Anime & Manga what made YOU start watching anime?

bettsyboy

Four Thousand Club
the question that i would like to know the answer to

i personally found anime when channelsurfing late at night, and i came across "ghost in the shell" and i began watching more and more aime after that

that is how my anime journey began

how about you?

Yep.. I pretty have the same story as you Bettsy except I came across Inuyasha and Case Closed =p

I watched Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within when it first came out but I didn't recognize that it was classified as anime. A few years later I watched an episode of Inuyasha where Sesshoumaru flips his hair over his shoulder and I was sold. Then I got into Fullmetal Alchemist. And just to let you all know how much of a brat I was, I literally sat in a corner in a dank basement, REFUSING to watch an episode of Naruto that my friend wanted to show me because I wanted to watch my damn FMA. Then two days later I saw a Naruto AMV and was sold.

After a series of terrible dubs I swore off all anime, and hold to that today ~^~

*Anxiously waits for GgEnvy's reason*

I got into anime after watching a "cartoon" my friend lent me called "Outlaw Star". Shortly after that series ended I was intrigued by this whole new style of "cartoons" that I can honestly say brought all of us together today.

I remember after seeing outlaw star, my first real pay check I ran to blockbuster (A video & game rental store for those outside the US) & rented the entire berserker series ($5 a dvd at the time........). Boy was I excited! At that time I haven't perfect downloading DVD's on my 56k free 6month AOL trial so I made due with what I had.

I have since advanced in anime & of course technology =P

My friend had all the episodes to Naruto about 5 episodes before shippuden started. We sat watched 3 solid days of naruto. and i was hooked. Funny thing is. I remember my friend a year before that, trying to get me to watch this show called "Bleach" and i remember commenting something like "What the hell is that about? A bottle of bleach. Fuuuh..." Now i consider it one of my favorites.

not as epic as other people, but im not a hard core anime person. I only like certain ones. My genre liking is very narrow.

I was five when I started watching Sailor Moon! 8DD

Ha!

My addiction to anime started when I was around 11, I watched Ghost in the Shell because I was looking for something scary to watch.

Yeah, that didn't really work. I still don't like it to this day, even though I never gave it another chance.

SO I basically flipped between two channels til I caught a preview of what was coming up later.

Inuyasha~

And I watched it, ironically starting on the first episode Kagura appeared in~

And I liked it.

Okay okay okay.

I started about 3 or so years ago, Back when me and Ace were running GgForums, Long before we had a paid host and were using free forum boards.

Ace recommended anime to me and I simply replied "What, that jap rubbish? It looks crappy" But little did I know then that pokemon, yugioh and all that sort were all anime. Months after him bugging me I ventured onto the old anime channel on TV where i saw a random episode of Full Metal Alchemist, Dubbed.

I then later got back to Ace and I was like "This is weird, The kid's fist turns to stone and such" Little did i understand the concept of the anime etc.

A month or so after that I saw the very first episode of bleach and it semi-converted me. I watched as much episodes of bleach I could in Dub but of course they are really far behind the Subbed episodes. Once I switched to subbed I followed Ace's recommendations, Starting with Full Metal alchemist.

I've been glued to anime since, All thanks to AcE and half to my curiosity. I was a tough one to convert to naruto however, I refused to watch it for ages because I just though the idea of kids being ninjas was childish. But I'm loving the series now and it has to be the best change I made ! :D

I want to add to this, it seems fun 8)

From what it seems on the above posters, I got alot of you beat on time.

I watched~~~~The Very First Episode of Pokemon. With my brothers on UPN 13, one morning before I had to go to Elementary School.

So I guess that was like 10 years ago or something.

This was followed for me, like many other Anime lovers by Dragon Dall Z(I always wondered why they didn't release Dragon Ball first?)

Then I watched Shaman King, which possesed me to get to Borders where I heasitantly bought my first Manga. Which then led me to Shonen Jump,

And the rest is History~

Oh Yeh, As to Naruto(It was A Caviar Case,I'm usually right about quality), I'm now ashamed to say like others I wouldn't read/ watch it either, Till a friend gave me a copy of SJ.

Well I'm not exactly sure when it started but I have a long history of watching Anime and reading Manga even before I knew what the 2 were...

