line of fresh tombstones, standing over earth which had recently been disturbed. Simon McNair, Ash Hill's vicar, propped his shovel against the low stone wall and clasped his scripture tightly to his chest, looking out over the headstones.

Twenty-two freshly dug and filled graves, representing Ash Hill's seven resident families. All killed within the same evening, exactly one week before. Simon closed his eyes and tried to clear his mind of the sadness. He succeeded, but only to feel the loss replaced by a hatred that had emerged from within him on the day of his family's demise. Turning away from the graves, he turned and made his way back inside the church. The stained windows, the candlelight and the altars comforted him somewhat. He felt safe in here at least, but safety wasn't what Simon yearned for. Entering a side room, he sat down at his desk and read the parchment before him.

'To those looking for a thrilling and profitable venture', it began, before the poster entered into more detail regarding the Vicar's proposition. A journey into the Hell and the Underworld itself- driven by simple revenge, and a naive hope that the dead might be brought back to the world of the living, somehow. The reward- the chance to reunited with lost loved ones, the opportunity to explore a realm thus far only frequented by Demons and Seraphim, and one thousand golden crowns; a fortune drawn from the Church's own coffers after countless charitable donations from Ash Hill's residents.

"I will await any willing at Ash Hill church, on the 1st day of the month."

Simon raised his quill, dipped it into a pot of black ink, and signed his name at the foot of the poster.

Simon McNaire, Vicar.

Aaron:

After many days of travelling, Aaron finally arrived at Ash Hill. He had received a stray letter that flew into his hands, as if fate tapped him on the shoulder. A letter offering a chance to dive into hell, with profit and knowledge. Ever since his Father's and Mother's curiosity in the depths below the earth, he had wanted to see for himself. Yes, his father went there as well and never returned, but for the sake of furthering his knowledge, it had to be done. His father was rash, Aaron would be careful and aware, he had the utmost confidence for this journey.

Upon entering the desolate ruin town, his curiosity sparked up once again and felt the urge to look around the place. He had heard the rumours, this quiet, isolated town was decimated off the planet, like flower pollen in the wind. Quite tragic. Whatever purpose this priest, whom he now knew as Simon McNaire, had, it probably involved the people of this village. Most likely revenge or retribution.

Aaron continued down the path, to the church. There was an ominous feel to the village, like a presence haunted it, but that was probably Aaron's mind screwing with him. After minutes of observing the town he arrived at his destination, Ash Hill church. Compared to the other buildings, this one was intact, almost seemingly undamaged, atleast compared to the other houses. Perhaps it was gods work? Slowly, Aaron reached for the door knob and steadily turned it, opening the door towards himself.

"Hello, is anyone there?" Aaron called out into the bleachers and awaited a response. Assuming Simon was there waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hello, is anyone there?""Hello, is anyone there?"

Simon was in his study when he heard the voice, sat in his worn wooden chair reading his scriptures. Calmly, in no rush he placed a leather bookmark between the pages, before standing, moving to the doorway and peering round. There, stood in the Church doorway, was a man. Simon raised his arms wide in welcome and walked towards him.

"Welcome, my son. Please, do come in."

Simon watched the man, analysing him in the same way he'd analysed his congregation during Sunday mass, when they'd still been alive. This one, Simon reckoned, was a scholar. The robes and the monacle lent him an intellectual look, and Simon couldn't spot a weapon on him. Hardly mercenary material, but nonetheless Simon was thankful that he'd recieved anyone at all.

"Come to my study, child." Simon gestured towards the doorway he had emerged from, where the door still stood open. "I presume you are one of the mercenaries- I expect you have question, and we both have time to spare I think."

Aaron:

At the hearing of the priests words, Aaron wandering his way into the church furthermore. It felt eerie, even though the look was tranquil and solemn. Perhaps it could be the fact that the town's only survivor was here, though he didn't believe he was the criminal behind it, but it was odd that he was the only one to live. However he assumed it was a demon from the small gossip he had picked up upon. In the innermost section of the church he could hear the ruffling of papers and books. Perhaps this man too, had studying he liked to do. If so, they would get along just peachy.

