• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fomore From Foam

Johnny R McAvery

Magic still exist for those willing to see.
Yeah like from Sea Foam... See what I did there.

Anyways we are about to kick this RP off. AWESOME!

Took me long enough. So as you should know we will only be humans. But you can be a wizard or mortal magical tools, whatever.

The idea for this RP is the Fomore have been making moves in Georgia and our characters will be trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Also we will have sub plots so think of some villain to through into the mix.

https://www.rpnation.com/threads/fomore-from-foam.101045/

Irvin woke up to a loud boom. As he sat straight up the cat that had been lying on his stomach leaped from him and he grunted in pain, mostly due to the suddenness of the jump. He quickly looked around his bleak and dark room and made out nothing. Grabbing his staff that lay next to him he uttered a small spell and the runes carved on the staff began to glow a light sea green and light up the area. Steam. Steam was all around him and it took him a minute to figure out his hot water heater had failed. The boom hadn't been an explosion but rather the pressure valve realsing the over pressurized steam so it wouldn't explode.

After mumbling a few explicit curses, some new and some ancient , he cleaned the mess up. It may have been steam but eventually water condensed into something more liquid. It wasn't until the sun had risen into a nearly pure yellow ball did he finish. He stared at the clock on his watch, which showed 10. The water heater had gone out at 2 and he had only had 4 hours of sleep. "Fuck. One of those days. Dammit all." He had a meeting that he needed to make by 12 and the drive was an hour. As a shower, or even a sink wash was out the question he got dressed and started up the beat up pick-up truck. It grunted for a minute before making an easy sound on the ears and he began heading to the national park. The people he was needing to meet were going to help him solve an issue he had been dealing with for the last 2 years.

Caelli had risen early in the morning. She had been doing the same thing so long it was now an ingrained habit and she never had to set her clock to rouse her. The sounds outside were muted and the rest of the world was still sleeping as she was greeted by the pre-dawn darkness. She glanced up at the moon-lit clouds and shivered as she tightened her laces. It was a cold morning but that would soon change.

She was looking forward to having a run through the local park. The smell of the wet leaves and damp earth was relaxing and refreshing, the feeling of grass underfoot was a delightful contrast to the concrete jungle that surrounded the area. The change in scenery had actually made her run faster and further then before. Something about the place just gave her an extra jolt on energy.

She hooked up her earphones and thumbed the iPhone in its arm brace and within moments rock music shattered her silence. She took and deep breath and was off for her run.

Last edited by a moderator:
((Nice. I have a character sheet up if you want to do that. Might help you plan your character out some. You know small tweaking stuff. But I won't make you.))

After a few more grueling hours, he had made it to the park and was by this point in a bad mood. He tried shrugging it off but they fact he couldn't even enjoy a shower was getting to him. "Calm yourself. At least your frogs didn't die in the after math. That is something." He said to himself as he parked the car in one of the many empty spaces. It was still early and the park wouldn't fill up for another couple of hours. He figured he'd go and scope out the place and look for the people he had gotten in contact with. People as in the plural and people that would never show.

Irvin sat at a park table and was thumbing through some of the pamphlets he had gotten at the welcome center. Something to pass the time with. It was when he had finished reading all of them. which was a lot, that he had realized a couple of hours had past and none of his contacts had shown.

Caelli's gasped for breath as she fought the overwhelming desire to pull up short as lactic acid burned in her quads and her body insisted she needed to rest. She growled at herself and pushed. The next mile post was within sight.

No way in hell was she stopping now. No. Way.

With a final expenditure of energy she passed the lamppost and drew herself up to a brisk walk, her heart thundering in her chest. Caelli forced herself to continue pacing about as she glanced at her watch. Sub 5 minute sprint leg, the entire run was a hair over 30 minutes. She grinned. Her times were improving.

With her hands on her hips and trying to slow her breathing down to normal levels, she headed over to a water fountain. Her eyes flicked over to the guy sitting down on a bench seat with a bunch of papers on the table in front of him. She didn't pay him heed but she didn't turn her back on him either. He might be a regular Joe, a nutty creep or a serial killer. She wasn't going to risk getting caught flat-footed if she could help it

Irvin felt the prickle on his neck that someone and hopefully not a something, was watching him. He looked up and saw a woman staring at him. He gave her a feeble wave and decided it was best to ignore her. Instead he looked for a clock tower, which was close by and could barely make out the time. "Damn. Those idiots never showed. Couldn't even use a freaking phone to call them in, it'd just break." Realizing he was growing angry he began his breathing exercise and began to force himself to calm down.

The hairs on the back of her neck prickled as the strange guy waved at her. He looked a little ill-at-ease, almost like panther trapped in a cage. Nonchalantly she waved back at him and then began a slow run down the winding path that led away from him. Just running another lap.

Well, that was the image she was trying to project.

