• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

In-Site Dictionary Suite

White Masquerade

QuirkyAngel's Red Oni
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hello. Always been meaning to ask this. Is there an add on that supports what the title says? There is a word corrector, but nothing else. Having synonyms pop up for a highlighted word like in Microsoft Word, would be excellent.

Also, not all synonyms are equal, so a dictionary meaning of the words popping up would help as well. The dictionary function could also be used to highlight and find out about words in other peoples' posts, you're not familiar with.

An extra, would be a word etymology function, that works with the dictionary/thesaurus.

For reference, there is an android app where you take a picture of a word, and information about it pops up. I think the name is Optical Reader.

Anyway, it would be a really nice addition. It would lead to a few less tabs open for people.

You can also get Grammarly for free and it works on any site. Highlight a word and you get a definition and synonyms. Not only does it correct spelling, it corrects grammar structure as well. No tabs required. Just make an account like easy-peezy-lemon-squeezey.

Musician said:
You can also get Grammarly for free and it works on any site. Highlight a word and you get a definition and synonyms. Not only does it correct spelling, it corrects grammar structure as well. No tabs required. Just make an account like easy-peezy-lemon-squeezey.
Wow...that sounds like something a certain novel (me) needs to use :')

Musician said:
Hello Muse! Wonderful. Thank you for the Grammarly site info. The Grammarly suggestion would work if we were only talking a few people, but most of my ideas have the masses in mind. It would be odd to tell all the site's users to go to Grammarly and make an account just to get this done.

Some people will seriously get turned off at, "make an account", others, at "go to another website besides RPN", and others still at, "you have to do this yourself".

Any update of this nature would have to be in-site, if it truly wants to make an impact. Your Grammarly suggestion, maybe 20 of us at best, saw. It leaves out the other thousands of members we have. Something in-site, will reach everyone who logs onto RPN. I can't imagine anyone who'd login and say, "hey. This thesaurus/dictionary doesn't help my writing. Somebody take it off." ( :P )

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]Hello Muse! Wonderful. Thank you for the Grammarly site info. The Grammarly suggestion would work if we were only talking a few people, but most of my ideas have the masses in mind. It would be odd to tell all the site's users to go to Grammarly and make an account just to get this done.
Some people will seriously get turned off at, "make an account", others, at "go to another website besides RPN", and others still at, "you have to do this yourself".

Any update of this nature would have to be in-site, if it truly wants to make an impact. Your Grammarly suggestion, maybe 20 of us at best, saw. It leaves out the other thousands of members we have. Something in-site, will reach everyone who logs onto RPN. I can't imagine anyone who'd login and say, "hey. This thesaurus/dictionary doesn't help my writing. Somebody take it off." ( :P )

[/QUOTE]
My idea was with the masses in mind. It's a very easy tool to use, far easier than opening another tab. People don't even have to go through the new account process. They can associate it with a Twitter or Facebook account as well. There are at least 4 million people who use this application so I highly doubt only 20 people know of it already. (> :D ) It's a quick alternative for the time being, as I am not sure how easy it would be to add a built-in thesaurus to the site. It could be as easy as adding some kind of "Google" extension that searches the internet, but then it would just be better off to tell someone to "use the internet".

Musician said:
My idea was with the masses in mind. It's a very easy tool to use, far easier than opening another tab. People don't even have to go through the new account process. They can associate it with a Twitter or Facebook account as well. There are at least 4 million people who use this application so I highly doubt only 20 people know of it already. (> :D ) It's a quick alternative for the time being, as I am not sure how easy it would be to add a built-in thesaurus to the site. It could be as easy as adding some kind of "Google" extension that searches the internet, but then it would just be better off to tell someone to "use the internet".
Ack. Who knows. Thank you for the answer though! I will be bookmarking that site for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back