• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Inter-Galactic Feuds - In-Character

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

• Sylva GreenfieldLocation: Hangar 016
    Interactions: AlphaBlueWolf AlphaBlueWolf
    Current Mood: Cheery
    Current Weather: None
    Current Time: August 5th, 3251. 7:46am

Sylva shook her head at Rae, "Thanks, Rae but I'd rather learn by myself. You and your brother are welcome to join me though." Truthfully, she wanted to avoid Rae snooped around the ship and finding out what Vincent had left for Sylva. Plus, Sylva was a self-teacher, she learned a lot of she knows on her own.

It avoided Sylva having to explain why Sylva was initially so shaky. She'd tell them but maybe not right now, "Maybe for now we can try and meet the other students?"

• "Ah, you're right." Joo backtracked. "I should've been able to tell by that thick accent. But hey, I hope you're enjoying the U.S so far."

Joo glanced over to Courtney and then looked back and Pierce. She had expected him to still be all broken over her scolding, but he seemed to revert back to his original attitude. Brash and hilarious. Funny how he could forget about all of that so quickly.

"Guess we have something in common." Joo continued, a smile spread on her face. "I'm also from out of the country. I was born and raised in South Korea, but I got to America two years ago."

South Korea may have been a long time ago, but Joo could remember it like it was yesterday. Her old friends, the scenery, and of course, the food. A wave of nostalgia rushed through her body as she thought about it. It was the place where her love for medical attention sparked, where she had learned from her father before his sickness hit, and it was especially her home.She'd give it all to go back, but right now, she had better things to do.

For her father, she'd train to find a cure for his disease.

• Raelyn slumped a little when Sylva refused. She'd just been really excited to help out a new friend, but now that had gone down the drain. But she said they could join her, so maybe if Sylva had any questions she'd come to Rae. "Yeah, sure." She said, trying not to let the disappointment show.

Sylva suggested they try to meet some other students. She nodded then looked around. She saw the boy who Tommy had antagonized earlier, talking to another boy. Best to stay clear of them, unless they wanted Tommy and him going at it again. Tommy was the type to say anything antagonistic or whatever was on his mind, while Pierce seemed they type who'd come right back at him with immediate defensiveness. Not that that wasn't warranted, because Tommy had been the one out of line, but she'd rather avoid a confrontation altogether.

She looked around, spotting another group. She took an interest in them because of the monkey sitting on the blonde boy's shoulder. It had a black vest on, the type you saw on service dogs. It definitely seemed strange, but also intriguing. And it got her curiosity running. The boy with the monkey talked in light conversation to a girl who looked to be of Asian descent. Another girl was with them, who looked very prep school like, and way over dressed for flight school. An interesting bunch, who they hadn't met. Probably the safest bet.

But before Raelyn could comment, she turned to hear her father's voice. He informed them that this was the end of orientation, and that they could just chat for now. He also confirmed the fact that tomorrow was an off day, where they pretty much had free rein to get accustomed to the new area. Isaac stayed where he was, so that any students could ask him questions.

"Well, guess we really should meet the other students." Raelyn remarked. She pointed over to Joo, Austin, and Courtney. "They seem nice. Maybe we should talk to them. But, uh, how?"

"Just walk up to them."

"You know what I mean. It's just, I don't want to intrude on their conversation or anything."

And there she was, considerate Rae. Tommy just sighed. She couldn't be considerate of everyone, always.

Current Mood: Cheery
    Current Time: August 5th, 3251. 7:47am

Skyla stood to the side, like Rae, she wasn't all that great, or even wanted to, at starting conversations. She saw Isaac standing by his loneseom, well he was actually waiting for students to ask questions. Without telling Rae or Tommy, she left and headed towards Isaac, "Um.. S-Sandstorm? Tomorrow, a-are we able to fly our ships around the academy grounds? I-I was hoping to get familiar w-with it..." Skyla asked Isaac shyly.

(The students are able to take their ships a 50 miles from Earth, Alpha. Any further and the automatic theft prevention kicks in. Just so you know and Isaac can reply)

• "How do you think we should ap-" Rae cut herself off as Sylva went a different direction. "Sylva, wait."

But the girl had already strode away, heading towards the siblings' father. "Looks like she likes Dad better."

"Shut up, Tommy." She said anxiously. That didn't help her at all, considering she'd been afraid of what others would think of them being Sandstorm's children. And she didn't want anyone to take advantage of them either, gaining their trust so they could become favorites in the eyes of a legend.

But as they followed, Raelyn realized she'd only wanted to ask if they could fly tomorrow. Isaac gave a warm and inviting smile as Sylva approached, who stuttered through her question. "That's a good question. And I like the initiative you're taking." He said, hoping the compliment would ease her while talking to him. "I've actually spoken to Mara about this, and we've decided to allow it. You can go around the academy grounds, but also out into space. We're allowing 50 miles from Earth. No more than that. And there will be someone here to oversee those who choose to fly, so any confusion and questions you have can be cleared up. Which will probably end up being me. Or maybe I can delegate it to someone else, since I might end up being busy." He put a finger to his chin, thinking deeply on it. He'd promised Sleepy he'd help him should he need it with Lucy. So, he'd have to pick a backup just in case. Automatic no on Charlotte. She'd probably instruct the kids to fire the weapons around the campus, and probably get into another fight with Tommy. Maybe Vincent. He looked towards his children as they approached. "Hey kiddos."