Once she was out of his line of sight however, she stopped running and started to double back using the vegetation around her as concealment. The guy had set of her supernatural radar. She didn't know why. Female intuition. Whatever it was, she trusted her gut, and her gut said something wasn't right with the picture she was seeing.

Silently, she crept back and settled into a small nook of tree roots and bushes where she could watch him without being observed. He was obviously waiting for something, but what was it?

Irvin collected his papers, stacked them tightly, stood up and tossed them. His party hadn't arrived, he might as well try to figure out why. If they had bailed then good riddance, but if something had happened to them, something bad then he should try to save them. It was the right thing to do. It did however bring up the original problem. He needed the back up. SO now he would have to start from ground one if they had been... Whatever happened to them. "Great. Just great. Can't even have something as simple as a met-up." As he walked his staff showed a faint light from its rune work, fueled by his own energy.

Caelli blinked when she saw the soft glow of his staff. So a sorcerer - but more likely a wizard. Sorcerer's didn't tend to carry the staff and rod. She rapped her fingers against the ground as she contemplated her next move. She didn't know all of the wizards in the area, so the fact he was a stranger and unknown to her wasn't unusual. Still, trust didn't come easy to her. Caelli didn't know if the man was friend or foe, or just had a really expensive Harry Potter wand.

There were too many questions and not enough answers. She had to change that. Dawn was breaking. The skies lightening to blue in the gradual progression of time. Caelli frowned as she watched the male disappearing down the path.

The shadows were lessening with the dawn but she had a good 30 minutes left of the shadows still. She started to follow the man to learn more about him.

Irvin walked in the golden hour and was still in the midst of breathing exercises. He took in a deep, long breath and exhaled. The more he relax the more his wizard sense opened. He was curious as to what was around him. Being the way he was he aimed his energy to other living things, wondering if any frogs were in the area. What? He liked frogs. He found a certain level on peace about them. It was about halfway into him opening his senses that he found out he was being followed. With a quick spin he faced the area where h knew the person to be, although couldn't see them. "RISE! I know you are here. Whoever you may be."

She swore then. Goddamned wizard Sight. Her mentor had kept warning her that you couldn't physically tail a wizard like a normal mundane, but Caelli was stubborn and wanted to find out for herself. She thought if she was subtle and the wizard had no suspicious he was being tailed she might have been able to remain undetected. Sadly, that apparently was not the case.

So - the jig was up. Caelli stepped out of the shadows with her hands open in an nonthreatening manner. "It isn't really subtle to go and declare yourself like that." With a nod of her head she gestured to the glowing staff he carried."

She was in a tactically poor position with no offensive weaponry. Not her brightest move.

"My name's Caelli. Whom do I have the honor of addressing?"

"I go by Irvin." He said not giving her his full name on purpose. He could feel the energy within her that was magic. "More importantly why are you following me of all people?" He had cut his sight off before he could see her with it and stared hard at her nose as to prevent the soul gaze from starting. He hated those, nothing was ever nice, or kind. "Are you in leagues with the fomore? I imagine if so you are trying to collect me like you need with my allies."

She couldn't help herself. She laughed. "You think I work for the Fomore?" She asked with a big grin. "I can assure you, Irvin, I am not an ancient Irish monster, nor the agent of one. I am here to discover their plans and report back to Warden Bannor."

"My name is Caelli. And please accept my apology. I followed you simply because I was curious. This is an odd time of the day to be out in the park and sitting in the darkness. Who were you waiting for?"

"I wouldn't call them friends. They were going to help me work on this.... This mess we are in. They had lost some poeple close to them and we all want this to stop. Those of us who know what is going on are frightened. Can't blame us."Said Irvin as he lowered his staff, letting the lights die down as he did so. He was hoping she was honest about it. "Where is your Warden's cloak?"

Caelli breathed an inward sigh of relief when he lowered his staff. He correctly did not see her to be a threat. She allowed her hands to fall to the side. "I don't have my cloak yet. This is my final assignment. Besides - it's not very inconspicious to run in a cloak these days. Too many cameras everywhere. Leads to a lot of questions. I am invisible simply because I am unremarkable. "

"Do you suspect your allies have met with foul play? Or have they simply forgotten to set their alarm?"

"I seriously doubt that 4 people all forgot to set their alarms. Besides none of them lived even close to each other." Irvin let out a long sigh and rubbed his head, stress getting to him. "So if I might ask what exactly is your last assignment before getting a cloak? Maybe we can scratch each others back. Besides I think I could trust a warden more on this matter."

Caelli folded her arms across her chest and shivered slightly. The sweat on her skin had dried and the cooling breeze which was lovely when she had been running, was now cold and a little too chilly to be called bracing. "You're cynical. Probably wise given the circumstances. My assignment's pretty simple, to learn more about the disappearances, if the Fomore are indeed involved, are they working on their own agenda or someone else's, and of course to find them. Then I am to report back to the wardens."

