• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Rags and Riches

Emera was discussing with the guards about what to do with their little prisoner. She waved over a few of her own militia who had shown up to the event armed and they came over as Emera and the other guards began to explain the situation. "Take this man t'our safehouse," she ordered, they nodded after her. "I'll be there soon as I can manage," she added as one of the burlier men of her militia tossed the assassin over his shoulder. The assassin looked dazed at the moment - dazed, confused, and afraid for himself. As he should be, Emera thought to herself as she glared at the man who near broke the fragile peace with one foolish assassination attempt.

She watched as her men took the assassin away and explained to another militia that she would settle any matters here before joining. She wanted to make sure she didn't miss anything of importance after all. As if on cue the King and Queen showed up in all their dramatics to make an announcement. Emera's suspicions were proved true then - that the King had shown up for a very important reason other than the simple gala that was promoting the peace.

Emera blinked a few times as the King called up his children and she realized just who was being called up. The man from before, she thought, stunned. He was dressed quite plainly and Emera had made the foolish mistake of near insulting the Royal Family in front of the crown prince! The man had obviously faked his manner of speech then, wanting to play commoner for a night, and Emera couldn't help but wonder why anyone would ever want to pretend they were Low Towner, someone who was oftentimes uneducated, starving, and made tough choices in the name of survival. She must have seemed quite amusing to the man, she assumed. As she sat there ranting about the nobility to a man she thought understood exactly what it was she was saying. If he chose, he could have her head for treason after criticizing the royal family. Although that wasn't really a huge concern for her seeing as there was practically a list of the men and women who wanted her head by this point. Emera sighed, deciding that she would stay for the King's announcement and then join her militia in interrogating the assassin. This night had not quite gone as she was expecting, and she was eager to be done with it.

"-if you are fine with me helping you?" Chimere stopped in her tracks as her mind worked through the pain. It was kind of the princess to ask first as she knew that Chimere did not usually accept aid that wasn't just shirking off her responsibilities (even from her own family:. Unfortunately the situation practically made the decision for her, but her stubbornness wouldn't let the matter go that easily, bleeding or not.

"Absolutely not. I heard the King's announcement just now. You are to be at his side, not mine!" Chimere stood a bit straighter and willed herself not to look pale. "If you want to help, then kindly give us the directions to your room and we will take care of things from there." Chimere did sound stern but in reality, she was just trying to protect Alice the only way she knew how. "You nearly commit suicide with that fiasco just now and your attempting to potentially commit social suicide right now!" Chimere wasn't one to cry but her eyes were beginning to water, fortunately no tears fell. No tears had fallen in approximately seven years. They weren't about to start now, so this was as close as Chimere was getting.

Alice took a deep breath out, warm air tickling the tip of her nose as she exhaled. Her eyes closed shut for a moment, letting herself stay with only her thoughts. She chuckled a little and smirked at Chimere, opening her blue eyes again to look over the girl. Alice must have worried her without realizing it. She always did that it seemed. "Stubborn as ever, I see." She took a step away from Chimere, surveying her body for signs of distress. It was clear she was upset, but Alice wouldn't ever point it out. When it came to there social class, it was embarrassing to be overly emotional. Alice had tried to learn how to hide her feelings, but it was hard to ingore her feelings for very long when it came down to stressful things.

"If you continue down the hall my door will be at the very end. Hard to miss, simply look for the door that's painted." She sighed knowing that she couldn't argue with Chimere right now. Chimere needed to deal with her wounds sooner rather than later. Alice didn't need her to worry about her. Before she walked away she wrapped her arms around Chimere and hugged her, being careful not to injure her further than she already was. "I'm sorry I'm careless, I just don't want anyone else to get hurt." Alice muttered, half to herself. It was honest, but it felt depressing. It was the truth about the whole situation that she didn't want to share and now she had gone and said it. She bit down on her lip to quiet herself and carefully pulled away.

Alice glanced over at Lyla giving her a half-hearted smile and reassuring her sincerity with the hope that filled her childlike eyes. "Please make sure that she doesn't do anything drastic." With that, she turned and made her way back down the hall. She smoothed her way past the guards as she entered the room. She moved quickly to the podium, as she now realized she was late to come up to the stage. Her smile became pleasant, bright and cheerful as she approached the stage and her movements became gentler and move precise. She stepped up in front of everyone, searching for her brother who was joining her beside there parents. When she saw how he looked she now realized the social embarrassment this would be for him. The next in line dressed as a begger and a lowtown would spread quickly among the nobles as socially unacceptable. But there was genius in this too, for now the truth that anyone, even a highest bred nobles, could be the equal to everyone else. It was brilliance and idiocy, an interesting move in the game.

Alice stood next to her parents, the young princess dressed all in white without a single bit of flash on her body except for the hints sequence beaded into the gown itself. The flowers that had been braided into her golden blonde hair, still unchanged from the morning when they were placed there. A crown of flowers delicately formed on her head. She was clam and gentle as she wrapped her thin slender fingers around the back of her head, giving one smooth pull of the string of her simple mask as letting fall down to the ground. Her childlike, crystal blue eyes painted along the edges to look bigger and her lips dyed a simplistic red, but her natural beauty unmasked. She stood tall and confident. She wanted them all to see her how she was. She wasn't simply a pawn in everyone elses world, she was more than a wallflower.