"Hey, Dad." Raelyn said, comfortable in front of Sylva because she already knew. Tommy said nothing, just glared at his father with his hand in that same pocket. But that didn't deter Sandstorm. In fact, he figured the glare meant Tommy had found his present. His mother's training ship. It was the best he could do, since talking about her was too hard for Isaac. Clearly he'd found some indication that the twin ships, now belonging to Tommy and Raelyn, were their father and mother's respectively. He gave a soft smile towards Tommy's glare.

"So, does that answer your question? Got anymore for me?" Isaac said, turning back towards Sylva. He decided not to mention the automatic theft prevention, since anyone would find out if they tried to take it beyond 50 miles in space. Besides, Sylva seemed like she was a good kid. And his children were good too. Well, Tommy would certainly find out if he tried to push the limits like he usually did.

Current Mood: Excited
    Current Time: August 5th, 3251. 7:48am

Sylva shook her head when Isaac finished explaining and asked if she had anymore question, "Nope, that was it. Thank you." Sylva turned to Raelyn, "It's decided then, tomorrow, I'm goin' to practice flying!" She said, rather excitedly to Raelyn. Sylva turned to look at Tommy, "You comin' with?" Her southern accent poking through a bit from the excitement. She hid her southern accent pretty well but when she got excited, it poked through a bit and would go unnoticed by her, "I'd really lo- uh... like it if ya came with-- F-For Raelyn's sake I mean!" She quickly corrected herself at that last part.

• "No problem." Sandstorm responded, glad that Sylva hadn't stuttered this time around.

Sylva turned towards the siblings, specifically Raelyn, saying tomorrow she was definitely going to fly around in her ship. Rae smiled at her excitement, feeling it get her all excited as well. Because Sylva didn't even have to ask. She'd definitely be coming with her for this. She couldn't wait to fly, and just the thought already got her tail swaying.

"And I'm definitely coming with!" Raelyn responded, her one-track mind preventing her from noticing the shift in accent.

But Tommy did immediately, noticing that Sylva wasn't pronouncing her g's and pronouncing 'you' like a whole cowboy. He narrowed his eyes as she turned towards him, asking if he'd come with them. She stuttered out that she'd like him to come with, then corrected herself that it was for Raelyn. "Of course. Wouldn't want my baby sister to get a demerit because she was so mesmerized by space travel that she forgot there was a limit."

Which was totally something Raelyn would do, if she wasn't careful.

She gave Tommy a deadpan look to show her dissatisfaction, even though the statement could end up becoming true. Though, she had noticed the way Sylva asked Tommy, saying that she'd like him to come. She knew that it wasn't just for her. She smiled at Tommy and Sylva; glad Tommy had made a friend. At least someone who didn't mind his company and the sometimes brash comments that came with it.

"What's that smile? What are you up to?"

"Nothing!" Raelyn answered quickly.

Tommy just shook his head, then turned back to Sylva. "Anyways, why are you talking like that all of a sudden? You sound like you should be a cowboy in a wild west movie."

"Tommy!" Raelyn chided, though Tommy didn't break his stare at Sylva.

Current Time: August 5th, 3251. 7:49am

Sylva was thrilled that both Raelyn and Tommy would. Her excitement cut short when Tommy mentioned her accent, her face flushed red immediately and she turned away, clearing her throat, "Sh-shut up! I ain't-- I'm not talkin'-- talking like I'm in anythin'-- uh, anything." The mention really flustered Sylva. Sylva covered her face with her hands, 'I thought I was over this stupid accent...'.

She peeked at Raelyn and Tommy through her fingers, her face was still flushed, "Please don't tell anyone I talk like this... it's really embarrassin'." She was really embarrassed that she was southern, especially in a city like Chicago.

• Raelyn immediately felt bad when Sylva's face flushed bright red and she started getting all defensive. She elbowed her brother in the arm, but he didn't stop. Eventually, the girl peeked her eyes out of her fingers, her hands covering her face, to look over to the two of them so she could ask them not to tell anyone.

Raelyn cocked her head to the side, confused at how something like an accent could be considered embarrassing. Then again, a lot of people wouldn't understand her need to hide that she was an alien. "We won't tell anyone. Isn't that right, Tommy?" She said as she socked him in the arm.

"Sure. Not like anyone would care anyways though."

"But why do you hide it?" Raelyn asked. "I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of, honestly. It's... southern, right? I think that's cool, actually. You're from a place we don't have any experience with, so it's cool to meet someone who grew up around there."

• "I came here to...gain more experience in my field." Joo answered Austin. "Yeah, I did come to serve in the Defense Fleet, but, medical attention was my main priority coming here. There's someone who needs that kind of help, but I'm not skilled enough to help them yet. And what better place is there to learn than here?"

As far as Joo knew, the finest medics came from the Imperial Space Academy. The academy was known for its rigorous selection process and its stringent medical training. It was also the only institution in the empire to offer advanced medical courses and specialized training for medics. Here, there were all sorts of highly skilled medics, like the legendary Jessica White. Jessica was renowned for her skill and knowledge in emergency medicine. Joo heard that she had never lost a patient before. Jessica was the perfect example of what a medic from the Imperial Space Academy could achieve. And as long as she stuck to her studies and paid close attention, Joo was bound to increase her medical prowess.

