• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Sunnybrooke

amdreams

Black Market Witch
Sunnybrooke Map Edit 2017.png

A brief summary of what's happened so far, organized by in world day.
Spring 1, Year 1

The annual New Year Festival is in swing. And everyone in Sunnybrooke is gathered in the square to celebrate. Write your wishes to hang on the old tree. Wish your neighbors a bountiful year. Get buckets of water in case the bonfire spreads too far.

~~~~~​

Spring 1
Time: Morning
Weather: Sunny

Frost, Eis - wish writing station
Snow - drink stand

People should be at the Town Square to celebrate the New Year Festival.

The New Year Festival. The first of the year. The day to thank Gaia for the last year and wish for the same this year. The town square was decorated with strings of lights, flowers and streamers. No doubt the hard work of the villagers who stayed up the night before. In front of the mayor's house stands a large pile of logs, sticks and kindling, to be lit at sunset. And around the square are various stands. Some offering refreshments. Others supplying paper, ribbons and various crafts for everyone to write their wishes to hang from the great tree standing strong in the center of town.

The townspeople arrive, dressed nicely in their new clothes, greeting others and wishing them a happy new year. And the Innig siblings were no different. Eis arrived first, running ahead of his siblings and right to one of the wish writing stations. He was then followed by Snow and finally Frost, both trailing behind him at a leisurely stance. They said the usual "good mornings" and "happy new year" to those they passed. Well, mostly Snow, but Frost managed to mutter a few greetings here and there.

From there though, Frost left to follow Eis to keep an eye on the young boy. By the time he'd gotten there, Eis had already scribbled out two wishes, discarding the paper to the side to throw away later. He seemed stuck on what he should write down.

Meanwhile, Snow made her way to a nearby refreshment booth to get some lemonade and water for her and her brothers. She dropped a few coins into the vendor's hand, but stayed behind to talk to him a bit.

MouseDuke MouseDuke SheepKing SheepKing Honeyed Tea Honeyed Tea

Max is interacting with Snow amdreams amdreams
Cyrille open for interaction

• Cyrille has always been a fan of the New Year Festival. She was dressed in a new pair of jeans and a nice, rather thick, cotton long sleeve she'd bought for the festival. Leaning against a booth with Onyx sitting at her feet, Cyrille was in the perfect spot to be seen by just about anyone who was looking for her. The young Eis zipped right past her, making his way to the wishing stations. The Innig twins soon followed, who greeted her as they passed. She waved at the two and smiled, while Onyx raised her head in loose interest. She was getting quite old and therefore wasn't quite as playful as she was when she'd first arrived at Sunnybrooke with Cyrille.

Now that the majority of the people were here, Cyrille went behind her booth and pulled out a crate from inside of it. She began pulling out wrapped loaves of homemade bread and stacked them on one side of the booth, leaving the other half of the counter space open to lean on, and for people to come up and buy bread and/or chat with her.

Locations:
Town Square:
Frost, Eis - wish-writing station
Snow, Max - drink stand

“And the mama had shown the little guy how to jump down, but when he tried, my son came out and the sound of the door spooked him. I was starting to think he was gonna stay up there his entire life.”

Snow was in the middle of an epic tale of how the man’s kitten had gotten stuck on his roof, when a familiar voice called out to her. She smiled, waving to the librarian.

“Oh, Max. Happy new year.”

She chuckled a bit, seeing his clothing choice. It wasn’t that cold out, she thought. Then again, much like their name sakes, the Innigs were always more resistant to the cold. Summer was awful for them though.

“Have you got your wishes ready? The good spots on the Elder Tree will be gone before you know it, you know?”

Max smiled, nodded, and stepped up next to Snow.

"Just came from the station. I saw Frost and Eis down there."

He asked for a water from the drink vendor and handed him a few coins in exchange for it. After adjusting his shirt slightly and shivering, he took a sip of the water.

"I don't believe I've seen you at the wishing stations, though. And.. I still don't know how you manage to dress so lightly this time of year."

Piper Bryce

Piper would have loved to be participating in all the early festivities but right now the inn is completely swamped with guests who are doing the exact same thing. She has her short hair tied up and out of her face so she doesn't choke on the locks running up and down stairs. It seems like the rush goes on for hours (although it really is only about one), and by the time the lobby is finally clear there are chairs all out of place and treat baskets she had put together as 'welcome packages' have been reduced to crumbs in the bottom of their baskets.

A bit of straightening up and cleaning later she finally steps into the morning air, breathing it all in. There's a different ambiance in this place and it just brings her back to her childhood days. Piper changes into her street clothes and smiles, wandering down to the center of all the activity.

