• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

[Choose Your Own Adventure] Witches & Wizards - Old Dogs

Riddle78

Four Thousand Club
This is a Choose Your Own Adventure story. We all play as the same character,voting to guide them through the story... Or get them killed,depending on the popular vote. Anybody may vote,at any time,however the only votes that will be considered will be votes for the appropriate set of choices. Before casting your vote,read the latest by myself in this thread that has options presented,just to make sure you're voting for the correct set of choices.

Discussion,in-thread,is encouraged. In fact,it's the only way I can get feedback for the story,since I can't access the Shoutbox. So,go ahead,discuss the happenings of the story,right here in the thread. Ask questions. The world of WW is interesting and wondrous,to say the least.

Characters are from one of RPN's oldest RP's,and classically,the most prolific: Witches & Wizards. The Main Three characters are used with permission.

Alec Deathlind - Esme

Vent Atremetus - Coro

Steven Adams - Myself

New York City. The Big Apple. This city,home to millions,is known as the bustling heart of business in the north end of North America,and where the French built a giant copper statue. It's green,now. Sunset,in a bar with a view of Lady Liberty,it was business as usual. People crowded around the bar,tables,and booths,sipping drinks,telling stories,and just in general having a great time. Seated at a table were two individuals,a man and a woman,watching another man throw darts at a dartboard.

The woman wore a grey sleeveless shirt and a pair of jeans. Her left arm,the left side of her neck,and left side of her face,up to the corner of the eye,were dominated by a single tattoo,depicting tangled vines. She was obviously albino,with pale skin,white hair,and red eyes,though her right eye was cataracted. On the table in front of her was her drink,a bright,clear blue,almost glowing in the tavern's half-lit gloom. A slice of lemon was stuck on the rim,and a cherry bobbed on the top,half-encased in an ice cube,courtesy of her drinking partner.

Speaking of,the man sitting next to her wore a faded green short sleeved shirt,and a pair of blue jeans,with the knees looking rather worn. His messy black hair hung around his ears,and his body was covered in tribal tattoos. His skin was lightly tanned,and his brown eyes were locked on his drinking partner,his own drink almost ignored. Which might be for the best,since it was a dark,murky green,and looked to be almost as thick as syrup.

The third member of the party was throwing darts at a board,and was remarkably accurate,despite his disabilities. Dressed in an old,ratty shirt that might have once been white,but is now an off-yellow with spots of dark drown around the collar. On his legs was a pair of ragged looking jeans. His brown hair was a tangled mess,reaching his shoulder blades,though the bangs were quite obviously hacked off above the eyebrows with a knife,revealing his brown eye. His right arm,a prosthetic,hung limply at his side while he threw the darts with his left side,which was curious,considering his left eye socket was covered by an eyepatch. The left side of his face bore numerous scars,hinting that the organ was damaged or removed violently.

The scarred man hurled a his last dart into the board,and didn't land a bullseye; There wasn't any room left in it. With a whoop,he turned and picked his drink up off the nearby window ledge,an opaque,yellow thing. Seating himself at the table with his friends,he asked, "You two see that? Not bad,for a blind guy." He leaned back in his chair,folding one arm across his chest,smirking smugly.

The tattooed man tore his eyes from his girlfriend for long enough to face the other man,and remarked, "Pretty easy to do that with telekinesis,Steve." He chuckled and leaned back,crossing his own arms across his chest. Steven,meanwhile,was sputtering indignantly. "What? Oh,come on! I didn't even use telekinesis on those darts! Not even once! You're just jealous you can't make the same toss,Vent. C'mon,Alec,back me up!"

Alec simply chuckled. "Oh,hush,you two. I don't want to have to patch you up." She sipped at her drink,looking pleased with herself while Steven and Vent glared at eachother. They knew how a fight would turn out: Both of them out cold,and everything within three blocks reduced to a smoking ruin,between the tornadoes and telekinetic bullets.

Finally,Vent just smirked,and said, "Whatever helps you sleep at night,man." He took a swig of his drink,while Steven simply rolled his eyes as he took a swig of his own drink. When he put his glass down,he looked around the bar,and asked, "So,who's ready to blow this joint?" Steven tapped his glass,now empty,with a quick flick of his fingertips,to illustrate his boredom. Alec and Vent quickly gunned their drinks,and stood up,retrieving their jackets. They all had the same taste in jackets; Leather.

