[Closed] [5e] The Lost Journal of the Sea King)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lughaidh

LOO-ee

Title: The Lost Journal of the Sea King

Game: D&D 5e

Player Count: 1 player (to add to existing group)

Description: After a sudden mysterious attack during the midst of a storm wrecked your ship you find yourself stranded on a small unknown island somewhere in the vast Gilded Sea. This is a Survival, Adventure, Mystery, Sea-faring (?) game. The beginning of what could be a long-running campaign. Game takes place in a (mutable) homebrew world that the players have a hand in creating.

Character Creation: Write a character backstory for a 5th level character. A character sheet won't be needed for application. I’m allowing multiple applications per person (limit 2).

House Rules/Game Style: Roughly 60/40 roleplay and combat.

Other: Character will be selected entirely on backstory. I'm not concerned with balancing classes (though I will tell you privately if you pick the EXACT class-archetype as an existing character). I'll be using the backstory as a sample of your writing. Essentially, I'm looking for the same quality as what is expected for CoS games.

Last edited:
Malmoun Atoll, a human Moon Druid:

---

“And on the twelfth day, when you spot the island on the horizon, then will you eat the herbs. As you feel the first touch of their effect on your mind, remove the tiller from your ship, unstep the mast, and sink both to the bottom of the sea. Make yourself into whatever sea creature pleases the day and swim for the land. There you will live for the next revolution of this sphere, passing the moons as one or another of the beasts you meet. The island will provide. You will climb its trees, rest in its grottos, taste its fruit.”

“When the time has passed—you will know the day—find your way back to us, and we will discuss the next stage.”

These final memories of a human named Mal Nightwinter—somehow the antecedent to Malmoun Atoll—they wash over him in dreams, just before waking for the morning hunt. Sometimes they rise to consciousness in the soft, fleshy transitions between his true forms. Time has changed, the world has changed, he has changed.

And now, many moons later, these assorted memories become more frequent, with stronger scent. Pieces of other humanoids protrude—family, friends, a lover, other shapechangers like himself, a teacher, an order. Is this the day foretold in those memories? Is it time for his return?

There are changes on the island now too. Malmoun the spider monkey finds damp beams of wood on the beach; corpses, blood. Malmoun the boar avoids familiar cave—too many uncertain sounds and odors there. But when the cave is empty, it’s easy for Malmoun the wild dog to follow those scents into the shelter of the trees.

---

[I am able to post frequently, usually multiple times a day]

OK, thank you all for your submissions. I’ve made my selection after a lot of thought. These characters were all so good and it was a difficult pick. If you were selected I’ll be messaging you in discord soon. If not, thank you again for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back