She picks up a treat from one of the stands and starts searching for a familiar face among the small groups of conversing people.

Last edited:
Beowulf "Liam" Croswick

'Wait... what the hell is going on here?' Liam thought as he looked at the center of town and how it was all nicely decorated. He stood there for a second to examine how nicely everyone was dressed, meanwhile all he had on was a worn out hoodie with the hood pulled slightly over, his silver mess of a bedhead was spilling out, comfy sweatpants, and some old sneakers. Along with the dark sleep deprived bags under his eyes and the folded up telescope tucked under his arm it was clear that Liam had spent another all nighter gazing at starts, er he drifted off to sleep during the middle of it, but he still got some observations written down.

With a sigh Liam started to make his way through the crowd, awkwardly saying happy new year to those who said it to him first. Yeah that was it, todays the big New Years party thing. Liam wasn't very surprised that he forgot about this whole thing, most of the time he's in his observatory studying or outside at night watching the stars. Liam was starting to feel stressed about the crowds, and how he wasn't nicely dressed, and how he couldn't say a single sentence right.

Piper Bryce

There were so many people wandering around laughing and talking and eating - and to think the day has hardly started! As a teacher and busy helper at the inn she definitely lacked in local interactions other than with children or her grandparents. After all, not many locals would make the trek other than for special events they might host there - which have been none since she'd arrived. Anyway, the children definitely know her. As a young teacher she definitely has the advantage of having that connection, being 'fun'. A little girl hugs her arm and whispers, "Did you bake anything?" She whispers, eyes flitting excitedly between Piper's face and the purse hanging from her hip. "Ohh, you know I did." She whispers back and takes out some little gift bags of cookies that were set aside from those she made for the guests.

Once the children are fed and running off all giggly and having fun Piper stands back up and lets out a breath. She definitely missed out on the tight-knit friendships of a small town... Looking around there are hardly any people who she's had a long conversation with, maybe the librarian but she hasn't... quite remembered his name yet. And of course the relatives of any children she teaches are familiar. Feeling slightly frustrated but still elevated by the atmosphere, Piper notices somebody who manages to look just a tad more out of place than her. "Hey there." She wanders over, tapping him on the shoulder. "Having... fun?" She tips her head, hoping she's not talking to him too childishly. After all, that's her usual main audience.

MouseDuke MouseDuke

Time: morning
Weather: sunny

Locations:
Town Square:
Max, Snow – drink stand
Cyrille, Frost, Eis – bread stand
Piper, Liam – talking together

• Snow pulled out a piece of paper from the pocket in her dress. White and folded in half to prevent others from reading, with a pale blue ribbon tied with a small bow for hanging from the tree.

“Frost and I got these done last night. It doesn’t really take too much work to write on a scrap of paper. Eis is still at the age where he can’t make up his mind though, so we figured it’d be a bit more . . . cost effective if he were to use up someone else’s paper.”

She pointed over to her brothers a bit down the square. Eis seems to have finished, holding up his wish tied with a bright green ribbon. Beside him, a rather large pile of discarded papers.

“So what does the new year have in store for the library? Getting anything interesting coming in? Eis is always looking for something.”

November

Everybody was so excited she felt like the whole world was goin' crazy! All of her friends were gathered in the schoolyard early that morning, showing off their festival clothing and talking about what wishes they'd like to make. Novi came speeding in like a fireball, pouncing on her friend's shoulder and purring happily. "Who's ready to get into it?" She giggles before being interrupted by another friend who's complimenting her new dress. "Aw, this?" She spins around, white ruffles fluttering. "I like it a lot, but it's white so my Mama's gon'na know how messy I get so easy." After a bit more of chatter the squadron of kids march off into the town center to make a good ol' ruckus.

Along the way they run into their teacher, Piper, and all but tackle her to the ground. Like hounds to a good steak Novi is sniffing out the baked goods that she so often rewards them with, knowing there has to be something good in that purse of hers. "Did you bake anything?" She whispers, eyes flitting excitedly between Piper's face and the purse hanging from her hip. "Ohh, you know I did." All the children lighten up and crowd around, reaching out their palms to take a pack of cookies.

Once they're all good and fed the children start splitting up and Novi is left running around on her own, but not for long. With one cookie stuffed into her mouth and another in her hand she spots Eis in the distance and skips on over. "Eis, twice, mice, spice...." She hesitates a moment, thinking of another word, "rice!" She giggles, squatting down next to him. "What're ya' up to?" Novi munches, eyes scanning over the pile of papers. Her fawn eyes are bright and excited.