Who are we?

Select one:

-[] The butchered telekinetic,Steven Adams?

-[] The cocky elementalist,Vent Atremetus?

-[] The enigmatic healer,Alec Deathlind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Select one:

-[X] The butchered telekinetic,Steven Adams?

Just because I'd love to know what his definition of not bored is.

Select one:

-[X] The butchered telekinetic,Steven Adams?

I agree with Es. :3

-[x] The cocky elementalist,Vent Atremetus?

-[] The enigmatic healer,Alec Deathlind

-[x] The cocky elementalist,Vent Atremetus?

-[] The enigmatic healer,Alec Deathlind

There will be an update tomorrow. The vote will be locked at midnight EST tonight,which is about eight hours from the time of this post. In the event of a tie,I will explain how it is broken with the update.

In the event of a tie,the first party of the tie that was voted for is considered the winner. In this case,the parties were Steve and Vent. Since Steve got the first vote,he wins. Bit of a bummer for me,since he's my character,but,hey. I do what you want,not the other way around.

You are Steven Adams.

You slip into your jacket easily,despite having only one working arm and eye. Having lived the last ten years in this state,you've learned to just push through things like that. With one hand,you line up and fasten the two zippers,as the jacket had a winterized liner beneath,and apply the bottom snap,to keep it from rattling about in an annoying fashion. It was mid-October; The summer was gone,and the chill of autumn was starting to roll in. As such,you pull up your hood over your head. I'll wear a toque when it starts snowing for real. You still get a chuckle out of it - You're the only Canadian in the bunch.

The hood was part of the liner,and it was a drab grey. The leather component of the jacket was black,and covered in metal pieces,including a seemingly pointless clip eye on a leather strap halfway down the upper right arm. In windy weather,however,the neck strap worked wonders. Vent's jacket was a theatrical greatcoat,dark brown in colour,fastened classically,with brass buttons,rather than more modern,and lowbrow,zippers and buttons. Even before he fastened the second button,the garment was gently billowing in a magickal breeze. Showoff.

Alec's jacket was a simple light grey thing. One zipper,a snap at either end,and a couple of pockets. Simple,but it gets the job done. To be honest,you'd like her jacket,if it would ever fit your titanic shoulders; Yours has too many useless metal bits and bobs for your liking. Beggars can't be choosers,however,and so you liberated this jacket from a storefront two years ago. Despite the Hell you put it through,it's still in amazing condition. And people say leather won't survive the apocalypse. Joke's on them.

As you leave with your friends,you stroll right out the door,as the cashier looks at you incredulously. As she opened her mouth to speak,however,you simply gesture over your shoulder to Alec and Vent.

"One of them's paying."

Without slowing down,you leave the pub as Vent and Alec work out the tab. A minute later,Alec steps out of the pub,and leans on the wall beside you,chuckling.

"Vent's being the gentleman again,I see."

"Unlike you."

"You're a big girl. Besides,you
both know I don't have two Loonies to rub together. Speaking of which..." You hold your right arm out,palm up. "Loonie for a loony?" You bark out a laugh as you let your prosthetic arm fall to your side. You got that joke from a cartoon about a high school student in BC trying to be the next big name in film.

Alec nodded,but retorted, "It's fun to play make-believe,though." You couldn't help but nod in agreement. You have an entire childhood to experience. Or,maybe you were never meant to have one?

Pah. Seize the day. Nobody is your master. You'll carve your own place in existence. And if you want to be a kid for a week or three,you will. But that isn't today; Vent and Alec had full childhoods,you're sure. "How much?" The tab,of course.

"Eighty. Plus change. And tips." You cringe. You very rarely get to experience a night at the pub. So,naturally,you tried a little bit of everything,to see what you liked and didn't like. Apparently,according to Vent,you like the "Bitch Drinks". Pah,what's he know? So long as it tastes good,it's good!

"Note to self: Steal some gold to make the difference." You didn't even have to look at Alec to know she was glaring daggers at you. "That was a joke,Alec,and you know it."

"You said that about the haymaker."

