Graphics - GIMP 2.0 Guide

Saccharine Cyanide

One part sweet, two parts poison
Hello, and welcome to my GIMP guide! I'll be talking about how to add textures and white-on-black fonts to images using GIMP.

GIMP is a free, open-source image editing program that has almost all of the same functions as Photoshop. Unlike Photoshop, GIMP is not user-friendly. When you first download and open it, you might be overwhelmed by the number of tools, commands, etc. and the lack of specific instructions on how to use all of them. If you want to know how to use every single one of them, you'll have to read through the manual and look up tutorials. I'll show you how to do some basic image manipulation that will make your roleplay and layouts stand out a bit. Hopefully, that will be all you'll need if you don't feel like digging into GIMP's interface.

The first thing you'll want to do, of course, is download GIMP if you don't have it already. It's available for download here. Go ahead and run the setup, and pin it to your taskbar for easy access.

Next, you'll want to download some brushes. There are plenty of free brushes out there, on places like DeviantArt and https://myphotoshopbrushes.com/.

GIMP allows the use of brushes that are specifically designed for GIMP, but you can also use Photoshop brushes. Unfortunately, you can't simply download them. You have to unzip the file you want and then move it directly into the "brushes" file. On Windows, open the directory: PC > C: > Program Files > GIMP 2 > share > gimp > 2.0 > brushes. Then, drag and drop the unzipped file into "brushes."  Make sure the .abr file isn't in a folder inside the folder you unzipped, and if it is, bring it up to top folder. You can do the same thing with the "patterns" file for downloaded patterns.

You may also want to download some fonts from somewhere like DaFont. I don't believe you have to extract the fonts in order to download them. Simply double-click on the OpenType or TrueType font file and press "Install."

Now, open up GIMP.  The interface should look something like this:

9a529dbe44b7482bb4827647a7dc70b0.png

If you moved everything correctly, you should see the brushes you downloaded over there on the right, along with some default brushes.

One of GIMP's best features is how easy it is to manipulate layers.  We're going to do a little bit of layer manipulation and play around with the "mask" effect as well.

You'll want to go to file, and either create a new image with "New" or select an image to manipulate with "Open..." to get your image file. I recommend that you have your file saved as .png before you manipulate it and .jpg when you're finished.

3d77067678454c49b2002a37bbb4c09e.png

In retrospect, I should have chosen an image with less white.

What you'll want to do is select "Layer>New Layer>White." This will create a new  white layer on top of the image.

3ff8b6696c64471fa75013c9e5b9420e.png

Next, send the new layer to the bottom with "Layer>Stack>Layer to bottom."  Select the top layer with "Layer>Stack>Select top layer."

1be19891cce3486c86d92195ddf91551.png

121a88daa08848be938bea18d7bb17d4.png

Now, add a layer mask using "Layer>Mask>Add layer mask>Black>Add."  Your image will turn white because it now has a mask. It's time to select one of the brushes on the right. Make sure the brush is set to white and not the default black. Now, you can paint through the mask and let the image underneath show, allowing you to create cool textures. Go crazy with the brushes. I downloaded some weird galactic ones for this tutorial.

7ad8e7f0574b41ac88df254234db9e63.png

6cd93024a37d4692aa79d69ccdbfc037.png

0e06f51aee8a498a872bd59b3ff4ac23.png

The brushes give the image a little bit texture. When you're finished, go to "Layer>Mask>Apply layer mask."  You can keep using the brush over the image, but now the brush will cover the image rather than revealing it. When you're finished, go to "File>Export as...>" and export the image as a .jpg file. Make sure you export it rather than save it.

If you want to add some text, go to "Fonts" and select an area.  This will create a new font layer.

For white on black text, type out your text in white. Then, either right-click the layer and choose "Add alpha channel" or use the "Select by color" tool in the right toolbar to select the entire font.

cd6220f7f41a46f3bcb8f25f81a03b11.png

Then go to "Select>Grow" and enter the size of your black text.  I usually go with 5.

65dc4bd1260649cd8e769bcf9fb52c25.png

Now, select the background layer and fill in the area behind the text with black.

11f8cb715e1f46c4b8ebea4368af36f2.png

This process works with most fonts.

Here it all is incorporated into a graphic. I tried to get some writing to tuck into the right portion under the title, but that didn't work, so I just put some text there instead. If you know a way to get two halves of a picture to stick together with text next to them, please tell me.  D :

fb6da3ae78f140fbaad05e7199244943.jpg

Okay, now show me your cool designs that are better than mine so I can feel bad about myself.

View full tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

Back