amdreams amdreams

Time: Noon

Weather: Eclipse

Locations:

Town Square

Max, Snow – drink stand

Cryille, Frost, Eis, Novi – bread stand

Piper, Liam – talking together

Please react to the eclipse. This will be the first time anyone has seen one, though adults may have read about them at one point. And I’m gonna pretend it’s okay for them to look at directly.

Eis pouted. He didn’t really like it when people made fun of his name. It was a theme thing with his family it seemed. So he liked it. It was a good name. Not that he could really blame Novi. He never actually told her to stop. He didn’t want to hurt her feelings or anything. What if she cried? Then he’d probably get in trouble!

She eyed his rejects, now in the trash, probably asking about them.

“I was writing my wish for the tree. Did you write one yet? My sister says it’s important to get it done early or you lose all the good hanging spo-”

As he spoke, the sky slowly got dark. A shadow cast itself over the square and even the entire town. Eis looked up and nearly dropped to the ground at what he saw.

A dark circle was shifting itself over the sun, turning the sky black except for a thin circle of light around it.

“W-what?”

Eis had no idea what was going on. Something had eaten the sun! Was it going to eat them too? His knees began to buckle as he grabbed Novi’s hand to bring her closer. It could be dangerous. He stepped back toward Frost, clinging to the man’s shirt. Frost placed a reassuring hand on the boy’s head.

“It’s going to be alright,”
he said, though he himself didn’t seem to know exactly what was going on either.

Honeyed Tea Honeyed Tea MouseDuke MouseDuke queanbean queanbean

• Cyrille was near the point of daydreaming when she heard someone, and she snapped back to reality. Eis and Frost were standing there, with Eis pushing a few coins onto the table.

"Ah... Of course-"

Another child, a young girl named Novi had come up and started speaking quickly to Eis. From the high pitch of her voice to how quickly she talked, it was sometimes a trouble making out what she said. Nonetheless, she pulled a loaf from the pile and set it on the counter, just as it seemed to become nighttime... But it's only just getting to noon, surely! Cyrille looked up at the sun, or what she could see of it, and couldn't believe her eyes- the sun was black... but still somewhat bright?

November

"Oh, that's cool. No I didn't do one ye-" The little girl's playful musing was interrupted by a quiet gasp as she watched a big shadow crawl along the ground like a big, dark monster. "What's that?" She yelps, jumping up next to Eis as he pulls her along, both children huddling behind the older man for protection. "What's happening to the sun? The sky's goin' all dark..." She whispers, pulling on both Eis and Frost gently. Her bubbly nature has melted away and is instead replaced with nervous jitters.

amdreams amdreams

Time: afternoon

Locations:
Town Square

Those some may still be wary of the eclipse, most people would probably view it as some sort of rare but ultimately harmless occurence. Go about your day.

Though the towns people had no idea what was going on, the older residents couldn't detect any immediate threat at least. There was no tremors, no noise at all actually. And whatever was now blocking the sun didn't seem to be moving any closer to them. But still, this was something no one had seen before. And if they had read about it or knew what it was, no one seemed to say anything.

With two children clinging too close for his comfort, Frost still managed to place them behind him. Though he wasn't sure what good it would do to if the danger was coming from above. He thought about telling them to take shelter inside, but Snow's voice echoing through the square shook him out of it.

"OH!! WOW!!!"

Snow stared wide eyed at the spectacle, even going so far as to climb on one of the stands, fortunately not one that sold food or drink, to get a better look.

"It's so cool! Look, guys. It's like a halo!"

What an amazing way to start the year! Snow had no idea what was going on but it seemed really cool. A once in a lifetime sort of event, and it was happening right in Sunnybrooke.

Maybe it was Snow's excitement infecting some of the others or the fact that, albeit slowly, whatever was blocking the sun was already moving out of the way. Within 2 hours, the sky had been back to normal, and the dark circle was gone.

Some of the residents were able to relax a bit more when it ended. Though no one really forgot about it. Eis himself still seemed a bit scared, refusing to leave his brother's side for some time now. Even while still talking to Novi.

"Y-you should probably get your wish done, Novi?" he asked, trying desperately not to think of what had just happened. Snow said it wasn't bad, but he wasn't too sure. "We can get my sister to hang them on the tree for us." Novi may be good at climbing and all, but Eis still didn't think it was a good idea for kids to climb the Elder Tree. It was a really big one.

