Advice/Help Getting back into the swing of things?

Arcanist

It's always darkest before the dawn
Supporter
Roleplay Type(s)
Hi! So in the midst of my frontal lobe expanding, I'm wanting to see if I can get fully immersed back into my old hobbies, which includes writing/roleplaying. I'm very lax with replies on here as some people might experience (your patience is MWAH much appreciated). I work full-time in a busy job which has left me drained previously, but hoping to achieve more of a work-life balance going forward. Is there anyone who has had that experience before or even how you have made more times to do the things you love? I'm a perfectionist when it comes to writing, and even though it's crippling, I do want to try and work towards making it something I love again.

Hi! So in the midst of my frontal lobe expanding, I'm wanting to see if I can get fully immersed back into my old hobbies, which includes writing/roleplaying. I'm very lax with replies on here as some people might experience (your patience is MWAH much appreciated). I work full-time in a busy job which has left me drained previously, but hoping to achieve more of a work-life balance going forward. Is there anyone who has had that experience before or even how you have made more times to do the things you love? I'm a perfectionist when it comes to writing, and even though it's crippling, I do want to try and work towards making it something I love again.

Oh boy, frontal lobe expansion means a life crisis. I know exactly how you feel. I used to be very active, posting every day and participating in multiple roleplays. But a job with long hours and various life changes has drained most of my time. I too have tried to get back into writing because I missed it, but it has been a challenge. It's not possible to participate in RPs that post multiple times a day, but you can participate in ones that go slower. Maybe 1 or 2 posts a week? And moving your posting to the weekend will help. Focus on your job during the week and take Saturday or Sunday to read/post replies. You can also work on a post over multiple days. Maybe work on a post for 30 minutes every night. Then put it out whenever it's done. That way you get the feeling of writing every day but it doesn't take up all your "non-work" time.

Now there's nothing wrong with being a perfectionist, just understand what comes with it. I wish you luck and hope you get a chance to start writing again.

Oh boy, frontal lobe expansion means a life crisis. I know exactly how you feel. I used to be very active, posting every day and participating in multiple roleplays. But a job with long hours and various life changes has drained most of my time. I too have tried to get back into writing because I missed it, but it has been a challenge. It's not possible to participate in RPs that post multiple times a day, but you can participate in ones that go slower. Maybe 1 or 2 posts a week? And moving your posting to the weekend will help. Focus on your job during the week and take Saturday or Sunday to read/post replies. You can also work on a post over multiple days. Maybe work on a post for 30 minutes every night. Then put it out whenever it's done. That way you get the feeling of writing every day but it doesn't take up all your "non-work" time.

Now there's nothing wrong with being a perfectionist, just understand what comes with it. I wish you luck and hope you get a chance to start writing again.
You've hit the nail on the head, it's been a rough week with work on top of it as it is! All your points are really helpful, and they're actually things I've already been implementing (or at least trying to). I put a lot of pressure on getting things done, but I suppose dedicating 30 minutes and not pressuring myself to do that might help! Also keeping it to weekends too.

Thank you for your advice, and I hope you can carry it forward too with your own writing! :)

I think the biggest thing is having the confidence to do so. Giving yourself permission to only take what you can handle. But remaining realistically dedicated to a goal, even if it is a small one. I was talking to my friend the other day and she's a mother of two and we were talking about getting back into being creative. She just said, I take my moments when I can, sometimes that's just forty minutes and sometimes its ten. Good luck getting back in the swing of things <3

I think the biggest thing is having the confidence to do so. Giving yourself permission to only take what you can handle. But remaining realistically dedicated to a goal, even if it is a small one. I was talking to my friend the other day and she's a mother of two and we were talking about getting back into being creative. She just said, I take my moments when I can, sometimes that's just forty minutes and sometimes its ten. Good luck getting back in the swing of things <3
Confidence is such a big thing! I think I've lost that over the years and I'm that wary of what others think it nearly stops me from doing anything at all ^^; but your friend is right; it's about taking the small steps where you can! I've been using timers lately for a lot of things to keep me on track and I find they help me get things started at the very least. 30 minutes every day, or even 300 words, that's what I'm aiming for :) I wish you both the best of luck too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back