Joo echoed Austin's question back on him. "What about you? If you don't mind me asking, of course."

Current Mood: Shy
    Current Time: August 5th, 3251.

Sylva shyed away a bit, "I hide it 'cause... I don't like it. It makes me sound immature. Plus not everyone likes a country bumpkin like me." She sighed, "My brother pulls it off 'cause he's big an' famous and it's kinda his trademark. Me, I'm just a shy girl who's the sister of the one of the biggest inventors in the world." She didn't want to admit it but she has a bit of a inferiority complex with her brother. On the one hand, she loves him but everyone compares her to him and it gets to her.

• Pierce was baffled when Lance started criticizing his J-Mod. Of all of the Nebula Industries models he's checked out, Pierce has yet to find one he doesn't like. The last time he read about the J-Mod was in the industry's official spacecraft database, and he was quite impressed. With Pierce's love for weaponry, what impressed him most were its Pack-Hound missiles. They're absolutely brutal at damaging hulls, something Pierce would love to do. And along with their heat-seeking capabilities and unpredictable movement patterns, they were high on Pierce's weapons tier list.

But he'd never actually seen a J-Mod up close until now, so he wasn't even aware of the issues they might face. According to Lance, it was a "piece of garbage" with a busted AI and a warped frame. The engines were rusted as well and would probably deconstruct at any moment. It was a "flying death trap" for Lance, and with those mishaps, Pierce agreed. That rust will eat away at your engine, and then you'll find yourself broken down in the middle of space waiting for a repair ship to retrieve you.

Lance specified how he particularly didn't like the J-Mod, but he did believe that Nebula Industries had produced some remarkable pieces of engineering. "Damn right they have." Pierce agreed. Lance continued to mention the I.F.N. Victorian and Pierce's eyes lit up at the very mention of the spacecraft. It was like the mere mention of a secret treat was enough to light up a child's face with glee.

Immediately, he got excited about the subject and said, "Psh, have I seen the—who hasn't seen the I.F.N. Victorian? It's only one of the greatest ships Nebula Industries has ever made!" Pierce smiled as he spoke. "24, I repeat, 24 frickin' weapon hardpoints! Not to mention its crazy-strong hull integrity and shields! I'd love to see that baby in action. I mean, just imagine the-"

Pierce halted his rant and backtracked to what Lance had said. It was due soon? As in, coming here?

"Wait a minute, it's gonna be warping in? Are you screwing with me? Or is this, like, deadass?"

Lance TheodoreLocation: Hangar 016
Mentions: SharkBark SharkBark
Current Mood: Interested

Lance nodded, "Yeah, I know the weaponry it has. My mom is basically commander of the thing. Well... an Officer on it." Lance rubbed the back of his head, "Don't tell anyone I told you. My mom swore to make me keep it a secret."

Lance put a finger on his chin in thought, "You said earlier if I liked Nebula Industries, I'd have to say they're my second favorite. First has to be Core Dynamics, or at least the Core Dynamics Sorcerer is." Referring to Vincent's personal Sorcerer, the only Sorcerer actually produced, making it literally one of a kind, "That sleek design, aerodynamic for both atmospheric and space combat... not that you need aerodynamics in space but you get it."

• "I don't think it sounds immature." Tommy said, which must've surprised both of them considering he wasn't the sentimental type. That's definitely not what he had presented so far. "It's what you make of it. People usually think I'm scary, doesn't stop me. You have to learn not to care what others say. You should only care about the people who really matter. It's what they think that truly matters. Besides, if someone makes fun of you for it, call me and I'll beat them up for you."

"Man, an offer like that is how you know Tommy really cares for you." Raelyn giggled. Tommy gave her the side eye, and she stuck her tongue out at him.

"Besides, going here, I was excited to meet people from all over the place! I like your accent. I like meeting all sorts of people. This place would be really boring if we didn't get to meet people from every corner of the world. Even beyond this planet! And you're not alone in your feelings, either. My dad is standing right over there. Honestly, I was always afraid that people would think we got accepted because our dad was one of the teachers here. I wanted to stand out as my own person, and I didn't want people to think I was the product of nepotism. Even now, I'm still a little scared the other students are gonna think that way, but it still makes me happy that you never brought it up. You didn't care about it, and I don't care about you being southern either, so, maybe we can not care together?" Her face grew bright red as her tail shifted, "Oh, wow, that probably sounds terrible out loud."

Current Mood: Shy

Sylva was surprised at first but then smiled at Tommy's proposition, "Aww, that's probably the nicest thing you've ever done for me." Her smile slightly faded, "I'll keep that in mind... thank ya-you.." Her voice trailed off towards the end.

Her gaze shifted to Rae as she spoke, "I didn't think to bring it up because it didn't feel necessary to do so." She listened as Rae went on about how she was afraid and understood that. Sylva isn't afraid more so just anxious to be around unfamiliar due to be bullied in her younger years. Sylva smiled at Rae's end of her sentence, "Sounds vaguely romantic, Rae. Almost like you're askin' me out!" Sylva lightly giggled and grabbed Rae's hand and grasped it in her own, "I'm slightly tempted to accept your proposal." She gave Rae a small giggle and let go of Rae's hand, "We'll not care together." Sylva pointed her thumb at Tommy, "This lump can join us too, I guess." She said, referring to Tommy in a joking manner.

