Other Breaking up the "Personality" slot into multiple components?

StrixDesmodus

Totally human, I swear!
I've used roleplay-specific alternatives to the "personality" slot on the character application forms I've created, but I'm unsure of what a good protocol for my new idea would be.
I don't want to go as far as listing every individual variable of personality trait as a different slot, but I also don't want to do a general "personality" slot, as I find that it's difficult to conjure a sufficient summary when I don't know what's being looked for. And of course, I don't even know how to summarize what I'm looking for.
I've managed to create some "interview" questions for one category of character, but I just don't think every question in the questionnaire I've come up with is relevant to the rest of the characters, nor do all of the questions I have so far cover most of the points that should be made about the other characters.
Plus, I'm not sure if I should be doing interview style forms for some characters when I know it wouldn't be practical for every character type the roleplay requires.

So I think the problem isn’t the personality section but a misunderstanding of what a character sheet is for.

The purpose of a Character Sheet is so the GM can make sure potential players understand the premise and can contribute to the story.

So personality sections are really just meant to be a baseline description for how your character interacts with other people.

Which brings me back to your initial confusion about personality section. When filling them out just ask yourself how your character would interact with people in the roleplay scenario.

Ex. If the premise is “school competition that turns into a fight to the death.”

The personality section should be how your character interacts with people competitively and/or in high stress situations.

So I think the problem isn’t the personality section but a misunderstanding of what a character sheet is for.

The purpose of a Character Sheet is so the GM can make sure potential players understand the premise and can contribute to the story.

So personality sections are really just meant to be a baseline description for how your character interacts with other people.
I understand what the personality section is for, I just have trouble asking and answering vague questions. I'm trying to cut down on the vague-ness, but unfortunately I just don't have much ease at guessing what's most important for the rp I have in mind.
Which brings me back to your initial confusion about personality section. When filling them out just ask yourself how your character would interact with people in the roleplay scenario.

Ex. If the premise is “school competition that turns into a fight to the death.”

The personality section should be how your character interacts with people competitively and/or in high stress situations.

Also, I'm not filling out a pre-existing form, I'm making a new one for an rp I'm hosting.
I'm trying to come up with something that will make things easier for myself and people with the same problem I have when filling out character forms.

I guess that it makes sense to focus on what is relevant to the rp's premise, but I'm still not sure which slots/questions/points count.

Have you tried out using irl personality type tests, like the mbti types or the enneagram numbers? I've found that those systems can be great for giving a good idea of what a character is all about, even when they're simplified.

Have you tried out using irl personality type tests, like the mbti types or the enneagram numbers? I've found that those systems can be great for giving a good idea of what a character is all about, even when they're simplified.
I've considered it, but I think brevity suits an application form, and those tests tend to be long. I'll give it another look though. Maybe I can simplify the tests myself.

I disagree lol

Character sheets don't have one singular purpose. The purpose described here is specific to a preference, and I'm sure a lot of people share it. It's pragmatic and focused, and lends itself well to roleplays with large casts, action focused premises, or other circumstances where a character's outward persona is the only thing the GM and other players really need to know about your character.

But those aren't the only RPs that exist, and so that's not the only purpose of a character sheet. I don't think StrixDesmodus StrixDesmodus is "confused" about the purpose of a CS at all.

My preference (as a player and a GM) is to have the "personality" section give a succinct summary of how your character behaves. It works in tandem with the "background" section, which focuses on why the character behaves that way. If you're writing a complex character, the personality section is always the hardest to write lmao but it is super helpful when writing up the character because it helps the player really get in touch with them, and it helps other players and the GM figure out how to collaborate in this character's arc and objectives.

Two things I like to play around with are hamartia and astrology. I know those sound weird but hear me out lol

Hamartia comes from Greek tragedy, and is often defined as a character's "fatal flaw" that brings about their downfall. It can get deeper than that, though -- the true tragedy of hamartia is that it's also that character's greatest strength. I've used character sheets that list a character's strengths and flaws as separate lists, but nowadays I like having them be one and the same. If a character is "stubborn", that might make them steadfast in their convictions and able to persist toward their goals despite opposition -- and it might also make them unwilling to listen to reason or valid criticism. So having a sheet list three or so of these major traits could be one way to do it.

Astrology is something else I take inspiration from. "The big three" is a major tenet of modern widespread astrology, referring to your sun sign, your moon sign, and your rising sign. The sun sign is the core self, indicating your true path and purpose, and is often how you see yourself. The moon sign is the private inner self, your deepest emotions, who you are in your comfort zone and how your closest loved ones see you. The rising sign is the outer self, who you are at work or school, and is how strangers perceive you. Breaking up a "personality" section into those three parts can be really helpful, with or without the use of actual zodiac signs.

