• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

BBcode sadness

Lurker

Supa hot fire. I spit that.
I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been having the same problem over and over and I've managed to fix it but now I'm about to punch a hole through my monitor. Trying to do an accordion but for some reason it keeps making a slide dissappear. Copied the coding in question.

***{**Slide=[*bg=*firebrick]Got it[*/bg]}[*bg=darkred]

(Gonna be honest. I have not played 358/2 and have not yet finished CoM. Hate the card system. So this might be a bit iffy.)

Likes: Roxas, Fire, Sea Salt ice cream, Xion, taking it easy

Dislikes: Hard work, Marluxia, Ice/Water magic, talking about his past.

Strengths: One of the strongest fighters in the organization. As strong if not stronger than Saïx. Will do anything to protect his friends.

Flaws: Lacks a heart, some might view this as a good thing, Axel does not. Will do -anything- to protect his friends, even sacrifice himself.

Fears: Being forgotten, losing his friends.

Personality:(Unsure about this. Axel does a complete 180 after he becomes friends with Roxas. Will do it assuming he's already become friends with Roxas. Can change it if not. Axel pre-roxas is a complete badass though.)

Before Axel was good friends with Roxas he was a very stoic, calm person. Axel was a very good liar and was very hard to read. Axel worked very hard to manipulate other but that all changed when he met Roxas. After meeting Roxas Axel became a much more laid back person. Axel is now very sarcastic and has a "go with the flow" outlook on life.[/bg] [*/Accordion][*Accordion][*bg=darkred][*/bg][*/Accordion]

Axel serves the role as mentor to Roxas and acts almost like a big brother. The Flurry of Flames is very kind to both Roxas and Xion, his closest friends. He would do anything in his power to keep them safe. The reason for this is Axel feels very human when spending time with his friends. He cherishes these moments and they are some of his most precious memories. Axel is one of the few nobodies that has been known to show emotion even though he lacks a heart.

Axel is almost obsessed with being remembered. His catch phrase is "...Got it memorized?" after saying his name. Axel feels that if he can live in the memories of others he will become immortal.

Goals/Ambitions: To reclaim his heart, same as all the Organization and to protect his friends.

To live on in the memories of his friends.[*/bg]{*/slide}

It keeps adding the red text and if I delete it it just pops right back. What am I doing wrong? Like I said the entire slide is missing from the post now. Can give the whole thing if it's necessary. Not sure what's causing that. Added stars 'cause I didn't know how to not make it not format.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lurker said:
I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been having the same problem over and over and I've managed to fix it but now I'm about to punch a hole through my monitor. Trying to do an accordion but for some reason it keeps making a slide dissappear. Copied the coding in question.
***{**Slide=[*bg=*firebrick]Got it[*/bg]}[*bg=darkred]

(Gonna be honest. I have not played 358/2 and have not yet finished CoM. Hate the card system. So this might be a bit iffy.)

Likes: Roxas, Fire, Sea Salt ice cream, Xion, taking it easy

Strengths: One of the strongest fighters in the organization. As strong if not stronger than Saïx. Will do anything to protect his friends.

Flaws: Lacks a heart, some might view this as a good thing, Axel does not. Will do -anything- to protect his friends, even sacrifice himself.

Personality:(Unsure about this. Axel does a complete 180 after he becomes friends with Roxas. Will do it assuming he's already become friends with Roxas. Can change it if not. Axel pre-roxas is a complete badass though.)

Before Axel was good friends with Roxas he was a very stoic, calm person. Axel was a very good liar and was very hard to read. Axel worked very hard to manipulate other but that all changed when he met Roxas. After meeting Roxas Axel became a much more laid back person. Axel is now very sarcastic and has a "go with the flow" outlook on life. [*/Accordion][*Accordion][*bg=darkred][*/bg][*/Accordion]

Axel serves the role as mentor to Roxas and acts almost like a big brother. The Flurry of Flames is very kind to both Roxas and Xion, his closest friends. He would do anything in his power to keep them safe. The reason for this is Axel feels very human when spending time with his friends. He cherishes these moments and they are some of his most precious memories. Axel is one of the few nobodies that has been known to show emotion even though he lacks a heart.

Axel is almost obsessed with being remembered. His catch phrase is "...Got it memorized?" after saying his name. Axel feels that if he can live in the memories of others he will become immortal.

Goals/Ambitions: To reclaim his heart, same as all the Organization and to protect his friends.

To live on in the memories of his friends.[*/bg]{*/slide}

It keeps adding the red text and if I delete it it just pops right back. What am I doing wrong? Like I said the entire slide is missing from the post now. Can give the whole thing if it's necessary. Not sure what's causing that. Added stars 'cause I didn't know how to not make it not format.
What I do is delete the extra accordion stuff, center everything using the alignment tool at the top of the text box, and go through to make sure all the slide codes are in place. You'll want to make sure [/accordion] is right below the last slide, then put [/bg], then right next to the [/bg] code put the [/border] code if you have a border. This happens to me all the time, I swear, but I use this method and experimenting with it helps!

