Research - Development and Theory

DignifiedRain

Building Character Since 1993
As the titles suggests, These are just a few things I have taken into consideration while developing my Roleplay system Chalice. I thought it could provide some unique insight into Real life studies that might make you a better roleplayer.

Understanding Character

Lets talk about Myers-briggs and the 16 Type Descriptions.

Early on in my research for character development I was encouraged to read the works of Isabel Briggs Myer as well as Countless other authors. I'll be talking about the MBTI (Myer-Briggs Type Indicator) for the most part. Another very important person to name here is C. G. Jung.

MBTI - "The purpose of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) personality inventory is to make the theory of psychological types described by C. G. Jung understandable and useful in people's lives. The essence of the theory is that much seemingly random variation in the behavior is actually quite orderly and consistent, being due to basic differences in the ways individuals prefer to use their perception and judgment." - The Myers & Briggs Foundation

I think this is a good time to make mention of this "Theory of Multiple Intelligence" "The Theory of Multiple Intelligence is a theory of intelligence that differentiates it into specific (primarily sensory) 'modalities', rather than seeing intelligence as dominated by a single general ability" - Wiki. As The Myers & Briggs Foundation was talking about Perception - I'll talk about this later If I remember to come back to it.

Lets talk about my MBTI, and who "I am". I just want to throw this out there before I continue- Employers use these methods when having you answer pre-employment methods! Bastards!- I Digress. I have been classified as ENFP.

Extravert(6%) iNtuitive(19%) Feeling(16%) Perceiving(16%)

You have slight preference of Extraversion over Introversion (6%)

You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (19%)

You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (16%)

You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (16%)

"ENFPs are both "idea"-people and "people"-people, who see everyone and everything as part of a cosmic whole. They want to both help and to be liked and admired by other people, on both an individual and a humanitarian level. This is rarely a problem for the ENFP, as they are outgoing and warm, and genuinely like people. Some ENFPs have a great deal of zany charm, which can ingratiate them to more stodgy types in spite of their unconventionality." - They called me stodgy... I am not dull I swear. >.<'

I ripped this right out of my PAID report. There are many FREE alternatives for those interested. But, I was a sucker and didn't know better. The report is very detailed and would take PAGES for me to share it all. I have also taken this test twice on different days to see if personal daily baggage would change the result... NOPE! I am ENFP!

16 behavior types

Extraverted Sensing Thinking Judging - ESTJ

Extraverted Sensing Thinking Perceiving - ESTP

Extraverted Sensing Feeling Judging - ESFJ

Extraverted Sensing Feeling Perceiving - ESFP

Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging - ISTJ

Introverted Sensing Thinking Perceiving - ISTP

Introverted Sensing Feeling Judging - ISFJ

Introverted Sensing Feeling Perceiving - ISFP

Extraverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging - ENTJ

Extraverted iNtuitive Thinking Perceiving - ENTP

Extraverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging - ENFJ

Extraverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiving - ENFP - Me

Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Judging - INTJ

Introverted iNtuitive Thinking Perceiving - INTP

Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging - INFJ

Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiving - INFP

This isn't one of those "Whats my life destiny path" or "What Disney character am I" sort of studies. This is documented science and people have done THOUSANDS of studies using these ideals. Psychology students will study this heavily on their way to becoming a therapist. Though, its still theory.

I bring all of this up as Character Theory. Each of these behavior types have sub categorizes that would better define what characteristics one might show in this behavior type. I want to encourage each and every one of you to look into this on a personal level. As Isabel Briggs Myers said "It is up to each person to recognize his or her true preferences."

Again, Perception comes up- Recognition. This drags us over to Theory of multiple Intelligence-

IMPORTANT NOTE:

There is no way I could possibly write about EVERYTHING to do with these theories. These go far beyond what I am talking about. This is a field of study... I am simply relating some of this back to roleplay mechanics and character development.

