• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Controversy <Teddy>

Keksi

Cookie Queen :)
"The year 2077 is projected to not be a good one for American citizens. Still at the height of racism and segregation, tension between blacks and whites raise as daily reports of lynchings, violent protests, and torturous deaths rise from each side. The once "Great Nation" is torn apart by riots, promoting separation and withdrawal from mixing with other races. It is speculated that immigration is at an all-time low due to the lack of safety and worries that there is no safety in sleep; only the fear of having your throat slit or children taken and hanged in the tree of your front yard. Both sides have caused wrong, both have been victims, yet there seems to be no end to America's wound that was reopened nearly 60 years ago."
-Alina Müller of Europe's Neutral News

The words echo in the heads of the two in the otherwise empty kitchen. A father and a daughter. To look at the father, one would see gentleness etched into the creases around his eyes; a face without hate. A frown was permanently wrinkled into the skin around his lips from reading the news aloud every morning from a news source distanced from the fray of the States. The only way to see both sides was to do look at it this way, or read both The White Daily and Black Swan. Both bend the events of the day to fit to their reader's liking, but when pieced together the picture is clearer. However, even if he were to walk into a white-run drugstore, he would not be able to purchase the paper unless overcharged with fees of money, mockery, and bruises.

As for the girl, she becomes uncomfortable but wishes to speak out without consequence in a racially charged environment. She only unpacks her feelings on race or questions about her mother with her father, even at 18. No one at school particularly enjoys her company, the teachers dismiss her because she doesn't devour their prejudices against whites like everyone else. Keeping thoughts to herself, she knows she withdraws from and despises those who hate based off skin color. She sees herself as neither singularly black nor white; perhaps just a shade of gray who wishes to live in the shadows of a terrible age.

Sunlight crept through the large windows of the house, as Ulysses headed downstairs from his bedroom. A chipper tune could heard from the television set in the living room. “Today we’re looking at a hot one here folks. A high 77 degrees from noon, onwards leading too a nice cool night of 55 degrees. Now here’s Larry Patterson with highlights from yesterday’s football game.” The meteorologist was uncomfortably happy, feeling almost forced with their large pearly white grin.

The young blonde haired boy paid zero attention to the TV, rolling his eyes towards his father who seemed engrossed. The news stayed away from broadcasting what wasn’t truly happening in the country. Pretending as if there wasn’t a current divide across the nation. It was frustrating for Ulysses to see his parents believe everything they watched on TV. It was practically brainwashing them on how they should think, act, or feel about change in society. Ulysses knew better, itching to tell them that were sheep, but he would never do it.

Growing up, Ulysses didn’t get into much trouble, living a pretty average life. He never stood on anyone’s toes, nor did he try to cross the line. Although they didn’t teach tolerance in school, Ulysses never had an issue with other races coexisting. He seen everyone as people, regardless of what they looked like. Standing in the walkway of the living room, Ulysses leaned against the wall as the news continued on.

Her father raised his reading glasses to the top of his head. "The hate... It's not going to suddenly end, but I'm glad you've grown up seeing both sides. It's a lot more than your classmates will ever understand."

Right. She was alone in this. No one else held her views except her father, but not even he understood what it was like to carry such a secret that could earn hate from both of the major races. Kadrea stood and gathered their bowls, then took them to the sink. As she rinsed them out, she looked up at her father and offered a weak smile. "At least I have you, Dad. Soon enough I'll be through with high school; I'll be able to get a respectable job, and maybe we can move away from here." That was their shared dream. Her father smiled back warmly, then dismissed her to get changed and ready for school.

Kadrea went to her room and snatched her smart phone off her dresser, then loaded up a chat with one of her internet friends. The internet was the only place where she could talk to people without worrying that her words would be judged based on appearance. If someone asked her about her race on the internet, they weren't worth talking to because that was a red flag of someone looking for a cheap label to pin on her. "Morning Taylor! Ready for another boring day of school?" The two had been talking for a couple of years, and over that time, she discovered they were in the same grade, a couple states apart. Otherwise, she didn't know too much beside some random little facts that he had mentioned about himself.

Once the news broadcast changed to another program, Ulysses made his way to the fridge. Unsure of what he wanted to eat, the young boy pulled out a box of frozen waffles. Not the best choice, but they were easy to make. The sound of someone getting up off the couch could be heard from the living room. Ulysses sighed, not wanting to have to talk to his parents since everything they said was frustrating.

Ulysses’ father slowly walked into the kitchen with his cane in hand. The poor man got into a bad working accident, blaming a certain group of individuals. Now he remains bitter, blaming everyone for everything; and it drives Ulysses crazy. “Don’t you have school today?” His father asked in a raspy tone. Taking a few steps forward, he stopped at the kitchen counter, leaning against it.

Ulysses gave a fake smile towards his father, when really he was annoyed. “Yeah, I’m just making breakfast before I leave.” He said, feeling a slight vibration in his pants pocket from his smartphone. A genuine smile then appeared on his face, because it was his longtime online friend Maya. ‘Hey! Yeah, I can’t wait to spend a whole eight hours bored to death.’ Letting out a small laugh as he sent the message. Although they never met, the friendship still felt real.