My guess is that it started with Sailor Moon, I think around 4 or 5. Either way continuing on the list, later I read a comic book (First ever) that went backwards at my cousins place when I was around 6 and I loved all the shooting even though I never cared for reading (even until much more recently) I never really knew what it was called... I forget when but this was definitely the next thing, Princess Mononoke, GAHH I had nightmares from that, but I LOVED IT >w<

From there I had been watching Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon and I forget all those others

I started watching all sorts of anime without realizing it until I was about 10 when I was bored online one day and searched up great cartoons and got "anime" I thought meh, worth a try, I found a huge list that included everything I had watched and hundreds more, seconds later... "Oh, Japanese, oops" and from then on just sorta watched some anime here and there read manga here and there but always stuck with the video game as my prime entertainment ^^

I watched anime, for the first time, in Peru when I was a kid. Really enjoying shows like DBZ & Saint Seiya ( the classic, not the new ones ) but when I got back to Belgium I had forgotten all 'bout it tbh. After several years I got interested in anime again when a taiwanese mate introduced me to Initial D and some other animes, he downloaded them and branded them on cd's which I then watched at home. xD

Haven't stopped watching anime since, except for the occasional months-long breaks.

I'm pretty sure there was something like this before, but it's kinda fun remembering all the details~

When I was very little, my brother introduced me to Pokémon, which I loved and watched a lot, and we used to play the card game together. Then when I was a bit older, he introduced me to Yu-Gi-Oh by showing me how to play the card game for that, and then I started watching the anime. Of course, I had no idea what anime was back then.

Then one day, while I was at the supermarket with my mum, I found the Yu-Gi-Oh manga. I thought it was just a regular comic (I'd been reading Beano, Dandy and crud like that up to then), so I begged my mum to buy it for me. Then when I got home, I looked through it, got totally confused and dumped it on the table for a few hours. When I picked it up again, I found the part at the back telling me which way to read it. I fell in love with it, bought the next volume every time we went shopping until eventually the shop stopped selling it, which made me sad. :(

Somewhere around that point, I found Shaman King on TV when I was flicking through the Kids channels on Sky. I liked it, so I started watching it. Then a while after that, I found Naruto in the same way. I didn't like the look of it first, because of all the weird outfits, so I changed channel straight away. After that, I kept coming across it, and eventually started liking it. I watched it a lot, then found it on youtube and started watching it on there too.

While watching it, I came across the words "anime" and "manga" a lot, and I wondered what it was. I asked my brother about it, but he didn't have a clue, and by that point, he'd long since grown out of Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh. So I looked it up online, and found out about the different series, and the fact that they were Japanese.

Sometime after, I went to Waterstones (book shop) with my family, and found the Yu-Gi-Oh manga by coincidence, and all the other series with it. Out of curiosity, I bought some of the other series (.hack//legend of the twilight, D.N.Angel, Pita-Ten, and some others, I don't remember which). I became really obsessed and started buying more every time we went, and started bugging my mum to take me more and more often. I started buying it online too.

I don't really remember when, but somewhere along the way, I started watching Naruto in sub online when I ran out of dub, and then I started to buy the DVDs, which in turn, caused me to discover the other anime. I bought a few of those (Love Hina, Azumanga Daioh, and some others I don't remember either). I started finding more series online and watching them there, and, not being able to find dub of most of them, watched them in sub.

I was more into manga than anime, mostly, so I didn't watch a whole lot of it. But I started to watch more and more, and bought quite a few (though not as much as I bought manga). At this point I'm getting more obsessed with anime as days go by.

Thing is, I'm not entirely certain about the order of this. xD I remember all of it happening, but not entirely when.

Sometimes I wonder what my life'd be like if I'd never discovered manga or anime. ._. If I hadn't started spending every day either reading it, watching it or thinking about it. Maybe I would've been a more social person? I don't regret it though... I think I may actually have been a meaner person that way... is it sad for a person to get their morals from anime and manga? xD

I'm currently in the process of pushing my 4-year-old brother into it :D I got him to play my Naruto and One Piece Wii games, then purposely watched my Naruto and Bleach DVDs while he was in the room, and he's starting to really like it~ Especially Renji... he's started waving his toy sword around and calling himself "the guy with red hair". And when he's playing with his friends, he says "My sword gets long and when it gets you on the shoulder, there's blood". I think I'm twisting him a bit, but it's kinda fun to play those kind of games with him. 8D Though I don't think my dad appreciates it. :P But someday, that little boy will have his own story to tell, I'm sure of it! *stares into the distance*

And this is really long, isn't it. ._.