"Hey! How was I supposed to know there was an invisible demon in the way!? I'm telekinetic,not psychic! Besides-"

"I whooped his ass so bad,he didn't want to go back to Hell." Vent was leaning on the wall to your other side,wearing that shit-eating grin of his. "You owe me,by the way. Gold is good."

"Vent."

"Fine,fine. Cash. Or something,I don't care." Vent snapped his fingers,just as you were about to speak, "And none of that funny money,either. The banks around here don't play Monopoly. Or shop at Canadian Tire."

You sigh as Vent busts a gut. "Hey,I didn't make our legal tender green,pink,red and blue. Take that up with... Was it Chretien? Pah. Whatever. You'll take whatever I give you. Beggars can't be choosers." You crack a grin at that. Vent knows exactly what you meant by it,and he wasn't the type to be insensitive to someone's hardships.

Still smirking,you push yourself off the wall while Alec and Vent follow. While drinking,chatting,and pitching darts was a nice diversion,it wasn't exactly fun. You need stimulus. Your first memory was running from malevolent masked men. Your entire life was running or fighting. Hell,you even died a couple of times. You chuckle lightly at these memories. How many other humans could claim that this is their third life? Not very many.

Walking down the streets,you stop at a bus shelter. You didn't even bother reading it. You memorized the schedules. "With what bus fare,bro?" Vent,playing the white knight,as usual,was hissing into your ear. You simply push him away by the face,and produce some "coins" from a pocket. They slid together noiselessly in your grip. Mirages. The best in the world.

"This bus fare. Now,stick a sock in it."
You slide the mirages into the pocket. A purely social gesture,since they were simply shaped light. They'd vanish as soon as you stop focusing on them.

"Were we going,Steve?"

"Liberty Island."
You leave it at that,simply ignoring further questions. When the bus came by,you conjured another set of mirages as you drew your hand from the pocket,and deposited the "coins" in the fare box,using telekinesis to rattle the coins in the box,making it seem as if the new coins were real. It's not counterfeit if they don't exist. Alec and Vent pay their fare and take their seat next to you.

Vent leaned over,and whispered, "Alright,that was clever."

You simply raise your eyebrow,as if to say "Was there ever any doubt?" Instead,you say, "So,ever wanted to high dive of Lady Liberty?" You smirk at Vent's awestuck expression,while Alec simply sighs silently,and rolls her eyes. "I'll take that as a 'Yes'. Good. Some excitement was in order,anyways. Good for the soul." You lean back,and close your eye. "Wake me up when we hit the ferry stop." Without waiting for a reply,you konk right out for your little nap.

"HEY!"

You practically jump out of your skin as Vent bellowed into your ear. "GOD DAMMIT! Want me to have only one good ear,too!? I'm not crippled enough!?"

Both Vent and Alec were laughing it up,leaving you to grumble as you stand up from the seat. Alec manages to compose herself first. "We're here. Come on."

"We'd better be."
As you disembark the bus,you manage to plant your foot on Vent's ass,and roughly shove him out of the bus,causing him to faceplant on the sidewalk below. "We're even."

You offer your hand to help him up,who takes it,and says, "We're not even until I say we're even."

You chuckle as you swat Vent upside the head,and keep going. "Where'd I hear that one,before?" Approaching the ferry dock,you wave for Vent and Alec to follow. Once again,you dupe the ferryman with the mirage trick,and wait for the ferry to arrive at Liberty Island. Turning around to lean on the gunwale,you scan the crowd. Alec and Vent were nearby,together and chatting. You smile. They deserve eachother. They complete eachother. And,in their happiness,you feel happy.

However,your happiness is spoiled when you see another person nearby,as well. Reading the newspaper. This guy,again? He was in the bar. He was at the bus stop. Now he's here? And who reads the news at nine PM? He's following you. Your gut just screams it. He's leaning against the cabin in such a way to keep all three of you in his sight.

However,you need to wait. You need more than a gut feeling to kick a man's ass ten ways 'till Tuesday. Furthermore,you need to let on like you don't know he's there. God DAMN it. All Marco needs to do is flash a badge,and he has carte blanche. Blue blooded bastard. I need to play poker with these guys,or I'm off to the clink.

