How To Save The World

Jukashi

Four Thousand Club
What ways possible ways exist, canonically, for a Circle of Solars to save Creation from all the threats that face it? List the ones you can come up with.

Theory 1: Jukashi's Method

Secure and repair the Orrery of Arainthu in Rathess; use it for advice and to head off as many threats as you can before they become powerful; use the time to train up the DKs around Rathess and rebuild the city. Use resultant well-equipped magical army to face down as many threats as possible, entering into alliances or at least non-aggression treaties with the Silver Pact and other powerful, non-threatening forces while doing so, until you find the Eye of Autocthon.

Autocthpwn everyone.

Theory 1-B: Then go to Auto and get him to fix the Curse. If this is not possible, institute a magistrate-like scheme for all Celestial Exalts, where they roam around dealing with problems but agree not to rule over anyone anymore themselves, as they have proven themselves incapable of doing it well.

Theory 2: Steam Faction Method

Head down to meet the Locusts and instruct them about how things work differently in Creation, enacting a change in their methods and thereby negating most of their negative impact. Help them conquer Creation, utilising the expertise of the native inhabitants to rule well.

Autocthpwn everyone. See theory 1-B.

What else?

Jukashi said:
Theory 1-B: Then go to Auto and get him to fix the Curse.
You can't fix something that no one knows about.  As far as I know canon-wise thus far there is no way to divine that the Great Curse even exists.

I could be wrong.

Lytek has been mentioned as knowing of it, but not so far having been able to fix it.

Edited Addendum:

Further...it shouldn't be hard to see that Exalts of all types tend to go batshit on occasion. Recognizing that as a problem wouldn't be too hard. Knowing the cause or how to repair it is another story entirelly.

The Exalted have thus far remained unaware of the Curse because that's part of what it means to have it. But when the Alchemicals come along, with their logic and reason and Clarity and non-Cursedness, they'll look around and say "Oi, these fellas do go utterly bonkers now and then, eh what?"

Plus, Auto himself probably worked it out. If you woke him up he'd probably tell you. Don't want a repeat of the last time, do we?

Lytek knows and the maiden of secrets knows too, its a secret after all so she has to.

And you really don't need A to fix the curse, but we had that often enough already.

Telling the exalts that they have a problem might make them go into denial and itching to BEAT THE LIVING/SPIRITUAL SNOT out of the one telling them that they have a problem.

One reason why Lytek isn't telling the sids about the problem. Also, the Sids/Lunars -know- or figure that the solars are going bonkers, they just have got the reasoning behind it wrong.

Also, Lunars know that they act differently at times. They attribute this to the will of Luna and they have the outlook on it that it's a feature, not a bug.

The dragonblooded would likely believe that their curse limit break is merely their elemental essence running true and influencing their behaviour. ie. the gift of the immaculate dragons being stronger than their semi-mortal bodies.

Of course, it doesn't help with the whole urge to remove the Curse thing when some Exalts Limit Break and you can't really tell the difference between their usual behavior and their limit broken behavior, save that it is perhaps more extreme. For example, I have a character with Foolhardy Contempt...thing is, they also, obviously, have a high Valor...and pretty much never suppress it. As such, very rarely do they act in a way heavilly different than while in limit break...the difference is that while broken they don't have the choice to fight their natural inclination, but simply go with it. But to most, it would simply look like they are extremely cocky... A few of the other limit breaks can have a similar look...where it's easilly mistaken for a facet of the character's normal personality. Other times, it can be an extreme difference...

Of course when someone uses Madness-Analyzing Stare on someone while they are limit broken, and then attempts Purity of Mid Method...and nothing happens, it can certainly act as a give away that something is dreadfully wrong. After all, you've found their madness, and roughly what it does...but you can't cure it. Yet...the effect is neither a Servitude effecct, nor a spell. Strange indeed...in one game I've got going, where people are seeking a cure for such, 'twas how people discovered that something was wrong. One of the PCs was dragged to an allied DB medic for help with psychological issues while in limit break. The medic was able to cure the character's derangement...but found that there was another issue occuring too...and that they could do nothing about it. It certainly didn't immediatelly lead to people realizing the existence of the Great Curse...but it did start people looking for what the cause was.