Hmm, well, it all started with me watching the first episodes of Pokemon and Digimon...after that, I started to spread out and watch some DBZ, Tenchi Muyo, MAR Heaven, and a few other animes hosted by Toonami (man, I miss it T.T) I even decided to go outside my comfort zone and watched Ghost in the Shell and S-Cry-ed from Adult Swim. Well, several animes later, I've completely learned to explore new anime genres and to give some animes that I would have never considered in my earlier years a try. Now I'm actually enjoying animes such as Gunslinger Girl, Hellsing, and To Aru Majutsu No Index.

Where was I when all the anime was on tv? -3- All I got was Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Shaman King and Naruto and yet there was Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece and all this other stuff.

And I only found the real anime channels like Anime Central a few weeks before it got taken off... and why didn't the UK get Adult Swim? >I

FML

It kinda just happened when I was younger like 10-11. I was really bored and it was summer so I was up late and behold I found a late night anime channel (might have been adult swim, i dont really know). Well, the show that was on was playing that was basically like a better looking cartoon, or what we call anime. I can't remember what the show was but I remember it had this kid everyone was afraid off who would come killing people with a bent baseball bat and there was a group of three people trying to kill themselves though out the whole episode I first watched. Needles to say, I'm a pretty strange child and took a liking to the show and from there just kinda branched off into what I watch now.

My first anime was actually pokemon. I actually watched the release in 1997 and was hooked. Me, Ed, and the step sister literally never missed an episode, but didn't watch much after the second region.

I used to go to a daycare liked thing during the summer when I was little, typically because I was a trouble maker and couldn't be trusted to stay home with grandma and the other siblings lol. There was a kid there who mentioned Dragonball Z to me. I had previously seen a commercial for it but wasn't interested. The kid suggested I watched it, so I did and became hooked.

When I got into that, my grandma actually bought me the dragon ball series on VHS (probably thinking it was DBZ lol..) so I was into that too. As a result I STILL have all those dragon ball VHS episodes AND a full season of Pokemon lol.

I stuck to those mainly, but of course caught yu-yu-hakasho and inyuasha late on tv. I wasn't big on those but I watched them whenever I had the chance.

I didn't get into Naruto until 8th grade when my buddy Jim suggested I watch it. It took a while cause I actually HATED it at first. He made me watch a few amv's though, my first was gaara v.s rock lee and I was hooked.

Since then there have been many others suggested by the members and whatnot.

Mines simple, DBZ...

Me and my bro used to watch DBZ dubbed on a TV channel, infact it was always on at 5pm which was always the same time we had dinner so we had to use a VCR to record the show and watch it back in rubbish video tape quality haha. Then came such things like pokemon and yu-gi-oh that were 'crazes' at our schools, so that got me into them. But then came the internet which i decided to catch up on DBZ that i missed over the years as it stopped running on TV.

I then googled 'Shows like DBZ' and found out it was called 'anime' which i always joked with mates thinking it was actualy Hentai. But found top anime like naruto n bleach so watched them and its gone from thereeeeee

Started with DBZ, and the rest of Toonami. Then moved on to Adult Swim. The shows that hooked me were Rurouni Kension, Digimon, Pokemon, Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakisho, Gundum Wing, and Im sure that I've missed some too. I watch alot >.> Wow it's been almost 13 years sence I started O.o

I remember being fourteen and being consumed by Sailor Moon. Then it dawned on me that I had always liked anime my favorite movies were My Neighbor Totoro and Kik's Delivery Service before Sailor Moon even consumed me. Now I think my favorites fall along the shoujo genre.

Dizzeh and Pocky got me into Soul Eater.

My sister got me into anime/manga in general.

I love Studio Ghibli so love!

I am almost positive I was born in Japan in my last life. I have always been intrigued by the culture. Upon enrolling in Japanese classes in the 9th grade, I was introduced to Princess Mononoke. After that....... that rest is history.

It was a culture shock to see such a difference in the american cartoons & the japanese anime. I love the quality in anime & watch any that I possibly can at my "old age" =P

I started to watch Toonami as a kid and that was my first exposure to it. As I got older I started to expand my anime experience and also found manga. It's an awesome medium and I enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back