Hypothetical Charm situation

Ok, a friend and I were discussing the concept of making a blind character work. We were looking at the awareness charms which after the first one, you can buy superior and ultimate sense charms or whatever they're called. If you got all of the awareness charms in that direction, you'd have 7 charms. Now, techincally for a blind PC these sight ones wouldn't be too usefull... But we got thinking, what about after that, making a Permenant charm that would be 8th teir, that would give all three of the 3rd teir sense charms to a PC. We figured the sight would be more of a "motion detector" ability rather than actual sight... THe hypothetical PC is after all, blind.  Is this overpowered?

And while I'm at it, permanent or no, if you have the 3rd tier sight charm and can see a field mouse move two miles away, should you get an accuracy bonus to archery?

Ok' date=' a friend and I were discussing the concept of making a blind character work.[/quote']
Sensory Acuity Prana increases your Awareness pools by your Essence, mechanically.  This will help compensate for the "attacking blind" penalty, and I'd allow you to keep Essence committed to it indefinitely as a special exception, if it was part of the character concept.

Above that, you only really have an interest in four Charms: Keen Hearing/Smell/Touch/Taste, and Unsurpassed Hearing/Smell/Touch/Taste.

However, if you wanted to build a permanent Charm off of this cascade, it sounds reasonable to me.  I'd still require some Essence commitment to get the Keen or Unsurpassed effects.

And while I'm at it' date=' permanent or no, i you have the 3rd tier sight charm and can see a field mouse move two miles away, should you get an accuracy bonus to archery?[/quote']
You should, if you had some way to make your arm move in exactly the way your eye dictated.

I don't understand why so many people want to be blind, only to buy a few Charms and essentially be able to see again, even if you're "seeing" through feeling the air around you or whatever.  

If you want to be blind for simple stylistic reasons, just let the character be blind and give him a "sense" for free that reduces his blind fighting penalty to nil.  He gets all the stylism of a blind fighter for roleplay reasons, but saves XP on the superfluous Charms.

If he buys a FLAW to be blind, no permanent Charm should be allowed that cancels out the penalty - ever.  Buying such a thing should involve buying off the flaw points, because it's clearly circumventing the flaw.  If you take blindness as a flaw, no Charm that doesn't require at LEAST Essence expenditure every scene should be allowed to negate your penalties.

At first after I read this I was of the mind set that charms should be able to take care of this.

However, after reading Joseph's post I agree completely. Spending xp to buy off the flaw would represent the character overcoming his handicapped.

I agree as well with Joseph.  I personally see playing a Blind person as an interesting concept to play from the stand point of something like a Zenith that had his eyes removed for some reason buy still had the faith left to beleive.  

I persoanly dislike most flaws for an Exalted.  Blind for an Exalted isn't really the same as for a mortal because you can sense the flows of essence as you get more powerful, which means you really can see everyhting around you with a new sense.  The only drawback i see being blind would cause is reading since wirtten words don't necessarily have a essence to them, but even then if you get enough of a sense of the world around you I would see it as possible to be able to sense the ink on the paper, or grooves in the rock to such an extent that you can read what is there as if you could see.

psychoph said:
 I personally see playing a Blind person as an interesting concept to play from the stand point of something like a Zenith that had his eyes removed for some reason buy still had the faith left to beleive.  
It's a pretty common thing for prophets to have their physical eyes damaged, as the price of the gift of prophecy (or to have the gift of prophecy in recompense for blindness). It's really appropriate for a Zenith to lose his normal sight but gain in return the vision of the greatness of the Unconquered Sun.

As for reading, I'm fairly certain one of the touch charms lets your sense get sharp enough to feel the written word.

HTH said:
And while I'm at it, permanent or no, if you have the 3rd tier sight charm and can see a field mouse move two miles away, should you get an accuracy bonus to archery?
I don't think so. Just being able to see that far isn't going to do the trick, I'd think. If you coupled it with a few other charms that let you hit perfectly, you might have justification for being able to make the shot, provided you had an artifact bow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back