• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

One x One Return of the Scarlet Empress 2.5 - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
It's been a crazy busy day. Between appointments and getting to work, I've brb away from home most the day. Tomorrow I'll be able to get an IC thread up and ready to go.

You don't need to rush yourself. I don't know about Kore, but my sheet still isn't done.

Also, any answer regarding Training Abilities?

ShiBe, forgot that Essence costs 10BP/dot rather than 7/dot for Sidereals; and that Backgrounds over 3 need to be purchased with Bonus Points. Back to the drawing board.

That will still put you at a pretty high Essence level starting out, just maybe not as high.

You guys also can work out how well you know one another, considering your characters are both several hundred years old and well established Exalts. Are you good friends, or perhaps rivals? Stuff like that.

Do you guys want me to post a thread for your characters?

a311243549 a311243549 and keeperofkore keeperofkore how close are you guys to having your final draft of your sheets ready? I am excited to start this game.
Here's mine. I've changed things around a little over the last few days, and pared down the list of planned artifacts a little, since I didn't want to go overboard. It just needs a picture, explicit Motivation/Intimacies, and more details for her Resplendent Destinies.

Kurea Ohashi, Chosen of Endings

Essence 7 (19/19, 45/45 (+27 Committed)), Willpower 5 (5/5), Limit 0/10, Paradox 0/9
  • Virtues: Compassion (2 + 3 = 5), Conviction 5, Temperance (2 + 3 = 5), Valor (2 + 3 = 5)
  • Attributes: Strength 1, Dexterity 7, Stamina 2, Charisma 2, Manipulation 2, Appearance 5, Intelligence 7, Wits 2, Perception 3
  • Abilities: Craft (Fire) 2, Craft (Air) 2, Craft (Fate) 7, Craft (Magitech) 7, Lore 7 (Geomancy +1), Occult 7 (Geomancy +1), Martial Arts 7, Dodge 7, Presence 1, Awareness 3, Performance 2 (Inspiring speeches +2), Ride 1, Stealth 1, Linguistics 1 (Old Realm)
  • Backgrounds: Connections 1 (Cult of the Restored Primordials), Connections 1 (Dijak Conclave), Artifacts (Jadeborn version) 4, Manse 4 (First Age version), Salary 4, Panoply 3, Allies 3 (Mara, the Shadow-Lover)
  • Flaws: Dark Secret (3, Infernalist leanings), Diminished Sense (4, Touch), Sickly (3, Slowed healing)
  • Colleges: The Guardians 2, The Crow 5, The Rising Smoke 4, The Key 1, The Quiver 1, The Treasure Trove 1
Charms
  • Inherent Sidereal Charms
    • Craft (9): First Craft Excellency, Fateful Craft Excellency, Elemental Vision, World-Shaping Artistic Vision (Demons), Destiny-Knitting Entanglement, Predestined Delivery Shaping, Excellent Implementation of Objectives, Mending Warped Designs, Implicit Construction Methodology
    • Dodge (2): Absence, Duck Fate
  • Celestial Martial Arts
    • Dreaming Pearl Courtesan Style (Free): Demure Carp Feint, Pearlescent Filigree Defense, Lethal Paper Fan Attack, Dreaming Pearl Courtesan Form, Flurry of August Leaves Concentration, Resplendent Sash Grapple Technique, Vindictive Concubine’s Pillow Book Understanding, Fragrant Petal Fascination Kata, Seven Storms Escape Prana, Invoking the Chimera’s Coils
    • Throne Shadow Style (2): Lotus Eye Tactics, The Lotus Blossoms (Sidereal Extension)
  • Sidereal Martial Arts
    • Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic (12): Last Heart Enclosure, Birth of the Perfect Ego Juggernaut, Impersonal Personal Denature Sting, Kaleidoscopic Disrecognition Atemi, Words are Not Enough Infliction, Two Score Mirror Glance, Freeing the Father from the Child, Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic Form, Reliant Soul Infiltration, Without Assumption, Beauty is in the Eye, Meditative Battlefield Escalation
    • Prismatic Arrangement of Creation (2): Demesne Emulation Practice (Kao), Demesne and Manse Form (Chung Ting) (As a Gem of the Wind’s Secrets, however it instead shows everything within a 1-mile sphere around the user – not just objects in the air – and its information is from exactly one minute in the past. The zoom is accurate enough to be able to read the pages of a book. Multiple zoomed areas may be shown at once. The attuned individual may choose to make the projection visible to everyone, to everyone they are touching, or only to themselves.)
Possessions:
  • Resplendent Destinies
    • The Quiver
    • The Key
    • The Treasure Trove
    • The Rising Smoke
    • The Crow
  • Artifacts
    • Loom-Conducting Glove (•••••)
      • This unique artifact consists of a complicated armature of fine starmetal needles, blades, blades, which are worn around the wielder’s hand. Upon the palm, there is a circular setting similar to a hearthstone amulet, though inert. Attunement to this artifact costs 25 motes, however mere essence cannot evince its true power.
      • In order to activate the artifact, the wearer must craft a Destiny of at least 3 dots, while attuned to it. At the moment of completion, the Destiny in question seems to vanish, and the setting on the palm becomes filled with a milky-white light, and the mote commitment is reduced by (3 x Destiny rating) motes.