Alexander came to stand next to his father at the same moment Alice managed to stand beside their mother. He noticed that she had already removed her mask and was standing, tall and proud as though she herself were the heir to the throne and not he, dressed as a lowly beggar. He gently removed his mask, his face was plainly made up so as to look humble but not unpleasant. He looked out onto the sea of people and noted the many different reactions. Some nodded their heads in approval, some were bent in gossip, and others were simply trying not to fall from ingesting too much champagne.

"Prince Alexander, my son," The King smiled down on him, "I would like for it to be officially known to the kingdom that social class shall no longer meddle with affairs of the heart. We must do away with the customs of the old and make way for the bright future of our kingdom, therefore, Alexander, I royally decree that, whenever you so choose, you may choose anyone in the kingdom to take your hand in marriage."

At first their was a stunned silence. Aside from the drunkards, everyone in the room stood rigid. The King turned to his son and gave him a warm embrace. Then, like pressure finally being released from a hot kettle, the tension in the room began to dissipate slowly. Several citizens remained still in shock while others began to relax again and started whispering feverishly to each other. The King returned to the podium.

"Now, your future king, Prince Alexander, will give a speech." Alexander fought to hide his fright, he glanced at his sister, hoping for some sign of support, his heart beat wildly beneath his suit and he prayed that this would go well.

"Citizens of Ottilia. I welcome you to our home, and I thank you for your support during this transitional time for our kingdom. I also thank you, father, for this wonderful gift. People of Ottilia, I promise you here, today, that I will not abuse this gift. I will search vigorously for a partner that will exemplify all that Ottilia stands for, intelligence, beauty, dignity, and above all, kindness. You deserve no less. Again, I thank you." Alexander then stepped away from the podium and made his way to the private chambers set to the side of the ballroom.

"I assume you have an urgency on your behalf, but a quick words with you if you don't mind?"

Seraphim jumped and sighed at the sudden touch, looking over at the noble lady with a grimace. "It seems everybody wishes to speak with me tonight. Very well, but you'll have to talk as we go." He looked up briefly as the king began his announcement, then jogged over to Emera, who was still standing as her militia began dragging the assassin away. He tapped her shoulder before speaking. "I'm sorry to tear you away from this riveting speech, lady Emera, but there's still the matter of the target, if something happens to her, the least of our worries will be not hearing what she has to say."

First, things were going too slow and the merchant could practically hear the scheming, now it seems that everything had been moving too fast. There was a ladies life in danger, a chance that anybody who could take advantage of a revolt, and there were many, would jump at. Plus he hadn't even met with the captains and told them his own plan. He flagged down a servant next and hissed; "Excuse me, I need you to run a urgent message to the Tordjas estate, tell the guests there that our meeting will have to wait till tomorrow." Not bothering to check if the two ladies were with him, he walked swiftly to the door, making sure he didn't to draw any eyes. "I was looking forward to that meeting, too."

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyla, flustered at the display of emotion between her mistress and the princess, felt highly uncomfortable and worried that Chimere would ruin one of her few friendships. When she saw the princess sigh and give up on the matter however, she visibly relaxed at the end of their little fight. As the princess turned to leave she made a request to her. "Please make sure that she doesn't do anything drastic."

Lyla smiled and bowed her head in place of a curtsy since she had Chimere leaning so heavily on her. "Of course your majesty. I will strive to do nothing less than the sort." With that, she looked ahead and aided her mistress in reaching the princess's room.

Once they were there, Lyla helped Chimere onto the bed and rippe open her corset. "Ugh, no! We'll ruin the sheets with all this blood!" Confused at the lack of response, she looked and saw that Lyla was paying no attention to her but rather preparing to clean her wound with the help of a female servant that was in the room prior to their entry. "Lyla! This is the princess's Varilian silk sheets! You aren't seriously going to-!!" Chimere bit back her words in pain and tried not to scream as Lyla removed the blade.

"You are choosing an awful time to be picky about how I save your life." If anyone else of higher standing were around, Chimere knew that she would be this "talkative" towards her. As she dressed the wound, Lyla chose to continue her little lecture. "And it's perfectly understandable that you were worried, but did you have to be that cross with her? You'll soon end up losing what few friends you have with that attitude of yours."

"Oh don't you lecture me on friendships. The sooner she learns that our world is just a bunch of family ties and business relationships, the better!!" Chimere retorted, forgetting about the pain for a moment in order to guiltily defend her actions without admitting that there could have been another way to go about it.

Black gloves now discarded and hands thoroughly bloodied, Lyla finished her work, sat back and said, "If that's how you feel about it all, then why did you get so angry at her for trying to defend your life? You shouldn't have cared about her if that's the case."