Last edited:

• Joo smiled as Austin complimented her career choice, grateful for the recognition. Her smile was tender and gentle, expressing her gratitude without Joo saying a single word. Austin continued to say that he had great respect for medics and explained what they had done for him in his life.

When Austin told Joo that medics had taken great care of him after his injury, she stared briefly at his arms, then instantly looked up again. Joo's smile faded in shame. She had a feeling that his prosthetic limbs were what he was referring to. Joo started to ask him what had happened, but he bit her tongue and forced her curiosity back down.

She didn't want to be unintentionally disrespectful, like Pierce was, and end up offending the guy. And speaking of Pierce, deep down, she wished he was here now. If he were, he'd ask what happened to Austin in an instant.

Answering her question, Austin told Joo that he had come to the Imperial Academy for a less interesting reason. He wished to fly among the constellations. Not just that, Austin wanted to experience space. Up close and personal, from the comfort of a spacecraft. He wanted to prove that, despite his condition, he could still accomplish his dreams. Austin wanted to prove to himself and others that his physical disability did not prevent him from achieving his dreams. He wanted to explore space and experience the vastness of the universe firsthand.

Joo's eyebrows raised, and she let out an audible "Huh?" at his revelation. "The constellations? Really? No way you're calling that boring." Joo smiled again. "That's actually a pretty cool goal! Unique too, at least to me it is. It's been a while since I've heard of someone wanting to explore space for the sole purpose of just...exploring space, really. I guess I got used to people wanting to go there to shoot down other spaceships." Joo laughed slightly, then nodded in approval. "But seriously, it's interesting. Really...what's the word...ambitious. I'm sure you'll be able to make it happen."

Still walking toward their destination, Joo asked, "So, what constellation are you most eager to see?"

Lance TheodoreLocation: Hangar 016
Mentions: SharkBark SharkBark
Current Mood: Interested

Lance nodded his head in agreement, "Sure but that's not my kind of playstyle. I prefer support. Something like the J-Mod can do that. The deadly combo of its EMP tractor beam and Packhound Missiles make it a force to be reckoned with if left unchecked."

Lance leaned on a beam that was sticking out of the ship's landing gear and it snapped, causing Lance to fall down. It was about here that the ship's holo-projectors spun and projected an image in front of the two boys. The woman looked down at Lance while Lance looked up at her, "What? This ship is falling apart, mom.." Amanda scoffed then looked to Pierce.

She paused for a moment, when she did there was a faint red glow within her eyes that disappeared when she spoke up, "Hmm... Pierce Eisenhower, is it? Makin' friends with my problem child?" Lance got up and dusted himself off and sighed, "Pierce, this is my mom. Amanda. Everyone in the Navy calls her 'Overlord'." Amanda looked at Lance with a look that told him that he just gave away too much information about her which caused Lance to mouth the word 'Sorry' to her. Amanda cleared her throat, "Don't mind me, I like checking up on my troublemaker every now and again. Good to see he's making friends already. He can be a handful sometimes." Lance gave Amanda a look that said 'Mom! Stop it!'.

• "Nice to meet you, 'Overlord'." Pierce said, still taken back by her sudden appearance. Lance had fallen down while leaning up against a beam, and a hologram must've been accidentally activated as a result. Pierce was caught off guard once more when Lance's mother said his name, but then thought of the possibility that she was listening in through the ship's system.

Pierce decided to lead the conversation. "If Lance here is a troublemaker, then I think we'll get along just fine. I've been called the same thing more times than I can count. Let's just say that I'm no stranger to stirrin' the pot. But I don't really consider it as causing trouble. More of...just havin' some fun."

• Lucinda nodded to everything Vincent was saying. He was right. If she had been in that kid's situation, she would've left. But it's also easier to say what you would've done as an outsider, rather than what you do when you actually experience something like that. The facts presented made it hard for her to believe that anyone in the kid's situation would have that easy of a time in getting out. As far as Lucinda could tell, the kid had no maternal figure in their life, none that the articles ever mentioned. Plus, they went into the system afterwards, so they couldn't find their mother. Which meant it was just their father looking after them, and no way for the kid to realize that everything that was happening to them wasn't normal. And no good influence for them too. Sure, they may have felt awful, but early on they would'nt have known any better. Plus, not to mention that they had been a substance abuser previously. So, they're situation came to a certain pleasantness and dependence. They couldn't leave because then they wouldn't be able to continue. They became reliant on the substances, and in turn reliant on the abuse to get to those substances. God, the kid's father really was sick if that had been his intention. If he had seen his kid inching away and gotten them a taste of that to keep their dependence on him. Though, she suspected he wasn't that smart. Low lives like him rarely were. But with all those factors, it'd be hard for anyone to leave, even if they had someone like a little sister depending on them to.

