east vs west in exalted

Eh. Fair enough. I just prefer to operate from the universality of martial arts that the writers-that-be of Exalted seem to be working from.

Eh. Fair enough. I just prefer to operate from the universality of martial arts that the writers-that-be of Exalted seem to be working from.
but there are some MA charms that are closed off to certain types. the only one i think of is in rightous devil style but if you can do one then maybe others as well.

Yes, yes, we've all heard this arguement. Righteous Devil, Pearl Courtsean and The Perfected Lotus are limited styles and I like it that way. Why does everyone complain that something isn't open to everyone? Be happy with what you have and quit bitching. I'm just a bit irritable at the moment, forgive me.

I just can't grasp why everyone complains, "Shit this isn't open to Solars/DBs/Lunars/Fae!"

Who cares?

Because MA, by definition, was written to be accessible on a Exalt-type neutral basis. Just like Sorcery.

They should have made those so-called 'MA' styles Exalt-specific charms (read: other abilities) and have done with it, instead of jumping on the MA fan-person train.

Because MA' date=' by definition, was written to be accessible on a Exalt-type neutral basis. Just like Sorcery.[/quote']
Not anymore as I understand it. Didn't one of the MA-style in 2nd. ed have parts that were specifically only permitted to be learned by Solars? And only Solars could develop new Charm for that style? Or am I dreaming this?

<minor edits for spelling>

I beleive they've changed it for 2nd Ed. I have to read it all still, I'm lazy, only been skimming the flavor text and not really the charms yet. But from what I see, we'll get a better answer in the Book of Esoteric Wisdom about MA styles.

2nd Ed modded it to compensate for the addition of Brawl charms, but the way things were presented in 1st Ed, the Solar-charm-requiring styles in the PG shouldn't have been designed that way.

Righteous Devil = Solar archery charms. Either that, or mod the Solar-only charm...

I'm still futxing with this idea.  It's not fully congealed yet.

Essentially what I want to do is take the Trinity of the Perfected Lotus away from Martial Arts entirely.  That you will need to have achieved cetain levels of the Trinity for certain styles will remain.  

The Charm access that is gained by each step, there will access to a number of Enlightened Charms for each Ability that are independant of the Charm sets for each type of Exalted.  Not giving Mortals access to Dragon Blooded Charms, nor Dragon Bloods access to Solar or Lunar Charms, nor allowing Solars to suddenly start monkeying with Fate or with Sidereal Charms, but still stepped up for each level of Enlightenment that is gained.  Each of the Exalted will have their unique abilities, but with each level of Trinity, you will get a certain bit of understanding of how the All works, and perhaps more than even the Gods are aware of.

This in effect will reflect a bit of the Eastern theme of Enlightenment--that each step on the Trinity is another step towards Transcendence.  It will also entirely remove the idea of Transcendence being linked to the ability to kick ass and take names through Martial Arts ability.

The Sidereals will still be starting off at the pinnacle, with their high end view of the Creation, the Heavens and how it all fits together, but, it also faces a bit of a qundary for the Sidereals and Enlightenment, as they can't learn more Charms than the ones they've been handed, save for Martial Arts, which means, effectively, despite their gift of sight and already high level of operation in understanding, the Sidereals, despite their gifts, will be prevented from ever Transcending themselves, just as rooted as the Gods are, though with a little more sight.

While the Sidereals will have full access to Sidereal Martial Arts, and all the monkeying around with Fate, they won't be able to learn any of the Enlightenment Charms, and thus won't be able to grow beyond what they are.  Which is a nice theme to work with, I think.  Vast power, little tiny living spaces, in a spiritual sense.

Which brings real Transcendence into the Realm of the Mortals, the Dragon Bloods, and the Solars.  And to be honest, I'm thinking very strongly about barring the Lunars from achieving the Blossoming of the Perfected Lotus, not because I want to keep Lunars from getting kewl Charms, but I think that thematically, it works for them to be so rooted in their own bodies, and that form of control, that they aren't going to be mentally equipped to step away from that and Transcend.