Beowulf "Liam" Croswick

'Just stay calm' Liam thought as he pushed his way through the crowd. He got friendly a questionable stares from the other villagers. Ignoring their glances Liam held his telescope tightly and pushed through. He was almost through but he felt a light tap on his shoulder which made the young man jump. He quickly turned around to look at the girl who tapped his shoulder, she asked him if he was having fun. "Uh... yeah.... the new years party" He replied awkwardly, but before he could do anything else the sky began to darken. His green eyes immediately shot up to the sky, most importantly the sun. 'an eclipse?' he thought with a extremely surprised look on his face. Once it was over Liam felt more of an urge to get home, "of all times an eclipse happens," He says happily, completely forgetting the girl standing right in front of him. A wide grin spreads across his face as he recalls the eclipse from his memories.
queanbean queanbean

Piper Bryce
She thought that perhaps she was losing her sight as well as suddenly everything around her began to dim. However, as she followed the eyes of people around her she noticed how the sun was beginning to disappear behind a dark mass. The girl's jaw dropped open and a moment her heart leaped in her chest - it wasn't particularly frightening but just... completely awe inspiring. She tips up her chin, watching practically without blinking until she hears the man next to her speak. "A.. what?" She looks over at him, head tilting to the side. "Is this an eclipse?" Piper had heard the word before but only once or twice in school. The only story she'd heard was from her grandparents who told her a fairy-tale legend about the strange darkness but now she was really seeing it with her own eyes.

MouseDuke MouseDuke

November

Novi's eyes are wide, glued to the eclipse in both awe and fear. The whole time she's squeezing Eis' hand tight and Frost's shirt even tighter. Finally the sky spits out the sun again and the little girl remembers to breath. She hesitates a moment, hearing her companion's voice only in the side of her mind. "Y...eah." She stammers, eyes still wide and sparkling.

After a few moments she shakes her head and rubs her eyes, trying to clear out the image. "Yeah," she says again, turning to Eis, "Will you help me write one?" Novi shows him a smile as they're both obviously shaken, but she tries to lighten up the atmosphere, both for her own good and his. Grabbing onto his hand again she pulls him over toward the tables where they're giving out paper slips.

"What did you wish for?" She wonders, idly doodling flowers while she thinks about what to write. There are so many things that she wishes with all her heart would happen it's so hard to pick just one.

amdreams amdreams

Locations:

Town Square
Eis, Novi - wish writing stand

Note: I am so sorry for being so slow. My mom is having me take over her shifts at her store so it's been pretty busy, especially when my sister ditches me to go shopping. I'm so tired.

"Eeeh? Novi, you can't tell people your wish or it won't come true!" Eis clutched his wish to his chest, not risking it falling open or getting taken from him. He had no idea why Novi was trying to sabotage his wish, but it did manage to distract him from the eclipse. Or rather the impending danger of it. The boy did plan to talk to Liam about it later on. The man was always studying the sky so he had to know something, right?

Before he knew it, Novi had dragged Eis over to the wish writing stand, though he wasn't sure why. Did she really need help to write down a wish? She was eight now. She should know how to write, right? "Eh? What do you need help with exactly? Don't you know how to write, Novi? What am I supposed to do?"

queanbean queanbean

• Although nothing came of the sudden darkness that has since passed, Cyrille was still completely confused on what had happened. She planned on asking Beowulf about it, or maybe Max even. One of them should surely know what just happened. By the time she remembered there were people about to buy something, they had left towards the wishing station, and left the coins behind as well.

"I'll just save a piece for him when I see him next then." She said half to herself before going back to leaning against the booth.

November

She hesitates her doodling, pouting at Eis. "O-of course I know how to write. I'm not a baby..." Novi grumbles. "If you don't want to stay while I write my wish then fine, you don't have to. I'll put it up all by myself when I'm done." Staying low, she shuffles her feet to turn her back to the boy, hiding her paper now as she starts scribbling something down.

It's just the first thing that pops into her little red head so she's a little disappointed that she couldn't come up with anything better, but Novi also thinks that, since it was a spontaneous thought, that it would be her real dream. Once she finishes she clutches the paper to her chest and stands up. Even though she told him to go away Novi wonders if Eis is still behind her.

Locations:
Town Square
Eis, Novi - wish writing station

"S-sorry," Eis mumbled. He didn't mean to hurt Novi's feelings. Maybe if he got her a snack, she would forgive him?

He stood there awkwardly as she wrote her wish. Occasionally switching from staring at the ground to the back of her head. Should he though? She did sort of tell him to go away. But Snow always said that if you want to say sorry, you have to do it to their face and right away. Waiting until later meant you were a big scaredy cat. And Eis didn't want to be a scaredy cat.

Novi finished soon enough, which made Eis wonder even more why she wanted his help. "I'm sorry, Novi," he said. "I can get you some bread if that'd make you feel better. Cyrille is selling today. Her bread is always yummy."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back