Well, you don't need to cure the Curse. The other option is to put the Alchemicals, DKs or even mortals in charge while leaving the human Exalts to wander around solving problems. It doesn't need knowledge of the Curse to realise "Whenever we're in charge, we screw it up!"

All the Exalts just take Eclipse Oaths that they'll never settle in as a ruler or advisor to a ruler in any particular place ("particular place" being defined as "200-mile radius area") or to any particular people for more than 50 years. That should be just enough time to settle in and get some stuff done without going batty on their subordinates.

Juk. I honestly can't see the more egotistical exalts agreeing to it.

"Uh huh... you want me to agree to do that, hell no. I'm a (whatever type exalt), and if you think you're going to have me forsake my (immaculate dragons/sun/lunar/whatever) right to protect and rule so and so, you're dreaming."

See, that's when you kill them. The Bronze Faction left out a step.

Or you could get your own social Exalts to convince them.

I think I can see a sizable amount of exalts banding together to FIGHT this group... think about it.

You're going around killing exalts... telling them what they HAVE to do if they don't want to die (at your hands). That you're going to use magic to coerce them.

I would join this 'resistance' group on principal alone.

So, the answer to everything is to hand Creation over to the Big A? That's pretty simplistic...and certainly not the only answer. Add in insisting that Exalts, who are designed to lead not do so...and you're almost certainly doomed to failure. Firstly, many of the threats to Creation are perfectly capable of taking down a leadership structure that does not include Exalts...with relative ease. Whether socially or through warfare, in Creation, a power structure is likely going to need Exalts within it...or else they're going to have them outside it...and that's going to quickly result in your utopia not existing anymore.

For another, why are the Autocthonians goign to just do what you say? They have their ownj culture and way of doing things...they aren't likely to just ignore that.

On the whole, this sounds like a pipe dream, and way to reliant on I got the Eye, or Autocthon likes me. Neither of these is a sure thing. If you want to run a chronicle of such, go ahead, and enjoy...but I certainly wouldn't. Neither do I think this is the best answer, nor do I think it is fully thought out. As well, Creation shouldn't have to rely on outside forces to solve all it's problems.

The point of the thread is to get your ideas, too, you know. So give some. I'm perfectly aware of my ideas' failings. I only gave them as potential methods.

Were news of the curse to reach the celestial bureaucracy, it seems likely that a lot of gods would actually be in favor of it as it is. The exalts, after all, were specifically created not to be beholden to the gods. (Otherwise, Primordials order the gods to order the exalts to stop fighting, end of war.) I'd think that spirits would welcome some kind of check on the exalts' power.

I'd think the spirits wouldn't be keen on the unbiddible magical supersoldiers having a "check" that causes them to start foaming at the mouth and laying about with the spirit-cutting Charms.

Jukashi said:
I'd think the spirits wouldn't be keen on the unbiddible magical supersoldiers having a "check" that causes them to start foaming at the mouth and laying about with the spirit-cutting Charms.
Agreed. Having something that is often more powerful than you or similarly so occasionally go a little crazy isn't really a protection.

Bah, you panzees and your 'Great Curse'.  Wanna know the best way to deal with the Great Curse for you Solars?  It's easy!  

1a) Let me introduce you to a very sexy lady up north.  She has a lovely red fortress, but odds are good you won't see it through the swarms of ghosts...  pay no attention to that.

2a)  I introduce you to her.  Provided of course she agrees to help you with your plight of ridding your curse, she'll take you to this wonderful room.  Pay no attention to the fear that grips you as we throw you in.  