Thanks for making this a topic of discussion! I love character sheets so much hehehe

Just throwing my input in, but for me, any time someone has linked to a "personality type" instead of just describing their character, it's just lead to confusion due to me and the form maker having very different interpretations of the "type", or needing to ask several follow-up questions to the point of defeating the purpose of including the "type" to begin with.

Those tests are meant to be vague enough so that a small handful of personalities apply to millions of different people, so they aren't really specific enough most of the time. You're supposed to use your intuition to pick out which parts do and don't apply/resonate with you, which doesn't really work if you just copy and paste it verbatim. I mean, let's say, two separate people both use the same test and say their OC has the same personality type (for example maybe they're both INFJ's). What makes the characters different from each other? Do they both literally have the same personality? Do they have some different 'take' on the type? What makes them different from other INFJs characters?

I've actually used them myself for some NPCs/side characters, just like extras who don't reaaally need a fleshed out personality. For main OCs, though, I think additional information beyond a "type" is super helpful most of the time

Just throwing my input in, but for me, any time someone has linked to a "personality type" instead of just describing their character, it's just lead to confusion due to me and the form maker having very different interpretations of the "type", or needing to ask several follow-up questions to the point of defeating the purpose of including the "type" to begin with.

Those tests are meant to be vague enough so that a small handful of personalities apply to millions of different people, so they aren't really specific enough most of the time. You're supposed to use your intuition to pick out which parts do and don't apply/resonate with you, which doesn't really work if you just copy and paste it verbatim. I mean, let's say, two separate people both use the same test and say their OC has the same personality type (for example maybe they're both INFJ's). What makes the characters different from each other? Do they both literally have the same personality? Do they have some different 'take' on the type? What makes them different from other INFJs characters?

I've actually used them myself for some NPCs/side characters, just like extras who don't reaaally need a fleshed out personality. For main OCs, though, I think additional information beyond a "type" is super helpful most of the time
I think a good way to execute the personality type style description is instead of taking a test in character and plopping the results into the character form, you just break down the character's personality into traits and describe how your character relates to them and how they relate to your character. For example you could use the Big Five model, and give psychological reasons why your character is more impulsive or conscientious and explain what might cause an exception to their usual behavior.

Good question. I had this same question a long time ago, leading to the personality sections I use today in my roleplays. As Caroline suggested, it's based on personality tests and gives descriptions of major and minor traits. A player picks one side or the other for several traits on a scale and pastes it in the CS. It defines a character's personality but is not specific enough to box them into one exact way of being. If you want to break down the standard character sheet, delving into real-life personalty systems is a good place to start. Here's how my own looks:

-Personality Map-

Major Traits

What's your character's style? Are they traditional, or a free-spirit?

• (Traditional) Your character usually follows the rules and the "normal" way of doing things. They are conservative, hardworking, routine, stable, and diligent. They focus on doing what's expected and making sure it's done without much fuss. They prefer to follow society's standard values, standard dress, and are slower to accept new ideas. They are the ones who wait for someone to finish speaking, before they themselves start. They are usually meek and respectful.

• (Free-Spirit) Your character is used to doing things their own way and following their own path. They don't like going with the crowd. They prefer to live by their own code. These characters are open to most everything. They like to experiment and have no problem changing to take on new environments and situations. These are the ones who'd more likely ditch and leave a conversation if something more interesting pops up.
What is your character's way of action? Are they physical, or mental?

• (Physical) Your character experiences the world primarily through physical touch. They like to hold things, hug things, kick things, punch things; anything that lets them connect with life in tangible ways. They are very aware of their bodies and surroundings, but are liable to get irritated if they're not able to move around for too long.

• (Mental) Your character likes to take things in through their mind. They like to plan, think, imagine, and wouldn't mind spending a whole day inside their heads. Their brain holds an entire world; sometimes bigger than the one outside. Though they may like to daydream and appear as if they're not doing anything at all, they are. You just can't see it.
What kind of resolve does your character have?

• (Careful) Your character is cautious. These are the type who look before they leap. If there was a dangerous situation where someone needed help, there's a possibility this character might jump in; just don't expect them to be the first. If there's something frightening coming, follow them if you want to live to fight another day.

• (Bold) This character is brave. They are the type who leap before they look. In a dangerous situation where someone needed help, this person might stand back for a bit, but they wouldn't be able to keep out of the action for long. If there's something frightening coming, stand behind them if there's no choice but to fight.
What type of outlook does your character have on life?

• (Realist) This character sees things for how they really are, not how they want them to be. A realist is practical. They do not shoot for the stars, but aim low and try to do things they know can be done. They can be cynical, brutally honest, always seeking the truth, and hard to make happy because of it.