Vincent started going off about the metal dog, how the thing was a work of art, and how it had been a weapon, but reprogrammed as a friend. Lucinda suspected that dog was what kept the kid sane after they got out of that situation and into the system. She was glad she didn't follow orders on that one, assuming the kid would be released with the information she brought to Mara. They seemed like they wouldn't be able to function without the metal lug. But Vincent seemed to take a real special interest in the thing, that Lucinda wouldn't even think twice about despite as evidence and a tool for rehabilitating the little offender. Giving it an upgrade was quite the opposite from her previous orders of destroying it, but if Vincent wanted to mess around with it, by all means. It was his head. Though, Lucinda suspected it would come down on her as well should Mara find out prematurely. But, who knows, maybe Vincent could learn something from studying it.

"Sure, but it's possible your hard work will go to the scrapyard. I have to see what the Admiral says about all of this. She seemed pretty clear about her course of action." Of course, Lucinda didn't know Mara as well as the rest of them. And with the way she handled talking to Milo, it seemed she was set on giving the kid a permanent stay inside a cell.

She'd have her work cut for herself, putting together a bigger case file than what they had now. They couldn't rely on the dog's memory files alone, especially when relying on those meant she was admitting she went against her direct orders to check it out. That also meant admitting she'd gotten Vincent involved in all of this, which she really only meant to ask him about what he knew. She'd start calling around and constructing a case file to present to Mara, which meant a lot of work that Cinnabar couldn't be involved in this time. He was lucky she even let him come.

But when she turned to Cinnabar to tell him, she saw concern and sadness etching his face. The whole thing had shocked him. He was a pure boy, not yet used to the horrors of the world even if he sometimes learned about the messed-up cases Lucinda worked. Her face softened when looking upon him, and she moved a hand to his pat his head, releasing why she had taken a special interest in the other kid. They were Cinnabar's age, and she wouldn't want anyone neglecting his needs if he were in that situation like they had Milo's. The whole thing it home a lot harder when you were looking at it as a parent. Kneeling down beside him, she said, "Cinnabar, I need you to go back home. I have to work some more, and I can't have you following me around to a meeting. You were never even supposed to be involved in this."

"B-But, I want to be involved!"

"Enough. Home. Understand?"

"Yes, mom." Cinnabar said begrudgingly.

"Good," She stood up and turned to Vincent. "Thank you for your help with this. I need to find some way now to present this to the Admiral without jeopardizing both our jobs. I owe you a drink for your help."

The Next Day...Location: N/A
Mentions: SharkBark SharkBark AlphaBlueWolf AlphaBlueWolf
Current Time: August 6th, 3251. (Free time)

Hangar 016 was rather quiet aside from the busy day-to-day chatter of the engineer, pilots and students. Oddly, none of the engines of the ships have been fired up since yesterday and it was the afternoon. Aboard one specific ship though.

A pair of legs slid across the floor of the ship, the boots were recognizable. More got revealed, a familiar orange jacket and large sunglasses, it was Lance. He had headphones on and was listening to some music. The song playing in his headphones was Come and Get Your Love by Redbone. He sung along to the lyrics he knew as he took a seat in his commander's chair and looked out of his cockpit window, observing the various people walking along. He noticed one Sylva going to to her ship and began focusing on her.

Sylva approached her ship and looked at it for a moment before boarding, the ship greeted Sylva as she took her seat, "Lemme give Rae and Tommy a call..." The ship responded immediately, 'Calling Raelyn Sanders...' Sylva looked a bit surprised but the ship did actually end up calling Raelyn, "Uh... R-Rae? You there? If you are, uhm, I'm getting ready to fly. I'll wait for you in the air." Sylva looked at her controls, "That is if I can figure out how to even start this thing..." Then Sylva pressed a big green button and the pre-igniters fired up, which caused everyone around Sylva's ship to clear out, "Oh... that did... someth-" Before she could finish that sentence, the engines fully ignited and roared over the call, "Got it. 'Kay, see you in the air. Bye!" Sylva swiped her hand and hung up the call.

Lance turned away in his chair and got up, dancing and singing along to the words of the song that played in his headphones. He danced his way out of his ship to that faulty metal bar that he fell down on yesterday and began to working on it.

As he did, Cal walked by, headed towards where Lucy and her band practices, he seemed to be on the phone, "Lucy- no, Lucy, honey wai- I'm on my way please don-" Lucy had hung up on Cal and Cal sighed then called Isaac, "Come on pick up, pick up."

Last edited:

• Austin and Joo continued their conversation, with Courtney staying nearby but never directly joining. And the rest of the day went smoothly. After a little more walking, the students finally reached the next bay and were shortly thereafter escorted to their dorms. There, they met their roommates for the first time. Joo's initial impression of the two boys she was paired up with wasn't bad, just strange to her. Lance seemed quite friendly, though the only time he spoke to Joo was when they first saw each other, exchanging brief hellos. After that, he put on some headphones and jammed out to some tunes the entire time. It was pretty entertaining, actually. Lance had his volume up so high that Joo could hear it, even through the headphones. Every now and then, she found herself nodding her head at the rhythm.

Her second roommate, on the other hand, was almost the polar opposite of Lance. Tommy, otherwise known as Gut Punch by Pierce, was reclusive and silent. When he entered their dormitory, he didn't utter a single word to Joo or Lance. He just walked in and unpacked his stuff, which was somewhat surprising to Joo because just earlier in the day, she saw him talking frequently with those two girls and in the incident with Pyro. But now, it was like he'd been hushed. He was similar to a stone in a stream, still and silent, unperturbed by the flow of time. The only occasions he made a sound were when he seemed annoyed by Lance's blasting music and soft singing. In those instances, he let out an exasperated sigh or muttered something under his breath.