"Because her ignorance to that simple fact about our way of life angers me all right?!" The comeback sounded half hearted even to her own ears. She realized that Lyla was right though, she rarely got excited over anything. In fact, it caused her to be bored most of the time, but tonight.... Following the train of thought Chimere copied the words she had overheard an obvious Low-towner say that night. "Tonight is total horse-shit." This of course earned her an even sterner glare from her current mother hen.

Whatever Emera had been expecting from the King's speech, it certainly wasn't that. For whatever reason she had been expecting something.. More. The announcement, like the ball itself, seemed more symbolic than anything. It was a symbol to show the Royal Family from this point forward would be viewing their people all as equals. Figuratively that is. After all, just because the crown prince could marry someone of lower class certainly didn't mean he would. More likely, it would be that a noble lady would marry in just like the Queen had and the daughter would be married off like in those stories her mother used to tell her when she was a child. Therefore, this announcement affected her and her people very little. She didn't know much about the Royal Family or the nobility in general, after all they were seldom heard from when the gates were closed, but it appeared to her that they seemed ignorant to the discontent among her people. Perhaps the announcement carried more weight to it than someone like Emera -- who had never once bothered with affairs of the heart and certainly never got involved in affairs of -- could possibly ever come to understand. And that was just it, she didn't understand. The political and/or social value of the King's announcement was lost on her, and she supposed she wasn't the only Low Towner to think so.

But there was one thing she did understand, something that she knew for a fact would have consequences if the issue was not taken care of. A fact that was punctuated when the man from before approached her and reminded her of their captive. "Yes, o'course," she murmured staring after the prince in his simple fineries, he looked like he wanted nothing more than to leave the room by this point, a sharp contrast to the banter from earlier, Emera had noted. "I think we wit'nssed the big reveal o' the night," she spoke as she took off her mask and pulled her sword from its sheath at her side. Emera explained to the guards quickly that she and her men planned to return the assassin to the High Town to be punished or executed for his crime, but not until after her people had interrogated him. A few of the guards, ones that Emera recognized from the other day at the market seemed alright with her words, but very many still seemed wary. Not that she blamed them really. But they sent her off with little argument, which the woman was grateful for.

Stepping out from the ballroom and down the corridors was like waking up from a dream. The transition from being a guest at such a grand event to "interrogating" a man - a task that was not uncommon for her line of work - was incredibly surreal. The masquerade was far from over, but it was for Emera. As for now, she is going to beat the assassin to a bloody pulp until he caves and then go see ol' Jim at the tavern for a nice whiskey. Between criticizing the nobility in front of the crown prince and encountering an assassination plot, Emera felt she damn well deserved a good drink or ten as this night had held more surprises than she was comfortable with.

grapedrank updated Rags and Riches with a new update entry:

Next Event plus other updates! *Please read!*

So the masquerade isn't over yet but I thought I'd announce the next event to come regardless. The next event to happen will be negotiations/parley involving representatives (both moral and immoral) to discuss peace and what should be done to promote peace. If anyone is interested in being one of the representatives of Low Town or High Town to attend the negotiations, send me a PM and perhaps a short explanation of why you think your character should attend. Keep in mind that your character...
Read the rest of this update entry...

Catherine von de Carlais

Catherine hissed internally when her porposal was met with a half hearted answer from the man. How could he act like that to a heir of the Carlais Family? One of the powerful clan in Ottilia! Then she hastily reminded herself that everyone were on disguise, including herself, and the man probably was facing a serious situation after that little stunt. And it was terribly uncanny for a Lady to be mad at something so unimportant.

Catherine tried to catch up the man in front of her, just bothered sparring one glance of another woman whom he talked to. Everyone else was insignificant right know, when she had her potential 'further partner' almost in her grasp.

When she followed him through the door -oh how she 'loved' a less than extravagant exit- She once again grabbed his hand, this time she also put the Londesborough brooch, one of her expensive jewelries, though not a favored one. Its colors mostly dominated by golden and silver, with shards of amethyst and amber on its head.

"I am just a 'love-struck lady' who longed for another 'romantic encounter' with you, my fine lord," She purposedly set her tone that indicate she wanted none of what she had said, "I will at the Cafe Royal tomorrow at breakfast time, how you will fulfill my hope if you come with my brooch set on your chest, without your mask hiding your handsome face, of course." She released the man's hand then bowed lightly, "for now I must bid you a good night my lord. And good luck for whatever you are doing right now." Catherine then went back to the palace ball room, indicating that she did not want a refusal as an answer.

Catherine then sighed softly after she went back, she really hoped that the man would come to her invitation. With the wall fall down surely there would be more rivals on her family business, so she must take a quick action if she wanted the business stayed in power. Not to mention the 'shocking' news she heard from the King -actually Catherine preferred it called ill-favored rambling- was surely putting the noble, unmarried ladies like her at a little disadvantage. Yes, it was just a little. Just because the King had announced that his heir would marry whoever he wished, regardless of the class, it didn't mean that the prince himself suddenly would want to spread his arms to some dirty, innocent cinderellas. The prince's words had eased her doubt though. Beauty and intelligence were common traits among noble ladies, especially the one who was the sole heir of their family like her. Kindness however, 'believed' by most just owned by the poor people, because they were the ones who felt the unlucky fate. Catherine rolled her eyes lightly at her own thought. Kindness itself was in fact a subjective trait that depended by who was looking. A kind deed can be done without its 'pure' intention and others would see her a kind woman.

