Courtesy: A guide to RPnation etiquette.

ninbinz

Master of Malign Maladies
Hello one and all, this is your friendly ninbinz here with some helpful tips when making or joining an RP (Roleplay). Now the inspiration for this guide came about as some of our RPers (Roleplayers) tend to have problems when making or joining RP's (Roleplays). They often feel as though their efforts have gone to waste, or their ideas have been ignored within the course of an RP.

(Disclaimer: I am not or probably will never be an authority on RPnation, writing, grammar and punctuation, these are simply my thoughts to help the wonderful people who inhabit the Multiverse of RPnation.)

So here goes:

• First and most importantly, all members of RPnation should adhere to the rules (MUST OBEY THE LAW!!) not just because it is required of you but because it is a courtesy to all members and will help foster goodwill between each and every one of us (I promise I didn't mean to preach).

• Being polite no matter if you are in Shoutboxlandia or one of the many universes of RPnation. Now there are exceptions to the rule, Sassy Susan's and Jovial Johnathan's are more than welcome, there's nothing we like better than a good LOL or ROFL (I lie, we like great RP's), character is often the spice of life but do not take it too far.

• Grammar and literacy are important, no one likes decyphering a jumbled block of misspelled text.

• Be helpful, everyone needs a helping hand every now and then.

• Recently I have seen a few moments when the Mods have had to crack down upon certain members with hammers of iron and cosmic power. Do not be an ass (forgive the French) and accuse them of being power hungry, especially after several warnings to cease and desist your erroneous actions. If you have issue with the ruling then you are free to send the Mod or Mods a PM with your argument otherwise take the punishment like a baws or badass or person with a beard and move on.

Here are a few pointers for people making an RP:

• Engulf yourself in the world you are creating or adding to (for Fandoms), there's nothing better than reading through a well thought out premise and finding a world that is rich, vibrant and filled to the brim with your own special brand of imagination (cue rainbows accompanied by wide eyes and gratuitous hand gestures).

• Be concise and precise with your expectations/standards/rules, there is nothing worse than signing up for an RP to find that after you have signed up for it you were expected to post a certain amount.

[example]

Rules:

-Obey the Site Rules (Or The Dark Wizard and his horde of ravenous Admins/Mods will swoop down and deal ULTRA MEGA DAMAGE!!!)

-Post a minimum of 3-4 paragraphs per post with the exception of 1 paragraph when you cannot make a large post due to other conditions (like being sick or having limited access to the internets).

-You are expected to be literate (or semi literate) when posting.

-This thread (Sign Up or the actual RP) is for CS's (Character Sheets/Skeletons) only please do not post IC (In Character), OOC (Out Of Character) here.

[/example]

(Work in progress)

Tips and hints for those wishing to join an RP:

• READ THE RULES!!!! There are a mountain of questions answered when you do this much at least.

• FOLLOW THE RULES!!! Rules are not for nothing, do not ignore them and insult the efforts made by the RP's GM (General/Game Moderator).

• READ THE PREMISE!!!! Not only is it courteous and polite but how else will you know what the RP is about? A planet worth of questions are answered when the Premise is read.

• Reciprocate the GM's effort with your own, there is nothing worse than spending hours, days and even weeks or months trying to create an expansive and well thought out world only to have applicants do less than the bare minimum. You are creating a person just as detailed as the setting and infinitely more powerful, you are creating a font or incarnation of your creativity, do not insult the GM and others with a threadbare character.

• Try your best to be as active as you can in that RP, no one wants an RP to die let alone hold up everyone else because you didn't want to post (Outside influences not withstanding).

When RPing:

• Follow the rules

• Be Creative

• Be active

• Be polite

• Read everyone's post, don't ignore people because their posts may be too long or too short, it is not nice when you are being ignored just because others can't be bothered to read.
  • Don't overload yourself with so many RP's that you find yourself swamped (I myself am addicted to making characters). But, don't just sign up to one (unless you're really busy), try two or maybe even three.
  • Don't stick to one genre, you might be inexperienced in certain genre's but there's no better time to learn how to broaden your writing horizon, you never know, you could stumble upon a gem that'll make you fall in love with the genre.

When in Shoutboxlandia (Shoutbox/Chatbox):

• If you are new, introduce yourself, engage in whatever topic you please but make sure (and I must reiterate, follow the rules.) that you are polite since first impressions can mean a lot. The locals (Members who spend A LOT of time in the shoutbox) are a friendly and eclectic bunch of people, you are sure to find someone with who you can connect and identify with.
  • For you locals (myself included); I know I don't really need to ay because you peeps are awesome in your own rights but do try to help our fledgeling members who've fluttered their way to our shores
  • For all members: Try to keep positive, being a downer can bring everyone to a low level but luckily we have outstanding members who will try to cushion your sadness and bounce you back up with glomps, hugs, snugs and a myriad of other things to help you back up. In short, we care.
  • When advertising your RP or someone else' RP, keep a link handy for those interested, give a small summary as to what your RP is about but do not pester people. It's not great being forced into an RP, especially when you feel obligated (NOT referring to myself!!).

(I am sorry if this seems like a rant, I didn't mean it to be. This thread is simply meant to help the members of RPnation get along just a little bit better.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. Can I just second the "be active" suggestion ;_; Nothing breaks my heart more as a GM then investing time and energy into something I created, then having people apply, respond once or twice and then never look at it again. Figuratively speaking, these thoughts and concepts are my babies... and it's sort of like offering to babysit for me, then leaving my kid at he zoo, alone... -_- If you can't take the time to write at LEAST once every few days, then don't join. It's really that simple. I mean... what is the point of filling out a character sheet and making an introduction if you aren't going to respond beyond that? I realize there are of course exceptions. We all go through writer blocks or get a little busy with real life, but in the end no one held a gun to your head and told you to join up, so if you made the decision, make the effort to follow through. I'm patient, and I'm understanding, but I detest having to edit out a character or an entire chunk of storyline (especially if I went to the trouble of making someone for you to interact with X_X) because someone went MIA.

And above all... if for some reason you absolutely can't, due to unforeseen circumstances, continue with a storyline or respond for a good chunk of time... PM the GM...Don't just leave them hanging to figure it out on their own. It's frustrating, having to hunt people down :(

I don't see this as a rant at all. If anything a good chunk of this should be put out into the real world for all the other RPers who aren't on this website. xD

This is extraordinarily helpful, thank you so much for writing this!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back