Either way, it was peaceful. Definitely not quiet, but peaceful.

The next day, students had some free time. And Joo knew exactly how to spend hers. She immediately headed toward the medical bay to check things out and maybe even interact with the doctors and nurses there. If she wanted to gain the knowledge to cure her father of his illness, Joo knew that she needed to take any opportunity she got. Everything else would come later.

When she got into the bay, Joo was taken aback by the cutting-edge and state-of-the-art gear and contraptions there. On the walls, there were interactive maps of the patient's entire body, denoting the exact location of the injury. There were also robots that assisted the doctors in diagnosing the patients. The bay was equipped with the latest medical technology, allowing the doctors to be more accurate and efficient in their work as well as providing a better experience for the patients. It was a sight to behold.

In awe, Joo wandered through the bay and spoke to any doctor or nurse she saw, as long as they weren't working. And unfortunately, most of them were studying patient body maps or giving diagnoses. So, Joo had only spoken to three so far, but it was worth it. Every bit of information was valuable, no matter how small.

• Lance TheodoreLocation: Hangar 016
    Interactions: SharkBark SharkBark
    Current Time: August 6th, 3251.

Lance jumped slightly when Pierce put his hand on Lance's shoulder. Lance took off his headphones, the music still blasting through them, it was almost comical how loud they were, and turned to look at Pierce with some relief, it was quickly broken as Lance heard the engines roaring in the hangar. Pierce noticing that it was Sylva, "It's a free day, we can do anything want today, within reason of course." Lance gestured to his ship, "Wanna take ours for a spin? It could be a good idea to get used to the controls and get a head start on everyone."

• The rest of their time together was spent chatting and conversing, the girls doing most of the work to pick up the conversation, while Tommy interjected a couple times where he saw fit. He maintained the mindset that Sylva was his sister's friend and not his. He was just lightly babysitting them to make sure the two didn't get into any trouble. Or, rather, that trouble didn't come to their doorstep. That was all. However, he continued to follow the conversation, laughed at any jokes he found funny, and smiled a substantial amount of times than you would think possible for him. Possible for someone who only thought of Sylva as Rae's friend. Maybe he wouldn't ever admit it, but he didn't find Sylva's companionship to be awful. In fact, he wouldn't even mind if a scenario popped up where his sister conveniently wasn't around, and he and Sylva were on their own. She was a pleasant enough individual to have around. Plesant enough to call a friend, though he didn't even want to admit that fact to himself, let alone others.

After a bit of time had passed, Sandstorm led them to their dorms, and also announced that they had sleeping arrangements with their teammates. Which meant he'd be leaving his sister to join two other students he knew nothing about. Just amazing. Though, looking upon her now, Raelyn didn't seem to mind the arrangement. Sure, she seemed bummed just as much as he was about them not being on the same team, however she had Sylva with her, so there seemed no reason for her to be scared. He felt proud of her, and it was much easier to say his goodbyes and retire to his own room.

Though, he didn't get the luxury of knowing his teammates, nor did he really want to get to know them. He plopped his stuff down on one of the beds and got comfy, not saying a word to the other two. One of his teammates was an annoying guy with music so loud that they streamed through his headphones and irritated the crap out of Tommy, though it was something he could handle without trying to punch the guy. Though he could tell he was gonna grate on his nerves a lot.

His other roommate was an Asian girl who seemed nice enough. He'd tried to ignore her, but she had tried to say hello to both him and Lance. He'd just avoided her on it, moving into the room without saying a word to her. In the back of his mind somewhere he told himself he shouldn't act like that. So, he gave her one of those guy nods when she had entered the room but stayed quiet otherwise. She kind of fascinated him, in a way. Maybe not fascinated, but at least their felt a need to know more about her, because of what he'd glimpsed briefly of her nature. He respected people like her, who weren't loud mouthed and instead were patient and kind. He was a loudmouth himself, but he didn't start that way unless someone else prompted him. Pyro had been asking for it, provoking him like that. If she would've simply answered his question like an actual teacher, kind and fair, then there would've been no incident. Joo seemed like the kind and fair type, even if he hadn't seen much of her so far. He could just sense people's personalities. Their posture, their tone of voice, their actions. All the things that led up to him being able to assess someone's character in an instant. So, he'd look up at times to her from whatever he'd been doing briefly, just for short glimpses. She didn't cause a ruckus like the other guy, doing her own thing peacefully. She'd tried to approach him with a nice hello before, but seemed to read that he didn't want to be bothered with. Relatively mindful that she shared a space with two other people, unlike the other one. However, besides that brief interaction he carried with his teammates, he chose not to get involved with them.

At night came the anticipated summons from his father. The two others had fallen asleep, while Tommy laid in bed clutching his phone. He wasn't tired yet, swiping through videos on how to restore old cameras. Then the alert popped up on his phone, the annoying text from his father. He cursed under his breath and ripped the covers off of him. He knew it would be coming eventually, but it was still annoying as hell. He pulled a hoodie over his chest, grabbed his phone, the polaroid, and the picture, and walked out of the room as silently as possible. The door creaked as he slowly shut it behind him, but otherwise he'd managed to not wake the others up, it seemed.