So, yes, judging by the 'requirements' the prince had set, Catherine had it. The blond woman smiled a little when she took a glass of wine from a servant. While she did not obsessed to become the next queen of Ottilia, she definitely would take the chance had the prince showed any interest in her. Otherwise she was content of living without a constant lover by her side until she saw fit.

Clear Clairvoyance

Clear continued walking around the ball room after the King's announcement about his son's 'freedom' about his choise of marriage. Though the lithe young man didn't care a bit about the heir's future bride, Clear felt himself sighed a little. That meant the probably of his sister will be chosen will get smaller, and that was a great news for him, for Catherine von de Carlais was Clear's and Clear's alone.

Keeping his steps calm and graceful -and briefly cursing in his own mind that he didn't inherited his 'mother' natural elegance- he stepped into one corner with a canopy displayed on it. Among others, there was a blond woman who sat on a grand cushioned chair. Her pose was straight, as in telling others that she was in a high position in this room. She was decorated in beautiful jewels and a fine silk gowns. A noble woman, he was sure. Those jewelries and dress alone was more than enough to feed the low town people at least a week.

Clear gracefully walked closer toward the woman. She may bore some resemblance with his dear sister, but they were just few. Despite they had a similar figure and share a fair blond locks, he knew that they were different. Her sister was slightly taller than the woman, and he knew his sister's face line was one point sharper than hers. But this woman was a noble, maybe Clear could have some more information about her sister.

"Good night, My Lady..." He bowed in front of her, speaking with a slow voice. He tried to recall all manner lessons taught by his 'mother'. He put his gloved hands on his chest. "May I have the honor to accompany you for just a bit time?" Clear asked politely.

Seraphim watched as the lady returned to the ballroom, she was obviously irritated at him. The ginger clicked his tongue and decided to ask around about her before accepting the invitation. Regardless of how insistent she was that he went there. Honestly, pirates were easier to deal with than nobles sometimes. He was about to comment to Emera about it, but saw her walking the other direction, presumably to interrogate the assassin.

"Ugh. Sean, follow her. The civilians top on my priorities right now."

"'ow'd you know I was 'ear? 'N shouldn't I watch the top priority?" Sean appeared out of his ball gown and in a set of dark leather armor and black cloak and mask, his normal working out fit. When he appeared, he was busy shoving some pastry or other beneath his mask.

"You're cowardly, lazy and enjoy watching people mess around. That should answer both questions."

"You know, I think you paint me in a better light than most."

"Just go." Seraphim drew his rapier and continued following the blood, which lead him to a door. He could hear yelling on the other side, but fortunately no fighting.

~~~

"Oh don't you lecture me on friendships. The sooner she learns that our world is just a bunch of family ties and business relationships, the better!!"

"If that's how you feel about it all, then why did you get so angry at her for trying to defend your life? You shouldn't have cared about her if that's the case."

"Because her ignorance to that simple fact about our way of life angers me all right?!"

~~~

"Ooh, catfight. I think I'll just wait out here then." Seraphim looked at his brother, who was still following him and not even bothering to sneak around anymore.

"I told you not to come." Seraphim said flatly.

"Please, little miss play-soldier can take care of herself." Sean waved his hands dramatically and spun over to a nearby wall, leaning against it and almost disappearing in the shadows.

Seraphim silently agreed, but that was no reason to just abandon something so important. He sighed, resigning to the fact he wasn't getting what he wanted, and took his own place at the wall opposite his brother and removed his mask. "This is going to be tedious, I can't believe I missed meeting the captains of my fleet for it."

Catherine von de Carlais

Catherine gave the almost half empty glass to a passing servant as she pondered to herself. As her dark mood regarding the man earlier had dispatched, she now wanted to gain some fun to her own tonight again. The earlier shocking act was just brief and if the man didn't come tomorrow at their meeting, she wouldn't gain anything and that was not fun at all. But she was not keen on dancing with some stranger, especially with those common rabbles. Not that she looked down on them (no, of course. After the prince 'statement clothing', some nobles with a sense would show some respect on the lowtown people at least for this night), but it was not fun at all if she was stumbled and stomped over and over just because her partner's dancing skill was worse than hers when she was five years old. So the lady moved forward, toward the royal family and bowed. Her father never pressured her to have a close relationship with the royal heirs, so her frequency of talking to them was not much, but enough to confirm the relationship as 'associate' or 'acquaintance'.

"Princess Alice, Your Highness" Catherine said on formal courtesy on the princess. She wasn't in the mood in flirting tonight. She might as well made this night a ladies night for herself.