When the man gestured him into his study, Aaron steadily followed and looked around for any interesting looking documents. However when the Priest once again spoke up, he looked to his direction. "Yes, I am indeed a mercenary on a melancholy quest to hell. My notions tell me you have a quarrel with the demons below and wish to venture to the earth's pit below. Would my inquiries be atleast somewhat correct?" Aaron questioned as politely as possible, lightly bowing to the priest out of respect.

"Because if that is so, sir. I must warn you forwardly, after my many years of studying, my only thoughts of hell are that of criminal's nightmares."

Simon nodded curtly at the man. Straight to the point.

"Your thoughts are of little concern to me child, provided that they are pure of heresy. And you are quite correct. I wish to descendto the depths of hell, and..."

Simon thought about how best to phrase it.

"...settle the score, as it were."

He hurried on.

"Of course, all in the name of our one God. THis is revenge for the butchering of his people, not some... personal vendetta."

Simon watched the man.

"Tell me you name, child, while we wait for our soon-to-be comrades to arrive."

Aaron:

"Oh how rude of me not to introduce myself. You may call me Aaron, I am a demonic user of sorts I guess you could say, one of the few sane ones on this planet." He begun, preparing for a rather long speech. "You see my mother and father had a great intrest on what was going on beneath our feet, what sort of grief, things like that. Naturally, I adopted their curiosity and that's what I am here today for." Aaron finished and bowed slightly.

"Now then, you must be a divine user, am I correct? God's blessings will struggle to reach your calls down there, I have come prepared though. My mother created many magical amulets you see and I have decided to gift one upon you, my dear priest." Aaron added and offered the priest a light, wooden box that illuminated slightly.

"Hell is a dangerous place, I hope your desires will fuel you well... I am deeply sorry for what has happened and I will do all I can to assist."

Scarlette:

After travelling from a nearby town, Scarlette arrived at Ash hill. The ruined buildings and scent of blood however, didn't seem to bother her in the slightest. As a matter of fact she seemed oblivious to the smell and tone of the entire area.

She wandered around aimlessly for about ten minutes before resting on a pile of cobble stone, obviously lost in the area. She was never exceptionally good with directions and this town didn't have a map for it, or atleast a map for its current state.

Simon took the box opened it, producing a small pendant- a crucifix.

"A demonic user, you say?" Simon said as he tied the pendant around his throat. "I suppose that, in this one case, I can permit your choice of magic. Clearly it hasn't consumed you, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to carry an Artiodactyla such as this.

Simon touched the pendant at his throat.

"Thanks, by the way. Most generous of you- although I'd like to believe that divine light can penetrate even to the darkest depths of Hell."

Aaron:

Aaron let out a small smile, knowing that he might of saved the priest for sure. No matter how confident he was, divine light was weaker in hell, he knew that for a fact. But his demonic arts would be at a unreal level, he would definitely be one of the more powerful ones down there, even if he was the weakest above ground.

"I wear an amulet aswell, that's why I remain under control. Though I have studied at many academies, to prevent my corruption, if the amulet does indeed fail. I cannot let myself be tempted by hell's apples." Aaron finished.

(maybe Cassandra can meet up with Scarlette?)

Simon shrugged.

"I suppose that's... acceptable, then, although why you would turn from The Lord to such demonic arts is beyond me, child."

Cassandra strode through Ash Hill at a brisk pace, eyes focused on the ground in front of her, rather than wandering to either side and seeing the desolate village she'd sound herself in. She'd been walking in such a way for two days now, utterly focussed and intent on reaching her goal- the job. It was only when she turned a corner in the road, that she stopped dead in her tracks. Someway ahead of her, sat on some stones and with a battle axe slung over her shoulder- a woman. Cass dropped to a knee and unlimbered her bow, setting a narrow to the string and making ready to draw.

"You there," she called. "Stand, slowly, and out the axe down where I scan see it."

Cases didn't believe in trust- as far as she was concerned, the woman was a potentially lethal threat until proven otherwise. Besides- she seemed so nonchalant in the midst of all this death, that it made Cass's skin crawl.

Aaron:

Aaron paused a moment and lightly chuckled. "Well all the kids wanted to be divine magicians, why not be different? I do like the challenge quite much." Aaron replied.