His father sent him directions on where he was going to be. In his classroom. Fitting with the lecture he was about to give him. He wandered around aimlessly, and about fifteen minutes later he found the room. The inside looked like an amphitheater, except less circular. His father was sitting at his desk, burning the late-night oil with boring old paperwork. When he looked up, he did not look pleased.

Then it started. The famous Isaac/Tommy feud that had befallen them in recent years. They couldn't just have a normal conversation without Tommy copping an attitude and his father disciplining him for some minor misdemeanor. It started out with the lecture about how he'd treated Charlotte. How he should behave better around a teacher and should never use violence to solve an answer. That prompted Tommy to respond that Charlotte was the one who was being an asshole, and Isaac didn't much like that language in reference to one of his colleagues. He told Tommy to never call her that again, and then went on about how Tommy would go apologize to her tomorrow. But there was no way he would do that. And that's when the real bickering started.

And, somehow along the way, the conversation became about Mom. Isaac had been the one to start it. He'd asked if Tommy was lashing out like that because of his mother. He'd yelled indignantly at the thought. Then, while they were on the topic, he brought up how Isaac had specifically arranged the ship assignments so that Raelyn would get his ship, and that Tommy would get his mother's. He brought out the picture he'd found in the ship, though didn't mention the camera that was snug in his pocket. He was beyond pissed about that. Sure, he loved getting the chance to work in the ship his mother was in years ago, but he still felt betrayed that his father would give it to him. He knew what bringing her up did to him. The word mom was never uttered in their household, unless you wanted total warfare between father and son. But the fact that Isaac never mentioned once that his mom went to the academy. Well, it's not like he talked about her at all. It was like the love of his life didn't even exist, which pissed him off.

Tommy was mad, and dodging questions wouldn't make anything better, so Isaac had resigned himself to explaining it a little. The bare minimum. Tommy's mother did go to the academy, however, only for a little while. Her condition had been far too fragile to continue on piloting and make a full-time career out of it. His mother knew it, the school's administration knew it. At some point, they'd told her she couldn't stay for health reasons, and she left without a fight. That was that. But that didn't quite satisfy Tommy's hunger to learn about his mother's school days.

Eventually, they got to a stalemate. With everything. His mother, the Charlotte situation. Nothing was resolved. Tommy got a lecture that went straight in one ear and out the other, and Isaac was once again reminded that him and his son were on thin ice, and somehow his wife's death had been the catalyst. But he wasn't truly understanding just what Tommy was so angry about. So, Tommy left.

He found an empty trash can, set it up like a punching bag, and hit it till cracks formed and blisters grew on his knuckles. He knew he just made some unhappy janitor's day, so he picked up the trash from all the cans he could find and deposited it in the disposal bin for them, hoping that would help fix his little tantrum and make the janitors a little less upset that they would have to report a beaten in trash can.

When he got back to the dorm, he plopped down on his bed and ran his fingers through his messy hair. He put a fresh pair of bandages over his knuckles, because of the new blisters from his workout. He got back in bed, but he couldn't fall asleep until much later. Sure, he'd gotten all his anger out, but that just left restlessness. He replayed the conversation over and over in his head, mostly the parts about his mother because that's all he really heard. More bitterness settled over, and it gave him a thick enough blanket to fall asleep with.

A shake woke him up. It felt like he'd only been out for a few minutes, and his body still felt tense and aching, like it longed for more sleep. He groggily opened his eyes to his sister's excited face. "Good morning, Sleeping Beauty." She said, flapping up his hair.

"What's got you excited this early in the morning?" Tommy said with a yawn as he sat up in bed. He looked around the room. First to the girl's bunk. Empty. Then, he realized the absence of annoying music and turned to the boy's bunk. Empty. He looked in between the bunks, no one except him and his sister in the room.

"It's not that early." Rae said, "Everyone's already up. The dorms are empty. Sylva got up before me. She's in her ship right now, getting a head start before us."

"How'd you get in here? Aren't the rooms locked?" Tommy got up and started getting ready.

"That other guy left it open."

"Let me guess, Loud Music Guy?"

"Yeah, it was so loud it hurt my ears." She said, rubbing her elongated ears which flexed like a cat's, "I don't understand how he can put it that loud without making himself deaf."

"Well, us regular old humans don't have your hearing. Actually, he has it so loud any human would go deaf in five seconds. He really is one of modern technology's greatest mysteries." Raelyn giggled and Tommy smiled. This is what he needed after the night he had. But, like always, Tommy and his father had one silent agreement. Keep Rae in the dark about as many of their conflicts as possible. She would never know about last night as long as he could help it. "Come on, Sylva's waiting. Let's get flying."

Chapter II: A Dreadful Discovery

• Sylva GreenfieldLocation: About 15 miles outside of Earth's atmosphere, Space.
    Current Mood: Terrified/Frozen with Fear
    Current Time: August 6th, 3251.

Sylva smiled at Raelyn's little nickname for her, "Wow, Syl? That's a new one." She giggled, "And you know me... I got excited!"

