A Solar variation of Necrosurgery

riven5

The title says it all.  You see, I have always felt a certain desire to play as an Abyssal necrosurgeon.  I couldn't tell you why.  Maybe it's the idea of creating gigantic killing machines from the flesh of my fallen enemies.  Maybe it's the desire to create life, which may be a link to some kind of maternal feature in my personality.  Maybe I'm reading into it far too much.

The point is, I would like to create a craft, and a few charms, which allow Solars to create minions of strength about equal to critters built through necrosurgery.

Now my question isn't about charms, that's easy enough.  Copy/Paste the Abyssal charms that deal with Necrosurgery (only Bone Graft Technique springs to mind) and call it something else.  The real question comes into play in regard to theme.  Thematically, it makes perfect sense for a Daybreak caste Abyssal, for example, to be a Necrosurgeon, trained by his Deathlord to twist the flesh of man and beast alike to create a horrific automaton made of bad, bad things.  That's not to say a Solar couldn't take Necrosurgery, that I have no problem with.  I can safely say I have created a few Solars that would be happy to take Necrosurgery.  

However.  Thematically speaking, I want an idea for a craft that permits for similar flexibility, similar versatility and similar power levels in the creatures it produces, but with a less death-oriented feel to it.

Here are two ideas I've considered so far.

1)  Imbuement-  The art of using essence to shape inanimate objects and turn them into autonomous creations.  Example: Using essence to shape a warbeast out of solid stone, create a butler out of saltwater or a golem wrought of dreams.  Would probably use Book of Bone and Ebony as template for creations.

Pros: Simply cool, seems fairly in theme with the Solars.  Loads of possibilities, remarkably different than necrosurgery.

Cons:  While different from Necrosurgery, it seems to stink of regular craft, through which one can simply build an automaton.  Has a bit of an elemental feel to it...which makes me think DB.

2) Warping-  The art of modifying...well...anything, really.  The idea is you'd use warping to give a person longer arms, better sight...or so far as giving them an exoskeleton made of adamant.  The idea is you'd probably use Wyld mutations as a template for the powers.

Pros:  Also cool.  Seems to have that benevolent-but-easily-abused feature that is perfect for the Solar Exalted.  

Cons:  VERY similar to Necrosurgery, except using living tissue.  Has a very Lunar-esque feel to it.

Alright, those are the two I have thus far.

Fleshcrafting, plain and simple...with the stipulation that the material (and the being to be augmented) must still be alive.

Moliation, with respect to living flesh. Or, if one prefers, Vicissitude.

I believe the new Craft: Genesis is right up your alley.
 Craft (Genesis) is a bit too First Age-y; there should be a AoS equivalent to Craft (Genesis), the same way the Five Crafts are AoS equivalents of Craft (Magitech).

True, Biotech then? It's essentially what the DBs made up in place of it. Sure it had definite differences, but the DBs can't really create life now.

I just had a quasi-horrible thought:

If and when a 2nd Ed version of Autochtonians is released, anyone care to bet against the existence of five new Crafts, corresponding to the five regular Elements in Autochthonia? (Smoke doesn't count.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back