FFBS and Sorcery

Djalan Pride

i can understand Flows like Blood working when you're in the middle of casting sorcery, attacks can pass harmlessly thru exalts dreamlike body and the like, but what about five fold bulkwark stance?  would moving to block interfere with the shaping of the sorcery?

There's no game mechanical reason for it to do so.

Non mechanical reasons would have to involve something interfering with the act of will that sorcery represents. As FFBS gives reflexive parries, I don't thinkit should interfere.

Remembe that, unlike other sorcery systems, correct posture, hand gestures and such aren't the key to Exalted sorcery. Rather, sorcery is all about will. As long as you're not dividing your attention, you should be able to pull off sorcery normally.

it contradicts itself a bit, and i'm not sure how i should run it.

here's how the pertinant info reads

"characters who asre shaping essence can do nothing but stand in place and worl magic as their action for the turn, they cannot move, split their dice pool to perform another action in addition to working magic, carry on conversations or gesture... can only use anima ability and dice actions provided by charms invoked earlier in the scene."  it then goes on to give flows like blood as an example.

core bood, pg. 216 under distractions header

i have a character who is approching this combo. never had to worry bout it before, but i'ld like to let the character know what he's in for.  how have any of you run it? has it been imbalnacing to allow it?

Isn't FLB scene-long? In that case it could have been invoked earlier in the scene. Where's the contradiction?

-S

Flows like blood makes sense, you dont even have to move to have it's effects take place.   i'm asking about Five Fold bulkwark Stance, you have to move to parry, if you cant even gesture to your buddy to kill that guy over there for ya, how can you swing a big shny stick to stop sombody's buddy from killing you?

can only use anima ability and dice actions provided by charms invoked earlier in the scene.
Seriously, there's your answer right there. My earlier comments should have answered your questions about gestures.

As for game balance, if Flow Like Blood doesn't imbalance things, 5fBS isn't going to either. Besides, Solars aren't meant to be balanced. They're meant to be Solars

I think any problem of this kind can be solved with the simple phrase "it's maaaaaagiiickkk" with a stylish wave of the fingers and such.  Sure, technically and logically you have to move to block attacks and that would seem to interrupt the ritual, but both situations involve magic here, and that transends all normal limitations.  I mean, I could sea a character standing still while a whirl of blocks moving too fast for the eye to see deflect attacks and such.

Why even do that? Just have the charm make the motions involved in spellcasting as part of the parry from 5FBS...

The Dragon-Blooded warrior ran unerringly towards the Anathema sorcerer, his jade goremaul trailing white sparks as he prepared to bring Le'at Mareis crashing down on the demon-spawn's head.

The foul Anathema had struck from ambush, his mark of servitude to the demons blazing as his Yozi-granted sorcery slew the rest of his group. However, the demon-spawn had gotten careless in its pride and arrogance, and failed to slay him as well. The sorcerer was even now seeking to remedy his error; though the warrior was no student of the Art, he knew the gestures of the Anathema as those which would turn his blood into liquid metal...if he were to finish.

A flare of Essence flew up from the warrior, as he swung Le'at Mareis at the demon-spawn, the goremaul growing large barbed spikes from its smooth, white surface. Just then, the sorcerer brought up his left hand slightly above his head to complete the Forty-Ninth Gesture Of Determination, the penultimate step to completing the spell--too late, snarled the warrior to himself--just as the leading spike of Le'at Mareis sped toward the demon-spawn's head. The warrior's roar of victory turned into a moan of horror and disbelief as the goremaul touched the Anathema's finger, and in a blaze of demonic yellow light--
bounced away.

Pain incomparable roared through his veins, then, until blessed death came.

Why even do that? Just have the charm make the motions involved in spellcasting as part of the parry from 5FBS...
 The Dragon-Blooded warrior ran unerringly towards the Anathema sorcerer, his jade goremaul trailing white sparks as he prepared to bring Le'at Mareis crashing down on the demon-spawn's head.

The foul Anathema had struck from ambush, his mark of servitude to the demons blazing as his Yozi-granted sorcery slew the rest of his group. However, the demon-spawn had gotten careless in its pride and arrogance, and failed to slay him as well. The sorcerer was even now seeking to remedy his error; though the warrior was no student of the Art, he knew the gestures of the Anathema as those which would turn his blood into liquid metal...if he were to finish.

A flare of Essence flew up from the warrior, as he swung Le'at Mareis at the demon-spawn, the goremaul growing large barbed spikes from its smooth, white surface. Just then, the sorcerer brought up his left hand slightly above his head to complete the Forty-Ninth Gesture Of Determination, the penultimate step to completing the spell--too late, snarled the warrior to himself--just as the leading spike of Le'at Mareis sped toward the demon-spawn's head. The warrior's roar of victory turned into a moan of horror and disbelief as the goremaul touched the Anathema's finger, and in a blaze of demonic yellow light--
bounced away.

Pain incomparable roared through his veins, then, until blessed death came.
Wow, not bad. Have you ever written any fiction for exalted? You seem to have a knack for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back