Chimere was usually the Queen of resting and laziness, but at the moment she was feeling rather restless. She wasn't sure exactly how much time had past since the evening's earlier events, but she knew that the royal servant from before was gone and that she was starting to feel antsy. Even with the literal pain in her side, Chimere had the strongest urge to get up and move, to do something. "You're still a sore loser." Chimere turned her head towards the chuckle. She gave Lyla a stern glare that told her to remember her place. She only ever got like this when they were alone. "Ever since I first met you all those years ago, you've been a sore loser. Whenever you felt that the loss could or should have been avoided, you would get the worst attitude and get the urge to move around in agitation." She let out another small laugh. "Some things don't change, do they my lady?"

Chimere knew that this was Lyla's way of telling her to get herself together so instead of retorting like a spoiled brat she began to think aloud. "The assassin tonight seemed to only target me."

"Well yes, I suppose that an assassin would try to get close enough to attack their target." Lyla said rather sarcastically.

Chimere gave her a deadpan look and resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "I was on the look out for my brother so I was looking at just about every man in that room." As she spoke a mental image of the ballroom and all its inhabitants appeared in her mind. The servants, guards, and women all disappeared from it. "Of those men I removed any drunks, philanderers, or very obvious Lowtowners from the equation." The mental image removed the aforementioned from the ballroom. "I also further went on to remove any of the men that failed my little test after speaking with me." A great portion of the people within the mental ballroom had been removed, leaving only a handful of men. "By that point I was starting to get a bit discouraged as to if my brother would show so I was about to scrap my data until the assassin came along."

"Okay..." Lyla had yet to see where her mistress was going with this little story.

"Do you remember seeing him interact with anyone at all?" Chimere knew that Lyla was paying more attention to potential threats than to the evening's socializations.

"No actually... I don't. In fact I don't much recall him at all. I mean I know we couldn't have met or even seen everyone, but if we were both on the look out, you think we would have noticed a man dressed head to toe in black?" The assassin popped into the mental ballroom.

"I get that he waited for you to leave my side before approaching me, but how did he know...?"

"He could have had someone the inside working with the family seamstress tell him what you would be wearing." Lyla suggested. "And your mother's necklace you don't wear very often, but someone could have remembered it's design."

"I know Lyla, that's not what I want to know. Remember how I told you about or little set of passwords to let me know that it was him?" Lyla nodded. "Well the assassin passed that test with flying colors, meaning that he knew the contents of my brother's latest letter."

"Wha-? But my lady! The correspondence route between myself and your brother's personal servant is airtight!"

"I know." Chimere's eyes softened and she put her hand on top of her friend's to show her that she didn't blame her. Her eyes hardened again as she bore them into Lyla's in order to convey her meaning. "The letter was in my brother's own handwriting, meaning that the letter was either intercepted in Fortunato territory or he was forced to write it."

"So the assassin was hired by the Fortunato family or someone who was an ally of the Fortunato family and equally hated either the Beaumonts or the destruction of the wall?" Lyla wanted to list the option that Chimere's older brother had could have hired the assassin, but she knew that her mistress wouldn't listen.

Inside the private quarters near the ballroom, Alexander fell into a chair, exhausted by the night's events. He could still hear the merriment that was being had by the many partygoers still in the ballroom. He wanted to meet that mysterious woman he had met earlier that evening, he just needed a how. Before he could come up with anything the Queen and King entered the room in a flourish.

"Wonderful speech, son. You did a smash up job." His father came over and clapped Alexander on the shoulder. His mother stood over to the side surveying a painting of the Library of Ottilia. It was an austere painting, cold and unfeeling, practically the exact opposite of what his sister's paintings were like.

"Thank you, father."

"I think we'll be able to include you in the peace negotiations that are going to take place two days from now." Alexander gaped.

"Wh...what? Already? Why so soon?"

"Why not?" Okay?

"Thank you, father, for this opportunity." Then a thought occurred to Alexander. "Father, will this include leaders of the lower class, such as the chief of a militia?" His father looked at him curiously.

"Certainly. Anyone of importance among the upper and lower class will be invited to attend. However, whether or not they attend is entirely up to the individual. Announcements will be made tomorrow morning." Alexander nodded. Then my lady of the night may be in attendance. I must see her again.

"Thank you again, father. I shall prepare for the negotiations. Goodnight." Alexander walked past his mother as he exited the room, the Queen had chosen to remain silent throughout the conversation.

Alice watched her brothers speech closely, she tried her best to be as reassuring as possible, but it was difficult when she was trying to cope with the fact of her own situation. They had directed the comment of marriage towards her brother, without giving a hint of her existance, after calling her up on the stage, for what felt like, no apparent reason. They had given her brother some sort of new freedom, which meant that they still had plans for her. She would still get married off to who ever had the most money, taught how to be a silent, devoted bride who would stand next to there husband at all of the parties and smile. She was starting to feel more and more like a wallflower as the night went on.

Alice felt a sad pressance inside of her as she watched her brother walk off. He had gotten a gift, but attached to it was a leesh. Alice couldn't imagian that her parents had given this to him with no catch or price. 'They were simply loving parents,' didn't sound a like a likely occarance.

