• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Beowulf Academy (Monster Hunting High School)

alleycat

yum yum gooood stuff
4TM8Kwu.png

The first law of nature is this: all things are connected. The aura that holds your consciousness together, a concept you may call a soul, is intricately tied to the infinite number of channels your matter has flowed through before you came into being. Through pure chance, your aura has been granted a rare gift: the Aurasight, a heightened awareness of how to manifest and comprehend the flow of nature's energy. Since the dawn of humanity, humans like you have helped the species develop and thrive protect humanity and the spirit of the earth from creatures that would see its destruction - creatures that normally lie in anonymity, waiting to strike. But in a modern and unfriendly world, how can a new generation be
properly trained as Aurals? The answer lies here, on a remote campus at
the fringes of Prince Edward Island, Canada - Beowulf Academy, the
North American epicenter of Aural education.
Welcome home.

Hi! Welcome to Beowulf Academy's interest check, a roleplay about killing monsters in high school. Original, right? For this story, however, you are gifted with the power to conjure a Gaia, an animal created from the fabric of your soul, to fight alongside you in your quest to protect the natural world's careful balance. You and your companions will also be tasked with navigating a complex political world hidden from our own, where a global cabal of the most capable fighters, scientists, and adventurers never seem to be able to get along. If you like things like the Patronus system from Harry Potter, Persona, Jujustsu Kaisen, and other properties, this is right up your alley!

This RP will track the high school career of Beowulf's newest class, from their first day of freshman year, to graduation (and maybe beyond). While studying, you can expect classroom antics, combat adventures, and who knows what else! This is mainly a RP meant to have fun, explore interesting character development, and have exciting and entertaining encounters with spooky shadow dudes, so the most important thing is always to have fun!

7h5eXRP.png
Aurals, as those with the Aurasight are often referred to, have existed as a decentralized, yet related culture for several thousand years. Spanning across the globe, particularly active gatherings of Aurals constructed impressive supersettlements, built in harmony with the natural world around them. Mankind's reliance and general subservience to nature allowed the powers of the Aurals to flourish, enabling them to not only conjure and tend to their Gaia, but travel far beyond these limits into unknown territory. Though some sacred texts have been left behind, almost nothing from these onld legends remain.

As mankind industrialized, the innate connection and power of Aurals began to fade. The dawn of the Industrial Revolution left the Aural world scattered, out of contact with one another, and unable to reconcile with this changing world which now suffered at the hands of man. To counteract this, the last century has seen Aurals expand into a much more bureaucratic, modern society, still veiled from the world but possessing deep connections to areas of politics, business, and entertainment. It is not uncommon for Aural-aware families to be quite wealthy.

Some children born with Aurasight are not aware of these gifts, and are typically tracked and scouted through the perception of their powerful aura. They are then protected until old enough to attend an academy such as Beowulf, where they are brought into the fold. Others, however, come from a long line of Aurals, and were raised from birth with this expectation. Not all Aurals are expected to engage in regular combat, but the vast majority are trained for it in some capacity.
Gaia is the term used to describe the physical manifestation of an Aural's being. Since humans are connected to the natural world, specifically other life forms, innately, Gaia take the form of an animal that reflects the behavioral traits of their individual. These animals typically are still in existence, though rare cases of extinct Gaia mainifestations do occur.

Gaia manifest as a deep blue fluid, plasma-like entity, usually sprouting from or leaping out of their user. Though they exhibit physical properties indiative of something like a flame or ghost, Gaia are physically present in the world and can be interacted with through a sort of kinetic resistance that simulates physical form. Gaia are able to seperate from their user and fight alongside them because they are manifestations of the natural well of energy intrinsic to an Aural's being, as opposed to the Aura that is naturally cultivated through physical and mental growth. As a result, however, Gaia can sustain damage that is reflected onto the Aura of the user. Should a Gaia sustain enough damage to lose its ability to hold its form, its Aural is likely on the brink of death.

