Fixing Your Old Games

Kade

Fandom Fanatic
First, I should start by saying that perhaps waiting just a couple more days to make any big fixes in your threads would be beneficial. Just between this morning and tonight a lot of things were repaired on the site that would've saved me time yesterday if I'd just been a little more patient (ex. post and status activity feed is now all filled back in on your profile so you can find all your threads easily instead of the forever it took me to play scavenger hunt yesterday to track them down). 

If you still want to dive in and start trying to fix posts now to make them more legible in the interim, this is what I'd recommend:

1. Obviously send a support ticket in to get all your threads moved into the new gaming system. Once your game is live again, make sure you invite all your players into the game. 
  2. GMs. You can edit every single post in the thread. That means you can go back through and do the format edits yourself if you want to. But it's a lot of work. I would HIGHLY recommend you talk to your players and get them all onboard to make edits to their own posts. If everyone does their own, the fixes will go much faster. 
  3. For now (while we're waiting to see what other features are being restored/added to the site) I would recommend only fixing maybe the last two pages of posts. That's pretty much the max anyone needs to see when they're playing just to get their recap of where all the players are and what they're doing. It'll at least get your games flowing again. You can take your time to fix the rest later if you want to (aka, you have OCD like I do and therefore will get twitchy if the game thread isn't clean). Again, I would wait to do that until we see how the site improves so you save yourself from making manual fixes that may be automatic fixes later.
  4. When you decide how many posts you're going to fix (and by "fix" I mean make legible again with all their original basic text formatting such as font, color, alignment, italics, etc--none of the fancy coding, but it's still a good start), first go through the posts and simply click on "Edit" then immediately click on "Save." That will autocorrect all the text format coding, which is half the battle.

5. This autocorrect system will not -- IT WILL NOT -- divide your paragraphs for you where you originally had them. If you write long posts like I do, sucks to be you, but as of right now you have to go back through and just try to remember where your paragraph breaks were and recreate them.

6. There is also a lot of coding floating around that, as of right now, does not work. Because it doesn't work it's simply cluttering the text and making it difficult to read. You'll have to get rid of it. You can create new accordions and tabs if that's what you had going on in your original text, you can tinker with the tables button if you want to recreate your sides (which is what I did in the example below), there's probably someone floating around who knows how you can do background colors and stuff, but for the purposes of just getting your game running again, I would suggest just canning as much of the code as you can sacrifice and transfer it to regular text posts. The point is that you need people to be able to read what's happening in the story in order to keep playing, so remember to keep that as your priority.

7. Once you've edited out all the unnecessary code and replaced whatever you need to with tables or tabs or what have you, just hit "Save" again and everything will show up nice and clean for you and you can move on to the next post. And that's it!

View full tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

Back