Her brother walked away and her parents walked away and she was left with her erie of confidence starting to dwindle. Her smile was half hearted and her body starting to tense slightly. It wasn't very noticeable, but to anyone that was watching her it was clear that she felt slightly nervous. Her mind had been spinning stories of its own on every situation, weather they were true or not was an entirely different story. She hadn't really gotten a chance to do anything that night other than think and it was dangerous once she got to engolfed in her thoughts. Alice needed something else to focus on, anything at the moment would do.

When Catherine approched her, Alice smile turned into a pleasant one and she relaxed slightly. She watched curiously as the girl courtsied and adressed her. Alice had a suspition of who it was, but she liked the idea of the masqurade. Even if Alice couldn't hide her true self anymore, didn't mean that she wanted to know exactly who everyone was now. It ruined the fun. She made her own little courtsey, her movements were smooth as if she had done it a thousand times. "Good evening, My Lady." She stood back up straight with her shoulders relaxed as she looked over Catherine. "How have you been tonight?" Alices voice was gentle like normal, but she seemed generally curious in how the ball might have been going for someone else. It would be helpful to know if it was only her imagianation that thought this ball took a few unexpected turns.

Sean began fidgeting, picking up a nearby vase and putting it down again several times in a minute. Seraphim knew his brother well enough to know he was getting bored, not nervous. "I think their almost done, Sean." The hooded man made for the door, but stopped when his brother grabbed his shoulder. "Wait, I want to talk to you about the next few days."

"Aye?" Sean turned to Seraphim and crossed his arms, the ginger looked down the hall before beginning.

"The king is up to something, I know it, you never make a trade you don't benefit from. There are probably others too, that want to make sure the poor stay in their place."

"And you?"

"We're a wealthy merchant family, not a lords. The king and lords earn their titles by birth and land ownership, merchants like us only have our business. I wont say civil war would be bad for it, but I would rather have more, happier customers for my fleet than risk military attack."

"What do you going to do?"

"We'll need support, a secret army of sorts, to make sure this event works out for the best of everyone. I want you to keep our corsairs in town for a few more days, then gather everyone in the underworld you know who might side with us. We're going to have a meeting to see what they want to do."

"Think it'll work?"

"With my money and their skills, we should have no problem. One more thing, though. A Tordjas family member needs to attand any meeting the king calls. I'll be busy, and dad's too old, it has to be you." Sean tensed up.

"Me? Go into a meeting with dozens of people who've competed for my head for over ten years?"

"Competed for the ravens head, not Sean Tordjas, you'll be fine."

Sean relaxed and gave of a hearty chuckle, "Well why the 'ell not, should be fun!" Seraphim patted his brother on the back before stepping over to the princesses door and knocking.

Chimere was finally starting to dose off, her earlier agitation tempered by her thinking of the oddities of the night's events. She jolted alert and awake when she heard the knock at the door. Turning to Lyla she asked, "Who is it? It had better not be Alice cutting tonight short to check up on me." Chimere followed Lyla's gaze when she was late to respond. "Oh." She simply stated. Chimere and Lyla both looked at the tattered and bloody remains of what she once called a dress. She wasn't exactly nude, but there were several exposed parts of her body that would cause society to label her as a harlot if seen by a man before marriage. Chimere gave a sigh, seriously not caring about anything after that night's earlier events. She gathered up some of the pink with black trimmed fabric of Lyla's dress in her cleaner hand. "Oh just get up and meet them outside or something. Your dress was tailored for easier movement than the average Lady, go put it to use if necessary."

Lyla gave her mistress a look but otherwise said nothing and did as she was told. She opened the princess's door only wide enough to give her entrance to the hallway and afterwards slipped through it. As she began to close the door after her she surveyed the two men standing before her. She recognized them both from the party. The "drunken" man who had aided in her mistress's escape in particular. He could be here because he was concerned for her mistress's well being, or he could be here with a friend because she and her mistress weren't expecting an attack so soon after the first. Either way, the polite thing to do was to ask, "Hello sirs, how may I be of service?"

Seraphim was shocked by the servants calm reaction to seeing a 'drunkard' and a man in a black hood and armor. "you dont seem very scared, thats good, i take it the lady is alright?" Sean slipped silently past the made and, before anyone could stop him, began looking at Chimeres wound.

Seraphim sighed, then called into the room "you'll have to forgive my rude friend, he may not be a trained physician, but he knows both herbs and the human body better than anyone, just dont ask why and you'll be fine.''

"You dont seem very scared, thats good, I take it the lady is alright?" Lyla gave her best servant's smile. She reacted based on her training when not being guided by a Beaumont's orders, polite when turning away or refusing a guest's request. Just as she was about to speak the "drunkard's" friend slipped right past her and into the princess's room. Into her mistress's indecent state and presence. She stood frozen from shock, but sharp eyed and dangerous as her duty's call automatically took over her body.

Chimere's eyes opened wide at the man's sudden appearance by her side. She heard a slightly muffled sigh coming from behind the now slightly ajar door. "You'll have to forgive my rude friend, he may not be a trained physician, but he knows both herbs and the human body better than anyone, just dont ask why and you'll be fine.''

