• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Magical Jellyfish Girl Breaks Into Reality TV Island To Live A Normal Life!!!

Tau

2pi
The sun peeked between the cracks of the thick and gloomy clouds that blanketed the sky, barely illuminating the city of New Orbia. Defying the darkness of the weather, bright mage lights and runestones displayed a dazzling array of colors as a hundred different shops competed for the attention of pedestrians below, using titles, icons, and even friendly illusions. A friendly fairy beckoned toward a magic dust shop, a dental clinic proudly displayed an "orcs welcome" sticker on the window (no doubt because they were infamously tricky clients many dentists refused), and a hairstylist was offering the latest in enchanted hair dye: Dazzling Nebula.

New Orbia truly had something for everyone. Lying at the center of several major trade routes meant that many diverse races came to live (or at least trade) here, and that was reflected in the shapes that bobbed up and down on the streets. Giant orcs, tiny pixies, stout dwarves, lanky elves, and every once in a while, one with a shape harder to describe.

One such person was a young girl who appeared to be a simple human at first glance, aside from a strange, jello-like growth resembling a shower cap, sitting atop her long, blond hair. It bobbed slightly, wiggling a bit with each step she took and catching a few side-glances from passersby. She paid these no mind, instead running a hand through the bouquet of neatly-arranged flowers in her hand.

Eventually, she left the chaos of the streets and, after a short walk down a side-road, arrived at a massive graveyard. The place was neatly organized by race, making it easy for her to follow the signs to the "Mixed-race" section, and then approach the group gathered around a casket.

"He was more than just a friend… he was a life partner. A guy you could really count on to be there for you when you needed him, ready to help…"

Most of the people gathered were werewolves, given their excessively hairy limbs and faces. Given this, the girl stood out awkwardly, though the group was satisfied to accept her in their midst. After several more speeches, the casket was lowered into the ground amidst somber tears, and then the hole was filled back up. Most of the werewolves slowly wandered off to go about their day once again, but the girl stayed with a few others, stepping up to lay her flower bouquet at the gravestone.

"Miss…?" A lady dressed in black approached the girl, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Yes?" she replied.

"I’m Wolfgang’s granddaughter. Do you mind if I ask how you knew him?" the lady asked timidly.

"Uhm… well…" the girl shuffled her feet awkwardly. "I’m his sister."

"…huh?"

"I’m, uhm… I’m Turie. Wolfgang was my brother. My half-brother, rather…" she explained softly. From the bewildered look on the lady’s face, Turie could immediately gather her confusion. "I’m half jellyfish…" she explained, pointing to the jelly-like cap membrane around her hair.

"O-oh…?" she nodded her head, trying her best to be polite and not sound like an idiot. Turie still saw she didn’t understand the implications.

"It’s fine, I guess most people don’t know. We don’t age the same way, but I’m actually his sister. Or… I was." She glanced down at the gravestone that’d been placed there in his memory, wiping away a few tears from her ocean-blue eyes. "I guess now I don’t really have any family."

"Oh, don’t say that, dear!" the lady insisted, forcing herself to smile. "Come here!"

Before Turie could even react, she found herself pulled into a hug. "Please, don— ghck!" The lady had a strong grip and was squeezing Turie firmly on the sides. She felt her insides squish and constrict in unhealthy ways. Her face turned blue, and she had to fight just to remain conscious. "Plhz stph…" she choked out, but it was interpreted as a quiet sob and only caused her to double down on the hug.

Turie struggled deep inside herself to simply take the pain. Just fight through it! She could last through this! And the lady was basically done with the hug now, right?

"It’ll be okay, dear… I’m sure you’ll have a… jellyfish family of your own someday…" she consoled.

…okay, maybe she wasn’t done! As Turie felt the world slowly black out, she gave in and tapped the lady on the side with her finger, releasing a powerful shock.

"Owww!" she howled, recoiling in shock as she rubbed her side. Meanwhile, Turie collapsed on the ground, coiled up in intense pain. The werewolf, in her grief, didn’t seem to notice, and called her out. "Did you just sting me…!?"

"I-I’m… I’m sorry, I—"

"Why would you do such a thing…!? I was only trying to help!" She answered indignantly. Receiving no response, she shook her head in disbelief and wandered off after the others.

Turie felt like screaming, but her body couldn’t work up the energy even to do that. She was sprawled out on the ground like a crumpled up piece of paper. Every second she had to struggle just to stay awake, or even alive if things took a turn for the worse. Ever so slowly, she pushed her broken arm closer to her shirt pocket, and after what felt like an eternity, her finger touched her enchanted metal badge, pressing the button on the front.

The magic began to work instantly, re-inflating crushed organs, reshaping bent limbs, and generally restoring her to her normal self. Although she felt better physically, she didn’t even bother getting up. "Why’d I have to be born like this…?" she sighed. "I really am sorry…!" The apology wouldn’t help though. She was long gone. "What a great first impression…"

"Good morning, Miss Dohranian! Can you review these documents?"
"Miss Dohranian, I still need you to message our suppliers about that runic dust shortage!
"Aww, look how small and cute our manager is today~!"

That last one made her pause, the snarky bronze lizard-man having earned himself a few giggles from the others. She’d calmly stepped from the spatial relocator and into the 27-and-a-halfth floor of Chanticon’s corporate building: specifically the Enchantment Research Center. The floors, walls, and ceiling all shared two colors: either they were white, or they were black. It was drab and rather unwelcoming, but it was also professional and clean. Most of the people she worked with, despite keeping their distance, were at least as clean and professional as the walls. However, there were exceptions like this guy, and those exceptions had a tendency to become the norm if left alone.

Stepping back a few times, Turie glared at him, face displaying pure indignance. Unfortunately, right now in her age cycle, she was about as young as she could get: practically a child! And therefore, although the snarky researcher was sitting down, and herself standing up, their eyes were about level with each other. It didn’t help that he was a half-dragon either, naturally about a head taller than most.

"Are you implying I can’t do my job, Syver?"

"I’m not implying anything, missssss."

"Oh really?"

"Yesss." His tongue flickered out a bit. She wasn’t sure if this was playful or just subconscious on his part. Turie rolled her eyes and stepped forward to the whiteboard in the center of the room, clearing her throat to command the room’s attention.

"Great, well then! Tomorrow’s the big release, and I know we’re all ready to celebrate, but there’s a lot of last-minute testing to be done. We need this to be absolutely flawless! We can’t have summoned servants running around hurting people on day one or people may never trust summon baubles ever again."

A sharp-eyed elf with glasses raised his hand slightly before speaking. "Right, about the servant customization… are we sure about the demonkin option? You know how some people feel about them, yes?"

"I’m aware," Turie nodded. "But the data shows most people are open to having one as a servant, especially fake summons. It’s worth having the option."

"I’d rather have a little jellyfish sssservant~" Syver snarked again, leaning back in his chair and stroking the jellyfish plushie he’d custom-ordered specifically to get on Turie’s nerves. "She could play my wife on the weekdayssss, and my daughter on the weekendssss~!"

More chuckles echoed throughout the room as Turie clenched her teeth. What she wouldn’t give for a liiittle more authority, just to fire this guy! "Hilarious. This is my ‘amused’ face. Any more questions? No? Great, let’s get back to work!"

Turie collapsed into her couch, letting the cool water envelop her and wash away her stress. The entire day had been filled with constant scrambling to tie up loose ends, but it was looking like they were just about finished. Hopefully now the craziness should die down a bit and she could finally relax.

"Tuuuriiiiie!"

She sighed as the frantic, high-pitched whining echoed off of every wall of her house. Not long after, a bright-eyed young girl with two, perky hairbuns peeked her head around the corner that led to the kitchen. Turie also couldn’t help but notice a small cloud of smoke as well…

"Turie! Super quick question, mmk? Is it normal for your oven to have a buncha fire in it?"

"Not usually…"

"Okay! Be right back~"

"…"

Turie didn’t really need to share her home; she‘d paid off the mortgage years ago and had plenty of wealth to continue maintaining it. It was more pity (and maybe a pinch of loneliness) that’d led her to share her home with Moa. A decision she came to regret more with each passing day. A few minutes later, Moa burst back into the room and ran up to Turie, smiling. "Oohh, you’re relaxing in your aquarium? Neato. Was work bad today?"

"It’s a couch."

"Isn’t it an aquarium!? A large box filled with water sounds like an aquarium to me!"

"Aquariums are for fish."

"But aren’t you part fish…? So it’s an—"

"—It’s a couch, Moa! A Watercouch!"

"Okay, okay! A comfy watercouch! I don’t find it comfy though… it just looks wet and nasty…"

"…" Turie rolled her eyes and placed her thumb on the RTV remote. In front of her "watercouch" sat a special window, which sprang to life, and started shimmering. Moments later, it showed a whole other world, so detailed, it was as if she could step right into it. Another, simpler world, filled with simple people. "Would you like to watch RTV with me, or are you too busy burning down my kitchen?"

"Eww, no! You only ever watch the demonkin islands! It’s so… boring!" Moa rested her hand on her cheek. "It’s just a bunch of dummies doing nothing! Where’s all the explosions!? The flashy colors!? The magic~ The drama~!? The dramatic villain cackling in the corner!?"

"There’s drama! …Sometimes!"

"Meh. I’d rather burn down your kitchen. Kidding, of course~! Have fun with your boring show~" she winked, running back into the smoke. "And just you wait! Someday I’ll have the best bakery in Orbis. Then you’ll eat your words… and my cookies!"