3a)  Voila!  Several weeks, a few limit breaks, and an overall change to your shard later, and you too can find yourself free of the Great Curse.  Not only that, but you'll be guaranteed to never age, you'll look even more pristine and attractive as you get stronger (unless you'd rather be horrifying), and you'll be granted immortality unless something actually manages to kill you.

It's that easy!   :twisted:

Flyck said:
Bah, you panzees and your 'Great Curse'.  Wanna know the best way to deal with the Great Curse for you Solars?  It's easy!  
1a) Let me introduce you to a very sexy lady up north.  She has a lovely red fortress, but odds are good you won't see it through the swarms of ghosts...  pay no attention to that.

2a)  I introduce you to her.  Provided of course she agrees to help you with your plight of ridding your curse, she'll take you to this wonderful room.  Pay no attention to the fear that grips you as we throw you in.  

3a)  Voila!  Several weeks, a few limit breaks, and an overall change to your shard later, and you too can find yourself free of the Great Curse.  Not only that, but you'll be guaranteed to never age, you'll look even more pristine and attractive as you get stronger (unless you'd rather be horrifying), and you'll be granted immortality unless something actually manages to kill you.

It's that easy!   :twisted:
Pay not attechion to this heathen!!

the true way to save the world is simple, it is broken and only its makers can fix it...

see long ago some pesky gods got all uppidy and overthrew the REAL lords of creation, and their sitting around wanting to help the world, they really do want to, except those same pesky gods have them bound by their names... so all you need to do is go for a walk in the desert for a few days till that annoying yellow sun becomes this beatfule green sun and you can vist the real makers of all that is

wine, women, men, powerful artfacts, mighty magic, all can be yours to help save the world with, along with allies far more powerful then some modly old corpses with melogomaina, and best of all, we dont ask for anything in return, just help us try and save the world and make it like how it should be again, thats what you wanted anyways isnt it?

I think ledaal kajiri made a very excellent point. The limit breaks often do not differ a lot from the characters usual behaviour. Well some of them at least.

And despite it being off topic, I think the current limit break mechanics are a nice twist to the game, but they are a poor tool for depicting the great curse. I like the way it was done for sidereals, but they have no hard and fast rules just a very good explanation of why and how they screwed up and a very good chapter about depicting that curse. I wish we had something like that for the other exalt types but I have never found something that did convince me.

You silly monkeys and your over reliance on things bigger than you are.

We who dwell in the Wyld are bigger and greater than you can ever dream to be. Thus you should come to us. Return to the origin, become one with eternity. Put away the toys, the mortal form, the rude earth of Creation.

It is time for you to grow up, to become more than your slave-masters ever dreamt of. Let those slave-masters waste away with their paltry games of divinity.

Rejoin the wyld.

Seek Unity.

Having something that is often more powerful than you or similarly so occasionally go a little crazy isn't really a protection.
No. But it is is leverage on other powerful types, allowing you to manipulate them to keep each other in check.

Moving slightly closer to topic, an idea for getting solars to save the world: figure out a way to break the addiction of the gods to the Games of Divinity and start doing their damn jobs again.

*uses wyld shaping technique to turn the unshaped raksha into a reality engine under his control*

save creation? only the solars can do that, every other type will eventually lose to oblivion

or alternatively

Save the cheerleader, save creation

Haku said:
We who dwell in the Wyld are bigger and greater than you can ever dream to be. Thus you should come to us. Return to the origin, become one with eternity. Put away the toys, the mortal form, the rude earth of Creation.

It is time for you to grow up, to become more than your slave-masters ever dreamt of. Let those slave-masters waste away with their paltry games of divinity.

Rejoin the wyld.

Seek Unity.
Quiet you, before I activate 'Wyld Slaying Burst' and burn the life and color out the surroundings.

Haku said:

Rejoin the wyld.

Seek Unity.
Masters rippered creation from the wyld once, and they'll do it again!!!

dont make us stick you in some jade... we'll do it, we're crazy enough!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back