Dragon Bloods and Mortals will both be barred from learning Sidereal and Celestial styles of Martial Arts, unable to handle the power that is wielded at those levels, their frames not equipped to channel that kind of power, so game balance can still be maintained, even with a Transcended Mortal who is peering off from the Blossoming of the Perfected Lotus, and working like mad to escape from the Wheel, and see what's Beyond the Creation and the Heavens.

The Charms are less about crazy ass power than access to wicked Martial Arts ability, but I think paying homage to the original intent, you will still need to be initiated into the next step of the Trinity to practice Terrestrial Martial Arts as a Mortal, but even further Enlightenment won't allow a Mortal access Celestial or Sidereal Martial Arts.  

The Charms I'm chucking around right now are more based on understanding of how things work, a bit more in line with the Spheres from Mage, but much more focused, and around Abilities.  The idea being not giving folks access to bigger ways to blow stuff up, but more about putting things together, and seeing how things are linked.

*bump*

Looking for suggestions for the scope of Enlightened Charms for the Root of the Perfected Lotus, the Bulb of the Perfected Lotus, and the Blossoming of the Perfected Lotus.

Basically the same as MA, I'd say: effectively, exalt-neutral Charm trees, but instead for any Ability, not just MA. Root ones, like their MA counterparts, would be basic, direct, and effective but not terribly impressive. Bulb ones would be more powerful and clearly magical, each one centred around a particular philosophy.

And Blossoming ones would just be... out there. Mind-bending stuff. You know.

So, for example, a Root Charm tree would be just about, say, sharpening perceptions, boosting strength, or moving faster, all without the elemental associations and flavour that Exalted Charms have. A Bulb Charm tree, on the other hand, could be based on, oh, dreams, maybe... and would allow users to look into, manipulate, or maybe even travel through dreams. A Blossoming Charm tree would be about, uh... damn, I don't know. Freedom, or something like that.

Here are some sample Enlightenment Charms drafts, most don't have costs and requirements yet.  The following are all at the Root of the Perfected Lotus.

Sample Enlightenment Charms:

Archery

Archer’s Mind

Cost: 1 mote

Duration: Instant

Combo: Yes

Type: Supplemental

Minimum Archery: 2

Minimum Essence: 1

The archer makes the act of drawing bow and arrow as a meditation, and can perceive the conditions around her, and act accordingly.  She automatically adjusts to the conditions to give herself a an additional die to her Archery attack, or to Dodge an incoming with an increase of one die.

Athletics

Wise Body

Cost:

Type:

Duration:

Combo:

Minimum Athletics:

Minimum Essence:

The Enlightened is wise to the limits that his body possesses.  Armed with this knowledge, he may push himself to the extent of his limitations, adding an additional 2 die to any Athletics action, tapping reserves that have been hoarded.  This Charm may be used several times in the course of a Scene, but if used more than once, the Enlightened taxes those reserves, and takes 1 level of Bashing damage for each additional use of this Charm past the first.

Knowing the Space

Cost:

Type:

Duration:

Combo:

Minimum Athletics:

Minimum Essence:

The Enlightened realizes how the confines of space impact their performance, and attunes himself with the space nearby.  This allows the Enlightened Athlete to use the environment to its potential, finding hand holds, avoiding snares, pitfalls, and gracefully executing maneuvers without need for careful calculation of distance or consideration.  This effect adds 2 die to the Enlightened’s Athletic rolls for the scene, and additionally allows them an additional 2 die to all Dodge attempts for that scene, or Parries using the surroundings, such as side stepping a blade to allow a tree or low wall to take the attack instead of themselves.  

