• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Music of the Night: The Phantom of the Opera Returns (Guile & Melody)

Saiyan Princess

Always unhappy
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
After Christine was released from captivity by the Phantom, she and her lover, Raoul, went on to live their lives together, led by the music they shared and eventually, raising their daughter the same way. Now, the grown woman, only eighteen years old, is hearing the same voice that Christine heard so long ago but had long since left her ears. He seemed genuinely concerned for the girl, called Catherine, for he had lost Christine to a mere fool that had stolen her, and he wasn't about to lose another of his precious pupils.

It's a one on one with Guile

I love description

I love activity

Read more about this role play... 
Raul and Christine sat in box three, like they always did. They always avoided box five, the Phantom's seating area. They hadn't told their daughter, who was currently fourteen, about Christine's famous teacher. The one that blessed her with a voice. Hopefully, he would be long gone by now. "Remember to stay close, dear." Raul spoke softly. "Do not wander." "Of course, Papa." Catherine answered him as she brushed hair from her face.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Phantom sat inconspicuously in his own personal box, box five. The managers had been doing well recently with keeping it open for him. He supposed they grew tired of unwanted disasters and finally gave in to his wishes. As he sat in the shadows of box five he happened to glance over at the other boxes, one in particular caught his attention: box three. The Phantom could barely believe his eyes - he had to blink a few times and look again. But, no, it was no an illusion he was seeing. It was indeed Raoul de Chagny and Christine...Christine...He thoughtabout all that the two of them had been through and he felt a fresh wound opening in his heart at all the sad memories. Then his attention was diverted to another person in the box with them. She looks like Christine, but a bit younger. He thought. Could she be...her daughter? The thought shocked the Phantom, but he was nevertheless determined to meet this young girl.

Catherine, getting anxious as she sat in her seat, walked as far forward as she possibly could to get a glimpse of the girl on stage with melodious voice. "She's amazing, Mama." Catherine dropped her jaw in wonder as she listened, not having noticed anyone near her and her family. "Come back, Catherine. You'll fall." Christine was constantly worried about her daughter being taken from her, constantly looking over her shoulder. The child rolled her eyes. "Oh, Mama. I'm alright." She glanced over at Box Five. "Mama, Papa! Why is that man wearing a mask?" She pointed in the Phantom's direction. Her parents looked over too. "Child, there is no one there and do not stare, it is unladylike." Raoul scolded his daughter.

The Phantom had not been able to take his eyes off of box three since he had noticed them sitting there. He could have cared less about the performance happening on the stage below, he was more focused on this girl. He watched her as she walked forward in the box to get a better look at the singer on stage, as she spoke to her parents about something he could never hear. Then he watched her as she looked over - right at him. He met her eyes for a second, saw her turn and ask her parents something to which they looked over at him as well. His heart stopped for a moment. If they see me...Well, he couldn't even imagine what could happen. However, they turned their gazes back to their daughter and seemed to shrug off whatever she had just said as unimportant. The Phantom breathed a silent sigh of relief. He made a mental note to be more careful now about being in the open. If Christine or Raoul even mildly suspected of him still being here in the opera house, they would leave immediately and never return. He must be more careful, yes. So, as silently he had snuck into box five, he turned and snuck back out - without drawing attention he hoped. He couldn't risk sitting there any longer. Something near him - or perhaps he himself - had caught the attention of the girl. If she persisted in finding out what was in box five he did not want to be there when she undoubtedly showed up with her parents.

Catherine sighed. "Yes, Papa. I'm sorry." She sat back down in her seat, just as the woman below was finished with her song. Monsiuer and Madam De Chagney left the box immediately, worried about their child. "Catherine, come now." Christine ordered. The girl obeyed, but her mind was still on the Phantom. He was just there! She thought to herself. "Mama, are you sure you didn't see anyone?" Christine stopped, turned around and got on one knee, taking her daughter's hand. "Little one, hear me. I do not want to hear any more of this nonsense about a man in a mask. People will see you as mad and take you away. Do you understand?" She held Catherine's cheek. "Yes, Mama. I understand." Catherine couldn't push the Phantom from her mind as she followed Raoul into a carriage.

The Phantom wandered the halls of the opera house, knowing every inch of it and how to get around without being seen. He watched from the shadows as Christine got on one knee and whispered to her daughter. He heard Christine's warning to her daughter, but paid little attention. The sound of her voice and having her so close was bringing back painful memories. He followed them from a good distance behind, making sure to not be seen again. He split away from them as they went to leave the opera house. Instead of following he watched them from a window. He hoped that they were not too frightened by their daughter's mention of him to not return, but he supposed they wouldn't believe her. After all, she's just a young girl. Who would?

