• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Formal Debate Forum

Do you agree with a forum for debate?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I feel like having a forum dedicated to debate, be it on matters of politics, television, whatever, would make a great addition to this website. Me, and many other members feel a bit silenced by the tough chat rules, and while they are in place to protect, and prevent chaos a good old place to go argue ones thoughts would help remove these urges to debate.

Of course this should not just be a place to go shitpost, make blatantly racist remarks, and act like a buffoon. In fact I feel like people involved in attempting to deliberately cause conflict should be banned from the sub-forum itself.

However, this brings up another minor issue, which is easily solved, how do you define a shit poster, what is a blatantly racist remark? While that would be in the end for staff to determine, I personally feel you can easily differentiate between those who want to contribute to a topic, and those who are only there to cause problems.

Over all however this is simply a proposition, I was told by an admin to post this here, rather than suggest it on the discord chat, and will most likely be unnoticed.

Oh, it won't go unnoticed, believe me. I saw it.

One of the reasons why politics etc. are verbotten on this site is because of the charged nature of debate. Most people have no concept of what a healthy debate looks like and it would be too easy for the site to be divided by political ideology rather than having good fun. I know there are plenty of people on this site with whom I am sure I do not agree politically/socially/fiscally and I really don't want to get into a situation where I see those individuals differently than I do now.

Also, if there was to be a forum dedicated to debating the topics of the day then this forum becomes less about role-playing and more about politics. That is not what we're here for. If you wish to debate politics there are a great many sites on the internet for that purpose. Making political/social/what have you debates and discussions on the site and on discord isn't about silencing anyone, it's about keeping on topic.

The problem was, we had a debate forum... and because it's the internet and anonymity gives people wings (to be shmucks), things got really ugly, really fast. The staff tried to make it so you basically had to apply to be a part of the debate forum, then - to avoid the trolls and such - but in the end that backfired, too. People get heated and when they get heated, it's really easy for debates to turn into arguments.

My views? I'm with Xylin. This is a roleplaying forum - there are debate forums all over the internet for people who wanna discuss politics and world issues and other generally touchy subjects. To bring that here (again) honestly, just feels like a way to create division. I know -I- look at people based on their character (not like... RPing characters, but personality characteristics) - and when someone shows themselves to be a douche in real life issues, I have a really difficult time being okay with them as a person. I'm forgiving and I don't hold grudges... but it'd be awfully hard for me to look at someone as a player in a roleplaying game... when all I can think about is their views on politics or social issues.

I look at it this way - you wouldn't go join a campaign in World of Warcraft so you can discuss the current political circumstances in Korea. You wouldn't join a co-op mission on Call of Duty so you can debate the consequences of environmental concerns.

RPN is for roleplaying. We have a general discussion section for gabbing about movies and tv shows, but ultimately, the site's intention is pretty clear. I say we just... let it be what it's meant to be :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back