In terms of personality, most Aurals report a sense of comradery with their Gaia. This is dependent on the personality and type of animal the Gaia manifests as, and is not always the case. Careful training and spiritual insight will allow the Gaia's semiautonomous consciousness and that of the weilder to work more effectively through instinctual communication and understanding. Untrained Aurals, on the other hand, usually have a hard time distinguishing their Gaia from a peculiar pet that can disappear and reappear when they will it to....hopefully.
While all energy of the earth shares in its effective strength, there exists an exception in the form of Husks. Though they come in many forms, shapes, and sizes, husks are most effectively understood as "things yet to be", or "things that once were, but are no longer". They are the manifested energy of life gone mad, unable to comprehend the void that lies beyond living. As a result, their intellect is understood to be minimal, though their destructive power is a serious matter. Husks are not undead; rather, they are the byproduct of extreme amounts of decay and destruction seperated from the natural world's order. While humans are not the only force to engage with this process, their unfettered environmental degradation has begun to stir whatever primordial forces produce the Husks in the first place.

t7Kadl8.png

• This would be an intermediate RP, with expectations that posts are made semi-regularly and attentively (at least a paragraph).
  • There's no set limit on how many folks would be admitted, though it may change how plot intensitve we can get.
  • A pivot to discord can be considered based on interest, but for now we'll stick with RPNation. As such, all standard rules apply (and would continue to do so elsewhere).
  • General RP courtesy rules (No OP characters, Godmodding, metagaming, etc).

Do the Gaia HAVE to be ghostly blue? That will make them very samey.

Do the Gaia HAVE to be ghostly blue? That will make them very samey.
I suppose not! Could be fun to have them switch color based on the user, but they're not constantly around so their aesthetic isn't particularly monitored.

I'll go ahead and make an OOC/Characters page! Once we get around 5 characters or so it should be enough to get started.

Hm, how likely is one to have a extinct creature as their Gaia?
Depends on the scale and power of the creature. What did you have in mind?
I'll go ahead and say as a rule that any gargantuan creature (such as a Megalodon) is off the table for obvious reasons.

Depends on the scale and power of the creature. What did you have in mind?
I'll go ahead and say as a rule that any gargantuan creature (such as a Megalodon) is off the table for obvious reasons.

Hm...I was thinking of a sort of...brawny bully bastard type character just to inject some conflict, up close physical combat being a speciality so maybe...a dire bear? Perhaps a Elasmotheruim (Whooly Rhino) idk, something big and kinda mean.

Hm...I was thinking of a sort of...brawny bully bastard type character just to inject some conflict, up close physical combat being a speciality so maybe...a dire bear? Perhaps a Elasmotheruim (Whooly Rhino) idk, something big and kinda mean.
Either of those sound great! There will definitely be conflict that brings out main cast together, but those or especially their modern equivalents would be more than suitable.

Either of those sound great! There will definitely be conflict that brings out main cast together, but those or especially their modern equivalents would be more than suitable.

Fair, whats your upper size limit? Length and Weight wise, like when do things get to be "Gargantuan"?

Fair, whats your upper size limit? Length and Weight wise, like when do things get to be "Gargantuan"?
I'd put the size cap at around that of a large prehistoric polar bear (ursus maritimus tyrannus), which obviously impacts speed and agility. Creatures larger than this are permissible, but for the time being must be scaled down to that size or lower.

Sure! Just might be smaller than a bulky strength-based character might account for (I'm thinking of the scientifically accurate raptors, which were only about a foot tall)

Honestly Im feeling, either big dire bear or rhino, those are the most physically imposing carnivores and herbivores I can name tbh. Though just for that bully vibe, think my final choice is a rhino. Their physically insane, short sighted and tempered, kinda jerks to everything around them and....I could see more interesting combat with them.

Perfect for the steryotype of the big jock bully guy

Honestly Im feeling, either big dire bear or rhino, those are the most physically imposing carnivores and herbivores I can name tbh. Though just for that bully vibe, think my final choice is a rhino. Their physically insane, short sighted and tempered, kinda jerks to everything around them and....I could see more interesting combat with them.

Perfect for the steryotype of the big jock bully guy
Your ideas sound so fun! Big bullies are great I love that you're making one!! Can't wait to meet em :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back