Every RP system has some take on this theory, Knowing it or not. The break down of each Character Attribute has direct reflections.

Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma. - Pathfinder, Dungeons and Dragons and countless others-

And not just core attributes. Skills as well.

The 9 Intelligence

Musical-rhythmic and harmonic

Visual - spatial

Verbal - linguistic

Logical - Mathematical (Reasoning)

Bodily - Kinesthetic

Interpersonal

Intrapersonal

Naturalistic

Existential

Each are described in full here. - Theory of multiple intelligences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do yourself a favor and at least read about them.

I may have lost my train of thought while typing this. The main point of all this was to give you some insight and help you to understanding some of the base fundamentals of these Theories and how they WILL make you a better roleplayer. Hell, you might even learn something about yourself along the way!

If you have any questions please, please ask! I would love to talk to you more about your Type as well as providing any further information on how knowing any of this could benefit you as a player.

All drafts of my System, have taken these theories into consideration while developing- Races, Skills, Talents, and even the Base Characteristics of EVERY player. You can find more information on my developing system in the Works in progress section!

Now... Lets talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
My High School used MBTI for suggesting possible future careers for students. I remember being INFP. (Admittedly, much like the "What Disney Character Am I," MBTI is a self reported survey.)

I was really into the 4 Temperament Personality Model, (Choleric, Phlegmatic, Melancholic, Sanguine,) as well, in High School. Phlegmatic seemed to really fit me.

I personally like Big 5 Personality Traits (Openness, Conscientiousness, Extroversion, Agreeableness, Neuroticism). It's based largely upon research results rather than theory and I find it easier to get a handle on characters with it.

I'm kinda confused by the utility of the 9 Intelligences, as it seems to just be saying "Different people are good at different things."

glowworms said:
Awesome feed back and input - have a cookie!

Really, I had to look at the 9 intelligence at a different angle to really apply it to Character development. I was looking at each as a part of the one mind. It took a while to relate each to a specific character attribute- but I was able to do it. And, in hindsight I should have probably suggested the Big 5 instead. Though, simplified I feel that its easier to understand.

"The Big Five personality traits, also known as the five factor model (FFM), is a widely examined theory of five broad dimensions used by some psychologists to describe the human personality and psyche." - Wiki

All still theory though. I really enjoyed the breakdown in the MBTI research. I paid for a MBTI test and to have it broken down to me by a professor of the field. It was a truly unique experience. I since have found many free consultation websites and self reported surveys. >.<'

I will have to take a look over the Big 5 once more. I noticed I may have seriously missed something while taking characteristics into consideration!

Thanks for input, I myself learned a few things!

MeKonster said:
Okay, that makes sense for the Intelligence stuff, though seems a bit complicated. My understanding of intelligence is something that, while people are predisposed to various things, they also aren't limited. Or at least, I find myself being particularly good at math and art so there's some weirdness there.

Ah, I was referring more to how "the Big Five is not based on any underlying theory; it is merely an empirical finding that certain descriptors cluster together under factor analysis," unlike the supposition of four dichotomies in the Myers-Briggs test.

And if we're going to get into theories, "A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation."

There's also the Enneagram Personality stuff that I discovered recently that's interesting to look at. There's not much scientific research or anything behind it, but there is some interesting stuff for driving fear/desire that's been useful for me.

glowworms said:
Right, It's always refreshing to find someone to debate, compare notes to, and have a general discussion. All this sounds like stuff you are actually into!

While still in the drafting stages of my system I have been reading a lot about personal development and Characteristics of well... Character?

Everything you have brought to the table has been very viable information. I don't want it to seem as I am arguing anything. Just purely looking at it all of it in a spectrum. I don't feel there is any "Right way" to define a being. But, with theory and science we can come pretty close. I have been doing my best to analyse those theories and apply them to the base fundamentals of Creation for my game. We all are people and the people we role play are "alive" in some state or another.

Great food for thought! Thanks mate!

~Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back