dying rules question...

Dorin

Scenario: A character's damage boxes are all filled with bashing damage, except for the incapacitated box. The character then takes 1 box of lethal damage. Does the character die, or just get knocked out?

after she gets knocked out, what happens if she gets some more lethal damage? does the bashing disappear to make room for the lethal? and then she dies if the incapacitated box is marked lethal?

Yes, lethal always pushes down bashing, and aggravated pushes lethal.

Actually, one after incapacitated...then they're dying, and have a number of rounds left to live equal to their stamina (more damage can push this down as well)

shifty

The rules in the core book don't go fully into how this works very well.  You should read the errata on the Exalted home web page.  Basically, there is an "extra" set of health levels equal to the characters stamina.  When these are filled with bashing damage, that is when the character begins to die as if s/he had all health levels filled with lethal/aggravated damage.

If the character already has lethal/aggravated damage, they do not die instantly when forced into unconsciousness, nor do they bleed to death if they are Exalted, because wounds close themselves in that case.  For every level of damage taken, the number of rounds until death is reduced one-for-one.  Not hard to do, considering there will be no fighting back or defending whatsoever.

Let me get this straight:

I all a character's health levels are filled out with bashing and he gets a single level of L damage, what happens? As I see it he must sign off two L at the start of the health track. One for the level of damage recieved and one other for the bashing that is pushed down and thus start over as L.

Did I make a total mess of my argument or are you guys following me?

It's been a while since I've actually run into this situation, but IIRC, the character's dead.

-S

heyo

I think a single level of lethal/aggravated damage while unconscious will "kill" the character.  The character then has his Stamina in rounds until death unless further damage hastens it.

Example time!!

Gorbon the warrior pissed off about twenty or so gangmembers in a bar.  He is intoxicated, Exalted, and already has three levels of bashing from a brawl leaving him at five levels available until Incapacitated.  Gorbon forgot his weapon at the inn and manages to kill seven gangmembers before he is knocked unconscious through various improvised weapons.  He took two lethal from a dagger first, and four bashing after caused by various fists and feet.  His stamina is at a rating of four and will begin to die if he takes three more bashing levels OR a single level of lethal/aggravated.

He is now unconscious and will wake in maybe four hours.

His dagger wound does not bleed, because Gorbon willed it to close (a free Stamina roll/action).  However the gangmembers are pretty pissed and one decides to cut his throat.  Gorbon has two rounds to live if he doesn't choke on his own blood first.  Nothing save magical assistance will bring him back.  Unfortunately, the Unconquered Sun doesn't like drunkards and was getting a sweet blowjob at the time of this incident and thus, wouldn't bother to interfere... not that he does much anyways.  Gorbon dies, and his legacy left is merely a very hard to remove blood stain on the floor of the tavern.  The maid at the inn sells his daiklave for a second and third point in Resources.  She lives happily ever after as a skanky high class whore for the local gang.

THE END

Re: heyo

PartisanGerm said:
The character then has his Stamina in rounds until death unless further damage hastens it.
Wel, yeah. I figured that was assumed.

-S

How has this been ruled in 2E, BTW? (6 ticks per dot of Stamina?) Anyone know?

-S

It says they remain inactive, but suffers an additional unsoakable lethal level every combat action...not quite sure what that means, but it sounds a little too quick...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back