@Lurker Are you using the rich text editor? It has a bad habit of adding in extra code and I used to have similar problems. I disabled the rich text editor and I've never had a problem since with extra code being added in.

DaughterofAthena said:
@Lurker Are you using the rich text editor? It has a bad habit of adding in extra code and I used to have similar problems. I disabled the rich text editor and I've never had a problem since with extra code being added in.
Absolutely no idea what that is. If it's on by default, then yes.

Lurker said:
Absolutely no idea what that is. If it's on by default, then yes.
Mmk. Some people I've talked to don't like disabling it, but if you go up to the bar on the top and move your cursor over your name, a bunch of options pop up and one of them is simply titled "Preferences". If you click that, there is a box next to the option that says "Use the rich text editor..." and if you uncheck the box and save the preferences, then you will have the BBcode editor by default.

Using the BBcode editor means you literally have to do everything through code (changing font, color and size of text and inputing pictures and whatnot), but if you know how to use the code, it really isn't that bad.

DaughterofAthena said:
Mmk. Some people I've talked to don't like disabling it, but if you go up to the bar on the top and move your cursor over your name, a bunch of options pop up and one of them is simply titled "Preferences". If you click that, there is a box next to the option that says "Use the rich text editor..." and if you uncheck the box and save the preferences, then you will have the BBcode editor by default.
Using the BBcode editor means you literally have to do everything through code (changing font, color and size of text and inputing pictures and whatnot), but if you know how to use the code, it really isn't that bad.
Rodger! I'll keep that in mind, thanks! Next time it becomes an issue I'll definitely turn that stupid thing off. Thankfully I got it to work now. No idea what I changed.

Firstly, there needs to be an opening accordion tag to basically tell the site, "Hey, the stuff I write after this is part of an accordion." Then you can code the slides. From what I see, you didn't have an opening accordion tag at the very beginning. ([accordion]) I also think you missed the opening tag for one of your slides.

ALSO, you really need to be doing this in the BBCode editor, not the rich text editor. There should be a button in the top right corner of the text box to switch modes. The rich text editor adds things you didn't write and involves lots of hidden tags that make it hard to code properly.

A note on these tags I keep referring to: I don't know that "tags" is the technical term, but that's what I use to refer to each individual bracketed item that you use to code. An opening tag looks like [TEXT] and a closing tag looks like [/TEXT]. The opening tag tells the site to START a particular code - the closing tag tells the site to STOP it. If you forget one, you're gonna have issues. I would also like to note that keeping tags in order is more important than you might think. The site can go funny and add coding you didn't write when you do it out of order, so [TEXT1][TEXT2]Lorem Ipsum.[/TEXT2][/TEXT1] is always more stable than [TEXT1][TEXT2]Lorem Ipsum.[/TEXT1][/TEXT2].

On that note, I've cleaned up your coding below for you. I didn't try to make it what I thought you were looking for - I just took out the extraneous coding and anything that seemed to be messing the rest up.

Hopefully this will help you in the future, too. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Code:
[font=Fantasy][accordion]{slide=[bg=firebrick]Got it[/bg]}[bg=darkred](Gonna be honest. I have not played 358/2 and have not yet finished CoM. Hate the card system. So this might be a bit iffy.)

[b]Likes: Roxas, Fire, Sea Salt ice cream, Xion, taking it easy

Strengths: One of the strongest fighters in the organization. As strong if not stronger than Saïx.
Will do anything to protect his friends.

Personality: (Unsure about this. Axel does a complete 180 after he becomes friends with Roxas. Will do it assuming he's already become friends with Roxas. Can change it if not. Axel pre-roxas is a complete badass though.)

Before Axel was good friends with Roxas he was a very stoic, calm person. Axel was a very good liar and was very hard to read. Axel worked very hard to manipulate other but that all changed when he met Roxas. After meeting Roxas Axel became a much more laid back person. Axel is now very sarcastic and has a "go with the flow" outlook on life.[/b][/bg]{/slide}[/accordion]

[b]Axel serves the role as mentor to Roxas and acts almost like a big brother. The Flurry of Flames is very kind to both Roxas and Xion, his closest friends. He would do anything in his power to keep them safe. The reason for this is Axel feels very human when spending time with his friends. He cherishes these moments and they are some of his most precious memories. Axel is one of the few nobodies that has been known to show emotion even though he lacks a heart.[/b]

[font=Fantasy][b]Axel is almost obsessed with being remembered. His catch phrase is "...Got it memorized?" after saying his name. Axel feels that if he can live in the memories of others he will become immortal.

To live on in the memories of his friends.[/b][/font]

Looks Like
no slide no slide

To live on in the memories of his friends.

EDIT: Super ninja'd. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back