"We’ll see."

Turie turned her attention to the world behind the window, flicking through a few different scenes. A couple kids cooking some awful-looking experiment in their kitchen. She chuckled. That sure was relatable. Next, a small feast with people celebrating and laughing together. How nice. Flicking forward a few more times, she paused on a simple village scene. It was so peaceful and so serene! A couple gardeners tending to their little farming patches, a few kids playing in the street with a ball, another couple hammering away at a half-constructed boat. No one frantically shouting questions about complex runic formulas or demanding immediate answers to error complaints from specific minority demographics. Just… quiet simplicity and simple community.

"Tuuuuuriiiiie! Is olive oil flammable!?"

…that sounded nice…

"What do you mean I can’t do the presentation!? I’m the project manager! I designed the product! No one knows more about it than I do!" Turie stood outraged as the sharply-dressed goblin— and more importantly, her boss —tried to deliver the news as gently as possible.

"We wanted ya to do it, but these delays, well… don’tcha think ya look a lil’… young, ta be presentin’ it to everyone?"

"So what…!? I’m not any dumber like this, if that’s what you’re implying."

"’Course not, we’d never! We’s just sayin’, some people might be a lil’… offput? …if a middle-schooler lectured ‘em on a new bauble! All we’s sayin’! Syver’ll do yer presentation good, I’s sure of it!"

A small crowd began to crowd around the two as they argued in the middle of the office.

"I’ve worked here at Chanticon for 30 years now! The reason you’re even on the map is because of my designs! If anyone should get to present the Summoner’s Badge, it should be me!"

"We’ve already made the decision, and dragonboy’s gettin’ ready as we speak. Sorry, Turie," he shrugged. "Maybe ya present the next one? What’s the rush anyway, donchu’ jellies live fer ever or somethin’?"

"That’s what I got told the last three times!" Turie shouted. "All I want is a little respect for everything I put up with and you can’t even give me that!?" She paused for a moment before adding, "I’m done!"

"…Yer jokin’, right?"

"Not at all! I quit!" Turie thrust her name card forward, storming for the spatial relocator and leaving a stunned crowd to watch her leave.

Tap tap tap…

"Turie…?" Moa glanced worriedly at her roomie. "You’ve been all slumped in your aquari— uhm… your couch, for a while now. Are you okay…?"

"I’m fine, Moa… I’m fine."

"But you don’t look fine! Not your usual jelly self anyway!"

Turie sighed. "I guess I’m just… tired, is all. I need a vacation. Somewhere relaxing, away from the city chaos. Somewhere… simple." Her eyes turned toward the RTV window as two fishermen demonkin prepared to push off in the boat. "Kind of like that…"

"Then I say you go!" Moa insisted. "No one works harder than you do. Take the best break ever, no matter how much it costs! Maybe to South Aragale! Or maybe you could spend some time in the ocean, communing with nature! There’s all sorts of places just like the demon isles that’re open to everyone! And don’t worry: I’ll keep your house nice and safe while your gone!"

"Riiiight… I’m hiring a maid."

"H-hey!" Moa pouted.

"But I think you might be right. And I just had a crazy idea for the best vacation ever…"

Skyswimsky Skyswimsky

Deep breaths. Closed eyes. A refreshing gust of wind. The young demonkin stood on top of the world. Quite literally, in fact. It felt amazing. Opening her eyes, being able to see the whole world below her. To the west, her tiny home. Surrounded by a vast ocean of sparkling stars. A usual deep and blue ocean that, at this time of the day, reflected the contents of the night sky right back at her. Past that, the End of the World. Visible in each cardinal direction, it made her feel just that much bigger.

Standing on the tallest steel hut of them all, the dreamer was sure she needed only a few more meters until she could touch the sun. Jump across the moon. To dance among the stars, and forget her duties and responsibilities for just a moment longer. For a moment, she wondered and questioned. Looking at the pitch-black ravines at the World's End surrounding them. Her thoughts, however, quickly got interrupted as suddenly - out of nowhere - a gigantic tsunami threatened to swallow her, and the world, whole!...

"Enough is enough..." An elderly voice spoke in frustration, scooping a bucket of water from the natural fountain inside the cave they were residing in and, without another warning, spilling its content all over the sleeping meditating young demonkin. "Aaaaaa!" The younger one of the two woke up in shock, flailing her flappy shamanic dress in a dramatic battle of balance, before rolling over and hitting her head on the cold rocky ground. "Owhowhowh!" Thankfully, demonkin were quite sturdy.

"What was that for!?" Quickly recovering and getting up, the now slightly wetter girl glared at the elderly woman in annoyance. "You know exactly why."

"I was in the middle of our medita-"

"Sleeping! You were sleeping."

"Haaaah? Why'd you assume that?!"

"Because you snore louder than my husband."

"I do not!" The elderly shook her head with a sigh. "Umi, you're a wonderful child and I believe you'll do an exceptionally good job in my stead. But sometimes, I wish, you'd take your duty more serious. The spirits may be calm right now but what if your behaviour angered them?"

"Well, then the spirits can..." The younger one, Umi, was about to speak up in protest but stopped. Scratching her head and sighing. "You know what day it is today! And we're stuck up in this pretty cave for like, half the day! Missing it all." A slight pout. The grandma sighed. "You're lucky I still haven't kicked the bucket. But you have to understand, that it's especially important to do what you have to do on days like these!"

"Yes ma'am!" She saluted her. "But as long as you're still around, you got my back, no? We've done this hundreds of times! And my super awesome kind and great grandma and super cool teacher can surely manage one day without her sleeping, but not snoring, assistant. Yeeeessssss???" She gave the elderly woman a puppy eye look until, with another sigh, the older one nodded with a smile. "Yes, yes. I understand. Go ahead, but make sure to bring me some of my favourites for tomorrow. You understand?"

"You're the best!" With a short hug, Umi said her goodbyes.

For a moment, Umi had to cover her eyes as she left the illuminated shaman's cave and stepped into the sun, which was already past noon. For a moment, Umi closed her eyes. Letting the gentle gusts of wind and fresh air glide over her skin as she mentally prepared for what would come next. In a way, she had just gotten the rest of the day off. And while her traditional garments were still wet, they were thankfully made out of a light material that would quickly dry. Those that didn't know any better, couldn't even be faulted to assume that her current attire was rather uncomfortable at these high temperatures.

"I hope I didn't leave you waiting for long..." The girl spoke to a majestic, fluffy, cat that was roughly the size of a horse and had a grumpy face. Sleeping in the shades of some rocks and a tree, the critter gave a meow before getting up and waddling over to Umi. On its back, a saddle, and with one smooth motion, Umi was on top. A quick glance back to the cave entrance, Umi shrugged. "Let's go!" Giving the giant cat a light tap, it started waddling down the hills. Towards the heart of the village...

The descent from the near-mountainous region of the small island towards the coast and harbour, the center of the village, was obviously a lot more relaxing if one was riding on top of a horse cat. But only for so long. Getting past the masons and miners, which were responsible for the only trade good that gave Makina - so the name of the island village - some notion of importance, Umi ultimately decided to continue her way down on foot. After all, she had been sitting cross-legged nearly all morning already and this way, she could race her pet to the village entrance proper. Past the farmers and housewives, whom they all knew by name. Past the village's resident weirdo and crazy guy who, thankfully, didn't seem home to bug Umi with another crazy conspiracy.

By the time Umi and her cat reached the more populated area of the village, close to the harbour, the sun had advanced quite a bit. "You really ought to lose some weight..." She petted the cat, getting a purr in return. "But there's no beating a demonkin's physique. At least not here..." She wondered. Of course, Umi had heard about the crazy animals from across the ocean. Stories, told by the very same sailors she so envied. "Well, let's get going!" Smiling at her faithful companion, it wouldn't even be ten minutes until she reached the harbour proper. And this time she didn't even need to run. Getting going after just a small breather.

Even if the Moonspirit Festival was still some time away, the harbour was bustling with activity. Seamlessly connecting to the village square turned marketplace. At this time of the year, one wasn't wrong to think of Makina nearly like a small city, rather than an isolated village. Sailors were unloading their wares. Others were selling their goods, trying to out-advertise each other with any means possible. Some houses, especially those of the wealthier villagers, had turned their homes into taverns and inns. Or both? Umi had never been sure of the difference. Nonetheless, plenty of chairs and tables were placed outside. And while most of the townsfolk were still busy doing their business, the temporary tavern owners were already attending to quite some happy patrons.

Guards were, of course, also par of the course. And while things had always been rather peaceful, the village head had made sure to hire a few extra hands. Mercenary work for easy money. Sometimes Umi wondered if she could do that, too. But at the end of the day, she hadn't seen too many female warriors.

Amidst the small pockets of crowds, stationed around certain points of interest, Umi did not have much trouble passing through. Thanks to her animal companion having enough of a majestic presence to make most people step away. Or, and especially kids, ask her to pet the grumpy looking cat. Of course, Umi wasn't one to deny these requests, and as grumpy looking as her companion was by default, she knew that the animal also enjoyed all the attention.