"Right..." As she began to shift some of the bloodied silk sheets that she had been complaining about before over her exposure, she continued to eye the stranger. "Well then... My concerned friend here knows a thing or two about the human body as well. And as I'm ever so sure you've seen, I'm fine for now so don't let the door, or my friend, hit you on the way out." Chimere didn't have to take her eyes off the man to know that Lyla was most likely preparing to throw a knife at his head or something of the sort. She for one had enough problems arising for the night and didn't feel like being in the middle of another one if it could be avoided.

Catherine von de Carlais

Catherine smiled back at Princess Alice, and without her consent her own eyes softened slightly somehow, for reason she didn't know. "I have been great, your highness. This night is as beautiful as Ottilia Kingdom Herself... Though I must admit my steps in this ball room were not my usual ones." Catherine was quite surprised that she just told the princess what had she done tonight (regarding the assasination attempt and that weird -yes, weird. Because she still mad at him- looking man)..... however subtle the phrase she had choosen. Then the blond noble frowned lightly, maybe the change of the princess's posture -she looked slightly relaxed- had unconsiously steered her reaction as if it was... A normal conversation? Then she scowled internally at herself. Of course it was normal! Nothing's wrong to exchange words just for the sake of talking and relaxing... Even thought Catherine admitted it was quite strange for her as a business oriented woman.

"
Your Highness, if I may so bold to ask, would you mind if I accompany you this time?" Catherine asked Princess Alice politely. To be honest the noble woman was curious of the female heir opinion of this evening, or even the union of both sides at all, because the speech was only delivered by the King and the prince. The prince maybe the first in line to the throne but all children of the King and the Queen would have great impacts of the Kingdom.

Seraphim grimaced and put a restraining arm on the servant, "That's not a good idea."

Meanwhile, in the room, Sean stood straight and pulled a flask out of his sleeve. "Any good assassin laces 'is blade with poison, kinda like this. In large doses mine could stop a mans heart, small doses it cleans wounds. The fact that you're not grimacing means it's not like mine. If you really don't want me 'elp, I could kill you now and save everyone pain." He uncorked the bottle and tilted it slightly.

"Sean!" Seraphim yelled, "Don't you dare! We're hear to protect lady Chimere, not intimidate her, and definitely not kill her."

Sean re-corked the bottle, "I was only jokin', no 'arm meant. Names Sean, now that that cat's outta the bag, Sean Tordjas." Sean wasn't worried about getting attacked, most nobles only had basic training in fighting, no real experience. It was kinda funny to him actually, and he laughed out loud, they went through all this effort to avoid a dead body, and they'd threaten to make one over someone slightly more exposed than most low-town girls. Seraphim sighed again.

"Tell you what, just keep on guard tonight. If therels a price out on you, another assassin is likely to take advantage of any weakness. Even if it is in the princesses room." The merchant turned back to lean against the wall, "I'll keep watch out here."

"That's not a good idea." Lyla glared at the man gripping her arm then quickly turned her attention back to her mistress. Chimere's gaze didn't leave the stranger standing at her side for one second. Lyla as widened as she saw her mistress raise her hand as an order for her to remain still. With no other choice, Lyla obeyed.

"Any good assassin laces 'is blade with poison, kinda like this. In large doses mine could stop a mans heart, small doses it cleans wounds. The fact that you're not grimacing means it's not like mine. If you really don't want me 'elp, I could kill you now and save everyone pain." As he uncorked the bottle and tilted it slightly, Lyla ripped her arm from the man holding her and shot forward.

"Lyla!" Chimere yelled at the same time the other man called for the stranger before her. "Don't!" Sean, apparently. So used to her training, Lyla stopped in her tracks right near this Sean character with her blade high in the air and a cold look in her eyes. She stood there for a tense moment before he re-corked the bottle and she tensely put her hand down to her side.

"I was only jokin', no 'arm meant. Names Sean, now that that cat's outta the bag, Sean Tordjas." He had the audacity to laugh out loud in the current situation.

Chimere lifted an eyebrow and continued to stare at the man. "Well Mr. Torjas, now that we have that clarified I do hope for your exit to be a quick one. You may not think much of my servant here but she, I assure you, is highly skilled and can take on just about any man." She gave him a dangerous glare. He had seen her in a less than decent state and she didn't enjoy being toyed with, even if she had seen through his bluff.

"Tell you what, just keep on guard tonight. If there's a price out on you, another assassin is likely to take advantage of any weakness. Even if it is in the princess's room." The man whom Chimere assumed to be another Torjas, Ser-something, turned back to lean against the wall, "I'll keep watch out here."

"Do what you want outside of the princess's royal apartments." Chimere, tired of the current situation, played back into the soft and bloody sheets and pillows. "If either of you step foot inside again though, I won't stop Lyla from attacking you this time. Lyla find something suitable for me to change into."

Alice was thrilled of the idea, but did her best to try and hide her excitement. She hadn't had fun at all tonight and perhaps now was her chance. She had had high hopes for the evening, an although it hadn't been the glorious ball that would make all her dreams come true, there could be a sliver of hope. She was curious of the women. Alice knew that most meetings with her were political, that the people that surrounded Alice because they desired something else. Alice decided, at least for the moment, that she wouldn't care about politics or titles, even though her mask had been removed. It didn't matter to Alice if Catherine wanted political leverage or friendship, Alice wanted to live without fear of her title for one second.

