Frequently Posted Threads

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
<p>

Alright, friends and neighbours, once again I take up the mantle of Meanest Senpai to enlighten your souls and destroy your egos - in this case with a completely neutral and polite list of useful resources. Because I see the same threads pop up again and again, I decided to collate some links here. I hope you find them useful.

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

<strong>THE BASICS </strong>

</p>

<p>

CloudyBlueDay has graced you all with this concise and informative guide on getting started at RPN: <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/how-to-roleplay.75981/" rel="">Roleplay - How to Roleplay!</a>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

In case you're wondering what a Nation Builder is, I've got you covered. <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/unrealpolitik-what-is-a-nation-builder.129521/" rel="">Roleplay - Unrealpolitik - What Is A Nation Builder?</a>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

Do you wonder what the hell dice are for? I've got that, too. <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/roll-dem-bones-the-basics-of-dice-roleplays.134740/" rel="">Dice - Roll Dem Bones - The Basics of Dice Roleplays</a>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

And <em>slightly </em>more advanced than the above, here's something on where to start with the first RP you create. <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/creating-an-rp.77195/" rel="">Roleplay - Creating An RP</a>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

Then you might need advice on running it, right? <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/playing-god-a-gm-tutorial.106138/" rel="">Roleplay - Playing God - A GM Tutorial</a>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

This is all writing, and DividesByZero has helpfully distilled a core technique of writing. <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/protip-show-dont-tell.81350/" rel="">Roleplay - ProTip: Show, Don't Tell.</a>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

And since DBZ is on a roll, here's another thing that's crucial for roleplaying. <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/pro-tip-proactive-vs-reactive-guide-to-awesome-characters.217613/" rel="">Roleplay - Pro Tip: Proactive Vs. Reactive; Guide to Awesome Characters!</a>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

<strong>INTERMEDIATE CONTENT </strong>

</p>

<p>

Okay so this section is kind of all me.

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

You need a plot. YOU NEED A PLOT. <strong>YOU NEED A PLOT. </strong>

</p>

<p>

<a href="<___base_url___>/threads/basic-plotting.148071/" rel="">Roleplay - Basic Plotting</a>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

And a setting. <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/primordial-a-world-building-primer.126170/" rel="">Roleplay - Primordial - A World-Building Primer</a>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

Finally - a mish-mash of useful advice articles.

</p>

<iframe data-embedcontent="" frameborder="0" src="<___base_url___>/topic/248554-so-you-want-to-write/?do=embed"></iframe>

<p>

</p>

<p>

<strong>ADVANCED TECHNIQUES </strong>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

Ghost wrote one of my favourite tutorials and, even better, saved me from having to write it. Thank you, Ghost, for this comprehensive guide on writing mental disorders. <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/writing-a-mentally-ill-character.112862/" rel="">Roleplay - Writing a Mentally Ill Character</a>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

DividesByZero does it again. I put this in advanced because of a maxim I appreciate: those who can be discouraged from writing should be. <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/pro-tip-kill-your-darlings-and-finish-your-stuff.196947/" rel="">Roleplay - Pro Tip: Kill Your Darlings and Finish Your Stuff!</a> (In particular I like the part about aspiring because I'm a cruel and petty creature)

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

That wraps it up for now, but if you'd like to see anything added to this thread just let me know and I will sit in judgement of your choices. If you'd like other questions answered, you can also shriek and spin prayer-wheels here: <a href="<___base_url___>/threads/one-stop-shop.203415/" rel="">Tutorial - One Stop Shop</a>

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back