Ultimately, Umi left her fluffy companion with a pair of parents and their five or so kids. Tourists, as far as she gathered, with the youngest now pretending to be a queen on top of her royal horse... cat! And her older siblings pampering and spoiling her rotten. For Umi, this had now been background noise. As, instead, she was scanning an exotic fruit stand for the bestest and greatest fruit of them all. Slightly hairy, egg-shaped perfection. With a sweet yet sour taste that made her small demonic horns tingle just thinking about it.

Kiwis.

Tau Tau

Last edited:
Turie stood at the pier overlooking the Exorcism Divide. It was a massive, black abyss summoned and maintained by several large pillars stretching out of the ocean, although from the other side, the pillars, alongside everything else on Turie's side of the ocean, were entirely invisible. An entire outside world, shrouded to appear as nothing but pure darkness to those contained inside. Certain activists would call it an inhumane prison: a show to turn people into dancing monkeys for the world to watch. Those on the other end would call the very race of demonkin inhuman and therefore deserving of the inhumane.

Turie wasn't much for politics, but being a major fan of the show, she loved the demonkin. Everything about them: their unique lifecycle, their spiritualistic culture, their simple lifestyles... all televised right to her home. They were hardly sub-human. However, try as she might to ignore the political divide, this giant chasm was a stark reminder that their world was still one wishing to keep their race isolated. Most people had heard the stories: the demonkin were a fierce, intolerant race of conquerors with incredible innate magic strong enough to wipe out a small city... each. Unable to live in harmony with the other races, the world banded together against them and banished them to the Demonkin Isles, where their ability to use magic was suppressed by the water surrounding them.

That was the official story anyway. Nowadays, it was hard to imagine them as anything but "The people on the screen." It'd certainly helped generate sympathy, if nothing else. That said, the idea of an outsider coming in was scandalous... and exactly what Turie was set to do.

"Quite a sight, eh?" an elderly merman with a fancy black hat adorned with a gold badge chuckled as he leaned his arm on the pier. Turie nearly jumped having heard him behind her and whipped around to glance at him as he continued. "Ain'tcha a bit far from home, miss jellyfish?"

"I'm half jellyfish, actually," Turie rolled her eyes.

"Oh... ooohhh..." he nodded as two waves of understanding hit him one after the other. "Right, yeah... that must be hard, sorry."

"It's fine..." Turie nodded, smiling at the friendly merman's understanding of her plight.

"Anyway, I'm the security guard here. Gotta make sure folks like yerself don't go in for a swim and suddenly get swallowed by eternal darkness and all that." He clicked his... tongue(?). "Not a pleasant way to go if you ask me."

"It's not darkness." -- "...eh?" -- "The Exorcism Divide... it's not 'darkness' as you say. It's a void barrier. See the water at the divide? It's not just shrouded, it's being disturbed. Anyone trying to pass wouldn't just be 'swallowed,' they'd be cut and diced into atoms by the void... instantly."

"...That's awfully uhh... knowledgeable. How old are you exactly?"

Turie crossed her arms. "That's not a nice thing to ask a lady!" she protested.

"Gahaha! I suppose you're right, sorry," he tipped his hat. "Well then: please stay out of the lake so you aren't atomized by the void, miss."

"Mhm... thanks. I'd very much like to avoid that too..."

"Okay!" Turie let out a burst of energy as she laid out a map of the Demonkin Isles on her table. Thankfully, over the last few days, she'd grown to about the point of a teenager, and no longer had to stand on a chair to see the top. "Three problems to tackle! First: I need a disguise so they think I'm one of them."

Moa glanced over the map inquisitively. "Why can't you trust me to take care of your house...!?"

"I'm glad you asked~" Turie smiled, completely ignoring the actual question and revealing a giant, bulbous hat, placing it on her head to cover her natural, jell cap. "Ta-da~"

Moa snickered, covering her mouth in an attempt to stifle the laugh. Very quickly, she was overwhelmed, and found herself rolling on the ground in laughter. "Ahahaha~! That looks so stupid!" she giggled. "You'll definitely stand out!"

"Well I'm sure they'll appreciate it!" Turie pouted. "You're the one who thinks the whole show is 'boring' anyway, so your opinion doesn't count!"

"Suuuure," Moa returned a smug look and a shrug. "Well, it's definitely big enough to hold horns. And a refridgerator! Ahahahaha~!"

Turie rolled her eyes and continued. "AHEM! Problem number two! Avoiding the cameras so the Directors don't notice me."

"Aww, you won't be on RTV...!?" Moa whined.

"Of course not! Even disguised, people would recognize me." -- "You know, most people think of 'disguise' as more than just a hat..." -- "So I'm going to live here for my vacation month!" Turie pointed her finger to... well, it almost just looked like water. Only when she pulled her finger back up could Moa notice a tiny little 'dot' island on the map. "It's so small that they only have a couple cameras set up. I can easily avoid them."

"You know, maids can be expensive, and for a whole month, imagine how much you could save if--"

"And problem three! I have to actually live there. On such a small, plain island, there's no supermarket with common essentials you can just buy!" Turie explained.

Moa gasped. "WHAT!? How can you live without supermarkets? How would you get food? There no way you could hunt for it with your squishy little body!"

"Well that's easy. I don't actually need food to survive." -- "Eh...?" -- "Yep. I only eat it for the taste. My 'squishy little body' doesn't really need food." -- "Doesn't need... food...?"

Turie rolled her eyes as Moa stared off into space, her brain broken by the strange realities of jellyfish physiology. "I'm mostly concerned with wild animal attacks and shelter, which is why I packed several enchanted tokens. I should be able to hold them back if it comes down to it, but I'll try to partner up with others when I leave town."

"Aren't you forgetting something important...?" Moa pointed out. "The giant wall of dark death!?"

"Oh, that? Pfft, not a problem." -- "What...?" -- "Void energy is easy to suppress if you know what you're doing. I'll swim right through." -- "Over a hundred kilometers!?" -- "Uhm... yes?"

The two shared a strange look before Moa's face lit up in realization. "Oh, right! Jellyfish! ABABA-- HALF jellyfish!"

"Thanks," Turie nodded, appreciating the correction. "Be nice to the maid while I'm gone."

"Hmph... no promises..."

Turie cut through the water with a leisurely wiggle of her entire body. She'd carefully watched the border guards to watch for an opening, determining that 4am was the perfect time for her great reverse-escape. She carried a large bag behind her filled with the basic necessities for a good vacation, the hat firmly on her head already. Best get used to wearing it now.

Even despite her confidence in the magic behind it, Turie still felt some nervousness as she approached the Exorcism Divide: a giant wall of blackness that would rip her apart in an instant, and she was ready to swim right in. Yikes. Steeling her resolve, she held a opalescent orb on her hand and squeezed, a large bubble forming around her and cutting into the black abyss. Satisfied that it was working, she swam right in, and before she knew it, she was across.

Turie surfaced, just to take a look back from whence she'd come. Much like the stories, there was just... nothing. The dark abyss truly looked like the end of the world: a black abyss that, from her end, appeared several meters in length, but from this end, continued for eternity, blotting out the entire world beyond. Crazy.

Pulling out her (well laminated) map and orienting herself, she dove back under the water and continued. It'd be quite a travel until land, so she may as well enjoy the trip, and indeed, it was certainly beautiful. Colorful corals, field of seaweed, shimmering fish, and a glistening surface refracting beautiful lines of light onto the sandy floor... she just hoped there weren't any sharks on the journey. Sharks really were the worst.

It'd taken the entire day (with a few hours to spare) to swim the distance, even with Turie's especially fast swimming. But... finally... the sandy floor began to rise and Turie spotted land. Good thing she hadn't missed it; maps really weren't made for travelers under the ocean. Above, she saw the butt end of boats traveling to the island, and on the shore, the shapes of several people, distorted by the wavy refractions of the water above her. Were those the demonkin? Was she really here!? Turie smiled.

Without wasting another second, she surfaced from the water, flicking every drop of moisture out of her clothes and hair with a mere wave of her hand. She felt refreshed. That was a long, yet relaxing swim, and she was well hydrated, but more than that, here, in this place, there were no responsibilities! No one to ask her to do things… just plain and simple villagers, doing…

She glanced around. What… were they doing…? This was an awful lot of demonkin for such a tiny island! First things first, Turie raised a small glass monocle with golden edging to her eye, revealing two shiny red spots in the (very) far distance. Cameras. One for the central street, and another seemed to be pointed toward a distant shore which, when she’d checked, she’d learned was mostly there to capture the fishermen as they left.

She returned the monocle to her pocket. Now that she knew where the cameras were, they should be easy enough to avoid. Stretching her arms, Turie let out a joyful sighing noise and skipped up to the harbor with a spring in her step. So many horns! Everyone appeared to be very excited… was this a festival!? What timing! Pulling a shiny pearl out from her bag, she turned it around in her hand, glancing around in the market. Step one towards the best vacation ever was to earn herself a bunch of money by selling this rare pearl, which was, of course, totally trivial to create with magic, but here, an incredible rarity!

…there wasn’t a convenient "pearl merchant" here was there? Maybe she’d just go around and ask each merchant one-by-one if they’d be willing to buy it off her. Oo, and in a simple, non-corporate place like this, maybe they’d even barter! Bartering sounded fun!

Last edited:
"I'll take five of these! Two pomegranates and..." Finally having found a fruit stand that sold all kinds of exotics from across the sea, Umi made sure to keep herself stocked up until her next visit to the harbour, buying enough to also bribe her oh-so wise mentor. Just as she had requested. "Here you go, Umi, I've put in some extra..." The demonkin handed her a basket that was filled with various fruit, giving her a hearty laugh. "Thank you very much!" Umi gave him a nod. Despite him not being from here, they already knew each other. Even if they all came from overseas, it being their job, it had only been a question of time.