Scarlette

Scarlette wandered around a little more, still not bothered in the slightest that there was death everywhere around her. However when a voice called her name, she turned her head, a confused expression bestowed upon her face. When she demanded she put her axe down, she did not know how to react. Here was an insolent brat trying to tell her what to do, but it did not look like she had the intent to kill her either. Perhaps she was there for the same reason?

"Oi... I don't want any trouble. I'm just looking for the church, ye' know where it is?" Scarlette questioned, and instead of putting her axe down, she rested it over he should, smiling while doing so.

Simon raised an eyebrow at Aaron.

"You chose to be a Demonic mage just to be different? You had so little respect for the forces of the divine that you abandoned them that easily?"

Simon sighed.

"I suppose that part of my journey with you will be guiding you to the light."

Although only after we've accomplished our mission, Simon thought.

==========

Cass lowered her bow slightly at the other woman's words, although keeping the arrow knocked, wary of that axe.

"The church," Cass began, "Happens to be the same place I'm going. It's just down there" She nodded along the street. "I assume you've come for the contract?"

Aaron:

Aaron scratched his head and lightly smiled. "Well, I'll see you to it. I think having a demonic user during our little expedition would be helpful, and I am among the safest." Aaron boasted, but then paused a moment. "Now then, tell me, how do you plan on getting into the depths?" The dark mage questioned, extremely curious. He knew many ways, all the passages, but he had never heard about the Divine way.

Scarlette:

Upon hearing that she was working with this little marksman, she stifled up a little laugh. "Ha, you a mercenary? Such a silly thought, with a silly image to go along with it. You are much to skinny to be a real mercenary, you need to eat more dearie." Scarlette jested, whilst putting her axe into its sheathe, which was located on the blades of her back.

"Now tell me, what game are you playing. This is a high ranking job, with high death stakes. Do you think a doll like you is capable, or are you just a mindless journeyman?" She joked with a confident stance.

"It's a simply procedure- I simply need to direct Divine influence at a point where the barrier between ourselves and below is weakest. The cemetery, I imagine, would be best for this purpose"

Simon shuffled papers on his desk idly.

"It all depends on faith. And after recent evens, my faith is as strong as iron. "

=========

Cass scowled at the woman and her mockery.

"Shut it, before I put an arrow in your throat. As for being a doll- this doll's been places you wouldn't believe, and has survived this long through grit alone."

Cass began to stride away up the street towards the church.

"And the contract? I have personal business to attend to down there. Until I have achieved that goal, then I'll just have to endure whatever gets thrown at me."

"What of you? To speak like that I expect your a mercenary of some repute." Cass called behind her, a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

Aaron:

Aaron put his hand onto his chin and thought for a moment. "Hmm, so that is the divine way, eh? Well that is not how I would go about it, but whatever way gets the job done is fine by me. But remember, Iron does have its breaking point and when it breaks, it snaps." Aaron responded in an intrigued tone. He was not used to divine users, they were certainly... different. However he was not sure this priest knew what he was getting himself into. Aaron assumed Simon believed he was going into some fiery pits, and that would be wrong.

"I am just along for the ride, but, would you like me to educate you on the knowledge I have collected on the depths? They are all estimates, but they are quite quotable and most likely right." Aaron offered.

Scarlette:

For a moment Scarlette shot Cass a deadly look, but quickly, like lightning, it changed to a more playful one.

"Haha, I like you girl. You have spice, I'll give you that." Scarlette stifled and walked over to Cass, and slammed her on the shoulder, playfully.

"Now then let's get going." Scarlette begun, wrapping her arms around her shoulder heavily. "I am Scarlette, the best damn Mercenary out there, whatever this contract thing is, I bet it's going to be good. Did ya' see the pay?" Scarlette added in an ecstatic tone, dodging most of her questions.

(My notifcations are no longer working apparently- so I'll like your posts as/when I see them so you know whether I know you've posted.)

Simon

Simon shrugged at the man's offer.

"While I have no desire to involve myself with demonic knowledge, I suppose there is merit in knowing what we have to face. Tell me, Aaron, what you know. I shall fortify my soul so as not to be corrupted."