      • Within Creation, in places which are Inside Fate, the attuned wearer may inflict alterations to the Pattern of Creation directly, as though using Wyld-Shaping Technique with a Hand of the Great Maker, subject to the following differences:
        • The extended roll uses the lesser of the character’s (Lore) or (Craft (Fate)) ratings. It may not be enhanced by Craft charms, other than Excellencies.
        • A 3-dot Destiny may shape Yu Shan and uncapped Demesnes at Difficulty 1, and Manses at Difficulty 3.
        • A 4-dot Destiny may additionally shape other areas of Creation at Difficulty 5.
        • A 5-dot Destiny may additionally shape Shadowlands, Bordermarches, and Freeholds at Difficulty 10.
        • Instead of costing Willpower, each roll to gather successes instead inflicts (6 – Destiny rating) points of Paradox upon the wielder.
        • The Loom-Conductor’s Glove may bank up to (5 x Destiny rating) successes in its essence matrix at once, for later use.
    • Weaver-Enticing Identifier (•••••)
      • The Weaver-Enticing Identifier is a simple Starmetal thread, which, in a delicate surgery, is painstakingly woven in a precise pattern, unique for each individual, around a Sidereal’s heart. This pattern forms an arcane link with their thread within the Loom of Fate, and permanently drawing the Pattern Spiders’ focus. This carries the following effects:
        • The higher of Charisma or Appearance may be used in Prayer rolls to draw a Pattern Spider’s attention.
        • When using a Loom-Conducting Glove, the wielder gains the benefit of Wyld Cauldron Technology.
        • The wielder may request more dramatic alterations to the Pattern Spiders’ design. This functions just like requesting a normal Destiny, save that no College is added to the Effect Roll. If successful, the character may use Effect Points to alter the nature of a shaped region, as though using the charm Shinmaic Communion. The alterations take effect over the next 25 hours, during which the Sidereal must conduct a Wrapped-Fly Ritual. The Sidereal may additionally spend up to 5 points of Endurance from Resplendent Destin(ies) that she possesses to gain additional Effect points.
        • This artifact does not have a mote attunement cost. Instead, the cost is the scrutiny with which the Pattern Spiders pay attention to the user’s actions. The maximum Paradox they may hold before being punished with a Pattern Bite falls from 10 to 9.
    • Lightning Boxes (••)
      • As per Wonders of the Lost Age. 2x boxes.
    • Bracers of Universal Crafting (•••)
      • As per Wonders of the Lost Age.
    • Fivefold Harmonic Adapter (•)
      • As per Wonders of the Lost Age. A few spares.
    • Skin Mount Amulets (••)
      • As per Wonders of the Lost Age. 2x copies, one on each shoulder.
    • Fate Consumption Engine (•••)
      • This artifact is an unadorned torc of Orichalcum and Starmetal. Attunement costs 5 motes and, in lieu of a Hearthstone, requires a Destiny of at least 3 dots.
      • Whenever you successfully make a 2+ die Stunt, you may choose to spend 1 Endurance from any Resplendent Destiny, in order to immediately recover 1 Channel of any Virtue. The stunt in question must be one for which the Virtue could be applied.
    • (Virtue)-Hardening Implant (•••)
      • It’s well-known that injuries to the brain can alter someone’s personality. The Virtue-Hardening Implants take advantage of this idea. Appearing as small Orichalcum pills, swallowing one and paying the attunement cost of 3 motes causes it dissolve, traveling through the blood and into the brain, whereupon it fixes itself into the seat of consciousness, encouraging a particular sort of behavior. Removing the commitment causes you to take a -1 penalty to all mental and social attributes for the next month, as the body suddenly recognizes it as foreign contamination and does its best to remove it.
      • Each Mind-Hardening Implant raises a specific Virtue’s rating by +3, to a max of 5. This increase counts as being inherent to the character’s Virtue rating, rather than being added by Charms or Artifacts. For the purpose of gaining Limit, an Exalted user treats it as an additional Primary Virtue, if it was not one already.
      • Furthermore, you may spend 5 motes and take 1 Bashing damage to roll (Appearance + Willpower), temporarily increasing its rating further for a scene by 1 dot per success. This temporary increase counts as being added by a charm.
      • Kurea has one of these for each Virtue.
  • Hearthstones
    • Sign of Chaos (Oramus, •••)
      • A gift from Mara in the third year of Kurea’s apprenticeship, after she successfully assassinated an influential Dynast, pinned the murder on the woman’s son, and then collected a handsome reward from an inexperienced member of the Wyld Hunt, after helping her track down and slay the “murderous Yozi cultist.”
    • Twice-Striking Lightning Prism (Air ••••)
      • Another gift from Mara, this time for the two-hundredth anniversary of their partnership, and a week after Kurea concluding a series of careful manipulations which led to two of the Shadow-Lover’s rivals being bound as the eternal guardians of a pair of Solar Manses commissioned by the Bureau of Destiny.
Biography