Sylva looked around at the vastness of the void laid out before her, "I dunno..." Sylva slowly moved her throttle forward with her left hand, which caused the thruster flames to grow brighter and the ship to blast forward, "Let's open 'er up and see what she can do!" Sylva used the joystick on her right hand to steer the ship. Sylva took her left hand off the throttle and flipped a few switches, which engaged the rear facing thrusters and disengaged the stabilizing thrusters and began slowing the ship but at the same time, Sylva yanked the flight stick and throttle, shutting off the thrusters and the ship began to flip around on the spot, "Woohooo!" As the ship made its 180 degree turn, Sylva flipped the same switches and pushed the throttle forward and the engines fired up again, yanking the ship forward and headed back towards Rae and Tommy, coming to a stop near them. Sylva had a big smile on her face, "I've seen my big brother do that move plenty of times... that was... exhilarating." Sylva turned her ship around to face away from Rae and Tommy, "Come on, let's go. We can just stretch our legs."

As she finished the sentence, she went to push her throttle forward to fly forward but nothing happened. In fact, all of her electronics were down, Raelyn and Tommy would find that the same thing happened to their ships. They were all dead in the water. It wasn't long before something decloaked in front of them, specifically right in front of Sylva. The thing was huge, easily 3 times the size of Sylva's own ship. It looked more alien then ship. The head looked like a flower and it had maybe 20 tentacle-like arms, two of which swung around and placed themselves on either side of Sylva's ship. Her ship rocked as they landed on her ship, the head of the alien ship seemed to pulse with a green color as if it was talking to something. Sylva herself looked terrified, frozen with fear as the alien thing fondled her ship.

The alien then seemed to let go of her ship then started to make a turn to get away, revealing the many more tentacle-like appendages that followed it as it turned and flew away, re-cloaking itself and vanishing. As soon as it vanished, Raelyn's, Tommy's and Sylva's ships all began their reboot process to restore the power to their systems. Once Sylva's ship regained power, it just floated there, Sylva was still frozen with terror at what had just happened to her.

• "So, you've heard of something like this before?" Joo asked, her eyes widening in anticipation.She was talking to yet another doctor stationed in the medical bay, and to her surprise, he said her father's condition sounds familiar. The doctor was a man with short brown hair wearing a classic lab coat. He had a calming face with a stubble beard and dull brown eyes. His voice was gentle as he spoke, and he had an air of intelligence about him. He spoke to Joo while swiping through a patient's body map.

"Yes," he began. "There were a lot of diseases that caused fatigue. Like cases where the body wasn't getting enough oxygen due to a lack of healthy red blood cells, which indicated anemia. Or could've been fibromyalgia, a sleeping disorder, hypothyroidism, maybe even adrenal insufficiency."

"Wait," Joo said. "Why are you speaking in past tense?"

"Because all of those diseases were cured decades ago. Many of them were. It'd be impossible for it to be an illness. Nowadays, we rarely get any patients with disease-related issues. It's just injuries. Especially injuries coming from fighter pilots."

Joo's eyes reverted to their usual position as she sighed in disappointment. All fatigue-inducing diseases were already cured? There's no way. Joo's family had taken her father to a plethora of high-ranking doctors and all of them diagnosed it as a disease, but one they couldn't determine. But if all were cured, then what could it be?

Finally looking at Joo, the doctor noticed her expression of despondency and spoke up again. "I'm sorry that I couldn't be of any good help."

"No, no," Joo reassured, her voice still holding some bitterness to it. "It's alright. Thank you for trying though."

"No problem. Hey, if you ever need any more information, feel free to come back and I'll provide what I can. And if you get any clues that could relate to the sickness you're so worried about, definitely come to any of us doctors and let us know. That way, we can begin looking into it. But if you need me specifically, ask for Dr. Pittman. Peter Pittman."

Joo gave a grateful smile. "Thank you, Dr. Pittman."

Peter glued his eyes back to the body map and continued to examine it, getting caught up in his work again. Joo walked away from his station and returned to the center of the bay, searching for another doctor to talk to. Even though it seemed futile. She had spoken to about 13 of them already, and each one of them had no idea what it was. Joo sighed and looked around for anyone else who might be able to help her. She felt a sense of desperation growing inside her, but she knew she had to keep searching. She had to find the answers she was looking for. After all, there was no one else to do it for her. The rest of her family had completely given up on her father by now, despite all of the times they lied saying still cared. Cared, her ass. Joo can't even remember the last time anyone had called to check up on him, or even come to visit at that. Now they were all quiet. But if he was to die, Joo was certain those greedy bastards would all be at the reading of his will to see if he left them anything, crocodile tears and all. So, the entire burden was on her shoulders now, forcing her between two choices. Either continue to search rigorously for a cure for her father or leave him to rot, just as the others had done.

As Joo was walking towards a doctor, something scurried up her body and settled on her shoulder.

Then upon inspection, and slightly flinching as she felt fur against her neck, she glanced over to see a familiar face close to hers. There, was Gigi. The service animal for the new friend she had made the day before. And almost at that exact time, Joo heard someone call out to her. When she turned to look, she saw that it was coming from Austin, the guy in discussion. When she realized it was the two of them, Joo's smile lit up and a smile appeared.

"Austin?" she replied, giggling as Gigi's fur continue to tickle her. "And hello to you as well, Gigi!"

Joo strode over to where Austin was, which was an office, possibly for an appointment, bringing Gigi back to him on her shoulder. Then, she turned sideways so that he could grab her.

"You're like, really, really bad at keeping her from crawling up people, you know that?" Joo joked with a giggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back