Turning around, she was just about to leave as he asked. "Say, Umi, isn't it about time for your growth?" Just to flip around once again, facing him. "I knoooww!" She pouted. "I'm sure it'll happen soon! How long has it been now? Five years?" The sailor tilted his head, about to say something clearly worrying as their attention suddenly shifted towards a singular, loud, individual.

"ALIENS!!!!" A coarse voice could be heard. Unique, and loud enough, to gather the attention of most. It was a male, middle-sized demonkin with a straw hat and unkempt hair and beard that came walking to the shoreline. His steps full of intention, though one really had to wonder what he was out for if not for a swim. "I AM TELLING YOU! WE'RE ALL IN A DREAM!" He continued to yell. A few people already starting to pay him no more mind and going about their usual business, while others simply rolled their eyes or looked at him in amusement.

"Oh, oh no. Not again." Umi murmured upon seeing this.

"Mommy look it's the crazy guy from last year!" A child with clothes that spoke "city folk" all over pointed him before his mother could shush him away. A few guards already moved closer. "I can see the fear in your eyes! The confusion b-" He pointed aggressively at the crowd, staring each one deep into their soul. "YYOOUU!!" Until his finger stopped towards Turie, the corners of his nose aggressively moving up and down as if sniffing something out. "I can sense it!" He continued on, walking aggressively towards Turie.

"Please no..." Umi too; hurried with swift steps towards the two. Technically, she was like the third in charge! Or maybe fifth? Certainly something in the single digits! Thus, in a way, she also did represent the reputation of Makina. And if last year was anything to go by, letting Crazy Billy go on for much longer would certainly have some sort of consequences!

"I CAN SEE IT!" He repeated, once again, agitated. "Cursed child! Witch! You can not betray MY nostrils!" He grabbed Turie by her shoulders rather firmly as he now was next to her. "You're woke!" Youth slang has certainly not been a thing that existed here. "Tell them! TELL THE WORLD FROM W-" Luckily for Turie, he released his grip on her as a guard pulled him away. "It's each year the same with you!" He scolded Crazy Billy. "And each year, you're given another chance! If I were in charge, I'd throw you-"

"BOLLOCKS! Can you not see?! Is the dust of sleep blinding your VISION?!" The demonkin tried to flail himself free.

"Ahem..." Umi cleared her throat as she stood right next to the other three. "Buehuecoyotilly Cuaquepi." It was extremely rare to address other Demonkin with their full names, and depending on the situation could range from great insult to the utmost respect. "I do NOT have to remind you what happened last year, do I?" The small shaman-in-training gave Billy a bright smile, who in turn fell silent for a moment. "I appreciate your help." She gave the guard an understanding nod, who in turn carried the still protesting Billy away.

"Ah..." Somewhat worried-looking, Umi now turned to Turie. "You have my utmost apologies, ma'am!" She gave Turie a bow. "I am deeply sorry for what happened, and I assure you this will NOT happen again. He's the exception to our norm. Yes, most certainly indeed." She paused for a brief moment.

"I am Makina's fledging Shaman, Ummchiuhtlicuei Ilhuicaatl." In this instance, it certainly was a sign of respect. "Is there something, anything, I can help you with to make your stay more comfortable?" She stared down at the fruit basket she still held in one of her hands. "Starting with a kiwi, mayhaps?" Going so far as to offer up her precious treasure!

Tau Tau

"Excuse me, miss," Turie waved, approaching what appeared to be one of the wealthier merchants, given the elegant dress she wore, and the fine jewelry she was selling. "This might be... an awkward request, but I was uhm... exploring, when found this pearl, and--"

The transaction was interrupted before it even got off the ground as the sharp, gravelly voice cut into her ear. Aliens!? Turie felt her heart sink in her chest. Crap crap crap!! Had her hat been ripped? Fallen off? No, it was still firmly on her head. Then why...? What had given her away!? She turned slowly to face the source of the voice, already playing through excuses in her head. How was it best to get out of this? She needed an out!

The two locked eyes. He looked, to Turie, rather... unhinged. Like he'd seen things he shouldn't have. Unfortunately, on his end, he could sense her guilt near instantly. He was clearly looking for someone out of place and Turie was an obvious choice if ever there was one. She stepped back a few times, but his approach was fierce, swift, and most of all bold.

"Witch...!? I'm an ennnnnchanting young lady!" she answered, almost falling into the habit of making the same correction she was used to. He wasn't the slightest bit impressed by the pun. Quite the opposite, in fact. Turie heard a sickening mix of a crunch and a squish as her shoulder was grabbed with a firm grip. She bit her lower lip, forcing herself to keep at least a semblance of normalcy on her face.

Thankfully, he was dragged away quickly, and for the most part, no one was buying his claims. Haha! Her disguise was working perfectly... minus the one guy of course. But one could be dealt with as long as the others were on board! Turie watched through eyes that were quickly growing watery from the pain as a small girl stepped up and lectured the bold man for shouting her out. That was nice of her! Sorta.

She continued to introduce herself with a name that Turie would almost certainly not remember properly, though she was having some trouble concentrating on anything considering her arm was swinging like a limp tail. "Nice to meet you...!!!" Turie squeaked with the fakest smile ever emoted, eyes tearing up like faucets at this point. Positioning her good arm into the pocket on the front her jacket, she squeezed the reinflation bauble. This particular enchantment was subtle enough that its healing pulse was hidden by her jacket... aside from the weird shifting of her shoulders that was. If this little shaman was watching closely, Turie's shoulders vaguely resembled balloons inflating underneath the sky-blue jacket.

Turie let out an audible sigh of relief and rolled her shoulders a bit, staring down at the young shaman who'd just introduced herself. "Cute...!" Turie exclaimed with a hand over he mouth as the girl held up a basket of fruit. Ignoring the offer, she stepped forward and instead wrapped her arms around the girl to give her a hug, figuring this was much better than a kiwi.

...except that most hugs implied some form of squeezing. Turie was squeezing, of course, but despite using all her might, to this girl of a stronger-than-average race, it felt more like a large water balloon had been draped over her... like Turie had no bones or even muscles in her body. It was just plain unnatural. Meanwhile, on her end, Turie felt like this little shaman was an immovable mountain... a tiny one! Then again, that was how she always felt around everyone, so nothing remarkable there.

Turie stepped back and pat the little shaman on the head a few times before introducing herself. "I'm..." she paused. Turie did have an awfully obnoxious full name, but it wasn't the slightest bit demonkin; rather, a traditional jellyfish name. It would undoubtedly stick out. "...call me Turie. I'm just here on vacation! Oh!" Turie wore a gleeful smile as an idea crossed her mind. "Althooough, since the cutest shaman is offering... a tour of the village might be nice~! Erm... except for that street over there: it terrifies me for reasons too complicated to explain."

Turie pointed to a street off in the distance running through the main part of the village, which, unbeknownst to the ignorant villagers, was being televised to, last she checked, several thousand people. It was actually a pretty small audience compared to other cameras in the Demonkin Isles, but she wasn't worried about the viewers as much as the administrators.

"Urm..." Suddenly, Umi found herself in a somewhat awkward position. The tourist was somewhat touchy. Though it wasn't the first time it happened to Umi. Some demonkin were just really touchy, others experienced pre-mature growth and continued on with assumptions that every demonkin worked like that, and then there were simply some folk that had weird customs and practices.

Umi was thinking for a moment about where Turie could be from. She was rude enough in her introduction, though seemed to do more so on accident. She also wore really weird clothes! Especially the hat - not that Umi was one to judge. And then there was something weird going on below her clothes, too! There was also the incredible weak hug she had just received. So weak that Umi had to wonder if it was even a hug in the first place. Sure, some demonkin were weaker than others, but this was on a whole different level? Maybe Turie was an incredible strong demonkin that had trouble controlling their strength?! And, lastly, the hat-wearing demonkin seemed to have some sort of phobia? All this... did not seem to fit anything that Umi knew before! That was...

As Turie seemed to wait for an answer, she could see how Umi was deeply in thought. Too long, in fact, if Turie was to be an impatient half-jellyfish. Or maybe Turie's pat just broke the slightly smaller girl? Umi's face seemed to be void of emotions as her eyes seemingly wanted to pierce right through Turie - especially her gigantic hat.

"YES!" Umi suddenly called out, nearly about to jump up into the air from excitement. Her eyes had a certain sparkle to them as she regained some of her composure. "I'd love to give you a tour!" For all the wrong reasons. "This is your first time in Makina?" She then added, before putting two fingers in her mouth and giving a quick whistle. "This is Fluffles!" She introduced the gigantic, fluffy, grumpy looking cat that reacted nearly instantly. Greeting the two of them with a meow. "She's a Gicat! I don't know who came up with the name but it's actually super simple and I think it means gigantic cat? They're native to this island, but we've domesticated them!" It seemed like Umi's tour already started. "They're not for sale." She added in a way as if she had said these sentences countless times before.

"But Fluffles can be your ride if you want to? Do you have any weird animals back home?" Gesturing inviting at the saddle on top of the cat. "Which place are you from anyway? Also most of the, uh, cool things? Are further outside our village. I'm not sure if you want to see them all today? Does everybody wear such a big hat at your place?"