The girl was in the process of looking through her drawers for the desired color of shirt she wanted to wear, when the soft whisper of a notification caused her attention to be drawn to the mobile device. The corners of her lips curled upwards with an amused grin. "Lucky us! But hey, you could try to learn something! Fill that dusty space in your head with totally new, never before heard, boring information!" Her sarcasm was strong because school always caused her to feel bitter, much like moldy cheese that's aged forever; only few enjoyed its taste. Kadrea could count the number of teachers who took her work seriously on one hand.

After a momentary pause of staring at the shirts in the open drawer, she sent a follow-up message: "Remember, you could always text me." She reminded him, almost wishing their distance was not so far apart.

Almost.

But that would mean exposing herself. Even though their friendship had been ongoing for awhile, opinions of race had been kept hidden in the closet; too taboo to speak of. No matter what Taylor was, their races differed. It was a matter of looking at mixed versus pure. Even if she and her father were the only ones who knew, the strain and worry of someone finding out was there, and she had no intentions of ruining her friend's life because of it.

Last edited:
Taking the waffles out of the box, Ulysses paitently waited as his food heated up in the microwave. Feeling his phone vibrate again, he checked the notification letting out a small chuckle. ‘What more could I learn? I’m already the smartest guy in the world.’ Sending the sarcasm right back, a slight smirk appeared on the side of his lip. After a few minutes, the microwave beeped that it was finished. The sweet smell of waffles filled the kitchen.

‘Of course, I know that. You’re the only one keeping me sane around here. Even though you’re millions of miles away.’ Sending his message, Ulysses was trying to keep the mood lighthearted. The distance was a problem with them, never being able to put a face to his friend. The slightest thought of her looking different never crossed his mind, that it was unimportant. She was his friend, and that’s all that mattered.

After eating only one of his waffles, Ulysses raced out the door before the school bus arrived, waving his father goodbye. When the bus arrived, Ulysses walked towards the back with a couple of his friends. Two Caucasian boys, one with short brown hair, the other with curly black hair. “Hey guys. What’s up?” He smiled towards them, taking the very last seat on the bus, looking out the window.

Shaking her head, Kadrea chuckled and sent another message. "Ha! You could learn how to he humble! Oh, come on Taylor. The world isn't that big; at least we're in the same country." She quickly finished changing, slung her backpack over her shoulder, then slid her phone into her back pocket. She briskly exited her room, then called out to her father as she left the house, "See ya later, Dad!"

With that, she was off. Luckily, the school was a little less than a mile away from her house, so it wouldn't take long for her to get there. Kadrea's walk was as brisk as the weather that instantly nipped at her cheeks. She pulled her hood up and stuffed her hands into the pockets of her sweatshirt. The wind blew loose leaves away while she stepped onto some of the orange and red leaflets, crunching them into place on the sidewalk.

Her favorite time of the year was approaching. Soon, the world around her would be covered in beautiful, white powder. There would be a two week break from school, which she highly anticipated, and ironically, it would be the time of the year when hearts warmed and protests lessened, almost ceasing.

Paying little attention to his friends, Ulysses was more focused on the messages that popped on his phone. Letting out a small laugh, his fingers quickly typed out his message before his friends could ask questions. 'Last time I checked, this country was going to hell in a handbasket. Do you think I want to be stuck with some of the mouth breathers here?' The message sounded harsh, but it did represent how he felt. Although not everyone was that bad, it didn't mean they were perfect either. Ulysses didn't feel like he belonged with everyone else, especially the ones he went to school with. However, his friends were tolerable, just not all the time.

Ulysses school was predominately Caucasian, with the occasional minority here and there. Of course with the division that was happening in the country, it only got harder for them to attend school. Ulysses noticed it a lot more as of lately but chooses to stay out of it. Even with his strong opinions, it wasn't going to change how people treated each other. Thus he escapes to his friends online. The bus ride was a relaxing twenty-minute drive, which gave Ulysses enough to maybe get a nap in. 'If we do meet each other, would you be okay if I had antennas? Cause I totally do, and my skin is blue too. I forgot to mention that part.' Sending the message, he smiled at his own joke, then put his phone into his pocket.

Despite the quickening of her heart, she still felt dismayed and reluctant to smile at his joke. 'I shouldn't overthink so much,' she scolded herself. There would probably never be a chance to meet him. Even if he was kind and didn't mind her appearance, someone else would. A family member, friend, or passerby could report them for mixing and sharing a friendship. Her skin tone wasn't as fully dark as most African American's, it was a bit lighter, mostly noticeable when around her peers or her father. All of her worries clashing in her mind had little say over her desire to return the happiness and lighthearted feelings to her friend, so she replied: "Blue is a great color! May I call you 'The Blue Buffoon'? Or does that offend you? I think that meeting would be fine, as long as you're careful. Someone is always looking to criticize, especially blue people. It's just you being special."

She didn't like entertaining the thought of leaving her father. Perhaps there was an opportune time in the year to meet? But when? Winter break and Halloween were approaching, but would that be too soon? She took her eyes off her phone and sighed, spotting her school about two blocks away. Perhaps it wouldn't be horrible to get away from the beast that pressured her worldview daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back