Simon gripped his scripture tightly to his chest, so tightly that his knuckles went white.

Cass

Cass raised an eyebrow and brushed Scarlette's hand off her shoulder.

"I'm Cassidy, although I'd rather you just called me Cass."

She spotted the church in the distance.

Almost there. So close now.

"As for the paycheck," Cass continued, "I suppose it's alright. If I'm honest, I'm more wondering how a priest got his hands on that amount of money, rather than the details of the job. If you ask me, its something major."

She shrugged.

"But then what do I know about priests? Haven't been to church since I was kid- and things do change I guess."

Cass cast a glance over at the woman beside her. She seemed boisterous, but there was no way she was harmless. Cass eyed the axe.

This one's tricky to judge. Cass thought. She seems the type to macho up- that makes it hard to work out what she's thinking. One to watch, but she seems friendly enough. I shouldn't need to watch my back.

Aaron:

Aaron pulled out a couple of papers from his bag, which hung over his right shoulder. "Very well." He began, adjusting his monocle. "While there a demons that lurk down there, they aren't like the ones in fairy tales. I believe them to look different to every being, they are there to scare you and drag you back to the surface. Psychology is usually the first thing to suffer, Hallucinations are normal and voices terrifying. Though, it should be noted that magic users should have higher resistance to the effects, Divine and Demonic users the best, while anima users the second best." Aaron read, and put his sheets away.

"My father wrote that. He went down there to finish his book and make sure his estimates were correct. He never did return." Aaron added, to perhaps give Simon an idea of what he was getting in to.

Scarlette:

"Cass eh? Well I am Scarlette, ye' can call me Scar if you want, but that sounds a bit masculine." Scarlette replied and moved to her side as she removed her embrace from her shoulders. The girl seemed to know where she was heading, so Scarlette steadily followed. Directions were not her strong suit.

Upon coming up to the church she felt a sentimental sensation. She used to go to church every Sunday, that was until she became a Mercenary and cared for her sickly sister. She was going on a dangerous mission, but knowing she was working with a man of god made her feel a bit safer. When Cass spoke up she sort of listened, but missed out on a lot of details.

"Perhaps his followers gave him money or something? Bah, who cares!? As long as I am getting paid I am happy." She responded.

(Alright ^^. Just so you know, I try to post everyday.)

As Cass hammered on the Church door, she grinned wryly at Scarlette.

"Yeah, who cares right? So long as the money's good, best not to concern myself with the specifics, I suppose."

She stood on the doorstep, one hand playing with the bow slung over her shoulder, the other resting easily on her hip.

I wonder what this priest's going to be like? He may be a man of God, but he's also the survivor of a massacre. That sort of thing changes someone. Hell- I should know.

Abruptly the door swung open, revealing a priest, who cast a glance over the two women, before beckoning them inside, leading them silently to a side room where another young man was standing. Turning to face the three of them, Simon paused for a moment.

They're really here. He thought. This is actually happening- I'm going to achieve my revenge.

"My daughters," Simon addressed Cass and Scarlette. "Welcome. I am Simon- the priest of this parish. This," he gestured at the man beside him. "Is Aaron. I believe that it will be only the four of us making the journey...below."

Scarlette steadily followed as the pair of girls entered the Church door. It had been a while since she last did this, it almost felt like she was going for a weekly worship, it helped that the priest was coming their way as well. He was probably the one who would be paying them for this excursion.

As the priest introduced himself, Scarlette withdrew her axe back to her belt and smiled at Simon. "Name's Scarlette, the skinny one's Cass." Scarlette introduced, not even thinking for a second that Cass might want to introduce herself. She was ready for this mission, they didn't need to waste time on small talk.

Soon another man entered the group, Aaron. He smiled at the ladies and quietly waved, hearing that he was introduced before. "It is a pleasure to meet you both." Aaron said with a small bow. Though he knew the introductions would soon be turning into fatal good byes, soon he would see atleast one of their blood coming from an open wound, or a shallow scream emitting from one of their mouths, it was evident to happen. But Aaron wished not to scare them, they looked to be prime candidates for the psychological effects of hell, since they looked nothing like magic users. So confidence was what was best for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back