Ball and Chain Artifact Idea

psychoph

I was sitting bored in a meeting today at work and I was thinking about lunar or solar artifacts and I came up with this idea.

A ball and chain type weapon, only with balls on both ends, one end is a Moon that is blue white and shaded based on the phase of the moon.  The other end is a Orichalcum ball that radiates heat and light like the sun.  In between is a chain that one half is made of Moonsilver and the other half is Orichalcum.  My initial idea was that the Moonsilver side could expand itself to a length while the Orichalcum side could go completely ridged or limp.  The weapon would be like one of the other Lunar artifacts that you can buckle around you with half the moon and half the sun buckling together.  My background idea was it was a wedding present given to a Lunar by his Solar wife Sorceress.  I was thinking that in my game it would still belong to the Lunar.

I haven't thought of any stats or abilities beyond thinking that maybe the item would give both benefits for a Orichalcum and Moonsilver weapon but cost more for attunement.  I was thinking maybe it would connect the life-forces of both the wearer and the giver with some special spell or something.  

What I was looking for was more feedback if it is a good idea, and suggestions for improvements.  This is one of the first artifacts I had thought about.

You could let the weapon still have an intimate relation with it's creator, only .. it's creator is nowadays either an Abyssal ( if you want it to be corrupting, or use it as a cool detail about the main enemy, or her weakness or something ), or a baby who's destiny might be to become a solar, imbued with the soul of the sorceress who made it, or a solar who is grown up and have it as a connection between the two.. the solar might be lost, or driven insane, or something

Get a good mental picture of the two First Age Exalts, and do a rough ability spread for each--what their areas of expertise and so on. Then describe why the Twilight gave her lover the artifact (to accentuate his strengths, protect against his weaknesses, etc.).

After that, if the artifact mechanics doesn't write itself...

Is it meant to be mainly a weapon, or a device that can be used as a weapon amongst a number of other things?

I mean, with being a belt, having an in built spell and maybe a dice adder or something, it sounds like it's a kind of "jack of all trades" artifact.

psychoph said:
The weapon would be like one of the other Lunar artifacts that you can buckle around you with half the moon and half the sun buckling together.
Kajata said:
Is it meant to be mainly a weapon, or a device that can be used as a weapon amongst a number of other things?
I mean, with being a belt, having an in built spell and maybe a dice adder or something, it sounds like it's a kind of "jack of all trades" artifact.
Zey seem to be two deeferent arti-fakts.  Or I may have just misread the intetion of the sentance.

What is the artifact level?

That would help with a better approximation of it's powers.

Or, if you haven't made a guess at it's level...

What abilities, other than heat, moon phase, stiffening, streching, and life force connection does it have?

Returning?

Entangling?

Smite Undead?

Solar Beam?

The belt idea was actually just a storage method.  To make it look like something that would not be considered a weapon ordinarily, similar to the way the robes that give you an armor rating are.

I think I like the idea of a dual purpose weapon.  I liked the idea of it being several different weapons in one, which to me seems to suit the Lunar style or combat, but also a shield as a belt allowing the Lunar to take another weapon if he wanted and fall back on the belt if he lost the other weapon.

I haven't really set an artifact level for it.  Like I said first artifact I have ever created and was just getting idea down.

Storywise I think I like it as an artifact that was given at the wedding ceremony.  I kind of think that as a belt a shield like power would be good, but other than that the transforming powers are about all it has besides giving dual attunement bonuses.  I think I would throw in the eternal mental link or something like that as it would add story.  I like the idea that the solar turned Abyssal and that the mental connection attaches to the abyssal now, which would make it all the more an idea of the downfall of the First Age as well as give me a plot idea for a lunar story I am about to run.

I will see if have time to write up something about who I think the two people are that the belt was created for.  Think they will be NPCs for this next game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back