Rezzed cyberpunk rp

Cavil

idgaf honestly
This is my OLD ASS rp that I would like some kind of feedback on I guess. I didn't last long on here without wanting to rp. 

Info:

-This is aimed towards an intermediate/advanced crowd

-I'm considering adopting a simple dice system but that may scare away newer members so not sure 

-Is this too vague in your opinion?

REBOOTING...

ON BEHALF OF COMCO INCORPORATED, GOOD MORNING! YOU HAVE HAD A PLEASANT NIGHT SLEEP! YOUR HEART RATE WAS AN EVEN: 124 BPM NEURAL ACTIVITY WAS: NORMAL. PLEASE HAVE A GREAT DAY TODAY AND HAPPY SHOPPING.

logging in to the main server......

spinner.gif

----------

“…It’s like a spiral: They keep making everything more basic so it will appeal to everyone. And gradually, everyone gets used to everything being basic, so we get less and less varied as people, more simple. So the corps make everything even simpler. And it goes on and on.”

― M.T. Anderson, Feed

---------

primary theme

-the potential for human apathy and hedonism as key to the success of evil

secondary themes

-individualism vs. collectivism

-authoritarianism vs. liberalism

here's a quick run down of the setting, with inspirations from selected novels:

“I don't know when they first had feeds. Like maybe, fifty or a hundred years ago. Before that, they had to use their hands and their eyes. Computers were all outside the body. They carried them around outside of them, in their hands, like if you carried your lungs in a briefcase and opened it to breathe.”

― M.T. Anderson, Feed

people

in this roleplay, anyone between the ages of 18 and 30 have had a computer 'chip' hardwired into their brain at birth. it's more like a pill that is injected via needle into the brainstem, and as the child's brain tissue grows around it, the more wired the computer becomes into the brain itself. it's a direct line to the internet. this allows marketing and advertisements from companies into the mind directly.

the hardware of the first trials (in the older characters) of the chip have become obsolete, and as such those that have an older chip have learned how to shut the ads off.

I really like that little swirly thing you've got going on in it.

What exactly would be the plot for this story? Aside from the chips being shut off, what else would happen?

I really like that little swirly thing you've got going on in it.

What exactly would be the plot for this story? Aside from the chips being shut off, what else would happen?

That's the thing, it's more of an open world setup. Although an alternative plot may be a good thing do introduce.

Ahhh okay so it would more so be something where the players are creating their own conflict.

Too vague, too loose. I don't mean this to be discouraging or insulting, but that opening post is basically 'hey guys what if generic cyberpunk.' 

I haven't read Feed, though, so thanks for quoting that.

*proceeds to snag a digital copy*

Now, depending on how much time you have before you want to start this, if you want to soak in some extra reading material I strongly recommend Rifters by Peter Watts (which can be acquired free on Feedbooks IIRC), and in the unlikely event you haven't read Neuromancer and Snow Crash holy shit read those. And the Blue Ant Trilogy, because Gibson never stopped being incredible and I think, thematically, that trilogy should be hitting some of the same beats I see you aiming for.

Also Transmetropolitan is a very good example of the kind of future you're going for, in addition to being terrifyingly relevant again.

As for a simple dice system, I can recommend you some and give advice, assistance, etc., if you want it a bit further into the process. I fucking love cyberpunk, you see (I'm going to assume you've seen my lengthy tutorial on the topic). 

My immediate advice, if you're going for something sandbox-y, is detail a single city and some major NPCs, corporations, gangs, secret societies, etc. within it so at least there's room for emergent narrative when you drop players in and plenty of hooks to grab them.

@Grey

I'm so glad you commented, because you helped me when I first posted this 2 years ago. So thanks for the feed back again.

My cyberpunk knowledge has dwindled since the last time I tapped into it. 

I probably won't post it until we make the xf switch. It'll make it easier to edit on my end. Right now I only have my phone to post off of. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back