Attn Jakk: Modernis Question

Flagg

The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment
I have some questions about "The Wall".

If it were to be drawn on a map of creation, where (roughly) would it lie? Is it on the Blessed Isle? In the Threshold? Where did it start? Did it cross the Inner Sea?

-S

Still--You're going to make me have to make a damn map for y'all ain't you?

And I've got a gorgeous map, sitting here next to me--3'x4' and hand painted with water colors, Dr. Grabowski inks, and shaded with water color pencil. Of course, it does none of these folks any good, does it?

The Wall extends across, and just a bit beyond the Creation of the BWB. It encompasses all what the BWB called the Threshold, and in the Long Second Age, Gem, Ablalone, Rahess, Chanta, Crystal, and Larjyn all are well within the Realm's Wall.

The Threshold in the Long Second Age is much larger--as a byproduct of the Reality Towers that the Realm uses to power their Mystech, and to keep the Wall ever expanding, the Towers* push back the Wyld, reclaiming lands, or causing it to accrete.

I put details on the Threshold for the Long Second Age up, and the the Threshold for the setting begins several hundred miles from the boundaries of the Creation in the BWB.

*To the North, the Reality Towers of Dark Reflection, of Lost Illusions, and of Cold Flames push back the cold. To the East, the Reality Towers of the Blessed Dragons, of Morning Smiles, and of Deepening Sorrows reclaim the Pole of Wood. To the South, the Reality Towers of Fading Twilight, of Fiery Fury, and   of Hidden Secrets push back the Pole of Fire. To the West, the Reality Towers of the Deep Blue, of the Setting Sun, and of Shades of Glory push back the Pole of Water. The Towers are equidistant to each other, and while the Towers appear massive and solid, they lie only a few miles from the actual Edge of the Creation, and as they reclaim land and sea, their position changes as the Creation is expanded a few feet every day. Their position relative to the Poles doesn't change, but the new lands simply flow around them, becoming more solid and defined as the Towers reweave the Wyld back into matter.

Ok while we're discussing this Modernis stuff, I have a few queries..

1st: I see a wwhole lot of stuff which is cool and great, but I tend to like a little less detailed settings, so do you have a quick overview of the setting anywhere? with just the basics? Its kinda confusing trying to sort through all that flavor text and detailed stuff to get the bsic ideas of the setting.

2nd: if your going to combine combat abilities, shouldnt archery, firearms, and thrown be grouped together? or at least archery and firearms, and then melee can stand on its own? Seems a bit more of a logical combination.

3rd: um.. I thought I had more, but I guess thats it for now..

1) The basics is up to the folks who are in charge of the game. I used broad strokes to give a feel for the setting, any MY setting is much more detailed, but this is a basic look at a Creation that hasn't had an end to it's Second Age for nearly 3000 years. I gave it broad strokes for folks to fill in on their own. Consider this my own version of the BWB.  Fill in things on your own. I use air cars, floating carriages, guns, guns, guns, and Dragon Blooded who eschew such things for the most part, because Wands and Staves give them access to a bit more Essence than they're used to. You might want to chuck the flitters and high rise cities in favor of mole like cities cored from the Earth. Up to you.

2) Have you ever pulled a bow? Much different than pointing a gun. On the other hand, weapons are extensions for reach, and while there are details that DO matter with different weapons--blades, staves, sticks, knives, mace, ect--the basics remain the same for reach, timing, and footwork. You can change some of the details--like reach, blades are not so great for holding onto, staves can be grasped, ect--but the basics of combat remain remarkably similar.  X amount of reach will mean that you can smack your opponent's noodle Y amount faster. Be that with a fist, a foot, or a 6' piece of metal.  Once you have the basics down, you can then deal with the details, which is how I dealt with Fight, so that you could still have the Rule of Fives, and get rid of some the discrepencies that I felt were abundant in the BWB for HTH.

Most combat systems have dealt with weapons, dealing with weaponed foes, and how to get a weapon into your hand, or prevent a foe from getting an extra six to forty-eight inches of reach on you, or how to deal with that disparity, and keep your brains in your skull when you have to face someone when you are lacking.

Thowing things is much different from firing a weapon. Archery is far different than firing a weapon.  While you still have to calculate tragectories over distance, it involves entirely different skill sets. You can take a fine rock or knife thrower, and while their natural talent for guaging how an object will travel over time through space can indeed help them, that doesn't neccessarily mean that you have the same reflexes--throwing involves long arm motions. Archery is about keeping one armed locked to hold a bow steady, and still be able to track a target. Guns involve still different relfex sets.  But ducking a punch, and ducking a cudgel involve remarkably similar skill sets, so that's why you have Fight combinging Brawl, Martial Arts, and Melee.

3) So'kay. I'm into my third Daddy sive G&T. I can understand the derailing of a train of though. Going for my fourth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back