Fair Folk and Narnia

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
So I just went and saw the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe today.  Its been at least 13 years since I've read that book and as I was watching it I realized that the children were heroic mortals, and aslan and the witch were Fae.  This being in mind, since I dont totally understand the rules of shaping combat yet, what action would you say aslan's death is?  Is he voluntarially allowing himself to be incumbered for a time?   And when she turned the creatures to stone, was that a ring or sword attack?  Also, when edmund shatters the witch's staff was he vexing her or just breaking a shaping weapon?  One more side note: the endless winter seems to me a great example of the charm Crippling Destiny Burden, or am I totally wrong?

That's...an interesting interpretation for the setting, to say the least. A god for Aslan and a powerful thaumaturge/God-blood for the Witch would be less complicated, if not as intriguing.

Yes, but as you may know from answering my other post, I've recently inundauted myself with the FF book and I have shaping combat on the brain.  And while it makes it less confusing, well, bah, I'm playing a game that combines E:FF and D:tF

Well if you want to peg them as exalted then it seems to me that either the witch is a Fae (pre-E:FF release) or DB aspected to ice.  The ice on her head appears to have grown from it, not placed there, and Aslan is a lunar.  But these interpretations are too close to what the book is actually a metaphor for: Christ besting Satan, imo.   Viewing the entire setting of Narnia as a battle over a free-hold allows for some really nifty explinations of whats going on.   Of course, not all the parameters are necessarially satisfied.  For example, nothing seems to happen that would break the witch's cup grace thus allowing her heart to be shattered by Aslan's final attack.  Unless you decide the context of his resurrection was a cup attack.

Christ I'm a dork...

I was under the impression at the time that ALL the graces must be broken for the heart grace to be broken.  Then I read forging the sword grace charm so, apologies for that statement.  As it is it makes all the more sense now.  Several different points in the movie can be seen as assaults on the staff grace of the witch, the battle then breaks her sword, and summarially her heart.  And the ending of the winter seems to be a fairly effective ring assault.

I figured the whole story was a contest over the freehold.  Wouldn't the initial creating of winter be a ring assault, and then the ending of the winter would be aslans counter attack.  Or am I wrong.

It's a reasonable interpretation, based on just the first book.

If you take into account the events from 'The Magician's Nephew' (the sixth book in the series, but really the prequel), it's easier to view it as follows:

1) Narnia is created by Aslan, who then leaves it to its inhabitants.

2) The White Witch escapes her world and enters Narnia.

3) The White Witch takes over Narnia, and makes it a world of unending winter.

4) [Events from Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe]

That's why I see the winter as more than a shaping attack.

Well I guess you could look at it that way, but Aslan never leaves the world of Narnia.  He just goes away at times.  To the furthest east (or was it west) where YWH... I mean, the emperor, his father, rules.

I would think that Narnia (and possibly Archenland) would be the entirety of the freehold.

In 'The Horse and His Boy,' when prince Rabadash refers to the fall of the White Witch, he specified that the witch's winter only bound Narnia. Calormen, the neighboring country across the desert, was not affected; it is likely another freehold, ruled in theory by a succession of Emperors, but most likely controlled by the 'deity' Tash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back