"We've been tracking the disappearances for several months now. Rumors are that the Fomore are building up for something but we know little else. So why are you investigating?"

"The neighborhood. Or I should say the US. I kept seeing these numbers rise and there is no pattern to them. It isn't right. Families should be with their families. Lord knows I would like something like that." Said Irvin as he let out a long sigh. "Hungry? I am. Thinking about hitting a waffle house or something. Want to come? We can discuss ideas at the very least."

"How about I meet you at the Waffle House on Browne and Rathborne in 30 minutes. I need to have a shower and get dressed in something a little warmer. Then we can sit down and discuss our respective investigations and see if we can assist each other. Sounds fair?"

"Got it. See you then. Be safe." Said Irvin using as few words as possible as he was still keeping a watch on everything. Without any other words he left.

(Shitty post I know))

"You too." She said and darted away, her legs striding out and eating up ground. She left the park, headed down several streets and across the freeway. This was the shortcut home. Within a few minutes she slowed to a walk as she entered the driveway of the house that was hers. It wasn't really much to look at, a vintage cottage designed to look like a miniture house in the Cape cod style. The grey weather boards needed a little work, but the a house was sturdy and it was hers. Definitively a rare commodity these days.

She let herself in and rolled her eyes at the dog. He was still lying on the ground in front of the smouldering fireplace. Winton barely acknowledged her presence. Doggie cold shoulder because she didn't take him on the run today. She gave him an absent minded pat as she stripped of her clothes on the way to the bathroom.

Within 7 minutes she was showered, dressed and trying to drag a brush through her long hair. It fell to the small of her back. Not for the first time she contemplated cutting it shorter but it would have to wait for another time. Once all of the snarls were out she deftly folded it into a braid and tied it off. Before she left, she shrugged on her grey military looking long coat and over her shoulder was a long, tubular cylinder. Inside it was her sword but the wards that were imbedded around the containers enabled it to be neatly camouflaged as art works, just in case the Po-Po ever wanted to search it. Couldn't be too careful these days. She also picked up her blasting rod and slipped it down a seam in her coat. Hard to see but easy to access.

Satisfied, she left the house and hurried towards the Waffle House. She might just make it.

Meanwhile, she pondered the latest turn of events. She still didn't trust Irvin but she had to give him the benefit of the doubt. He was a wizard. But wizards had gone bad before and the Laws were meaningless to them. It was possible that two independant investigations convered at the same point in time. Coincidences happened all of the time.

Caelli sighed. There was no clarity there. Just a lot of ifs and buts. It kept circling in her mind the rest of the way to the meeting point.

She shouldered open the door and located the mysterious wizard. She slipped into the chair opposite him. "So. What do you know?"

Irvin was in the middle of taking a long drink of this coffee, which he had cooled down with some cream and sugar. He finished the cup in the one swig he had taken from it, placed it on the table and nodded to the waitress he would need a refill in a minute.

"Well the fomore are this aquatic group of baddies taking people. That is about it. Trying to find them, so that if all I am able to do is learn more about them I will. I plan on doing more after I get more intel. In fact a person by the name Francis was to get me that intel. I actually don't know if Francis was a man or woman. Never got to see their face." He flipped the page he was on in his menu and read through it, trying to decide what he wanted to eat.

"The first question you have to ask yourself is what evidence tells us it is the Fomore. At the moment there is no hard evidence and no witnesses. We are just assuming. Even the Wardens don't know. Or if they did, they haven't told me why. And what could the Fomore gain by kidnapping humans? It's not like the Changling swaps of the 18th century." Caelli ran a hand over her still damp hair. "And that is what is confusing me - what is their motive? Without understanding that, it would be hard to predict their next move ."

"We need to go to your contacts addresses and search the area. If we are lucky, their kidnappers left a physical clue behind. We can use it to track them..." Caelli paused as an idea dawned on her. "We don't need to track the Fomore. We just need to track a victim. They will lead us directly to their captors!"

"That is true. Perhaps we can track them with a spell. Granted the Fomore or who ever took them hasn't done something to prevent that. My closest contact is in Atlanta." Said Irvin. The two of them had just left Stone Mountain park and Atlanta was less than an hour away. "Only problem is it is a big city and I hate it. But I can get over that problem. I have to right?"

"If you want to get to the bottom of this you will." Caelli's mind was buzzing. No need for coffee, there was nothing like the natural high of adrenaline. "I know a way to Atlanta but it's through the Nevernever. And it's dangerous but we could be there in 10 minutes."

Like most wizards, she didn't own a car and travel was always going to be an issue. Public transport was passable but all those stories about trains breaking down or bus engines dying in a cough of smoke? Wizards. They were Armageddon to modern technology.

Caelli's fingers drummed against her leg. "We would have to go through the vege patch. Well, I call it that. There's a path through a field of beanstalks. Straight out of Jack and the Beanstalk. But they are more like venus flytraps. They move. If they snare you...you're kind of screwed. Game?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back