The ferry arrives at Liberty Island,and you disembark with Vent and Alec,plus everyone else on the boat,suspicious man included. "Alright,Liberty Island!" You turn to Vent and Alec,and say, "So,elevator? Or shall we take the express line?" As you pass the statue's base,you see a security officer standing in front of the door into the visitor's complex; Closed for the night.

"Express line,it is."

"How astute. This way."

You follow Alec as she leads you to a place where there are few people. Magic,despite being everywhere,was still feared by the mundanes. As such,mages try to be discreet. At least,until there's a disaster in the works. Then things tend to get...Biblical. Looking up the statue,you gauge just how much force you'll need to carry the three of you up to the top.

And just as you're doing that,you feel a blade at your throat. And there's my evidence.

"Was wondering when you'd do something."

In response,the blade presses more tightly against your throat. You see Vent and Alec move,but your captor clucked his tongue,and said, "Not a good idea,magi." So he knows. Wonderful.

What will you do?

Select One...

[] Wait for Vent and Alec to cook something up. They always do.

[] Man Mode. Demonstrate that you earned your scars.

If you wait,select one...

-[] Write-in your banter.

-[] Remain silent.

If Man Mode...

-[] Write-in your general opening gambit.

-[] Optionally,banter.

Steven Adams,while a mage,is something of an oddball. The reason why his specializations,mirages and telekinesis,are so refined is because of something of a disability: Any attempts to cast any other kind of spell backfire HORRIBLY. Fireballs explode in his face. Attempts at magickal charisma result in him vomiting on the spot. You get the idea. Sometimes,a magickal backfire can be good,but he tries to avoid it.

Furthermore,telekinesis is a little more involved in Steven's case. It's more than simply moving things. For Steven,it's applying a force in a direction. This results in a much more refined control of whatever he's manipulating,up to,and including,the splitting of atomic nuclei. Resulting in atomic explosions. Of course,since the matter he wishes to manipulate needs to be in his line of sight,cracking an atom would obviously kill him.

Next up is Steven's mirages. They are not illusions. They do exist. They are simply light,shaped and manipulated by Steven's mind to assume the form he desires,for as long as he maintains a mental focus on it. As such,they have no mass. They are insubstantial. They do not produce sound,and do not glow unless Steven wants them to. They will behave,visually,however Steven pleases.

Following up is this: Steven is also considered a "Runt" mage. All mages draw on the natural energy of the world,and store it inside themselves for use. Until the energy is stored within them,a mage cannot use this energy for spellcasting. Steven's body cannot store much of this energy,and his body seems to actively resist absorbing more,meaning his "recharge" rate is significantly lengthened.

As a direct result,he's learned to fight. No fancy martial arts. It's just pure smackdown,assisted with telekinesis. Since he only has one eye,he uses his magic to give himself a false sense of depth perception,and once he runs dry,his fighting ability is crippled,as he also loses the ability to move his right arm,considering it's an old prosthetic.

Finally: Steven is a VERY stubborn bastard. His bullheaded stubbornness has gotten him and company into and out of countless jams,and there's that one time he convinced a mule to do as he said by being more stubborn than it. There have been stories of his stubbornness in,some cases,being almost a supernatural force of nature.

This information should be everything you need to know to make your vote. Whatever you choose,I promise you it'll be awesome.

[x] Wait for Vent and Alec to cook something up. They always do.

Can't disagree, they always do. :)

[x] Write-in your banter.

"Vent, Alec, does whoever is holding the knife to my throat look like a coward? I get the feeling they look like a coward."

[x] Wait for Vent and Alec to cook something up. They always do.

[x] Write-in your banter.

"Eh, your knife could be a bit sharper, but overall I give it a 'c' for effort. You have room to improve, but at least you didn't try to threaten me with the handle."

Select One...

[X] Man Mode. Demonstrate that you earned your scars.

If Man Mode...

-[] Write-in your general opening gambit.

-[X] Optionally,banter.

"Big mistake, hunter."

Select One...

[X] Man Mode. Demonstrate that you earned your scars

If Man Mode...

-[x] Write-in your general opening gambit.

Telekinetically push the blade away from your throat. At least far enough that's it's no threat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back