2019 Writing Event A Warm Winter

Final

Faltasey

Temporal Aurielian Guard
Snowflakes drip along the light that breaks the clouds, like shattered glass. Oddly enough, crystals still fill the sky. On the last day of the week, crisp air fills my soul with warmth, contradicting it all. Even though I stress for the lack of labor(and the lack of payment), all this white seems to shun my perspective. Standing as though I’m in limbo, unconcerned with escaping… and can’t help but notice how tranquil the ending is to a day where I’d have thought it couldn’t get any better.

I glance over to my favorite spot in this busy city; a coffee shop as quiet as a bar during sunrise. Yearning oh so much for the cozy confines of within, and on my way over, a young woman with the shop’s uniform exits the shop swiftly, and suddenly you're reminded the pacing of a world full of prompt endeavors.

After entry, the number of customers startled me, due to the weather, but reassuring. I purchase my liquid caffeine drug slowly and head to a seat by the window. Gazing out into the pale blanket of snow that coats the town, my mind wonders into that which surfaces my loneliness. With all this, you can’t help but question where your heart feels safest, and if in turn, someone else is willing to hold it the same way you do.

Breaking my cognitive dissociation, I hear the front door open from the bell, and turning around I hear a quick gasp. The same woman from earlier is chatting with the cashier. Inspecting her, she starts looking familiar to me… in a few seconds of realization, I remember her! For a moment confusion lingers, but I briskly realized I’m out of my head. In reality, I’d been coming to this shop for years. She had been working here since before I moved here, and while in my own little bubble I had forgotten this is the reason the shop is my favorite. It isn’t because I like the coffee: It’s because I like her.

My subconscious reaction is to turn away and act like she wasn’t there. All while blushing with rosy red cheeks. With that, a lengthy back-and-forth with my inner dialogue ensues, and suddenly there I am, asking the cashier about the loud gasp earlier. Like my entire being wanted me to be curious, and my body didn’t.

My eyes shoot up with a universe of stars, and my heart is explicit with notions of butterflies after hearing she had a crush on me. Not just now, but for years. After a lengthy talk, I walk away with her friends' address and the scolding I’ll receive if I go all weird. She will know I am coming. Understandable though, considering the circumstance. Thanking her I gleefully smile; she smiles back as I disappear into the dawning evening.

Arriving home to gather myself, my keys, and better clothes; I realize I am all over the place. From every direction was the pieces of me that have been scattered. Everything was racing: heart, mind, body, and soul. The world suddenly felt caressing with passion. And as such, gathered and calmed slightly, I scurry off to my car through the snow. Leaving footprints that’ll disappear by morning. Because just like my fear, they’ll get covered up by the night.

While driving there, the streetlights shine through the emptiness of the day that's getting darker. Both sides of my path, through the frosted glass, I realize all the gold I pass, yellow lights at that, boosts me into facts: I’ll be okay, even if it is last.

I arrive on her doorstep, shaking in my body and silence in my head. Finger pushing the doorbell, and soon enough she's in the doorway, staring at me curiously.

I hold out my hand, still shaking, but invitingly. She smiles, and I reciprocate. With that, no words are needed at the last minute of sunset.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back