Kurea Ohashi was born just over three hundred years ago in Coral. A sickly girl from a poor family in a patriarchal society, she knew from a young age that she had no future worth contemplating. At the age of 16, she ran away from home to join the Tya, hoping for something better than the world she knew. She never got there. The ship she showed away in encountered a Lintha raid, and Kurea was taken as a slave. Three years later, a would-be-sorcerer and her current master, was consumed by the demon he had beckoned forth into Creation. Seeing her chance, she threw herself at the feet of Mara the Shadow-Lover, Defining Soul of Erembour, That Which Calls to Shadows, 7th Soul of the Ebon Dragon, begging to be taught the ways of power so that she would never fear subjugation again.

Six years later, the day after Mara sent her out on her first solo mission, she received the Fateful Exaltation, at once losing much of the power she had been initiated into by her dark patron, and attracting the attentions of the Five-Score Fellowship. Over the course of her training, she grew disgusted by the manipulators who had directly created the world she was forced to grow up in, who only now sought to provide her and her alone with all that she had fought and sold and suffered and killed and served for in the past quarter-century. Nevertheless, she was no saboteur: though she was grateful to her former patron for giving her a chance to rise out of the gutter, Kurea still recognized that a world ruled by Mara's masters would be a terrible place. Nevertheless, she reasoned, it's not as though they couldn't still find reason to collaborate at times... though obviously her Sidereal superiors didn't need to know this, suspicious and paranoid as they were.

Kurea Ohashi has the dubious distinction of being the founder and sole member of the Jade Faction. In her view, the Exalted of every stripe have demonstrated routinely over the course of Creation's history that whatever their individual skill and majesty, none of them are fit for leadership of Creation. The Jadeborn, by contrast, have maintained their arcane empire for millennia without causing the sort of devastation the Exalted routinely unleashed, and have successfully maintained continuity of society and culture even in their reduced state, through the Great Geas, the Great Contagion, and the Balorian Crusade. Most of all, compared to how the Dragon Blooded interact with their serfs, even the Unenlightened of the Mountain Folk are treated fantastically well.

Should she have the opportunity to visit Autochthonia, she would leave incredibly inspired – a whole civilization ruled by mortals, where Exalted are able to collaborate and become pillars of society without seeking to rule it. Moreover of course, there would be the nagging wonder of just what would be necessary to build her own set of Vats.

In her identity as an agent of heaven, Kurea Ohashi maintains ties to the Conclave of Dijak, a large and prosperous Jadeborn city-state to the East. Over the past century, she's been engaged in a long-term fate manipulation at their behest in order to increase the fraction of Enlightened Jadeborn; as well as serving as sifu and instructor to some of the most advanced Enlightened. Furthermore, making use of her rather speckled background, she functions as the tentative go-between for the small Cult of the Restored Primordials – a tolerated heresy within the Jadeborn orthodoxy, one which recognizes that the Yozis as they stand are evil yet seeks a way to restore them to their pre-defiled state – and the Demon City, for the rare occasions that the former needs access to some resource or information from the latter.

Last edited:
Will do (I just didn't want to put it there yet, since I figured there may be more discussion about it, and didn't want that channel to get cluttered with other posts.) The general aesthetic I was going for was "Mahou Shoujo super-scientist," if that helps.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure if this is starting before or after the Lotus Massacre, but if it's after, I figure that Kurea probably avoided it thanks to Mara carefully timing some distracting request. "Octavian's been bragging about this hot new Akuma he's got stirring up an army in the eastern Middlemarches, I'm sure your bosses would be happy to see him knocked down a peg" or something.

This is starting just before the massacre. Your characters will avoid the slaughter due to something happening IC.

So how does it look? Backstory works, character seems viable?

All of the artifacts were based off of existing charms which are at or below the recommended level according to Oadenol's Codex (2 dots is roughly comparable to a 1-2 Essence Solar charm, 3 dots for 3-4, 4 dots for 4-5, 5 dots for Elder), so they should be alright? Admittedly, I did lean more into fate-based effects and costs for them than is common for crafting; I always thought it was a shame that MoEP Sidereals didn't do more with Craft (Fate).

Last edited:
I like it. Suitable fort what I have in mind for the game.

keeperofkore keeperofkore how are you coming along on your character? I'm interested in seeing what you guys come up with in this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back