Bureaucracy

Beneficent Courtier Awareness

Cost:

Type:

Duration:

Combo:

Minimum Athletics:

Minimum Essence:

The Enlightened Bureaucrat knows that people drive a bureaucracy as much as paperwork.  By aligning his thoughts and actions to the situation, the Enlightened can instantly perceive who is most likely to be receptive to which method of attracting attention to get a single task accomplished, be it filing paperwork, finding figures, or finding who is most easily bribed.  This Charm allows the Enlightened Bureaucrat to add an additional 2 die to their attempts to perform one single task, but it may require days, if not weeks to perform completely.  The Charm only finds the most receptive of those who may be able to assist in the action, but can be thwarted by poor roleplaying, or actions on the part of the character that offend the official.  The Charm allows the Enlightened to find the most receptive to assist one, but it does not guarantee that the task will be easy, nor that the assist will be without some cost, only that the Enlightened fine the most receptive to assist.

Craft

Object of Ideal

Cost:

Type:

Duration:

Combo:

Minimum Craft:

Minimum Essence:

The Enlightened Crafter can use his Essence to guide his hands while creating an item, intuiting the ideal form, crafting not just the gross material of the object, but its spiritual as well.  Harmony flows from this action, and the item created is a reflection of the Heavenly ideal.  The act of Crafting becomes a meditation and correct action flows into the work. The Crafter may add two dice to his Craft attempt for each check that he makes while using this Charm, and can be applied several times during the creation process, so long as the Crafter has Essence.  

Dodge

Correct Dodging

Cost:

Type:

Duration:

Combo:

Minimum Dodge:

Minimum Essence:

The Enlightened not only see the action, but also the intent of the action.  The Enlightened don’t just follow the hand, but also the intent and will of the attacker, and may use their Essence to add to their Dodge.  

Fortuitous Placement

Cost:

Type:

Duration:

Combo:

Minimum Dodge:

Minimum Essence:

The Enlightened have a knack for minimum effort for maximum effect.  While the act of dodging can take defender out of harm’s way, it often does so at the cost of putting the defender into a position where a riposte or counter is untenable.  This Charm allows the Enlightened to avoid an attack by the barest of margins, being more of sidestep or even as small as lean from the center to avoid an attack, allowing the Enlightened to not give any ground when Dodging.

Martial Arts– At this level of understanding, one can practice Terrestrial styles of Martial Arts normally.

Melee

Mindful Attack

Cost: Varies

Minimum Melee: 2

The Enlightened fighter can charge their weapon with Essence to insure a solid blow.  For each mote of Essence that the player spends on this Charm, she may add one die to attack, but no more than double her regular Melee Ability–this does not include Specialties.

Thrown

Wise Blade

Cost: Varies

Minimum Thrown: 2

The Enlightened practitioner can perceive the flow of combat, and can loose his blade at the most opportune time.  For each mote of Essence spent, he may add one die to the attack, but no more than double his regular Thrown Ability–this does not include Specialties.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Suggestions?  By no means complete, but the drafts that I'm working with right now.

Knowing the Space
Cost:

Type:

Duration:

Combo:

Minimum Athletics:

Minimum Essence:

The Enlightened realizes how the confines of space impact their performance, and attunes himself with the space nearby.  This allows the Enlightened Athlete to use the environment to its potential, finding hand holds, avoiding snares, pitfalls, and gracefully executing maneuvers without need for careful calculation of distance or consideration.  This effect adds 2 die to the Enlightened’s Athletic rolls for the scene, and additionally allows them an additional 2 die to all Dodge attempts for that scene, or Parries using the surroundings, such as side stepping a blade to allow a tree or low wall to take the attack instead of themselves.
Sounds... somehow...

familiar...

:D

Safim--I was thinking of that at the higher levels.  At the Bulb of the Perfected Lotus, you're at basics.  Meditations that have to be entered.  It's the first step on the Perfected Path, and I don't want to give out superkewl cookies just because you've studied a little bit.  I want to make the system balanced, and not laden with powerful goodies just for the taking.

Jukashi--Great minds, eh? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back