• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom [Dawn of Justice] Midnight Exchange

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Recompense

pasted image 0 (1).png

Recompense started to lower Howl to a sitting position against the train car, deciding that her just collapsing would not be the best, when she heard the cars pulling up. She glanced at them for a moment before confirming that the werewolf was as comfortable as she could be. Once the task was completed, she turned to the blue man, eyeing him up and down before saying, "Howl's most likely been poisoned, possibly a neurotoxin. I think it's the gal's quirk that did it. Watch out when you're taking her in, even with a broken arm and leg I think that she can still do some damage. But more importantly, make sure Howl gets medical attention. I deadened the pain, but she's still hurting."

She glanced over at Valentine as he walked over before looking down at Howl once more. Her attention was suddenly all on The Appraiser when he said their reason for being there, however. Her head snapped towards him, her eyes fixed as she stared in complete and utter astonishment. "You came here... and made sure everyone, including the villains knew that your favorite music was Jazz... FOR AN UNLICENSED?" Her voice rose to a roar on that last note, her body filled with rage for the man in front of her.

"You messed up what I have been planning for months for that? No fucking wonder you didn't even give two shits to check if your phone was on silent! I have half a mind to punch your fucking lights out, kid!
" She turned and stared to head into the area filled with shipping crates, still yelling over her shoulder as she got out every bit of anger she could. "These people aren't here twiddling their fucking thumbs because they fucking want to. They are genuine scum, and the fact that you ruined everything on such flimsy info, not even getting more than that, is fucking pathetic. We lost their buyer because of you two, and you better be happy that their buyer didn't decide to just go straight for their fucking 'cargo', you absolute fucking asshole!"

Normally she wouldn't have been this livid, but when she finally got to the crate she could feel their cargo was inside and broke the lock, her anger was understandable. In front of her was a load of kids to young adults. They didn't seem to have had the best living conditions, as shown by the smell and even just the look of them. Seeing it made her stomach wrench, but she stood firm. She glanced around before letting out a single sigh. She got to one knee to be on eye level with some of the kids closer to them before saying, "Don't worry, we're heroes. We're here to help." She said it in both Japanese and English to make sure that she got the point across, making sure none of her previous rage, nor her revulsion at how someone could treat kids like this, entered her voice.​

1676666717133.png
Sasha could no longer hold her werewolf form, and reverted back to her human self, fur becoming tanned, scarred skin as she limply sat in the propped up position Recompense sat her in. Brick had managed to fracture her mask in the shoulder charge, and the vigilante could see the messy, bloody, and equally scarred face of The Huntress Hero, Howl.

A single cerulean eye peeking out from a half lidded gaze, and looking at the masked figure. It was all she could do just to move her eye, everything else simply wouldn't listen. She felt locked within her own body, and it was a different kind of pain than she was used to. The sound of cars and noise giving way to the familiar gravitas of Faustus' voice as he entered the scene.

She was unable to see him from her position, but felt better knowing The Pack had arrived. She could also hear Valentine and barely see her speaking with The woman that helped her in the fight, something Val said setting her off as she shouted and several more of the pack started to surround the encounter with Faustus moving toward Howl. There was nothing Howl could do, but listen as it seemed Recompense had been planning this for months, but...did that mean she also let the hostages suffer for months without tipping anyone off?

She struggled against the toxin, but could do nothing about it. The momentary defiance and anger she felt from what Recompense said only belittled by the bitterness of their accuracy and it was like...he was shouting those words. She had been conflicted her entire hero career, on what was stronger within her: Hatred for her enemy, or love for her kin. Any chance she got to fight villains, she always took and had been one of the many reasons she had jumped up in the leaderboards, but the saving lives part? that was always, subconsciously, secondary. A quality of her quirk, something she always wrestled with...but it's not she knew her struggle anyways. She was just angry, and that's all it ever was. Anger

"You look like hell boss, more than usual" Faustus said as he leaned down and hoisted her up with the help of Aldjier, one of her more recent sidekicks. Howl only grunting as her arms were hoisted over their shoulders, taking her to an Ambulance that pulling up, siring whirring.

She forced Faustus to detour momentarily, watching Recompense release the hostages. A sight that made her sick, and only cemented her line in the sand. This hero was brave, but cowardly. She'd rather wait and watch these atrocities happen-She could feel herself stirring again and had to stop as it was misguided anger. She'd likely be dead if it weren't for her.

She was going to have to hunt for this 'buyer' then.

The Appraiser
Valentine.jpg
Valentine ran his hands through his hair as the military woman went off on him. But when he saw her open the cargo container and letting the hostages out, he knew she was right. He recognized one of the men leaving the container as the unlicensed he was sent to find. Sighing he stood up and hobbled over to Howl, taking a seat next to her. "Sorry, I got you mixed up in this, boss. I fucked up. I should have gathered more intel before bringing you into the field. I didn't expect any of this."

The sound of sirens can be heard in the distance as the police finally begin to arrive on the scene. Valentine makes his way to the vigilante in one last attempt to extend an olive branch. "Look, I know we fucked up your operation, but what would you have done if we hadn't shown? You plan on fighting all three of them and the buyer yourself?" He holds out his card. "I don't expect you to call over just anything, but if you ever need back up, I want to help. I promise it'll be on silent from now on."

Recompense

pasted image 0 (1).png

Recompense ushered those inside out, forcing herself to keep calm as she listened to the sirens in the background. She turned to him when he asked his question, stating in a much calmer tone, "To be honest with you, I was planning on calling the cops the instant the buyer showed up. I would get license plates, pictures, as much info as I could, and then if I had to, I would stall. While it would be difficult, stalling is probably where I thrive the most, and with those three's abilities, the only true threat in a head on fight for me would be the gun, if he aimed for my chest instead of my leg. Hell, I don't even think the poison would put me down completely like it did Howl. Nothing against her, but she just faced someone who countered her power. I don't think it would be the same case for me."

She looked at the crooks, her teeth gritting as she thought about everything that had happened before her body finally fully relaxed. "Well... I guess there's no use crying over spilled milk anymore." She took the card from him, checking it over and lightly running a hand over the paper, as if making sure that there wasn't anything fishy about it.. "I hope you don't mind if I don't give you my own card. For one, I don't have one, and for another, I don't think I can trust you with personal info like that just yet." She stashed the card in her pocket, a small sigh escaping her lips. "Well, I better go. I did what I needed to, and I don't think the cops will care even if I did help those guys." She started walking away, but as she did so she called back, "Make sure those kids get all the help they need. I trust you can be heroic in that way, at least."

Keiyō Industrial Zone
11:00 p.m.
1677476507827.png

The sirens of the ambulances and the trauma recovery vehicles faded into the background as Valentine limped back towards his car. He's gotten patched up in one of the ambulances on the scene before they left. The bullet had passed straight through his leg, but he had to get a few quick stitches. He had lied and said he had someone to drive him, just to get out of the vehicle. Hospitals and ambulances were never his scene, though he'd have to pay the boss a visit, in the next couple days. Maybe after he got that image framed for her. He took one last look around the building before he left it's line of sight. Hell of a night to get mixed up in a mess like this.

Newt and Slim were taken out unconscious in ambulances, while Bricks squeezed into the back of a police cruiser. He denied having anything to do with the captives, claiming they were just there loitering. Only time and the justice system would determine what became of them. Valentine had to explain what happened to the police, being the only coherent witness to the events. He left out the part about letting the vigilante get away, but made sure to expound on how essential to their success she was, though it did little to appease the cops.

Reaching his car, he pulled the carpet square off the barbed wire and drove home. The night was a win, but it didn't exactly feel like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back