Charms that grant Arts

How would eidetic memory (or possession of a Memory Stone) factor into these mechanics?

I would suggest that those bonus apply you determine base required Ability.  Eidetic Memory does not help you remember the text of a book if you've never said book.

... care to reassemble those sentences into some semblance of actual meaning?

My point was; if the roll is a reflection of the character grasping at whatever information he may have come across (information that he may not really have integrated into his knowledge base, but that he may have glanced over nonetheless), how does this work for someone who remembers *everything* they've ever seen. Without really trying.

Thaumaturgy represents a set of arcane training that should not be given to free to anyone, in order to preserve game balance.  Do we let Solars get Terrestrial Charms for free just because Solar Charms are better?  No, of course not.  
Excellencies allow one to build off of one's capabilities.  I would have to agree with M.  I would not allow a character to roll for knowledge unless they had the Appropraite Ability at the difficulty level-1.  (this allows even uneducated characters the chance to remember simple details they may have picked up in conversation).
Actually I do give out thaumaturgy dots for free to round out player characters. Usually I raise a dot here or there to make the character better fit the concept and where I think the player missed something and in that process I usually give a few low level thaumaturgy thingies out. depending on the concept. I find it rather stupid that a solar should spend points on that. it is the stuff of mortals, it is a given for me.

The point is that thaumaturgy is powerful.  It is the equivalent of low powered Celestial Charms, though it does take a bit longer.

Indeed. I'll use an example someone else brought up on the forums: Celestials and Terrestial MA charms.

Just because Terrestial MA charms are less powerful than Celestial MA charms doesn't mean that they're useless to Celestials. However, I don't see a discount offered for Celestials learning Terrestrial MA--though some of you often houserule such a discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back