It seemed like Umi was considering showing Turie part of the place today and tomorrow, as opposed to simply today. Considering how late it was, they'd maybe tour the night? It was well-known that demonkin had no issue seeing in the dark. So Turie could be sure that there was a guaranteed lack of artificial light sources from the villager's side.

Tau Tau

"...?" Turie tilted her head curiously as the little shaman with the complex name simply stared at her. Was she starting to believe the whole "alien" thing? Surely not! After all, she'd just insisted the guy was crazy, so why would she pivot so quickly? Her hat was still concealing her jelly cap (and of course, the lack of horns). Surely she must be thinking of something else.

...but then she suddenly answered with such gusto that Turie stepped back and nearly toppled over backwards. "O-okay, great!" Turie answered awkwardly, not sure why the change in her attitude. Still, a tour was a tour, and whatever her reasons, Turie was happy to accept the hospitality. This was why she loved these places! So darn welcoming... especially compared to the big cities she was used to. Blech.

"Mhm, I'm new here! I felt I needed a vacation from the city life, so-- what is that!?" she cut herself off as a mammoth of a cat suddenly bounded up close, its landing producing a large gust of air from its gigantic size. She didn't recall seeing that on any of the cameras, and the reason was made fairly obvious as soon as the little shaman mentioned what they were. Native to the island, huh?

"Gicat...?" she smiled nervously. Cats had a tendency to like fish. To like... eating fish. Of course, she wasn't exactly a traditional fish: more just of the general aquatic species category, and even then only half. Still, it was enough reason for concern, given how enormous this cat was! Would it even feel it if she tried to sting it in self-defense? Hopefully she'd never have to find out. Domesticated was domesticated, right? It should be safe.

Giving Fluffles a concerned look, Turie swiftly shimmied to the side and leapt up onto the saddle, figuring the creature's back would be a much safer place than where its claws and mouth resided. She took a seat right behind the little shaman and wrapped her arms around her to keep steady. Once again, it was made clear just how light she was. As Fluffles moved around, Turie's arms hardly put any pressure on the little shaman to keep steady. It felt like a pillow was clinging to her rather than a real person.

"Weird animals...?" Turie echoed, considering it. Of course the answer was a resounding "Yes!" Just about everything in the outside world would be weird to this little shaman. The question was simply what she should answer to avoid troubling suspicion. "Well, most of the animals in the city are either pets or pests, but yes, some of them might seem pretty weird compared to a... gicat," she nodded, concluding her vague answer and moving the subject right along.

"I'm from Teayo City," Turie repeated her well-rehearsed answer. It was the perfect location because it was at the opposite end of the Demonkin Isles, and therefore would be least well known to most (hopefully all) of this island. "I just wear the hat for personal reasons; it's a long story. I don't want to take that much of your time: maybe just take me to the most interesting place and point out all the important spots along the way?"

As the sun began to set, Turie likewise began to emit a faint blue glow from her skin. Or perhaps she always had been glowing and the fainter light simply made it more obvious. Turie knew the latter was the case, but it was hard to tell by sight alone. Unfortunately, she'd grown so accustomed to it, she didn't even notice as it grew more and more overt (especially to the sharp eyes of the little shaman, who had Turie's glowing arms wrapped right around her).

Skyswimsky Skyswimsky

"Urm..." Once again, Umi found herself in a place she hadn't imagined to be. It wasn't the first time that city-folks weren't aware of how to mount a Gicat and thus, upon seeing Turie delaying, she instinctively showed Turie how to get on top of Fluffles. That would have been all fine and good, if not for the other demonkin to suddenly move into action and settle down behind Umi! And, once again, the young shaman was left baffled. It was more as if she wearing a pillow on her back! Did Turie have some sort of sickness? Something Umi would certainly ask, in due time.

Regardless, for the time being, Fluffles didn't seem to mind, and neither did Umi enough even though she initially intended to walk beside her big cat. "Right now we're at the heart of our, uh, lovely little village! Especially so close to the Moonspirit Festival, you'll find plenty of things coming from our locals, and abroad! So it'll be exciting for everybody!" Making sure to attach the fruit basket safely, Umi seemed to have started her tour. "There will also be plenty of Moonstone figurines to buy." Moonstone was a near-white rock that made Makina important enough to be even considered a village to trade with. Of course, a tourist like Turie was obviously aware of that already! "But, honestly, I think you can buy better stuff from just outside the village." She certainly did a good job selling her local goods. The cat now started moving... .

"To the left we have Kyo's hut! His wife makes the most bestest apple pie I've ever eaten!" ...
"So you said you're from Teayo City? Not often we have people from all over there! But I know a few." ...
"To the left is the mayor's hut! He's a very busy man but, I'm practically third or fourth or something like that in charge here." ...
"This one is Dampé's place. He's most often out on the sea, communicating with our ancestors..." ...
"The big hut here belongs to the Atsutane's! Their last name is weird - and easy - enough that we call em like that. Big family and all. They also host this weird game of Catacombs and Sea Dragons." ...
"You wear your hat for personal reasons? What personal reasons? Do you have small horns?" ...
"If you're looking for a place to sleep, Auntie Maki got you! She's not my aunt but everybody calls her that. Though she's been demanding higher and higher prices year for year. She's having this crazy theory that each year the merchants become richer and richer, so it's only fair to adjust her prices too. I think? I'm mostly just around because they stock on this super weird drink called soda!" ...

Despite all, if not, all places in the village just being a "hut", without much special to it. Umi seemed to know a little bit and everyone. Giving it all a more personal touch while either being one of the worst tour guides, ever. Or maybe Turie would find herself even engaged. Nonetheless, after theoretically introducing nearly everybody that was living inside the village by name, the two+cat were now about to move to the outskirts. And by the off chance the two would meet any of the alleged residents, Turie was able to introduce herself right there, too. Though she hadn't shown Turie where Umi herself lives.

"Fields" ... "More fields!" ... "And this is my little patch!" It was a small field of farmland overgrown by weeds and debris. "I've been trying to make kiwis work! Oh, and here are some of the stonecutters I've told you about! Personally, I like Ferghus artwork the most. He's actually from overseas, has a unique personality, AND has a tendency to break most of his things. But what he finishes looks really cool! Says it's inspired by his travels" The cat was now moving up, clearly into the island's interior that could, at its centre, be pretty much called a small mountain. "Did you come all the way alone from Teayo? Usually, you bunch arrive in a big ship. Oh! And here is crazy billy's hut. He says really weird stuff, as you've witnessed. But he is actually a nice person."

"And here we are!"
Sounding somewhat relieved, as if getting to the actual good part, Umi gestured towards a small piece of grass and stone blocks. Looking quite inconspicuous if not for the dense gathering of fireflies that were now already out at this time of the day... or night. "We have a few places to commune with the spirits of nature. And this is one of them. I suppose you could call it my workplace! I could also try palm read-" Umi stopped mid-sentence as she now looked instinctively down.

"Urm..." Ultimately, Umi had never been one to really mind her words. And on top of being pillow weight, Turie was also now glowing! She had never seen a glowing demonkin before. In fact, it seemed faint enough thanks to her night-vision to really notice. Until it was now in stark contrast, anyway. "Why are you glowing?" Umi simply asked. "And speaking of, you seem super weak, too!" She added. It was clear from Umi's voice she didn't mean anything suspicious or mean by it. It was simply mere curiosity.

"Mhm, mhm," Turie nodded along to the little shaman's tour (seriously, how was she supposed to shorten her name!?). Fluffles was a delightful ride: soft and smooth. All that made perfect sense come to think of it: cats were notorious for being very graceful creatures, and that evidently remained true even in giant form.

Throughout most of the tour, Turie appeared to zone out a bit. In reality, she was paying some attention, but mostly was just basking in the calm simplicity of the quaint little village. It was lovely!

Shortly after, however, she found herself thrown out of it as some of the little shaman's words of explanation turned to questions, aimed at herself. "Uhm... yes! My horns are very small, and I am too embarrassed to show them!" she declared in a manner that was oddly bold for someone admitting to shame. "The hat is cute though, right?" She thought so anyway! Moa simply had no taste.

"Soda is actually pretty common in the city," Turie explained one of the few bits of so-called 'Demonkin Lore' she actually knew about. Of course, it was even more common on the outside, but here, it had made its rounds in a big way. Some things truly were universally innate: love, hatred, competition, soda... "They have all kinds of flavors too. Though the best is seaw-- I mean... vanilla cola!" she caught herself.

Turie took a side-glance at the poor, neglected kiwi farm; or if it wasn't neglected, it certainly was in terms of farming skill. Clearly, this little shaman did not have a green thumb. Maybe she'd return this shaman the favor for the tour. She did bring some special baubles for this kind of thing, assuming she might wish to grow some food of her own without actually having the strength to till anything.

"I traveled a long way, for sure..." Turie nodded vaguely and swallowing in concern when she pointed out 'Crazy Billy's' hut. "He seems like a very... open-minded person." Brilliant was the word that came to mind first, but of course she couldn't admit that. To learn about magic without a teacher... it was nearly impossible. If he was onto things, the guy must be some kind of underappreciated genius.