Catherine did not cease her thoughts of the masked man at the opera house and, the very next day, as her parents were in town on business, she escaped from the manor where they lived and visited her favorite place in all of her homeland. The Opera House was as beautiful and proud as ever and the music filled her delicate ears once again. The owners, Catherine didn't know their names quite yet, were going through their finances and the cast for the next performance. "This place is much quieter now that this so called Phantom has disappeared, don't you think?" The shorter of the two spoke. Her partner grunted his answer as he continued to count. Gathering all courage she could muster, Catherine cleared her throat. "Did you just say 'Phantom'?" The woman jumped, having not noticed the child. "Miss De Chagney! What a pleasant surprise! Tell me, how are your mother and father?" Catherine's heart was beating rapidly. "They are well. Tell me, have you seen the masked man too?" The short, squat man chuckled. "I beg your pardon, but that man doesn't really concern you, does he?"

The Phantom had watched the young girl entering the Opera House once again and smiled to himself. This could be his chance to meet her - her parents did not seem to be around. He followed as far as he could, without being seen, as she went up to the managers and asked them about him. Apparently she's as curious about me as I am of her. He had to stifle a laugh at this.

"No, sir, but I saw him here last night. In your opera house. Box five." She pressed on. She was not scared of these men, but her family could really drive the managers into the ground if they didn't cooperate. The blonde haired, green eyed, now pale faced woman sputtered and got really close to Catherine. "Listen, we cannot have mention of that thing in this building." Catherine reached into her pocket and threw down a small sack of money. "It's all I have with me." The woman, called Frida Beaumont, looked at the money, then Catherine. "Listen, I've heard tell that he stays hidden under this very building. The only two people to ever see him are your parents." Catherine stepped back. Her parents knew! She had to find out more. "Thank you, ma'am." She escaped to explore the entire building.

The Phantom listened in on the conversation, growing red hot at the mention of "that thing." He ignored how much it stung him - why should he care what the managers thought as long as they did what he wanted? All that mattered at the moment was that he got to speak to this girl. He followed her around the Opera House, waiting until they were out of sight of any possible person that could be wandering through the building to finally speak to her. "You wish to know of the Phantom?" His voice was a whisper, but it was powerful - filling the surrounding area with a sense of unease. He did not show himself to her just yet, he stayed in the shadows - careful to stay out of the sight of her watchful eyes.

De Chagney stopped dead in her tracks at the sound of that voice. "What do you know of him? Where are you?" She looked left and right to find the source of the male voice. "I'm warning you now that if you harm me, my father will see you executed!" She could feel her legs shaking and the blood leave her angelic features. "What do you ask of me?"

The Phantom laughed and the sound reverberated off of the walls. "Your father...is a coward." He practically hissed at her, though the harshness in his tone was not to be directed at her. He was thinking of Raoul and it angered him. "I will not harm you." He added in a much softer tone. "What do I know of the Phantom?" He asked in an almost playful manner. "Well, I know that he lives under this opera house and he knows your mother and father - but, you'll already know that from the word of the ever-so loyal managers. So, I'll give you a little more information. He lives, specifically, in the fifth cellar. He had a...run-in with your parents many years ago that...didn't end so well for him. Let's just say...he guiltily holds a bit of a grudge." He paused, as if thinking. "Oh!...And he seems to have taken a bit of interest in you, my dear girl." He stepped out from the shadows and stood behind her. When he spoke now, his voice seemed more clear - coming from an exact spot now and it didn't just float around the room. It came from directly behind her. "Now, won't you be so kind as to tell him your name?" He asked in a whisper.

Catherine could feel him behind her, but refused to turn around. Her heart beat rapidly against her breast and her breathing got heavier, as though she could not breath even though there was plenty of oxygen in the room for one hundred people. "I-I am...Lady Catherine De Chagney..." she gasped out and felt her legs go numb. "Daughter of Raoul De Chagney and Christine Daee." She moved away from him without even glancing at the man. "Why does the Phantom want me?" She asked as though the man she was speaking to wasn't the one she spoke of. "Apparently, that man died long ago."

The Phantom did his best the calm her, keeping his voice soft and a bit less menacing. He wanted to gain her trust. "Catherine...you have a beautiful name. As beautiful as your mothers'." He added. "The Phantom has always been a man of music. Your mother had a beautiful voice, child, as I'm sure you know very well. She sang here for some time and was very well liked by many people for her voice - the voice that the Phantom gave her. You see, he taught her to sing the way she does. And...I believe that is why the Phantom wants to know you, Catherine. Perhaps you have the potential to be a great singer, just like your mother." He paused for a moment, then continued on. "Oh, and he did not die. After he freed your mother and father he stayed very well hidden for quite some time - grief-stricken I suppose. But, no, not dead. My child, you are speaking with him right now." He smiled, though she was turned from him and could not see.

She spun around immediately and saw the Phantom of the Opera for the first time. "You're the Phantom?" She moved closer to him. Something in her was wanting to be with him. "You taught my mother." It wasn't a question. "I want to thank you for her voice and her freedom. She is a wonderful wife and exquisite mother." She reached out to touch him, expecting her hand to fade through him. "Why me? Why is it that you want me to be your voice out on that stage?" She pointed to her left, his right as her other hand took his.