• (Idealist) This character sees things for how they should be, not what they seem. An idealist is imaginative. They refuse to be stopped by how things are and try to create change needed by shooting for the stars. They are positive thinkers who have faith and trust that most times the goal can be reached -- you just have to try.
What level of openness does your character have?

• (Extrovert) These characters charge up and refresh by spending time interacting with external life. They lose their pep when spending too much time alone; most specifically during introspection. This character feels better talking to or interacting with other people and things, sometimes with more than one item or person at once. That is good. The more the merrier! They are usually effervescent characters that handle the outside world extremely well.

• (Introvert) These characters de-stress and center by spending time alone. They lose their charm when being around people or other external things for too long; especially large crowds of them. Being spoken to directly or performing an externally demanding task, drains them even faster. When exposed to too many things at once, these characters will soon likely take a break to rest and recover. Introverted typed people are usually independent, and thoughtful, reliable friends.
Lesser Traits

What's your character's demeanor?

• (Serious) Your character doesn't like to play games. They're all business. They get straight to the point and quickly move on as soon as things are settled. Time is one thing this character does not waste without a fight.

• (Playful) Your character loves to play games and have fun. Joking around is a must. They may never get to the point...instead sit back and enjoy the view. Who cares if they lose a minute or two? These characters don't. Come on! Lighten up!
Which way to knowledge does your character prefer?

• (Education) Your character places a high value on education. They likely took classes and studied a lot from books themselves. Though unlikely to reach a true and complete mastery of a single topic, these kinds of people usually know a great deal about many different subjects.

• (Experience) Your character is a child of experience. They likely went out and got what they know about a subject by actually doing it. These kinds of people aren't able to explore everything in the world, but from what they have come across, they usually have a very deep understanding of.
Is your character romantic?

• (Affectionate) Your character is affectionate, comfortable with romance, and open to love. This can be as friends or as something more. This person would be the type to sit with another and pat them as they cry their problems out on their shoulder.

• (Detached) Your character is oblivious to love, affection, romance, and all. This can be towards friends or anyone they see as something more. This person would rather give a tissue or direct someone to the bathroom, instead of letting them cry on their shoulder.

Hoyo!

I'm probably going to be in the minority on this subject, but in my personal opinion the personality section is one of the least important in the entire CS, and not really worth putting this much thought or consideration into.

There are honestly far more important things to consider about a character such as whether or not it's demonstrated, typically via the biography section, that they're actually designed for this RP world rather than a copy-paste from another one and only tweaked just enough to look like it belongs here because they changed the name of the birthplace to one that's in the lore page of this RP.

This is arguably the most important thing about a submitted character: Do they fit the world?

Depending on how deep you like to go with lore and worldbuilding elements sometimes every nation can have its own naming conventions, history, culture, sub-cultures, economics, education, politics, social norms and expectations, laws, traditions, holidays, central religion and religious sects, etc.

Let's say for instance you decide that you want the naming convention for a particular nation to include a suffix between the first and last name for the first born child of a family. And let's say the suffix is xe'. So, a first born child who's a boy might be Richard Xe' Maros, and a first born child who's a girl might be Lorraine Xe' Almna. This convention is described in the RP's lore as tradition, and something everyone does. However, someone submits a CS for someone born in this nation without that suffix even though they're the first born according to the biography. What do you do?

If it were me, I would ask them why the suffix is missing straight up. If they say they didn't know about the suffix then I'd say "go read the lore page again, please," and I wouldn't accept the character until they'd read it and came back to me either with the suffix added, or a good reason why the character's parents chose not to utilize it given that it's part of the culture. Are the parents anti-culture or anti-tradition? Were they nor from this country originally and don't plan to follow the naming convention?

It may be a small detail on paper, but we're talking about naming conventions. Something that's permanent to the character and will not change for the foreseeable future, if ever. Something which is described in the lore page as being universal to everyone living in the nation in question within this hypothetical RP. Such important cultural and societal elements aren't typically just ignored by the general populace unless there's a major cultural shift taking place, or there are other underlying reasons behind such a big decision which will forever affect how this character is perceived in their nation of birth.

If the character's owner gives excuses or otherwise states that they didn't read that part of the lore page, that's a major red flag and usually results in me politely shooing them away from my RP.

By contrast, the personality section is typically just a list or a short description of who the character is "to start the RP." But who they are, and their major personality traits, are all subject to change as the RP progresses. Every major event, conversation, or consequence of action has a chance to change this character from what's initially provided in the CS. As such, I find the level of importance of a personality section to be very low which is why I usually only ask for a single paragraph explaining their top 3-5 most prominent traits, or a bullet point list of them so I get a basic idea of who they are to start things off. But otherwise it's just a formality.

Not sure if any of this helps, but those are my two cents!

Cheers!

- GojiBean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back