Smiling, Turie's eyes followed the shaman's gesture to the little pile of rocks. "Commune with the spirits of nature..." she echoed, wondering if there wasn't some truth to the specialness of this place. The thought was interrupted, however, as the shaman pointed out an obvious fact: she was glowing. At first, she was about to give her usual answer of "Oh, it's just my race," before realizing that she was supposed to be, by implication, a demonkin. Well crap.

"U-uhm..." she felt a drop of nervous water (technically sweat, but much closer to water than most) trickle down the side of her face. She glanced around, hoping for some kind of inspiration, and by lucky happenstance, received a semi-believable answer in the form of a bioluminescent insect. "It's probably my diet of fireflies!" she answered, forcing a smile. "I first started eating them to lose weight, but then this started happening! And I prefer the term 'dainty!'" she pouted. Why'd everyone always have to call her weak. There were more ways to be strong than physical strength!

[ Collab with Skyswimsky Skyswimsky ]​

"Fireflies? Lose weight? Dainty?" Umi repeated the words of Turie's explanation one after the other. Somewhat confused as if not really sure about the meaning of them. "I've never heard of something like that!" It was hard to believe, but then again, other city folks she knew also told hard-to-believe stories. BUT, they had no reason to lie. "I can only recommend you kiwis instead!" For a moment, her body stiffened in terror. "Does that mean my skin will turn all hairy and rough? How long have you been eating, urm, fireflies?!"

"Urm..." Turie scrated the side of her head. "My whole life. I guess?" she answered. "I think you'll be fine. People who eat a lot of oranges don't turn orange, after all!"

"Then how do fireflies work?" Umi asked in all seriousness. "And you've been eating fireflies all your life!?!?" She gasped upon hearing this, shifting her weight on Fluffles. She had heard about some weird foodstuffs from the city before. Something like Meatans, who were only eating meat! No kiwis at all. "But... but..." Umi was at a loss for words for the time being. "So, they're tasty then?" She asked. In fact, she had never thought about eating fireflies before.

"Well... bioluminescence..." Turie smiled, giving only a vague answer to the shaman's question. "And... well... if you season things properly, anything can be delicious!" Wishing desperately to change the topic, Turie dismounted the giant Fluffles with a leap and landed softly on the ground, joining the little, glowing bugs near the neatly arranged stones.

"I’d like to take a look, if you don’t mind," she smiled up at the shaman, turning away to face the makeshift circle and rummaging around in her jacket pocket for the right bauble. It was kinda hard find the right one from touch alone since she had so many. Emergency re-inflation runestone, mobile home construction unit (definitely don’t wanna activate that one), ah! There it was! Turie pulled out a gold-embellished monocle and raised it to her eye, peering closer at the little area. A materialization point, marked as a green dot, laying at the end of a long, long mana conduit, appearing as a purple capable stretching deep into the earth.

Turie nodded in understanding. This was what was known as an "insertion point." The Demonkin Isles were maintained mostly by the Sovereign Cooperation, which received special funding by multiple governments across the globe. However, they also made a great deal of money broadcasting the daily lives of the Demonkin, and it helped keep interest high to influence things a bit, so each island had a theme. Some even called them "genres." On some islands, insertion points would add various wild animals, often magically modified to be even more deadly, to turn it into more of a survival game. Knowing Makina’s reputation for "quiet simplicity," the most this insertion point likely added was these fireflies. There was probably also a larger one somewhere that had introduced the gicats at some point.

"It’s definitely a very… uhm… spiritual place! I can feel it!" Turie smiled, putting away her monocle and hopping back on Fluffles. "Did you recognize this spot yourself? That’s actually really impressive…!"

Despite Turie's strength level being noticeably low, she quickly jumped off Fluffles and went closer to the small insects. For a moment, Umi assumed she was about to catch and eat some. Maybe even share. Instead, however, she took one of these things out that only really, really, rich tourists had before suddenly asking Umi out of the blue. "Urm..." She tilted her head, having been somewhat lost in thought. Before shaking. "N-No! There's someone wiser than me! My teacher. She's the village's shaman." Umi did clarify she was just a 'fledging', yes? Yes. "But there are more spots like these, too! Though I'm sure you're exhausted from your long travel?" While she had offered to give the big-hatted girl a tour, it was now quite late, and Umi was really, really, hungry...

"Hm… right, yes," Turie nodded. "I’m just a bit excited to start this vacation, but you’re right to say I’m pretty tired from all that swi— I mean boating! Boat travel!" She smiled.

"So let's head back then! I've shown you a few hotels you can stay at, yes?" Having the chance to be alone on Fluffles, Umi also dismounted the grumpy cat before Turie had a chance to cling on her again.

"Hm, that would be a normal thing to do, I guess…" Turie pondered the suggestion, revealing the giant pearl. "Do you think this is enough to pay for the night?"

Umi looked rather unimpressed at the gigantic pearl Turie had just produced. "Oh, one of these? Did you find them at the beach? Usually we got a few divers, selling them for cheap! But sometimes they also wash up on the shores." Getting closer, she inspected it more. "Though it seems quite big!"

"What…?!" Turie exclaimed, realizing her entire plan for money just went down the drain. "Oh… well… I guess I’ll just have to live somewhere out here then…" she considered, wondering where a small-sized house could be hidden. "Anyway, thank you for the tour!"

Umi fell silent for a moment. Immediately thinking she could live at her place! It wasn't the first time, and neither was Umi much home anyway. But thinking back to the last disaster. "Hmm..." But, then again, Turie was from the furthest city in existence! At least according to the maps. And this was the perfect chance to ask her all the things.

Maybe she'd find out about some firefly recipes, too. Not to mention, city-folk often reacted weirdly to such friendliness. Not used to it, and all, apparently. Though there was no harm in offering, was there? "You can come to my place!" She nodded, trying to hide her growing excitement. "And I'm sure you could get a lot of money for your rich-person eye-ring! Didn't you need to afford the fare anyway?" On second thought, something seemed fishy...?

"W-well, the pearls are worth more in Teayo, see…" Turie hastily explained, not sure in the slightest whether or not it was true. "But I can’t sell this! It would be very irresponsible of me, and you’d all get in a lot of trouble." She paused a moment, focusing on the more important question. Staying at the little shaman’s home. Disaster waiting to happen, or lucky break? She wasn’t sure. Her inflatable home still had some necessary appliances inside, so she’d have to build it one way or the other. Maybe they could be neighbors! That sounded neat.

"Hm… alright, sure," Turie nodded her approval, hopping back on Fluffles. "Lead the way."

"Yes?...." Umi mumbled upon Turie's confirmation, actually not having thought she'd agree to it. "...Y-Yes! Yay!" Much excitements! Though quickly regaining her composure, the Demonkin cleared her throat. "Ahem. I mean, sure. I'll show you my home. It's actually a bit outside the village, too! To better commune with the spirits." She explained. "But you don't need to worry. They won't bite." Clearly a joke, Umi gave Fluffles a slight squeeze so the Gicat would move on.

It didn't take the two too long to get to yet another cabin. Made out of mud, straw, and wood just like the others, but just a little bit more sizeable than most of the ones she had seen on the outskirts. In fact, from the looks of it, it had a smaller second floor on top of the first one even! And thus, also a balcony with some plants, rocks, and other stuff.

"Tada!" Umi jumped from Fluffles up to the roof. Demonkin truly were kind of scary, huh? "Welcome to my humble... place!" Yeah, simple words. Jumping down from the roof, which really was just two meters or so, she opened the door. No key.

The inside was cozy, but also simple. If the loss of modern comfort didn't hit Turie before, it certainly did now. The entire first floor was mostly just one big room with something that was comparable to a kitchen unit and a living room. There was a small fireplace in front of an apparent dining table and some chairs. A couch covered in some sort of fluffy fur and a few cabinets and bookcases.

A second door on the outside was leading to the backside of the hut while another two doors lead to a very sporadic bathroom and a small shrine-like place. Rather than stairs, however, was a ladder to get up to the second floor, though the dust on it was evident of barely being used. Maybe they just jumped up?

"Urm, I only got one bed but it's reaaalllyyyy big. You wanna see?" Umi asked. "And, make yourself at home. Want any kiwis?"

The home was… quaint. Compared to her modern luxuries, this was pretty draconian, not to mention it had a smell that was kinda offputting. And living with Moa, Turie learned a thing or two about strange smells every time she entered her kitchen. At least it looked structurally sound and everything.

… And no Jellyfish-appropriate furniture. Which wasn’t shocking, but sure made it a hard place to imagine sleeping or in any way relaxing in.

"Uhm… sure! I can eat kiwis," Turie nodded, as if it were somehow in question whether or not she could. "Anyway, this place is nice, but I think I’ll set up a tent for tonight anyway. I came here… to enjoy the nature scenes, see! So…" Turie would need to find someplace to hide her house. Most demonkin took longer than 10 seconds to build houses, if she recalled correctly, so it might be a little odd to see one suddenly existing that quickly.

"It’s very cool to see an authentic Demonkin dwelling though!" Turie offered, hoping not to offend her after the generous offer. Wait… "ahem, a Demonkin Shamen’s dwelling, I mean! In Teayo, we’re not allowed anywhere near our’s. So… thanks for showing me!"

"Here you go!" The moment Turie confirmed that her diet consisted of more than just fireflies, Umi had already closed the distance between the two and practically pressed a Kiwi against the jellyfish girl's chest. Though her excitement to have found a potential fruit lover to share her fruit love with turned into a bit of disappointment as she mentioned tenting. "Awwhh...." She sounded very disappointed indeed.