The Phantom was almost startled at her sudden change in attitude, it made him smile though. He had won her trust, for the most part. As she went on, thanking him for her mother, he began to realize for the first time the depth of his sins. He had tried to cage Christine - deprive her of her right to live her life the way she wanted. He saw before him a girl who would not have been born had he kept Christine. He would have deprived Catherine of her life as well. For once, he was glad - if just a tiny bit - that he had freed Christine. He found it hard to swallow as Catherine took his hand in hers, and all he could manage was a quiet, "you're welcome." He had to pause to catch his breath - a little uneasy at the touch of another person. Then, he was able to answer her question. "Why you?" He repeated, as if he were asking himself the same question. The answer? He didn't really know. "Well, you have the blood and courage of your mother, I can see that much. As I said before, I think you have the potential to be great." Then he added, in a guilty whisper, "plus, I believe I owe it to your family to do something good for one of you - for once." He had to look away from her, his guilt not allowing him to look in her eyes.

Noticing that this man was uncomfortable with her touching him, Catherine slowly removed her hand. "I-I would accept your o-offer, but my parents m-might be angry." He was real! "But, if I can accomplish it again, I shall return." She left him. "I shall accept your offer, my good sir, if you'll accept me as your pupil."

The Phantom watched her go and bowed his head, lost in old memories. He managed to say, "you are always welcome here" not knowing if she heard him or not. He wasn't too concerned about her not coming back. If she was half of Christine she would find a way to return - she had the curiosity and boldness to want to be his pupil, he knew.

Christine and Raoul were just coming out of a restaurant across the street when they saw their daughter come from the the enormous building that housed Christine for so long. "How will I find you, sir?" Catherine asked the Phantom, not knowing if he could hear her outside the building. "Catherine, there you are, my love!" Raoul took her hand and walked with her to their carriage again. "Where were you?" His daughter thought up an answer. "Papa, I was offered an audition for the upcoming performance." Raoul's eyes were wide with shock. "Dearest, if you believe that you will succeed, you should accept the audition and your mother and I shall stay with you to hear you sing for the first time." Secretly, her father was nervous. Christine held her husband's hand as the carriage rolled on. "My audition is tonight, Mama." Catherine's eyes were filled with such joy that her mother could not refuse.

The Phantom stood at a window and watched Catherine below, knowing she was wondering how she would find him again. He gave her a look of understanding and bowed his head slightly to her - a gesture of reassurance. He would find her when she came again, no need for her to worry. He backed away from view as Raoul came up and took his daughter's hand. As they rode off in the carriage, the Phantom made his way through the cellars of the Opera House and down to his lair. He would play some music and wait for his new pupil to return to him.

As soon as the child reached home, she searched for everything that she would need and thought of how she would get an audition in just a few hours time. She would simply just pay off the managers for her audition and now, there was the problem of her master. If he was caught and taken away, it would be her fault! Her face was pale in the mirror. Half her face was gone in the mirror, replaced by a mask. It wasn't her face she was seeing. She desired very much to scream, but she also didn't want to scream. He had found her at her home, but he was miles away. She blinked and the Phantom had disappeared. "I must be mad." She spoke to herself as she went back to the carriage, ready to go, money in her pocket again.

The Phantom played his Don Juan for the first time since Christine had left him. He allowed all of those sorrowful memories invade his min once again as he played on - letting the tears run down his face. He stopped playing and threw himself over the keys, creating a loud clash of notes. He wept onto the sleeve of his shirt for a few moments before forcing himself to stop and stand. He went over to one of his less-shattered mirrors and looked at himself through the shards of glass. He took off his mask slowly and stared at his deformity - the one thing that forever branded him as a monster, no matter how much his heart tried to prove otherwise. Filled with rage he punched the already broken mirror and hardly noticed the glass that ripped through his skin until he pulled his hand back and noticed the blood dripping. Suddenly overly calm and collect, the Phantom poured water over his hand and wiped the blood off of him. There wasn't enough blood coming out that he needed to wrap his hand, but there were cuts all over his hand. He shrugged, knowing it would stop bleeding very soon - it was already slowing quickly - and put his mask back on. The rage and all other emotions were tucked back inside a special cage in his heart as quickly as they had broken out. Then, he made his way up into the Opera House to wait for Catherine. He knew she would be back soon.

She entered through the huge doors once again, ahead of her parents, to find the Phantom. She had told her mother that her teacher wanted to speak with her alone for an hour or two, giving herself time with the Phantom. "Master, I have come back to see you." She stood in the very same spot she was when they first encountered each other. "I am here to accept your offer, sir." Catherine spoke calmly and quietly. "You can come out, sir. We are isolated."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back