"That would be splendid," Alice replied and her smile grew more playful and childlike. She was happy at the moment to be here at this ball. She hoped that the walls would stay down and they would have more parties like this one. Even if everything seemed chaotic tonight, Alice was positive that if the took the walls down it could only get better. Alice might even be able to go out into the lower town if they took down the walls. She hoped to convince her father of it in the morning at breakfast, leaving out the ugly details of the ball. If everything went well, than she might even be able to stretch the truth a little less.

Alice sighed as if thinking aloud, "Tonight has been a rather eventful night." She hadn't meant to say it out loud, but it slipped off of her tongue. She didn't take it back, she simply smiled, trying to make a smooth recovery. She didn't look completely believable, but Alice was starting to give up on being proper. It was starting to give her a headache from trying to be careful with every word. Perhaps it wasn't such a bad thing that Alice was relaxing a bit.

"I know this is improper of me and quite sudden, but would you like to dance?" Alice glanced over to the dancers who were still continuing to spin and glide until the night got late. It had been one of the things she had been dying to do all night and she was hoping that maybe the lady would except. It was a bit odd of a sight for two women to be dancing together, but it wasn't completely unheard of. If Alice was socially drowning herself, than at least she wouldn't have to think about it until tomorrow. She parents were probably off planning her engagement to a stuffy, rich fellow with good connections at this very moment, it couldn't hurt to have fun until than.

"Oh, I'm sure she could, but unlike some assassins, you wouldn't see me enter." Sean gave another chuckle and opened the window, climbing up to the next floor, "Later, Seraphim, I got some window shoppin' to do."

Seraphim grimaced "Just when I thought I had him on a leash, too. Goodnight, ladies. I'm incredibly sorry we had to meet like this." He stood straight and began walking away, stopping after a thought came to him, "You may want to check yourselves and that room. Sean's an impulsive thief, there's likely something he took. I'll compensate you later." Seraphim decided to keep an eye on the room from a distance, seeing how stressed the pair actually were, and not wanting to look suspicious waiting outside the princesses room.

He rounded a corner and leaned against the wall there, resting and thinking about events again. The only assassin he'd seen was after Chimere, a member of a powerful family and friend to the princess. It could have been worse, he'd secretly hoped the place would be swarming with excitement, rather than him getting stuck on guard duty. And the only ladies he'd met either thought he was drunk, a troublemaker, or wanted something from him. He yawned, it was getting late and he still hadn't had much of an adventure. Maybe there was still time to attend that interrigation. He straightened up and stretched, but before he could lower his arms he heard the familiar click of a crossbow.

"Seraphim Tordjas?" It was another assassin, probably having waited for him to be alone. Seraphim didn't lower his arms.

"Who?"

As the masked man, whom Chimere noted to be Seraphim Torjas, made his exit, Chimere quite visibly relaxed as she closed her eyes. "Should we do as the man warned and search for missing valuables my lady?" Lyla, ever the diligent servant, asked.

Chimere let out a sigh and messed with the heirloom around her neck. "You can if you want but it's probably not necessary. He touched neither me nor you and we weren't carrying much that was particularly valuable in the first place. As for the princess's belongings, I don't recall them all and if I don't, I know that you don't." She turned towards her servant and cracked open an eye. "But by all means." She lazily gestured a hand around the room. "Just make sure to find me a dress near in color, and hopefully style, that matches what's left of mine. After we discard it when we make it home, without anyone seeing, the excuse will be that a drink was spilled on it so we threw it away. Since we arrived mostly in separation the only ones to have closely seen my dress will be grandmother and grandfather. The only threat will be grandmother since, let's face it, there's no way dearest grandpapa is going to remember what I wore tonight."

"You're planning on covering up the assassination attempt from your family?!"

"Yes." Chimere's brown eyes were fully open and bore into Lyla's. She gave no other response to her accusation.

With not much else Lyla could do or say in the current situation, she simply said, "You know I can't lie to a Beaumont if directly asked."

"Then don't get yourself put in that situation." With that Chimere closed her eyes again and lay back down in a comfortable position as she waited for Lyla to find a dress.

Catherine von de Carlais

Cathrine was glad that princess Alice accepted her offer, as there were quite many things she wanted to ask her. Catherine's pose relaxed a little as the royal heir gave her a bigger smile, it meant that she had not made a mistake.

When the princess mentioned that this night was an eventful one her curiousity perked up. Was she talking about it as the first step of union? Or was there something else had happened? But she successfully hided her herself with a smile. It was improper to ask directly to the princess like that. Especially when they just met. Well, in the sense of this night, Catherine was an anonymous woman in this party after all.

"
Ah... It would be my honor, Princess Alice." Catheine replied when the other woman offered her a dance. She was surprised to be honest, but the princess's offer was a reasonable one. The atmosphere was really fit for dancing, and conversations sometime went more smoothly in the midst of waltz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back