"You... have a tent?" Though her feelings quickly turned into curiosity, as she seemed to question Turie more. After all, this tourist had practically no baggage at all! Now that Umi was thinking about THAT, it actually was super suspect! Like, where was all of Turie's baggage? Not to mention: "Teyao has shamans? But isn't it too, uuhhh, big?" She obviously knew that other places had spiritual places and connections and all that stuff, too, but not the really, really, big cities. In fact, Umi was supposed to somewhat detest these exciting-sounding cities! Her teacher for sure did...

"I didn't know about that! I'll have to ask my teacher about that tomorrow!" A confident nod. An elaborate lie.

"So, you have a tent?" She repeated. Turie could have mentioned sleeping under the pale moonlight. Raw nature and all that. Yet, Umi was now asking the important question. Not out of distrust, but more-so genuine curiosity.

"Oof…" Turie winced as the Kiwi was thrust onto her, the light pressing of the fruit causing her to stumble back a few steps before regaining her balance. She tried not to show how much it’d hurt and instead held up the fruit with a forced smile.

Unfortunately, before she could continue, Umi began asking… questions, which was really not ideal! "Kind of, but they’re more into giving people life advice than consecrating spiritual places. Usually for big fees." Turie remembered as much from the shows she’d watched, not totally ignorant of her lore!

"A-ah… yes, my tent…" Turie‘s smile looked real forced now. Visibly nervous. She nommed the kiwi. A bite that afforded her a few more blessed seconds to think. "You see… we city dwellers have very advanced tents. Once it’s done, it might look just like a house, even! But it might take a while to set it up… all the parts of the tent… in the ship! That I arrived in. Probably it will take all night, but I don’t want to keep you awake, so maybe have a good rest and look forward to seeing it in the morning?"

Turie smiled her most professional smile… then took another awkward bite of kiwi and headed for the door.

"Hrgh…!"

The very heavy door. After several seconds, she did manage to push it open.

"....?" Umi stared at Turie in utter confusion. What she was saying made so little sense! Tents, advanced? House? On the boat? In the city? "I..." Don't believe you! BUT... Who was Umi to call Turie a liar!? City folks told all kinds of true and cool stories! And this wasn't the weirdest one she had heard. Though didn't Turie mention something about... about wanting to stay at an inn!?

Thus, while Umi believed Turie in some ways, or tried to anyway, the fact remained that it contradicted what the tourist Demonkin had said before! Not that Umi would ever call her a liar. Maybe more, confused?

Nonetheless, Umi may have been gullible, but she wasn't stupid!

"But didn't you say before you wanted to look for an inn to stay at, but had no money?" The plot thickened. Umi was sorta confused!

"U-uhm…" Turie scratched her head as her hat began to leak… that was definitely sweat. A lot of sweat. Then again, at this time in the evening, it was a sweltering 21 degrees, so that was totally understandable.

"Yes, I did say that! But… that was… before you offered to let me stay on your land! See, I uhm… thought it was going to take me a lot longer to find a spot I could set up my hou— tent! Housetent, we sometimes call them. But now that I have a great spot to set it up, I can just do it right away!" She smiled. Smiles always made lies more believable!

Umi narrowed her eyes. Very narrowly!

Suspicious.
Veeerrryyyy suspicious indeed.
Right now, the demon-gal felt like calling Turie out on the spot.
Or... was there something she didn't like in Umi's home!?!?

Were the Spiritual Stones of her Spirit Shrine not Spiritually aligned!? Maybe her home stank! The kind of thing that one didn't notice until they were long gone! Or maybe Turie's tent was GIGANTIC and Umi's small hut just wasn't what Turie had expected!? Or maybe she had said something wrong? OR! OR.... Or maybe... maybe Turie had a... no.

Umi shook her head, as in the span of a few seconds her entire demeanor changed from someone who was about to put Turie on the spot and expose her, to one of near utter despair! Umi wouldn't even dare to think, to ASSUME! Yet, it only made sense. It made all the sense in the world, in fact.

Turie had a Kiwi allergy and was showing an allergic reaction. One just had to look at how much she was sweating! In a way, Umi didn't even know how to deal with this. If anything, she had inconvenienced Turie so much that... she simply wanted some distance and deal with this herself? Good.

Yeah, suddenly Umi felt quite tired to deal with all this potential drama, and instead, she gave Turie a nod.

"Ok."

She understood...?

Turied rapidly blinked a few times few a couple seconds, smile frozen on her face. "Okay!" she echoed back, glancing to the side, left and right, before returning to Umi again. Awkward…

"Soooo… I’ll just… go and get my tent then…" she nodded, slowly making her way out the door. Surprisingly, she was now on the outside, with no more questions or protests. Demonkin would believe anything, huh? Well, she certainly wasn’t complaining.

Turie wandered off toward the trees in the distance, figuring that Umi might be watching through the window. Once she reached it, she stepped behind a tree and sat back for a while. Best wait here until nightfall to set things up. Thankfully, the sun was already dipping below the horizon, so it shouldn’t be more than an hour or two.

Yaaaaawn…

It’d been a pretty long day, and Turie was looking forward to getting some sleep in her cozy bed. Plus, it’d been a while since she’d had some water. The fruit had been nice and juicy, but she could really use a full dive.

By this point, Turie was especially glowy, and this seemed to have attracted a friend from the forest. A fluffy, angry looking wolf who snarled as he circled her. Turie felt her heart skip a beat, quickly placing a hand in her jacket and touching one of her runestones, while the other hand pointed forward. This was the universal ‘deal with animals’ enchantment she’d chosen to pack, which had the effect of…

"Oh… oh dear, I’m terribly sorry for my rude behavior, miss. Really, I don’t know what came over me." The wolf stood up straight from its prowling, lunge-ready position, brushing some of the leaves off its fur with a free paw.

"Uhm… don’t worry about it," Turie waved a hand dismissively. "We all have our moments."

"Ah, yes, well… I suppose you’re right, miss… what are you, exactly? I haven’t smelled anything quite like you around these parts!" Wolfy tilted his head.

"Just a tourist!" Turie nodded. "By the way, could I ask you for a favor? If possible, could you not speak with me near any of the other humanoids? I don’t think the others would appreciate it much."

"No trouble, my dear~! We don’t get along terribly well to begin with, see. Speaking of which, per-chance could I rest with you tonight? It’s awfully cold in the forest at night…"

"Uhhhmmmm…" Turie poked her cheek with a finger. "Weeeeellllll, I guess it might be better to keep an eye on you, so… sure, I guess. But if others walk in, no talking! Got it?"

"Oh? My maw is sealed~" Wolfy winked, a paw to his mouth.

"Alright then. Oh, speaking of, it’s time to set up my… ‘tent’!"

Now under the cover of night, Turie set down her portable house (a runestone, of course) just off to the side of Umi’s home, beckoned wolfy back a few steps, then tapped it with a magic touch, running back as if from a lit firework. With several creaking, cracking noises, the stone grew planks and concrete, laying a foundation in the soft dirt underneath as everything above assembled itself into place. A mere minute later, Turie stared up at a lovely cottage that was even bigger than Umi’s home, painted a nice white color.

"Well, I dare say, that’s just marvelo—" "—Shhh!" "Oh, right, sorry."

The inside was cozy; similarly clean and well-decorated as the outside. A fancy red rug on the floor, several nice paintings of ocean landscapes on the walls, and a "Turie couch" in the middle of the living room. Wolfy was quick to notice the fireplace, curling up in front of it. "Oh yes, quite nice. I could get used to this…! By the way, why do you have a fishtank in here?"

"It’s a COUCH!" Turie pouted, hands on her hips. "Couch! A water couch! Honestly, don’t judge it until you try it."

"Yikes, I can see this is a touchy subject. For my part, that wet thing looks dreadful, but if it works for you, that’s perfectly good!" Wolfy offered a semblance of a shrug.

"Anyway, I’m going to bed. Goodnight." Waving behind her, Turie retreated into the back room and locked the door, climbing into her giant bed and letting the delightful, cool, refreshing, hydrating water surround her. Ah, now this was bliss~! She was awfully excited to explore this simple life more, but a good, high-quality waterbed was one of those not-so-simple luxuries she simply couldn’t do without.

In a snap, Turie found herself drifting to sleep…

Skyswimsky Skyswimsky

"B...Bye?" Umi tilted her head slightly. Yeah, just, bye. Considering Turie wasn't in some sort of panic her allergies weren't THAT bad, right? At worst, the strange demonkin-visitor would spend the rest of her visit on this island coldly ignoring Umi and not telling her more or any of the extraordinary stories from the big city! Hmpf. Her loss. There were plenty of other excellent tourists Umi could hang out with.

People with kiwi allergies were maybe not the kind of people Umi should hang out with anyway! And, speaking of anyway, it was mighty late. If Turie decided to enjoy nature and sleep under the night-sky, get herself some weird house-tent-thing, or whatever else. She was free to do so! Though didn't she also mention something about a perfect spot?

Eh.

Leaving all these thoughts and speculations for future Umi, the young shaman instead decided to prepare herself for the land of dreams and shenanigans, hopefully continuing her dream session from earlier today.

The first rays of sun that would usually find their way inside Umi's bedroom on the first floor were denied entry as instead a newer, bigger, fancier, home had risen from the ground-up over the course of a single night. So it was no surprise that Umi woke up later than usual. Drowsy at first, confused at second, before slowly - almost instinctively - wandering over to her open window as she rubbed the eye sand away.

"What a wonderful morning..." She yawned as she stretched her arms. "And there's even a new neighbor blocking out the sun!" This was both good and bad, maybe! Though the house looked kinda weird compared to what she was used to. Not to mention, wasn't it half-in-her-garden!? Yeah, part of her fence looked as if it had smashed right into the... weird stone!

"..." Then, the realization hit her just a little bit later.

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT???!!!!!!!!!"

Just where did that house pop up from overnight!? Umi cried out in a mix of a yell of surprise and confusion. Loud enough to likely wake up the entire neighborhood, which now consisted of more than just Umi.

The shriek traveled in past Turie’s shut windows, shur doors, and into her fishtank bed, where it resembled a distant whale noise. Jellyfish, having a natural instinct to distrust whales, had a tendency to dislike such sounds, with them invoking a certain, deep-seated dread. And so, Turie shivered awake, before she even understood what was going on.

Climbing out of the bed, Turie made a quick change of clothes, careful to include her hat over her membrane cap, and then entered the main room of her house.

"These islanders certainly are a noisy bunch," Wolfy complained with paws over his ears. "Do you think she’s coming in anytime soon?"

"Maybe. Keep quiet for now, got it?"

"Mhm, certainly."

Heading out the door, Turie spotted Umi gazing up at the house all flabbergasted with Fluffles at her side and waved. "Hello, little shaman!" she still absolutely did not remember that full name. Taking another look, it was clear she’d positioned the house a bit too close, unable to see super well in the dark, even with her bioluminescence helping out a bit. "Sorry, I think I might’ve set up my house…tent too close. It was a little hard to find a good spot in the dark… Anyway, it’s like we’re neighbors now! That’s fun, right?"

Skyswimsky Skyswimsky

By the time Turie was outside, Umi had also made her way to the house. Or houses! Technically, they were in front of both houses, right?! With Fluffles, who gave the imposter Demonkin a big lick across her cheek as a greeting.

"TURIE!?" Umi called out as she realized who was apparently responsible for the big tent. It had made click in that one head of hers. Putting one and one together. Tent. Good spot. The sudden dissapearance. But...

"T-That's NOT a tent! How did you even... I..." By all means, Umi felt like Turie was lying one way or another. But as a matter of fact, there was suddenly a hut. And said hut couldn't just pop up from one day to the next, just like that! Not to mention it was bigger than her own house! So, regardless of what Umi's gut feeling told her.

The tent was a fact. And it certainly wasn't magic, or Umi would have felt the Spirits for sure.

"T..." Thus, the smaller girl was slowly convincing herself that this was..."... AMAZING!" She, finally, called out. "But a bit too close!" She added. "Is this what every city person has?! I've never seen it before. And.." Umi walked closer to a wall, giving it a slight tap. "It seems quite robust..." Before punching it, as a stress test.

CRUNCH.

"Oooppss...."

Now Turie's home had a small, arm-sized, hole for better airflow!

Turie shivered as she was suddenly treated to an unwanted cheek lick, careful to grab her hat to make sure it didn’t come off. At least it was a wet lick. That felt nice. Watching Umi as she slowly came to terms with the new building beside her own (wow, it really was bigger than she remember, yikes…), Turie slowly followed alongside her new shaman friend as she…

"Hey!" Turie pouted in protest as her wonderfully insulated and climate-controlled house suddenly became less so. "It’s a tent! You’re not supposed to punch it!" Turie lectured. "And no, they’re pretty expensive, so it’s a little rare to see them. Sorry I set it up too close though. It was dark, so I had trouble seeing where I was setting it up…" Well, that was one truth anyway.

Suddenly, a fluffy wolf snoot peered through the hole, obvious concern on its face. Turie was quick to shoo it back further into the house with a wave of her hand. "Yep, it’s a nice tent!" she nodded, moving right along and not acknowledging it at all. "Anyway, I would like to cautiously partake in some of the Moonspirit Festivities! Is there any particular activity you can recommend?"

Skyswimsky Skyswimsky

Last edited:
"I wasn't punching it! Just a small touch!" Umi defended herself as Fluffles now also got closer to Umi's tent and started sniffing it some. She surely would have noticed the snoot too if not for Umi calling the tent "EXPENSIVE!?" Oh. Oh noo. "U-Urm..." And she damaged it! Would this mean she had to pay, couldn't, and would turn to the life of a criminal!? Scrubbing on board of the next best ship as she'd slave away to pay off her ever-increasing debt?!

In the blink of an eye, Umi played through that kind of plot through her mind's eye. How she'd grow older as her health was deteriorating. Scrubbing a deck on all four as triumphant, evil, Turie was standing on her back, commanding Umi to work with her whip.

This went on for a good minute before a nudge from Turie got Umi back to reality.

"Urm, yes! Moonspirit Festivities." Turie seemed... odd. But maybe she was also dumb? What if she never spoke of the house again?! Maybe she wouldn't... demand it. "That's still a few days! But you can go visit the Moonfire Grotto! Collect Bumbshells on the beach as it's also bumbnail season too! Go for a walk in the forest. Visit the markets, or really, there are a lot of spiritual places on our island! Some city folk like to just... watch us work? Real weirdos..."

Turie blinked a few times as Umi's mind broke, wondering how long she should let her stand there, before ultimately giving her a poke that felt more like a tickle than a jab. "Uhm... don't worry about it, I'll just... repair it later," she reassured, trying desperately to move the conversation onward. "Let's just get started with the festivities!"

Of the options given, Umi's mind immediately latched onto the 'spiritual places' idea. After all, in most cases, the so-called 'spirits' were truthfully just a fancy enchantment, and if there was one thing she knew, it was enchantments! That said, she shook herself out of it rather quickly. She wasn't here to work, she was here to relax! "Watching you guys work sounds wonderfully relaxing!" Turie nodded with a clap of her hands. "... And maybe if you'd to take a few stops at those spiritual places on the way there, that could be neat..."

Skyswimsky Skyswimsky

"You're weirdo too!" Umi blurted out nearly instant as Turie declared her interest in enjoying other people working, too. Little did the tiny Demonkin know yet about the ways of modern society, or maybe Turie was indeed a devil of sorts who enjoyed watching others dirty themselves.

"I mean, sure!" The white hair quickly corrected herself and gave Umi a thumbs up. Everything seemed to work out fine, except... "Just. One moment." Somewhat worried, Umi put some strength into her legs before she, rather casually, jumped on top of Turie's tent, shielding her eyes from the sudden invasion of the sunlight upon her face. "Woah..." She murmured. "It's already... SO LATE!?!?" Of course, unless the jellyfish girl had superb hearing abilities, she could only hear that last part.

Quickly jumping down again, the little shaman looked a bit in a hurry. "I can show you where I work!" Time was now of the essence, as she gave Turie an understanding nod. "I mean, today, anyway!" Before the fake-Demonkin could answer, she already found herself in a sort-of princess carry of the smaller girl. "You stay home today Fluffles, or don't! Either way... you better hold on, Turie!"

No questions.
No confirmations.
Just speed.

Thus, without wasting another beat, Umi started running. Faster than the cat for sure. Past the fields, trees, and houses. Throwing a "Good morning!" - "Have a nice day!" - "Umi coming through!" To a variety of islanders around that they passed on her sprint.

Eventually, the two would end up in front of a cave further on the inside of the island. Up on a small hill that allowed Turie to overlook the small, but respectable, settlement built on the edge of the island. Putting Turie down, the jellyfish woman could see the various ships and boats, as she realized her own stood out like a sore thumb from the rest. "C'mon!" Not giving the jellyfish any time to rest, Umi dragged her along inside the cave where-

"Ilhuicaatl Ummchiuhtlicuei, do you have any idea how late you are!?" An elderly woman with gentle curves on her face greeted them rather angrily. Though she was clearly talking to Umi, who didn't seem too bothered by being late. "Yes, sorry, and stuff! But, look who is here! I did my, uh, Spiritual duties as a shaman tour guide! Tada!" Taking a step to the side, the white-haired used both her arms to make a demonstrating pose to push attention to the jellyfish girl.

The cave Turie found herself in was moist, and dark, except for the glowing spot of water behind the elderly woman. Glowing in an eery blue, small streams from creaks in the rocky structure gathered into a bigger pool that could fit a people or three inside, as it then continued in a small stream towards the entrance they came from. Not that the dark bothered the Demonkin. Apart from that, some of the rocks were clearly formed to be more comfortable to sit on, either naturally through A LOT of sitting. Or maybe someone just... made them like that. It wasn't too far off to assume Umi was responsible.

"Hmpf." The old Demonkin looked at Turie, her stare feeling as if it drilled right through her big hat. "City folk." She spoke with disrespect, before shaking her head. Whatever distaste was there, was just as quickly gone as she took a few steps closer to Turie.

"I am our village's Shaman. You may call me Babiloniatlacbatl." - "But just Baba is fine!" - "Respect, young girl." - "Owh!" Umi got a bonk of a cane. It looked, for jellyfish standards, lethal. Though just a small jab for Demonkin.

"Why have you brought this girl along, Umi?" - "She wants to see Shaman work! Right, Turie!?" Putting special emphasis on Turie's name, for one reason or another, she looked at the girl with pleading eyes.

I regret having rhyming names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back